Hunting 24/25: big bucks and a lot of ducks!

markstanco

I saw my first mountain lion of my life last week here in Oklahoma. We hunt 1,200 acres and pick up a new 160 a half mile away. Went to walk down a steep embankment and there he/she was laying under a cedar. It stood up and king of looked at me and just kind of walked away. Never had one on camera or seen one with me own eyes, but I’ve always heard stories about him being around. It was pretty damn cool. I will say it was bigger than I expected. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, Pdawg88 said:

I saw my first mountain lion of my life last week here in Oklahoma. We hunt 1,200 acres and pick up a new 160 a half mile away. Went to walk down a steep embankment and there he/she was laying under a cedar. It stood up and king of looked at me and just kind of walked away. Never had one on camera or seen one with me own eyes, but I’ve always heard stories about him being around. It was pretty damn cool. I will say it was bigger than I expected. 

I have an unnatural fear of big cats in the dark and snapping turtles when i cant see my feet in the water. What part of Oklahoma are you in? I'm 20 minutes east of Broken Bow and am hoping you aren't close to me. Yes im aware there could be others. The old timers say they havent seen one in 10+ years around our place.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Ragde said:

I have an unnatural fear of big cats in the dark and snapping turtles when i cant see my feet in the water. What part of Oklahoma are you in? I'm 20 minutes east of Broken Bow and am hoping you aren't close to me. Yes im aware there could be others. The old timers say they havent seen one in 10+ years around our place.

Mountain lions see you long before you see them, if you ever do at all.  The vast, vast majority of snapping turtle injuries come from people mishandling them.  They don't bite people in the water.

36 minutes ago, Ragde said:

Our place is in the northwest part of the state, close to Seiling. 

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Mountain lions see you long before you see them, if you ever do at all.  The vast, vast majority of snapping turtle injuries come from people mishandling them.  They don't bite people in the water.

I understand both of those points. Some mornings that pop up feels damn safe tho.

• Hook 'Em 1

Big ass 'yote was running down the middle of the street today in the neighborhood.  I was leaving for work and he was just cruising down the street with that damn 'yote grin they all have.  Bolted out the opening to the green space and was gone.  Feasting on rabbits.  Dude was healthy.  If you know west Frisco, they live in the undeveloped land off Legacy/Stonebrook and the land behind all the apartments off Lebanon and by the lake

56 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

I follow this crazy Russian dude on IG that has a pet mountain lion.  They're so damn cool.  We had one years back on our place.  Never sighted, but we found kills & tracks.  Warden also told us about an older one they had to put down near Millersview/DuleDoole area.  

fif my grandparents who lived in that area.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Pdawg88 said:

Our place is in the northwest part of the state, close to Seiling. 

I'm not terribly far north of you and we had a young male walk up through the creek in our back yard last year.  Trail cam was dead but a neighbor across the road snapped a pic, fish and game confirmed. 

3 hours ago, Cajun said:

Out for my morning walk and this corn entitled mf'er followed me around the entire time...

Every year I see your neighborhood posts and laugh (dying inside) about how much I pay to have considerably less herd than your hood.   You've posted some impressive deer over the last few years. That dude with the protein we feed, oof.   

• Haha 1

Man, this front rolled in just in time for a quick trip to the lease on Saturday. Should be damn nice for it still being September. Hoping to head back to camp that evening with at least one less hog drawing breath and then sit out by the firepit.

Before I leave, gotta go do some repair work and mowing at one of the feeders and set up a new game camera I bought recently. Will be nice to get out there in the morning when it's still barely 70 and not just be totally drenched in sweat the whole time.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1