Hit songs that have faded into obscurity

jimmyjazz

Posted (edited)

The Debby Boone track may win the thread going away.  Holy shit.  I had totally forgotten about that song, but man it was HUGE.

Exile is interesting.  I actually like "Kiss You All Over", but those guys spent decades chasing fame, switching genres, firing or losing key members, just on and on.  Tip of the cap to the now outsider Tenacious D dude Kyle Gass for his cover in "Wild Hogs".

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Like 1

The Debby Boone track may win the thread going away.  Holy shit.  I had totally forgotten about that song, but man it was HUGE.
Exile is interesting.  I actually like "Kiss You All Over", but those guys spent decades chasing fame, switching genres, firing or losing key members, just on and on.  Tip of the cap to the now outsider Tenacious D dude Kyle Gass for his cover in "Wild Hogs".

Exile holds a special place in my heart. Was living in Waco in the late 80s when they came to town. Wife and I were basically friends at the time. Her and a friend of hers had tix for the concert. Her friend had to bail because of a headache. She called me to see if I wanted to go and I agreed. Basically have been together since that night.
  • Hook 'Em 3

The Debby song popped into my head immediately when I saw the thread title. That shit was #1 for like 11 weeks in a row in early 77.  I had the 45 as a kid.

Do I own the album now? Of course I do.

CD64FCE3-76DE-4C37-9D65-432E38490B79.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

There are a ton of other songs from that era that are long gone. “Disco Duck” went to #1, and I think “Run Joey Run” did as well. Awful stuff. And yes, I owned them both on 45 back then too. But I also had “Magic Man” and “Walk This Way” because I loved everything.

25 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

Leave us not forget the total embarrassment that is The Night That the Lights Went Out in Georgia. 

That's better than "The Night Chicago Died".

Or even worse, "Billy Don't Be A Hero".

• Hook 'Em 2

20 hours ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

Exile holds a special place in my heart. Was living in Waco in the late 80s when they came to town. Wife and I were basically friends at the time. Her and a friend of hers had tix for the concert. Her friend had to bail because of a headache. She called me to see if I wanted to go and I agreed. Basically have been together since that night.

Similar story except it was a Cher concert.  Been together in spite of that night.

On 8/10/2024 at 12:56 PM, jimmyjazz said:

I was surprised by this song popping up in a stream today.  I doubt I've heard it in 30 years, but it was a pretty big hit.  Others?

I don't suspect that will be on the set list for the concert on Sunday.  I'll let you know.

• Haha 1

I was listening to XM 90's station the other day when Boyz II Men came on.  Haven't heard any of their stuff in a while, but for us Gen Xers, you couldn't escape Boyz II Men from 1992-1995.  They were probably the biggest selling group of that time period.  These two songs spent 14 and 13 weeks at #1 on the Billboard.  Now, you never ever hear them.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Macanudo said:

Obscure? I feel like I hear this song once a week nowadays in one form or another. And it's the opposite of obscure. Everybody knows it. 

I wanted to add this next song but it turns out it never charted anywhere. I could have sworn it was a huge hit. I guess I underestimated the American public.

36 minutes ago, ajax said:

I wanted to add this next song but it turns out it never charted anywhere. I could have sworn it was a huge hit. I guess I underestimated the American public.

I'm quite sure that's the worst song I've ever heard, and I believe I've only heard it once -- 5 minutes ago.

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm quite sure that's the worst song I've ever heard, and I believe I've only heard it once -- 5 minutes ago.

I would agree with you if the very not obscure song "One Night in Bangkok" didn't exist. The Harley Davidson song at least is goofy in addition to being cringe. "Bangkok" is straight uncut cringe.

2 hours ago, ajax said:

Obscure? I feel like I hear this song once a week nowadays in one form or another. And it's the opposite of obscure. Everybody knows it. 

It was a huge club hit in the 80s. Charts mean nothing. I can post a dozen huge 80s club hits that never charted.

And the fact that jimmyjazz doesn't like it or ever went to any clubs that played it is hardly surprising.

2 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

And the fact that jimmyjazz doesn't like it or ever went to any clubs that played it is hardly surprising.

Kiss my ass.  You'd be surprised at the clubs I regularly attended, but username checks out regardless.  Plus, no taste.

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Kiss my ass.  You'd be surprised at the clubs I regularly attended, but username checks out regardless.  Plus, no taste.

You obviously never went to any dance clubs in the 80s because everyone played that song. And you would have heard it. Like I said, not surprising. You're a solid member of the surly "I Like Both Kinds of Music: RAWK and Country" cabal.

lol, "no taste"

1 minute ago, rage-a-holic said:

You obviously never went to any dance clubs in the 80s because everyone played that song. And you would have heard it. Like I said, not surprising. You're a solid member of the surly "I Like Both Kinds of Music: RAWK and Country" cabal.

lol, "no taste"

I assure you I was at those clubs, along with the punk clubs, the alt-rock clubs, the hard rock clubs, the dance clubs straight and gay.  I probably averaged 6 nights out a week for 15 years.  Try not getting liquored up before posting, it's a pretty common theme with you.

I'm going through billboard archives and looking at number 1s exclusively trying to find some songs that are lost. I never heard this one and it was number 1 in the early 80s. All the others that I think I don't know (like kenny Roger's and dolly, I immediately know from the songs chorus and hook). 

Is this one bigger than I think?

6 hours ago, Butch Had Not said:

I'm going through billboard archives and looking at number 1s exclusively trying to find some songs that are lost. I never heard this one and it was number 1 in the early 80s. All the others that I think I don't know (like kenny Roger's and dolly, I immediately know from the songs chorus and hook). 

Is this one bigger than I think?

I remember that song was quite popular. I don't know how long it topped the charts but, people liked it, a lot.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:

Billy Ocean with the trifecta - When the Going Gets Tough, the Tough Gets Going; Get Out of My Dreams, Get Into My Car; and Caribean Queen.

You don’t listen to Yacht Rock or The Bridge is you don’t hear Caribbean Queen regularly.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

You don’t listen to Yacht Rock or The Bridge is you don’t hear Caribbean Queen regularly.

No. I listen to LL Cool J's Rock the Bells Radio, 1st Wave, Willie's Roadhouse, BB King's Bluesville, and Bluegrass Junction.  Billy Ocean free zones all.

• Like 1