CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

20 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Why would a coach leave Tenn for Fla? Those are the same job.

Florida is a better job. Better recruiting grounds, more recent success, just a general step up. UTenn being located in Knoxville is great if you like hiking, not great if you are trying to recruit a lot of the Southeast.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/14/2024 at 11:08 PM, Butch Had Not said:

Odom, kiffin, or Jedd the next coach?

Why would Kiffin go there? He'll probably make the playoffs and Ole Miss has the money. He's always everyone's first, but I highly doubt he wants or will go to that circus. Same with Jedd Fisch. That place is more radioactive than Pripyat.

What about Gus Malzahn? He knows the SEC, and he's not bad at UCF. 

Edited by Funk Doctor Spock

13 minutes ago, Funk Doctor Spock said:

Why would Kiffin go there? He'll probably make the playoffs and Ole Miss has the money. He's always everyone's first, but I highly doubt he wants or will go to that circus. Same with Jedd Fisch. That place is more radioactive than Pripyat.

He might be frustrated with coaches getting poached every off-season as well as his perceived best players. He has a longer runway to fuck up at Ole miss than Florida for sure but he would be paid handsomely at Florida. He was petty close to taking the auburn job from reports. 

Jedd hasn't stayed anywhere very long and it's known he's from Florida.  Would he leave? I don't know but he's not about loyalty. 

So who do they get? They aren't going to take a chance on a chadwell. The next hot coordinator? Ex SEC coach that was previously fired? What's the play here?

13 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

He might be frustrated with coaches getting poached every off-season as well as his perceived best players. He has a longer runway to fuck up at Ole miss than Florida for sure but he would be paid handsomely at Florida. He was petty close to taking the auburn job from reports. 

Jedd hasn't stayed anywhere very long and it's known he's from Florida.  Would he leave? I don't know but he's not about loyalty. 

So who do they get? They aren't going to take a chance on a chadwell. The next hot coordinator? Ex SEC coach that was previously fired? What's the play here?

That's a good question. Maybe they do swing away and go for Odom, who would be a great coach. And yeah, it does suck that people poach Ole Miss players, but it also shows how good Kiffin is at evaluation. Kiffin and Florida just don't seem like it would work, just because of the time he would need to truly get that place in order. 

There's really no one out there at the moment that their fans are going to be satisfied with. No Sark, Deboer, Smart, Lanning's. Maybe they can poach Brian Kelly lol. I'm sure LSU fans would be happy with that. 

Kiffin is going to have to make his final jump at some point.  Florida throwing money at him is probably one of their better options.  He understands the portal and would guarantee they have a good offense.  Just make sure he hires a good DC.

Edited by kevwun

As others have said, they took a huge flyer on Napier.  A few years at ULALA and prior to that no real big jobs at big programs.  UF will need to go proven P5, now P4 winner imo. They are another bad hire from going the Texas/Neb route of wandering the netherlands for a decade.  Kiffin will be the guy.  Ole Miss is a stepping stone job and NIL and portal has more sway at UF, long term.

Plus Lagway is the key piece. Kiffin with a stud (yet unproven) QB talent for a couple more years vs having to portal a guy every year is a way better route to go.

Edited by jdhorn92
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Florida is a better job. Better recruiting grounds, more recent success, just a general step up. UTenn being located in Knoxville is great if you like hiking, not great if you are trying to recruit a lot of the Southeast.

Meh, with NIL, if you have the cash, you can get the recruits.  

Also, not sure what you mean by "more recent success".  Since 2013, Florida has only 1 more win than Tennessee, and the same number of losses.  But obviously they are trending in different directions right now.  

Plus, Tennesse has virtually no in-state competition for top homegrown recruits (Maybe Vandy, but that's it), and recruits just as well regionally/nationally as UF.

Add in that Knoxville is a way better place to live than Gainsville, and assuming the financial packages were the same, I'd take the Tennessee job 100-out-of-100 times.

3 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Meh, with NIL, if you have the cash, you can get the recruits.  

Also, not sure what you mean by "more recent success".  Since 2013, Florida has only 1 more win than Tennessee, and the same number of losses.  But obviously they are trending in different directions right now.  

Plus, Tennesse has virtually no in-state competition for top homegrown recruits (Maybe Vandy, but that's it), and recruits just as well regionally/nationally as UF.

Add in that Knoxville is a way better place to live than Gainsville, and assuming the financial packages were the same, I'd take the Tennessee job 100-out-of-100 times.

They've won multiple championships in my memory. I was 8 when Tennessee won their last one. Recruits' parents were just in college.

6 hours ago, texifornia said:

They've won multiple championships in my memory. I was 8 when Tennessee won their last one. Recruits' parents were just in college.

That's the point.  Our recent memory and that of the recruits are different... the class of 2025 was just born when UF won their last NC.

I get your point, but you'd have to pay me way over market to get me to move to the shithole known as Gainsville, Fl.

Edited by DixonHur

20 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Florida will hire James Franklin. My hot take. 

Finally a name I could see Florida actually going after that might say yes.  Plus is would lead to speculation that Elko would be in the mix for Penn State and if nothing else force A&M to give him a raise and giant new contract.

• Haha 8

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Finally a name I could see Florida actually going after that might say yes.  Plus is would lead to speculation that Elko would be in the mix for Penn State and if nothing else force A&M to give him a raise and giant new contract.

Why would Penn St wanna hire a 5-7 Elko from aggy?

4 hours ago, 'stache said:

Why would Heupel take the OU job, didn't they essentially fire him as OC before he started having success?

Kansas could hire Huepel and turn him into the next Mangino.  Huepel would need to step it up at the Golden Corral, but he’s well on his way.

speaking of Huepel…..image.thumb.jpeg.08845bc2bb217a068b270d908b0d8591.jpeg

Edited by Horn Dogg
  • Hook 'Em 2

It feels Fisch already made his decision to stay out west. Napier barely makes it out of 2023, and he takes the UDub job anyway. 

It kind of feels like Florida will go all in Kiffin, screw it up, and hire Franklin. There’s really not a Sark type out there. Will Stein is a good OC, but he’s pretty inexperienced for a job that big. 

14 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

It feels Fisch already made his decision to stay out west. Napier barely makes it out of 2023, and he takes the UDub job anyway. 

It kind of feels like Florida will go all in Kiffin, screw it up, and hire Franklin. There’s really not a Sark type out there. Will Stein is a good OC, but he’s pretty inexperienced for a job that big. 

What about ol Gus? Would he or Odom sprint to Arkansas and whoever was available first gets it?

7 hours ago, Butch Had Not said:

What about ol Gus? Would he or Odom sprint to Arkansas and whoever was available first gets it?

Stein might be a good fit at piggy? But that’s a total tear down and rebuild. It’d take longer than 3 years, and I’m not sure any college coach has that much time anymore. 

They should hire a Klieman type and hope they’re bowling in Year 2. 

On 9/17/2024 at 2:50 PM, Jkwellborn said:

On one of the broadcasts this weekend, they said something about getting away from the stoops era with Venables. I mean, he’s been gone a while now.

I think Stoops pulls a Bill Snyder and comes back one more time. 

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

I'm not sure anyone would want to touch that burning dumpster at Florida. 

It's a total rebuild.

Unless Franklin just wants to be in Florida it makes no sense, heupal and kiffin have shit rolling. Can always be surprised.

Florida needs to hire an experienced staff. 

Tom Herman as HC , Strong as DC it's a match in Florida heaven 

19 minutes ago, BigHornedLurker said:

I'm not sure anyone would want to touch that burning dumpster at Florida. 

It's a total rebuild.

Unless Franklin just wants to be in Florida it makes no sense, heupal and kiffin have shit rolling. Can always be surprised.

Florida needs to hire an experienced staff. 

Tom Herman as HC , Strong as DC it's a match in Florida heaven 

Penn State is getting frustrated with Franklin's Mack Brown Lite performance every year. Could be a graceful way to get out before the seat gets hot.