CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

Deion Sanders reportedly adds former Michigan, SEC assistant to Colorado staff

ZACH BARNETT          21 HOURS AGO

Deion Sanders is hiring former Michigan, Alabama and Georgia assistant George Helow as a senior defensive assistant at Colorado, The Athletic reported Thursday.

Helow is best known for his two seasons on Jim Harbaugh's Michigan staff. He came aboard as part of Harbaugh's 2021 staff makeover, coaching linebackers of Wolverines staffs that defeated Ohio State, won the Big Ten and reached the College Football Playoff in 2021 and '22. He and Michigan "mutually agreed to part ways" in February 2023.

The Michigan post was Helow's last full-time coaching role. He joined Alabama's staff to help the Crimson Tide prepare to face Michigan in January's Rose Bowl, which the Crimson Tide ultimately lost. 

A former walk-on at Ole Miss, Helow began his career as a defensive intern for Alabama's 2012 national championship team, then won another title as a defensive GA at Florida State in 2013. He spent 2014-15 coaching safeties for Mark Richt at Georgia, and then coached at Colorado State and Maryland before his 2021 arrival in Ann Arbor.

The Helow hiring continues Coach Prime's bolstering of the Colorado defensive staff. Robert Livingston replaced Charles Kelly as coordinator, while Vincent Dancy (defensive ends) and Damione Lewis (defensive line) are new to the staff and/or their roles, and Warren Sapp has come aboard as a senior quality control analyst.

Colorado opens its season against FCS No. 2 North Dakota State on Thursday, Aug. 29 (8 p.m. ET, ESPN).

Veteran defensive coordinator David Gibbs reportedly joining Arizona State staff

Gibbs left the Illinois staff back in April.

DOUG SAMUELS     11 HOURS AGO

According to multiple reports this morning, Kenny Dillingham is adding a veteran defensive play caller to his staff.  David Gibbs, the former defensive coordinator at Houston and Texas Tech, has joined the Sun Devils in an analyst role.

He spent last season as the co-defensive coordinator for Gus Malzahn at UCF where they led the Big 12 in defensive passing yards and were among the top scoring defenses in the league.

Most recently, he was part of Bret Bielema's staff at Illinois where he was the associate head coach and defensive backs coach before he stepped away from the staff in April, citing medical reasons. He had joined the staff initially back in January.

In Tempe, he brings 32 years of coaching experience, including the last 14 seasons in various coordinator capacities in college football. His experience in the Big 12 will help tremendously as the Sun Devils transition to their new league.

I wonder how well Warren Sapp can recruit and develop? Let's say he gets Colorado's D-line working, I wonder if Sark would poach him if Baker can't get it done? Honestly, I think Sark got the right man, he just needs skins on the wall. If Broughton and Collins breakout, and January gets a lot of time and shows out, then that's a great selling point. It could impact Myron Charles' interest and ultimate flip (which I think happens anyway since he and Sharma want to play together). And I think one of the newly offered committed kids flip, too. That's 3 DT'S for Baker to work with. 

Just a thought exercise, really. 

I wonder how well Warren Sapp can recruit and develop? Let's say he gets Colorado's D-line working, I wonder if Sark would poach him if Baker can't get it done? Honestly, I think Sark got the right man, he just needs skins on the wall. If Broughton and Collins breakout, and January gets a lot of time and shows out, then that's a great selling point. It could impact Myron Charles' interest and ultimate flip (which I think happens anyway since he and Sharma want to play together). And I think one of the newly offered committed kids flip, too. That's 3 DT'S for Baker to work with. 

Just a thought exercise, really. 

Warren Sapp's rap sheet precludes him from getting a job at Texas, IMO

• In 2020 he was fired from NFL Network for solicitation of a prostitute, a charge he pleaded guilty to
  • In the same above incident, he was also charged with 2 counts of assault.  I suspect those charges were dropped as part of his plea deal
  • He pleaded guilty to domestic violence of his girlfriend in 2015
  • In 2015, he was charged with assault an solicitation - the charges were dropped

That's all I have the energy to find, but he's not coming to Texas.

I do not think Baylor or Penn State would even consider hiring him.  But Deion, of course.

Edited by boilerhorn
more info
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, boilerhorn said:

Warren Sapp's rap sheet precludes him from getting a job at Texas, IMO

• In 2020 he was fired from NFL Network for solicitation of a prostitute, a charge he pleaded guilty to
  • In the same above incident, he was also charged with 2 counts of assault.  I suspect those charges were dropped as part of his plea deal
  • He pleaded guilty to domestic violence of his girlfriend in 2015
  • In 2015, he was charged with assault an solicitation - the charges were dropped

That's all I have the energy to find, but he's not coming to Texas.

I do not think Baylor or Penn State would even consider hiring him.  But Deion, of course.

Appreciate you looking that up. Yeah# he's not coming here, and for good reason. We don't need a piece of shit like that on our staff. 

Baylor, aggy, Pedo State, and Michigan State would love his services. 

Fuck Warren Sapp. What a miserable lowlife piece of shit. Can’t believe the CU Board of Regents didn’t reject the hire; violent criminals don’t belong on campus of a state institution.

Anyway, where is the evidence that Sapp can even coach his way out of a paper sack. Most high achievers like him really have a hard time adjusting to the rigors and time load of a position coach.

• 3 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Florida in bind that they have to move on, but choices are really limited currently for a program building coach at Florida's level. I think Odom is the only realistic option. (I can't see Kiffin moving to that pressure cooker job)

Gata #1 target is likely   Dan Lanning

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Gata #1 target is likely   Dan Lanning

lol... yeah he'd turn down Alabama opportunity but then take the Florida dumpster fire.. Gator fans dreaming on that one

1 hour ago, Horn Dogg said:

Rumor is Urban Meyer to Florida/Michigan/Notre Dame/Ohio State/errwhere….

Urban's said he's done coaching and I believe it. He's not cut out for the 24/7 recruiting/nil style of game today. Family would disown him and he's doing just fine now.

It's really slim pickings right now. Who are the really attractive coaches that would move the booster needle enough to pay them what they are going to require?

• Like 1

Nebraska is not what I'd consider a destination job, but they may have enough money to keep a guy like Rhule long-term now that he has already tried dipping his toes in the NFL. My own gut is that the Florida is not the place nor now the time. I would not be shocked to see him at Michigan after another year or two.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, TOR said:

The Elk was first on their list.  /aggy

Odom was caught in a political issue not of his making at mizzou and fired running a solid program.  If he keeps unlv rocking he’s getting another top retire gig.  

If he has choices would he go to Florida?  Patience is short there.  Return to Arkansas after Pittman gets fired?  Odom running D with Petrino as OC is a potent mix.  There will be other gigs to choose as well.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

lol... yeah he'd turn down Alabama opportunity but then take the Florida dumpster fire.. Gator fans dreaming on that one

Urban's said he's done coaching and I believe it. He's not cut out for the 24/7 recruiting/nil style of game today. Family would disown him and he's doing just fine now.

It's really slim pickings right now. Who are the really attractive coaches that would move the booster needle enough to pay them what they are going to require?

Doesn’t stop the aggy of the world from starting rumors that they are going to hire him.

25 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Odom was caught in a political issue not of his making at mizzou and fired running a solid program.  If he keeps unlv rocking he’s getting another top retire gig.  

If he has choices would he go to Florida?  Patience is short there.  Return to Arkansas after Pittman gets fired?  Odom running D with Petrino as OC is a potent mix.  There will be other gigs to choose as well.

Odom and Florida feels right for them both

Looking at Napier and Norvell it does seem like to right a program you need more than a good coach. You need a couple vocal players in the locker room to help things along. They just haven't found/recruited/got those. Both those guys know how to coach based on their history, but just not working with current set of players in current environment.

Florida is in quite the pickle. Do they let Billy coach 5 or 6 more games before axing him for an interim and have a normal coaching search timeline?  Do they axe him now and have an interim for 9 games- even risking that interim performing well and being pressured into hiring him?  Would that lame duck staff do anything in recruiting?  They can’t hire a new coach in September or October.  Maybe if it was someone not currently coaching, they could have an announcement for recruiting purposes but that presupposes they could get someone like Meyer or Peterson (or chizik or jimbo!) to onboard for a fixer upper gig. 

Head coach evaluations have changed imo. Now you need to have one that can coach and navigate the changing landscape brought on by the NIL era. Another data point in the selection process. There are some coaches that may be capable of handling both (Sark, Kiffin, for example) and some good coaches that would not be optimal under the new landscape.

31 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Why would a coach leave Tenn for Fla? Those are the same job.

That's what I said. More words though. But that doesn't mean they wouldn't ask.

15 minutes ago, OB3 said:

Drinkwitz? Gator is an upgrade over mizzou

It's an upgrade, maybe. Definitely a higher ceiling. But taking over that dumpster fire when everyone is super ragey isn't great. Drink has it pretty good where he is at, in the big scheme of things. Not because they have a super high ceiling, or could be world beaters; he's like when k-state hired Snyder. Not the same people, but similar situation. He's treated very, very well there. If he keeps on like he has been, which is decent mid-tier, he'll be a hero there. Look what their last "hero" coach gave them: some decent bowl wins, won the sec east. All while a drunk with a few dui's locally. But they treated him and speak of him like he was the second coming of Bear Bryant.

Gata situation reminds me of USC a few years back when they had to stick with Helton when their school president had to resign. 

Florida has to get a new president and then deal with their shitty AD before they can sack Billy. They may be stuck with him for the rest of the season.