Hunting 24/25: big bucks and a lot of ducks!

markstanco

The power of the crocs compels you.  In the name of the father, and the holy ghost!

I’m taking crocs as my camp shoes for Colorado. I’m envisioning wearing them while sipping some coffee not far from the tent one slightly foggy morning, glassing up a nice bull at day break across the valley, putting a ~500yard slightly quartering away shot (it’s dead calm) right through the top of his heart, watching him take a step and lay over; then taking another sip of coffee while I contemplate: God’s wonders and gifts, my place in the universe, the path of a human being through life, my journey, hard work and fruits of that labor, thankfulness, family.

Then a whole bunch of work starts.
  • Hook 'Em 4

Both are great choices. I’ve never owned Schnees but I own a ton of First lite socks and they are great. 

My Schnee’s Timberlines saved me from rolling my ankle twice on my scouting trip packout. I think they may be slightly less stiff than Kennetreks.

7 minutes ago, 686 said:

I’m taking crocs as my camp shoes for Colorado. I’m envisioning wearing them while sipping some coffee not far from the tent one slightly foggy morning, glassing up a nice bull at day break across the valley, putting a ~500yard slightly quartering away shot (it’s dead calm) right through the top of his heart, watching him take a step and lay over; then taking another sip of coffee while I contemplate: God’s wonders and gifts, my place in the universe, the path of a human being through life, my journey, hard work and fruits of that labor, thankfulness, family.

Then a whole bunch of work starts.

Sounds nice.  Realistically, you will wear them as you stumble into the bush at midnight with a packet of Dude Wipes in one hand as you take a big old greasy, growler.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, 686 said:

My Schnee’s Timberlines saved me from rolling my ankle twice on my scouting trip packout. I think they may be slightly less stiff than Kennetreks.

image.thumb.jpeg.28f31949043411ac005480e85ba99cba.jpeg

My first elk hunt, probably around 2015. We climbed up to 13,000’. It took it all out of me. I set my shit down and caught a 45 minute power nap. After that I was good. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Pdawg88 said:

image.thumb.jpeg.28f31949043411ac005480e85ba99cba.jpeg

My first elk hunt, probably around 2015. We climbed up to 13,000’. It took it all out of me. I set my shit down and caught a 45 minute power nap. After that I was good. 

Krytek, Nice!  You look like a sleepy ol' rattlesnake!

Sounds nice.  Realistically, you will wear them as you stumble into the bush at midnight with a packet of Dude Wipes in one hand as you take a big old greasy, growler.

Thinking through the logistics of being able to take a comfortable and clean shit on this trip have occupied an inordinate amount of time for me. I think I’m taking 4 different types of wipes, backpacking shovel, and soap for hand washing. I’m going to try some biodegradable wipes first and digging a hole/burying. I know it’s en vogue these days to carry used wipes out in a ziplock, but that’s just fucking gross to me. God forbid the ziplock come open. Also gross is seeing turds and wipes/toilet paper around campsites, so hopefully the burying plan works. There’s a lot of deadfall trees around, so should be able to find something to squat against.

1 minute ago, 686 said:

Thinking through the logistics of being able to take a comfortable and clean shit on this trip have occupied an inordinate amount of time for me. I think I’m taking 4 different types of wipes, backpacking shovel, and soap for hand washing. I’m going to try some biodegradable wipes first and digging a hole/burying. I know it’s en vogue these days to carry used wipes out in a ziplock, but that’s just fucking gross to me. God forbid the ziplock come open. Also gross is seeing turds and wipes/toilet paper around campsites, so hopefully the burying plan works. There’s a lot of deadfall trees around, so should be able to find something to squat against.

Good on you.  Don't be a surface-shitter!

I've always used Coleman biowipes, but it appears they've been discontinued. I've still got a bunch left though. I tested them in the backyard and they decompose as advertised. Sliders for my camp shoes. Quick and easy.

I keep a short shovel in the back of the truck, originally purchased in case of getting stuck. But it makes a great cat hole digger when the call of nature hits. When afield I just use the back heel and scrape a trench hole. I've been meaning to pick up a hiking trowel for the pack.

18 hours ago, sith_horn said:

I've always used Coleman biowipes, but it appears they've been discontinued. I've still got a bunch left though. I tested them in the backyard and they decompose as advertised. Sliders for my camp shoes. Quick and easy.

I keep a short shovel in the back of the truck, originally purchased in case of getting stuck. But it makes a great cat hole digger when the call of nature hits. When afield I just use the back heel and scrape a trench hole. I've been meaning to pick up a hiking trowel for the pack.

Rearrange a couple of letters and username fits. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Well, that big buck I had to let walk due to age a couple of years back on one of the older hunting threads got shot in bow season last night. He wasn't a mile from where I removed my stand and feeder:
Attachment-5.jpg
He is bumping up against a 180 inch score.
CHIEF

What a great buck. I love his left side, carries mass up those tines.

On 9/30/2024 at 10:41 AM, Storm the Field said:

Spent Sunday morning doing a bunch of work at another stand. Cleared out a ton of brush and set up a new camera at the feeder. Already started getting pics last night around 8 of a big group of hogs. Fuckers are everywhere out there.

The throwing arm on the feeder had gotten jammed up with some rust and hadn't been feeding for a while. Got it oiled up and moving again. Only been 3 days and they've already started showing up religiously at sundown.

IMG_6286.thumb.jpg.b9715161d056d0a175681f130583d676.jpg

Doe passed by about 10 minutes before they arrived but quickly nope'd out, presumably upon hearing these turds rumbling that direction to gorge their fat asses.

Now I'm seriously pissed. 
image.png.ad53a66dfbfe287beda949a6cf63cd0e.png

He better show up next week after I fix it so I can pop his ass. 
Although that feeder was already on its last legs so I think a new stand and fill is forthcoming. 

Which stand and fill are you looking at? The All Seasons EZ has been good for me.

https://www.allseasonsfeeders.com/products/600-ez-feeder?srsltid=AfmBOoq1v963noD-iPdUrVUgxPdkjntfcZFtqtmvl7O11d09n_TLPSPs

Just put up a feeder in my front pasture at my house.  Surprisingly, there's decent WiFi.  Any suggestions on a WiFi enabled game camera?  I guess I could just go with a wireless Ring camera, but I'm not really concerned about video, and I'm trying to avoid any kind of subscription plan to go back and review pictures.  I just want to be able to log on via an app to check out pictures every few days without much fuss.    

1 hour ago, 686 said:

Which stand and fill are you looking at? The All Seasons EZ has been good for me.

https://www.allseasonsfeeders.com/products/600-ez-feeder?srsltid=AfmBOoq1v963noD-iPdUrVUgxPdkjntfcZFtqtmvl7O11d09n_TLPSPs

I have an ASF already at my primary stand at my place. They are the most expensive but definitely the highest quality. There are probably a half dozen or more places along the highway between here and Snyder where I could buy one.

image.png.5c12e430ff9dd66d726fd499953dbe56.png

I also have an old Buccees one that got beat up pretty good by Beryl this summer. I might be able to rehabilitate that one but it's not all that rugged and I'm worried that these giant pigs will eventually get underneath and tear it up. 

The feed store in Snyder had some Crossfires when I was in town last month for about the same price as the ASF and seem to be similar quality. 

Not really sure. I'm leaning towards saying "fuck it" and stopping at J&L in Cisco and getting an ASF and just cry once when I buy it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

I have an ASF already at my primary stand at my place. They are the most expensive but definitely the highest quality. There are probably a half dozen or more places along the highway between here and Snyder where I could buy one.

I also have an old Buccees one that got beat up pretty good by Beryl this summer. I might be able to rehabilitate that one but it's not all that rugged and I'm worried that these giant pigs will eventually get underneath and tear it up. 

The feed store in Snyder had some Crossfires when I was in town last month for about the same price as the ASF and seem to be similar quality. 

Not really sure. I'm leaning towards saying "fuck it" and stopping at J&L in Cisco and getting an ASF and just cry once when I buy it. 

Cisco is where we cut down on 206 to head to Cross Plains to get to our place.  I've eaten at that Denny's off the hwy eleventy-billion times.  

3 hours ago, Spaulding Smails said:

Just put up a feeder in my front pasture at my house.  Surprisingly, there's decent WiFi.  Any suggestions on a WiFi enabled game camera?  I guess I could just go with a wireless Ring camera, but I'm not really concerned about video, and I'm trying to avoid any kind of subscription plan to go back and review pictures.  I just want to be able to log on via an app to check out pictures every few days without much fuss.    

Any WiFi enabled game cam is going to have some type of subscription plan. You can always go with the cheapest they offer. Tacticam is a good one.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Spaulding Smails said:

We've got some Spypoint cellular cameras set up our place. Academy puts them on sale pretty often and they're decent photo quality. The app is easy to use and comes with 100 pictures/month free per camera. Subscriptions range from $5/month for 250 pictures to $15/month for unlimited.

I just stick with the free plan and only have it set to take pictures for about 90 minutes following the feeder going off. Also have it set to low sensitivity. Otherwise you get a bunch of random daytime pictures of nothing.

• Hook 'Em 1

CIEF Jr. let a buddy borrow our game cam since he didn't think we would have a lease this year. It is on a tree down in Kerrville. I was kinda pissed. He ended up getting two of the Reolink cameras that can turn 360 degrees, pan up and down, and has a speaker so you can yell at coons. We are putting one at the feeder, and one to watch camp.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

We've got some Spypoint cellular cameras set up our place. Academy puts them on sale pretty often and they're decent photo quality. The app is easy to use and comes with 100 pictures/month free per camera. Subscriptions range from $5/month for 250 pictures to $15/month for unlimited.

I just stick with the free plan and only have it set to take pictures for about 90 minutes following the feeder going off. Also have it set to low sensitivity. Otherwise you get a bunch of random daytime pictures of nothing.

Great idea on the free plan.  I'm west of Dripping Springs, so not expecting any B&C trophies.  More just curious about what's coming to the feeder.  

5 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Cisco is where we cut down on 206 to head to Cross Plains to get to our place.  I've eaten at that Denny's off the hwy eleventy-billion times.  

Cisco is where I cup up on 183 from Rising Star to get on I-20 going west. It's a veritable crossroads!

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Quality feeders are money well spent.  15 years ago I had a random connection with a sheet metal worker in beaumont.  He would build these two thousand pound feeders out of sheet metal that were bullet proof with an All Seasons control unit and The Timer.  The feeder was wide enough and had 4 legs that the coons could never reach the plate.  Did not even need a cage.  Heavy duty pipe legs that had feet you could drill a hole through.  I would put a half inch diameter rod and the thing was steady as a rock.  Cows nor hogs could even come close to knocking it over. All in was like $900.  Was a steal.  He stopped making them.

I can deal with cheap blinds.  But I will never, ever buy a cheap feeder. Way more trouble than they are worth.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’ve had real good luck with Texas Wildlife Supply feeders (and blind).  Quality stuff, relatively heavy made dumb steel.  I think I’m going to have a big # feeder commissioned next year.  Fill it once or twice and be done type of deal. 

• Like 1

Classic little Travis County 8 point coming in pretty regularly.  Also one 9/10 that I haven’t gotten a good pic of yet. I swear the cell game cam pics are my favorite phone activity during the season.  

IMG_2193.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 10/4/2024 at 11:09 PM, fattyflattie said:

I’ve had real good luck with Texas Wildlife Supply feeders (and blind).  Quality stuff, relatively heavy made dumb steel.  I think I’m going to have a big # feeder commissioned next year.  Fill it once or twice and be done type of deal. 

The protein feeder in my picture of the ASF that a posted above is a TWS. Very high quality and super heavy duty materials. 

• Hook 'Em 1

In our neck of NW hills, we have our resident herd that we know pretty well.  Our block's mature buck is a pretty stout 8-point.  But we also have a beefy janky ass bastard - he would be an 8-point with a really lousy rack, but he doesn't even have that.  Just 4 dinky points on the left, and zero antler on the right (must have been injured or something).  He hangs out by our house a lot.

Yesterday, my wife went into a storage area under our front patio to start pulling Halloween decorations (we're on a canyon, house is elevated, so it's full-size stand-up area).  The doors to it have been left open for weeks.  As she walked in....he woke up, he was in there napping.  She bolts one way, he bolts out the door.  He tried to run around her left, up a steep canyon wall.  Nope, that didn't work.  He runs back at her, she has to dodge left to give him room to go around on the right, and run down into the canyon.  I'm inside working and hear all kinds of thumping and ruckus.  Come outside, she's up on the patio with her heart beating a mile a minute.

I suggested that maybe we should close the door so janky-ass one-antler doesn't camp out there anymore.  Lazy dumbass.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

In our neck of NW hills, we have our resident herd that we know pretty well.  Our block's mature buck is a pretty stout 8-point.  But we also have a beefy janky ass bastard - he would be an 8-point with a really lousy rack, but he doesn't even have that.  Just 4 dinky points on the left, and zero antler on the right (must have been injured or something).  He hangs out by our house a lot.

Yesterday, my wife went into a storage area under our front patio to start pulling Halloween decorations (we're on a canyon, house is elevated, so it's full-size stand-up area).  The doors to it have been left open for weeks.  As she walked in....he woke up, he was in there napping.  She bolts one way, he bolts out the door.  He tried to run around her left, up a steep canyon wall.  Nope, that didn't work.  He runs back at her, she has to dodge left to give him room to go around on the right, and run down into the canyon.  I'm inside working and hear all kinds of thumping and ruckus.  Come outside, she's up on the patio with her heart beating a mile a minute.

I suggested that maybe we should close the door so janky-ass one-antler doesn't camp out there anymore.  Lazy dumbass.

Yep, your deer are like our deer in Pecan, little to no fear of humans, or manmade objects until you get way too close. I have had deer lay in the shade, up against my front door. When you open the door they absolutely come unglued.

We have had people in our neighborhood bottle feed fawns that have lost their mother. If they are buck fawns, they are extremely dangerous as the get old enough to join the rut. They are aggressive, unafraid of anyone and are strong and powerful enough to kill you.

CHIEF

Got here to my house just after dark last night and quickly went inside so as not to spook off the big pig. See pictures above. Couldn't see the yard and didn't care. 

Woke up this morning to see my front yard looking like this. I only have security cameras on the doors, so no photographic evidence but it happened since the last time I was here in September. I've seen a couple of sounders on my game camera but never seen anything this close to the house.

Damn I hate these fuckers. 🤬

image.jpeg.a1c2340e5f69a220334a95c6a0c15164.jpeg

image.jpeg.11194eeea56cb8da9389bbda558d56fc.jpeg

Edited by crimsonlonghorn
  • Rage+1 4

Anyone got recommendations for an ATV repair shop in the Houston area? My brother and one his buddies on our lease bought a used 4 seater last year, and while it has been fun having it out there, it definitely needs some TLC. I'm hesitant to drive it around as much as I would like as it always seems to be on the verge of overheating.

19 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

He dead. Easily the biggest one I've ever killed. Biigger than the 30 gallon feeder.

Might need to get him mounted with those cutters and the pretty colors.

IMG_6962.jpg.5b5553f81f68d0e892d1b3f9a39d635a.jpg

IMG_6961.jpg.5aae00eb40fd9439f87c3e615262cfb5.jpg

Was he just sitting there on his ass waiting for you to end him?

1 hour ago, hookemATL said:

Was he just sitting there on his ass waiting for you to end him?

No, not literally when I got here but it wasn’t long. I was watching the football game waiting for the camera to go off. He has been coming every night for two weeks and I knew he would show up eventually.

That feeder is only about 150 yards off the back porch so I usually just set up my pig gun on a tripod out there when I am here. Eventually he showed up and I slipped outside and popped him. 

It’s a heck of a way to hunt pigs, I have to say. LOL

Edited by crimsonlonghorn
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Got here to my house just after dark last night and quickly went inside so as not to spook off the big pig. See pictures above. Couldn't see the yard and didn't care. 

Woke up this morning to see my front yard looking like this. I only have security cameras on the doors, so no photographic evidence but it happened since the last time I was here in September. I've seen a couple of sounders on my game camera but never seen anything this close to the house.

Damn I hate these fuckers. 🤬

image.jpeg.a1c2340e5f69a220334a95c6a0c15164.jpeg

image.jpeg.11194eeea56cb8da9389bbda558d56fc.jpeg

Man, those hogs don’t mess around.

3 hours ago, 686 said:

Heading to Colorado now. Looks like a little cold front might get there Tuesday, which would be great. Going to be a little bit warm before then.

Good luck, man!  So happy for (jealous of) you.  If you can, chronicle as you go.  Can’t wait for pics!

• Like 1

Man of all the strange things that can happen. I was waking to my stand Sunday evening and had a mesquite thorn go all the way through my boots and puncture my foot. It's been 3 days and that sucker is still swollen up like a football. I want to hunt this cold front next week and hope it heals by then.

TLDR; I hate mesquites

• Rage+1 1