Hunting 24/25: big bucks and a lot of ducks!

markstanco

Let’s goooo! Sorghum and brown top is planted at the duck holes, 350 pounds of corn in the feeder this morning (we got to stop this crazy expensive corn) and headed back tomorrow to do some minor cleanup.

I’m heading to a high end dove hunt in Uvalde in the middle of September to kick things off.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

What's a 50lb bag of corn up to now?

Heading out to the ranch in 2 weeks to clean up / load feeders. Getting excited....we've had a super wet spring / early summer. Let's go!

10-13 depending on a 40 or 50 pound bag in my parts.

40 lb bags of corn should go in the Enshittening Thread - I want 50 lb bags.

My son and I are heading out to the ranch tonight to fix some wildlife water troughs, setup cameras and practice shooting my bow at distance. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Posted (edited)

If you have kids that hunt and fish, that lifetime license when they turn 18 is a great gift. It's up to $1800 now. 

I bought mine after reading an article about the price going from $500 to $1000. 

Edited by tx 3 putt

11 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

If you have kids that hunt and fish, that lifetime license when they turn 18 is a great gift. It's up to $1800 now. 

I bought mine after reading an article about the price going from $500 to $1000. 

I left Texas shortly before they started offering lifetime licenses back in the '80s. In the 40 years since, I've spent thousands for tags to hunt our own place in the Hill Country.  The fact I've also hunted a lot of other Texas places in that span has softened the blow, but not much. 

1 hour ago, Gut Wagon said:

I left Texas shortly before they started offering lifetime licenses back in the '80s. In the 40 years since, I've spent thousands for tags to hunt our own place in the Hill Country.  The fact I've also hunted a lot of other Texas places in that span has softened the blow, but not much. 

I remember thinking at the time …. I better live 7 more years to get my money back 😂😂😂😂

if there’s family land \ hunting spot in play, it’s a no brainer 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I didn't reset the date when i changed the batteries before i set it to video mode. This was August 5th. Third season in Arkansas and haven't taken on yet. Hopefully this is the year.

Edit to say not sure if there is a better way to upload cheap camera videos.

IMAG0168.avi

Edited by Ragde

On 8/16/2024 at 10:44 PM, tx 3 putt said:

I did the same.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Final Monday of the year where it's not one of the major hunting seasons.

Went and renewed my super combo this past weekend. Have a morning dove hunt scheduled for 9/3 and then penciling in a quick trip to my lease that following weekend to see if I can put a small dent in the hog population.

TPWD press release yesterday says it was a banner year for the population.

A rainy spring and early summer led to a good nesting season through most of the state and near record high populations of mourning and white-wing doves across large portions of Texas. Hunters could encounter significantly increased dove populations in the field when the 2024 season opens Sept. 1.

Spring population surveys conducted by Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD) staff found an estimated 34.3 million mourning doves in Texas, the third highest estimated population in survey history.  White-winged dove populations have increased four percent, becoming the new record high with an estimated 12.8 million this year.

On 8/10/2024 at 9:47 PM, Izhmash said:

What's a 50lb bag of corn up to now?

Heading out to the ranch in 2 weeks to clean up / load feeders. Getting excited....we've had a super wet spring / early summer. Let's go!

$9 per 50 lb bag in Devine

• Hook 'Em 1

Got the kids shooting 22s today and wokked on feeders and cameras.

7fdc7974dbe12eed2b719c7abf138744.jpg

Put my cold bore shot and two followers on a 10” target at 659 yards with my 7PRC; ready for my elk hunt. I Posted this in the gun thread as well, best cold bore shot I’ve ever made, feeling good.

6afe842049a940c6138655cd44d59c9f.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Toyed with the idea of heading up to my lease today, but weather has been shitty. Not a lot of fun up there when it's raining off and on all day and the sandy roads turn to mush.

Forecast for next weekend looks just about perfect, so penciling in a trip Saturday morning. One thing real nice about having a place only 2 hours away. Gonna go sit out on the watering hole in the evening and kill some beers (and hopefully a few dove) and then enjoy some cooler weather around the firepit. Get up that next morning and try to pick off one of the pigs that's been stopping by our new feeder every morning.

Man I love this time of year.

• Hook 'Em 3

Got in a successful hunt just outside of Sealy this morning. Birds were flying high and fast, but luckily there were a ton of them. Our group of 5 probably took damn near 200 shots, ended up with 49 birds in the truck and lost probably 8 or 9 that fell into the thick stuff. Not a bad way to start the work week after a 3 day weekend.

• Hook 'Em 2

How are we feeling about the digital license vs paper now?  I was talked out of digital last year.  Most everywhere I hunt is MLD, if that matters.

I think the big problem was digital tagging: it’s a PITA, saves no time/steps, and there was anecdotal data of TPWD using location data from when/where digital tags were filed to find/roll up on hunting camps (unacceptable). Here’s the info on digital tagging:

5 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I also don't see any value in the digital license.  You can upload your license to the Outdoor Annual app to show the wardens in the field if need be.

Yep. This is what I do. I always get a printed license when I renew at Academy each August, but also update my OA app each year to have on my phone in case I forget/misplace.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 inches? You southwest of Coleman??

Missed opening day because of work but the rains got me home a week early so I’ll take it. Got out yesterday and this morning and only got to shoot at a few; everything flying real damn high.

Academy has 40 Lb bags of corn for $7.99

• Hook 'Em 1

Another beautiful morning.  North breeze and 71 degrees.

20240907_063404.thumb.jpg.27c701dfbf3debe67867d3d56149469d.jpg

Not many birds flying, though.  Ended up with three on nine shots.  Made a great breakfast - breasts sautéed in butter with jalapeño and onions.  Couple eggs over eazy.  Boom. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

So my son took his first deer on Friday. We spent Saturday morning cutting it up and when we were finished i checked my phone and it was Texas 24 Michigan 3 at halftime. Pretty pretty good weekend. 

I would like to tip my hat to the first hunt foundation for getting us out there, since I have no idea. Any financial or volunteer support you can give to them would be appreciated. 

ps 95 degrees all weekend in September up close to Canada?  Wtf. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, 686 said:

@Pato del Muerto doe I’m assuming? How did he do lining up the shot? Any shakes/nerves? Nice job finding a way to get him out and glad you had a good experience!

Yep damage doe from about 145 yards. No issues, waited like a champ while she kept moving, put a shot thru her lungs with a .243.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Filled feeders in Doss yesterday. Corn at the grocery store in Llano (hwy 29) was $8.49 / 50-lb bag. 

Also had the pleasure of saying hello to this friendly little (big) guy....super cool to see up close in the wild. (edit: he was about 12' up in a small live oak)

image.thumb.jpeg.4bbae9703fa3573b75c327c9611d7b13.jpeg

Edited by Izhmash
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So my son took his first deer on Friday. We spent Saturday morning cutting it up and when we were finished i checked my phone and it was Texas 24 Michigan 3 at halftime. Pretty pretty good weekend. 

I would like to tip my hat to the first hunt foundation for getting us out there, since I have no idea. Any financial or volunteer support you can give to them would be appreciated. 

ps 95 degrees all weekend in September up close to Canada?  Wtf. 

Signed up my kid as a mentee.

Do you need to find a mentor or does the organization find one for you? I can't find any instructions on the website.