Bye bye CrossFit? Man dies during CrossFit games

Jive Turkey

14 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

I once took fencing at texas. had to q drop because bellmont was way out of the way from the rest of my classes but fuck that was fun. 

I could still epee riposte your ass with a simple turn of my wrist and step forward

My best trick was to be all self-deprecating when facing a new opponent, but when they said "fence" I'd sorta leap through the air and stab em in the face.

• Haha 1

The guy was ranked in the top 100 and has competed in these things all over the world.   He wasn't inexperienced and chances are he's been in the water plenty.  Trying to get specific on what led up to his body failure and caused him to go under doesn't make any sense.   No one here saw his run, no one saw his swim before he was struggling, no one here knows what his prep was or the days leading up to the event.  No one here knows what meds he was on or illness or injuries he may have had.  We saw a 20-second clip of him going under.

The guy was ranked in the top 100 and has competed in these things all over the world.   He wasn't inexperienced and chances are he's been in the water plenty.  Trying to get specific on what led up to his body failure and caused him to go under doesn't make any sense.   No one here saw his run, no one saw his swim before he was struggling, no one here knows what his prep was or the days leading up to the event.  No one here knows what meds he was on or illness or injuries he may have had.  We saw a 20-second clip of him going under.

Shit happens. And when shit happens when people are negligent, then shit really happens. Read between the lines of this post and my previous post in this thread.

17 minutes ago, SameSame said:

Do you fools even #DiedSuddenly?

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

21 minutes ago, SameSame said:

The internet thrives on the bullshit expertise of bullshit artists.
 Surly is one of its brightest stars.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

shit happens when people are negligent, then shit really happens. 

8 minutes ago, AbeFroman said:

thrives on the bullshit expertise of bullshit artists.

Dueling mottos

Who knows what is real anymore.... But I read this dude was a water polo player in Serbia and a licenced life guard. I don't think swimming was his problem if true.  

Did they really run first and then swim?  Again, conflicting stories. 

18 hours ago, Parliament said:

And fit chicks. Some of them are rather attractive.  Sadly though, as the sport got more “professional” and the PED’s came it, the attractiveness fell.  Still some out there. 

A lot of people I know who were into CrossFit 10 years ago are some of the fattest people I know today.

During COVID they didn’t know how to exercise at home like normal human beings because they were used to flailing around on pull up bars at the gym. 

They said fuck it and channeled all their CrossFit energy into sitting on the couch for 12 hours a day watching TikTok videos and drinking from their gigantic oversized cups. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, AbeFroman said:

The internet thrives on the bullshit expertise of bullshit artists.
 Surly is one of its brightest stars.

Sir, I will have you know that Surly is full of lawyers...the most honest, all-knowing people on earth. If you don't believe me, just ask them. 

I was a lifeguard and aquatics manager for 10 years from 15 to 25.  By the end I had open water cert and was a lifeguard trainer for both pool and open water.  Also a competitive swimmer through the masters level.

That guy was a textbook active drowning victim who went down right in front of the safety team. The paddle board and equipment is actually fine— a big part of the open water course is actually using a rescue board with no can or float as its a great way to cover a lot of water and get back. For surf life saving it’s usually the way to go, it gets the victim out of the water and calmed down and gives you a place to gather yourself and get back. 

The safety teams’ training or focus was shit and the event organizers need to have their shit torn apart. 

Open water swims are a crazy risky activity and should never be attempted by someone who isn’t in peak swimming shape and who isn’t completely rested and ready.  Holding an open water swim at the end of an event is absolutely jaw dropping in terms of irresponsibility.

The better and more experienced I got at lifesaving and swimming, the less I became willing to risk it. No one is immune to a cramp, no one is immune to currents, and even a slight chop in a lake changes the game.  No one can see you once you go down and it takes a few seconds of cramp and panic. Great watermen can and do drown all the time.  In the ocean I basically won’t go above standing height without a surf or paddle board. For deep water in lakes I won’t go past about a 20 yard swim to standing up or a boat.  

• Like 2