ATR-72 crash in Brazil

DaysOff

7 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

Damn. That is terrible.

From the article:

It can fly a maximum altitude of 10,000 feet with a maximum speed of 316.9mph. DailyMail.com has contacted ATR for comment. 

The aircraft was PS-VPB, a 14-year-old ATR72-500, according to FlightRadar24.

Data from the flight tracker shows the plane lost 13,000 feet in elevation in under two minutes during the final moments of its ill-fated trip. 

I'm assuming there was a typo somewhere in there? 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

How can you not get the nose down and recover at that altitude?  Feathered prop, loss of control surfaces, weight and balance issues?  Horrible video of that plane going down.

At what altitude?  They didn't look high to me at all.

And they were on their way in for a landing, so draggy configuration.

As OP said, classic stall spin.  

3 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

At what altitude?  They didn't look high to me at all.

And they were on their way in for a landing, so draggy configuration.

As OP said, classic stall spin.  

The flight data seems to indicate the stall/spin started at 15,000 feet.  Also lots of variation in their flight speed prior to the bad ending.  It will be fascinating to figure this one out.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

The ATRs have a pretty good safety record, except for when they get flown into ice.

Yep, have flown on them before in Nepal and South America. Always liked them. Well not this one. This sucks.

14 minutes ago, McCroskey said:

1200 built and like 40 have crashed?

Is that a good safety record?

13 fatal accidents, killing some 500+ persons.  Many of those accidents were obvious pilot error and/or were in Nepal or other third-world countries.  Just spit balling here, but those planes have likely done 10,000,000 cycles by now.  Pretty good record, I'd say.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DalTxHornFan said:

How can you not get the nose down and recover at that altitude?  Feathered prop, loss of control surfaces, weight and balance issues?  Horrible video of that plane going down.

Other area pilots reporting icing at altitude.

/edit to add, I read this second hand.  Obviously, a single engine failure could be possible, which would have made a spin like that hard to recover from.  But damn, to end up a flat spin an aircraft that size is a pretty uncommon situation to say the least.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

That was in 1994. Their boots have been modified for decades, and it's as food as any turboprop in icing.

Still several crashes blamed on icing since then.  Don't know if the accident planes got the mods.  But still a very solid plane.  Can't beat P&W turboprops.

4 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Can't beat P&W turboprops

Not what you mean, but I was just at the heritage flying museum in WA and they have a P&W dual radial engine bisected so you can see the internals (next to a R-R Merlin done the same) and it’s crazy cool engineering. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DaysOff said:

That was in 1994. Their boots have been modified for decades, and it's as food as any turboprop in icing.

I remember reading that American and other carriers only fly them in the tropics, even after the boot mod.  But I don't know shit about piloting - all my info comes from here and youtube.

The video does certainly look like a classic stall spin.  Horrifying.  Is there any way ice can cause that?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DalTxHornFan said:

We have a couple of vintage planes that fly around here.  I love hearing those rotary engines!

There used to be a Corsair that flew out of the old Andrau Airpark in Houston when I still was flying (student) in the early 90s before moving to W. Houston airpark.  I'm not sure if it was the original P&W rebuilt somehow, but that engine was loud AF and sounded like the voice of an angry god.  It's on the runway, quiet idle, then, all of a sudden:  FOGHORN!  Spec-tacular.

Edited by dcbc
radial, not rotary
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Deej said:

Not the way I want to spend the last minute or so of my life. 

You want to go peacefully in your sleep?  Not screaming like your passengers?

/sorry. It couldn't be helped.  Gallows humor. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Similar ATR 72 crash in Nepal last year due to improperly feathered engines, but they lost control at a much lower altitude.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yeti_Airlines_Flight_691

I don't know about ya'll but I'd be hard pressed to get on a plane that Yeti Airlines is flying.   That sounds like the Aggie of airlines.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

How low can you fly in Nepal? Aren’t their giant mountains all over?

I was just there in May. There are mountains to the north. The south is plains.

But you can fly just as low there as you can anywhere else. The ground is still the ground.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

I was just there in May. There are mountains to the north. The south is plains.

But you can fly just as low there as you can anywhere else. The ground is still the ground.

Flight level Zero.  That's why altimeters are adjustable.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

Looks like it pancaked in someone's back yard.

As someone who lives in an Airport flight path, I’m fairly convinced that I’ll go out by having a plane fall on me while I’m taking a shit and posting here.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Royalfan5 said:

As someone who lives in an Airport flight path, I’m fairly convinced that I’ll go out by having a plane fall on me while I’m taking a shit and posting here.

Legend

2 hours ago, Royalfan5 said:

Think of all the potential for being featured in the prologue of a Paul Thomas Anderson movie were that scenario come to pass. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Royalfan5 said:

Not the best humble brag I've ever seen, but...

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

13 fatal accidents, killing some 500+ persons.  Many of those accidents were obvious pilot error and/or were in Nepal or other third-world countries.  Just spit balling here, but those planes have likely done 10,000,000 cycles by now.  Pretty good record, I'd say.

Boeing approves this message/culpability analysis.