Hunting 24/25: big bucks and a lot of ducks!

markstanco

59 minutes ago, zman13 said:

Signed up my kid as a mentee.

Do you need to find a mentor or does the organization find one for you? I can't find any instructions on the website.

The org provides.

they have rifles and ammo, and can usually get you an orange vest if you don’t have your own.  All meals were provided, and they had the land owner permission ahead of time.  This is in WA state, might be different in different states with different regs. They operate in all 50 states btw. Apparently there’s good axis deer hunting in Hawaii- file that away. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 1

For potential youth hunters in Texas, you should consider signing your kid up through the Texas Youth Hunting Program. For the last 3 years, my ranch has hosted a group of 4 youth hunters, their parents and volunteers from the program who guide and cook. The kids enjoy it and get to learn about hunting, etc. On my ranch, they each can take up to 2 does and unlimited pigs.

Its an excellent program.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

I think this is the year I finally breakdown and get an over under for dove hunting. I’ve been looking at the Browning website and am overwhelmed by the number of options. There are at least 20 different kinds of citoris. Any recs for a good high quality over under that’ll last forever that I can pass down to my boy? Would like to keep it under $3K so I know they limits the options. Not married to browning. That’s just what I’ve always had in mind.

Good used O/Us Other than Citoris (I don’t follow current manufacture that closely, but these have been good for decades):

Beretta
Browning Superposed
Weatherby Orion
Ruger Red Label
Winchester 101

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, Gale Snoats said:

I think this is the year I finally breakdown and get an over under for dove hunting. I’ve been looking at the Browning website and am overwhelmed by the number of options. There are at least 20 different kinds of citoris. Any recs for a good high quality over under that’ll last forever that I can pass down to my boy? Would like to keep it under $3K so I know they limits the options. Not married to browning. That’s just what I’ve always had in mind.

I was gifted a Citori Feather Lightning 12 ga as my college graduation gift 23 years ago.  Absolutely love that gun for field shooting.  Great for dove and quail.  Barrel is a bit short for shooting clays, but it holds its own.  Looks like they're slightly over $3K now.  

https://www.browning.com/products/firearms/shotguns/citori/citori-feather-lightning.html?srsltid=AfmBOop4LodFkqH_5Z6-48agFIToyjzx_9B8Vrf5hWlLN3ok5kV2bSxu

If you're not big into shooting clays, don't mess with the adjustable stocks.  Most of the CX and hunter edition Citoris are great guns and under that $3K mark.  

At the other end of the spectrum, I bought a Stevens 555 20 ga for my wife about a decade ago.  Super lightweight gun and really fun to shoot.  You're not going to turn heads with it, but it's a solid gun.  Under $1,000.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/stevens-model-555-silver-over-under-shotgun

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, Gale Snoats said:

There’s a really nice Belgian-made 20 gauge Browning Superimposed in Gun Broker in 26” barrel, perfect for quick swing on dove and quail:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1056724559

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, MalibuSheriff said:

There’s a really nice Belgian-made 20 gauge Browning Superimposed in Gun Broker in 26” barrel, perfect for quick swing on dove and quail:

I answered it on gun thread, but that’s where I would (and do) look in that price. Some really nice options on guns that were built better, lock up tighter, and are prettier than what’s in that price range today, imo. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I answered it on gun thread, but that’s where I would (and do) look in that price. Some really nice options on guns that were built better, lock up tighter, and are prettier than what’s in that price range today, imo. 

I've got a 1967 (non salt) 20 gauge, 26" tubes, and immaculate shape that I might be willing to part with...

Did some feeder and blind work yesterday getting ready for bow season. Stopped in at Cattle Drive Cafe for supper, damn good food in there if you are in the neighborhood. This is in Coleman, Texas btw.

288F6CE8-F437-4B3D-B1F6-900CA333C7AE.jpeg

Edited by RMac5
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

30 minutes ago, markstanco said:

All packed up for an 8 hour drive to Uvalde at 5:30a for some gray darts all weekend. 20,000 acre ranch, lazy river, fishing… yall can kiss my ass and be jealous.

I am for sure. Had to turn down a Ulvalde hunt that’s typically awesome af. Good luck down there.   

• Like 1

On 9/13/2024 at 10:02 PM, Cousin Strawberry said:

We shot 15 limits in an hour the first day.  15 limits in an hour the second day. 12 limits in 30 minutes the last day we hunted.  We hunted by our trucks on the 2nd and third day. Didn't shoot a bird that landed more than 10 yards from us.

Very nice.  Is that a private place or a place that can be leased for the weekend? 

It's been decades since I've dove hunted in the south and we are thinking about doing an opening south zone weekend trip next year.  I have no idea where to begin identifying the right spot.

2 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Very nice.  Is that a private place or a place that can be leased for the weekend? 

It's been decades since I've dove hunted in the south and we are thinking about doing an opening south zone weekend trip next year.  I have no idea where to begin identifying the right spot.

It's $175 per and open till it fills up.  This was last year.  Im hunting with same crew this T,F,S same landowners but different spot. I'll report back nest week. 

Place from video was on the other side of the border wall.  Hunting between Harlingen and Los Indios this year.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Had a very tough hunt Saturday.  Beat the shit out of doing anything else though, so, no complaints. Pretty sure I drank every beer in Jim Wells county this weekend. 

I too had a tough hunt in Jim Wells.  Front moved all the birds out.  Zero agriculture in that county.

On 9/12/2024 at 12:47 PM, RMac5 said:

Did some feeder and blind work yesterday getting ready for bow season. Stopped in at Cattle Drive Cafe for supper, damn good food in there if you are in the neighborhood. This is in Coleman, Texas btw.

288F6CE8-F437-4B3D-B1F6-900CA333C7AE.jpeg

YES!  One of my favorite places.  Bartender is an ag, but he's a good guy.  Last year took my son and we watched Texas mudhole OSU.  Only spots were at the bar so we saddled up and I drank bloody Mary's and he had Dr Peppers.  Place was like a Texas watch party.  Wall to wall orange!  When Sweat caught that pass the place exploded.

Next time you are there try the Kylee special with steak.  My picky ass kid ordered it twice in as many days.  Like a chipotle steak bowl swimming in queso.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah I love being in there and they do have great food. Love their hand battered onion rings and burgers. CFS is worth ordering as well. Didn’t know he was an aggy, he was a good dude like you said. There was an old man sitting at the bar that was curious if I had been bird hunting since I still had my Chipp boots on, really enjoyed visiting with him.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

If you are looking for a package deal, Mark Katzfey with Katzfey Ranches outside George West has a pretty great operation and would be my top pic. The food is really good and he doesn't overcrowd or over hunt his fields. If you need lodging anyway, I think his prices are very reasonable.  The Bader Ranch in Hondo is great on the September 1 opener and can be good other times as well, but it books up very early (I think I checked their calendar in April of this year and they were already completely booked).  Steve Wilson is a good outfitter out of Hondo with a lot of different properties that allows him to stay on the birds pretty well.  I've also had good shoots with Mark Robertson (recommended by deadshank years ago) and Steve Ramby out of Uvalde. I've generally had better hunts on the September 1 opener than the South Zone, although I've shot plenty of limits on the South Zone opener too.  Hope that gives you some starting points.             

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/22/2024 at 10:58 AM, Storm the Field said:

Just started feeding at one of our new stands the other day. LIttle shits have started showing up religiously every morning.

Hogs.thumb.jpg.9971f9a99da58c7650d4c6a0369a2561.jpg

Big ol' sumbitch showed up on this camera yesterday afternoon. Easily over 150 lbs. I'm champing at the bit to get back out there but it's just so damn hot right now, I'd probably keel over in the stand during an afternoon hunt.

Looking like a mild front might arrive by next weekend. If so, I got some bidness to handle.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hunters, 2 limits. I killed 22 birds and recovered 15. Hunting on a levy with the wind and did not have access to the property where birds were falling. Very weird setup, sunflower fields but long grass in the rows that made recovery almost impossible.   We did have some weather that no doubt affected flight but price went  from $150 to $175 a hunter and not worth it.  Im down here fly fishing for reds for 3 days and the full moon probably fucked that too.

On 9/10/2024 at 11:15 AM, MalibuSheriff said:

Browning Superposed 20 gauge is by far the best shotgun I have ever shot. It's a perfect shotgun. HOWEVER they are a minimum of 40 and may be 70+ years old. 

On 9/18/2024 at 11:27 AM, Storm the Field said:

Big ol' sumbitch showed up on this camera yesterday afternoon. Easily over 150 lbs. I'm champing at the bit to get back out there but it's just so damn hot right now, I'd probably keel over in the stand during an afternoon hunt.

Looking like a mild front might arrive by next weekend. If so, I got some bidness to handle.

One of the guys hunted that stand yesterday. Shot one pig about 10 minutes before the feeder went off and then shot another that walked right up to the corpse about 15 minutes later. Dumbasses.

Big Boy is still at large. I'm definitely leaning towards heading up next weekend. Need to go up anyways and fix a feeder at another stand. 

Edited by Storm the Field
  • Hook 'Em 1