Viewing Texas football games in '24 out here in Cali

Not sure which board to put this on, so I'll try here.

With the demise of Longhorn Network and a very recent move to a new house, I need some advice on the best set-up to watch Texas games this coming season.  I'm in CA, so the local stations won't be carrying Texas games.  So what's the best set-up to ensure I can see most, if not all, of Texas' games this coming season?  I was thinking some combination of network channels (ABC, Fox, etc.) along with having access to the SEC Network would be the best way to go, but someone tell me if there's another, better way.   

Viewing habits:  In addition to Longhorns games, I'm mostly interested in watching NFL on Sundays, the occasional movie (typically via Netflix or Amazon Prime), and local news to see what the hell is going on in my own backyard.  I don't watch much network TV, nor do I stream much other than Netflix or Amazon Prime.   

I previously had Directv, and that's still an option in my new house.  On the positive side, it carries the SEC Network channel.  But while Directv has been good, it's expensive.  And when NFL Sunday Ticket went to Youtube, Directv lost a big chunk of its appeal for me.  

Another option is Spectrum, which also has the SEC Network.  I figure I can get SEC+ via the ESPN+ app if I do either Spectrum or Directv.  

What is somewhat intriguing (but about which I know very little) is the idea of a streaming platform like Hulu, Fire, Roku, etc., along with an antenna to get local channels.  Because I am an old, l know fuck-all about Hulu, Sling, etc., but I'm willing to learn.  One thing I like is that it sounds like it would be substantially cheaper than the other options.  One thing that concerns me a little is picture quality.  Is that concern unfounded?  I suppose I can always upgrade the internet/wifi speed if necessary.

So . . . what's my best option to make sure I can see our beloved Horns stomping the shit out of their opponents??  Is there some other option I haven't considered?  TIA

Posted (edited)

Your antenna should get Fox, which is where the Michigan game will be. Also ABC, where a game or two may be seen. And Fox, NBC, and CBS for NFL. And all of your local news OTA.

Disney holds the rights, so beyond ABC OTA, you need a streaming service that provides the various ESPNs, SEC Network, and ESPN+ if you want to see all of the Longhorn games.

The new Venu platform might be the cheapest option, at $42.99, if they get it launched on time. It will have all of Disney, Fox, and Warner Bros sports channels. Good luck. Streaming is easy.

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2024/08/venu-sports-launch-date-reported/

Edited by Victor Lazlo
Can’t spell good
  • Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/13/2024 at 5:32 PM, Updawg said:

YouTube tv is a good option for streaming

This is a damn fine option. Although, if getting espn+, and you would have any interest in hulu or disney+ content, then you could bundle and save a few bucks which would make hulu’s live tv cheaper than yttv. 

Edited by thunderlounge
Finish typing

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

What's the opinion on Sling plus their sports package? Looks like it includes all of the ESPN channels.

Personally I want the cheapest and easiest option to get all of the ESPN content. And not sharing or looking for sketchy online sites.

https://www.sling.com/programming/sports

I have been shopping also looking for access to SECN and specifically SECN+ for baseball.    Not sure,  but it appears their complete sports package which includes SECN and SECN+ is only available with the combined Orange/Blue combo which will cost approx $70 after the 1 month promotion.   May want to check with them to verify.

So their complete package is not much less than YTTV, Fubo, etc which offer more regular channels.   If you are just needing the basic ESPN channels,  it appears the Orange package will provide at $40 per month.

I have just began to compare,  so others may have more info.

On 8/12/2024 at 8:15 PM, Gil Bang said:

I'm in CA too, and the only games I've missed for years were the longhorn network games, and I listed to Craig Way via the Varsity app for those. 

Same. I've got YouTube TV and have had to pirate LHN streams few times, but have had access to every other game. YTTV also has SECN, so I think you'd be good?

17 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Same. I've got YouTube TV and have had to pirate LHN streams few times, but have had access to every other game. YTTV also has SECN, so I think you'd be good?

the only games i missed in the 3 years i've had yttv were on lhn, so yes should be good.

1 hour ago, torre said:

I have been shopping also looking for access to SECN and specifically SECN+ for baseball.    Not sure,  but it appears their complete sports package which includes SECN and SECN+ is only available with the combined Orange/Blue combo which will cost approx $70 after the 1 month promotion.   May want to check with them to verify.

So their complete package is not much less than YTTV, Fubo, etc which offer more regular channels.   If you are just needing the basic ESPN channels,  it appears the Orange package will provide at $40 per month.

If you start to build a package, you can add the Sports package to Sling Orange. It contains SECN and SECN+.  Once you get past any initial promo, its $51 + tax.

I get that YTTV or Fubo offer more channels but that's falling into the trap to keep spending more and more because of perceived value. Give me 5 or 500 channels, and I still will watch less than 10 hours per week.

7 hours ago, torre said:

I checked into sling day before yesterday. They sure do need to work on their site. In terms of the sports add-on, one page says one thing, one pop-up says another, and another pop-up says something else. I gave up.