Multiple active shooters fired at main entrance of JBSA-Chapman Training Annex in San Antonio

bolverk

It doesn't sound like it's an active event at the moment, but this is bizarre.

(short local news clip in the link)

Multiple active shooters reported near JBSA-Lackland, base officials say
The base says its security officers returned fire to shooters at JBSA-Chapman Training Annex

SAN ANTONIO – Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland officials said its security officers returned fire on active shooters who attempted to gain entry through the main gate at the JBSA-Chapman Training Annex.

The incident happened around 4:30 a.m. Saturday. San Antonio police officers have also arrived at the scene.

The base said the active shooters are not known to have any military affiliation.

Officials said the JBSA-Chapman Training Annex entry gate is now closed as an investigation into the shooting is underway. Traffic to the installation has also been redirected to a northern entry point on Ray Ellison Boulevard, base officials said.

It is not yet known what led up to base security officers firing at the shooters, how many shooters attempted entry to the training annex or if any injuries have been reported.

This is a developing story. Check back for more updates.

• Rage+1 2

SA news is so fucking terrible. If it ended 6 hours ago they aren’t “active” shooters. Given the area Lackland is in, 90% chance this was teenagers in a stolen car that made a wrong turn and got spooked when they saw the guards and started shooting.

werd.   the most recent result from 45 minutes ago on expressnews.com is paywalled and runs an adserver infestation injection before you even have a chance to interrogate the subscription overlay, and the content is not accessible by textise

national media gives zero fucks more than 6 hours after the event....

oh well, just a random attack on a major defense installation, nothing to see here

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

28 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

werd.   the most recent result from 45 minutes ago on expressnews.com is paywalled and runs an adserver infestation injection before you even have a chance to interrogate the subscription overlay, and the content is not accessible by textise

national media gives zero fucks more than 6 hours after the event....

oh well, just a random attack on a major defense installation, nothing to see here

Aw, c'mon guys.  You know it has to be aliens(the ones from outer space, not the  other kind).

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

SA news is so fucking terrible. If it ended 6 hours ago they aren’t “active” shooters. Given the area Lackland is in, 90% chance this was teenagers in a stolen car that made a wrong turn and got spooked when they saw the guards and started shooting.

Hopefully it’s this and not Russians or gang bangers paid by Russians 

E-N story

Spoiler

Security guards at the entrance to a training annex at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland came under fire in a drive-by shooting early Saturday morning. No injuries were reported.

Air Force security officers were fired on by someone in a sedan that drove past the main gate to the Chapman Training Annex on Military Highway around 4:30 a.m., JBSA spokeswoman Stefanie Antosh told the San Antonio Express-News.

Air Force Security Forces returned fire with their service weapons, typically 9mm handguns. No one was injured in the exchange of gunfire, Antosh said. It wasn't known how many rounds were fired.

Antosh said there was more than one shooter in the car but the exact number was unknown, as was the attackers' motive. No details of the sedan's make, model or color were available.

Authorities closed the gate to the annex and directed motorists to use other routes. The gate reopened around 9:40 a.m., and the installation's security condition remained unchanged at Force Protection Condition Bravo.

The base was never locked down, Antosh said.

“We don’t know what, if anything, started it,” she said. "It would be speculating. But it wasn’t an active threat to the installation, and there is no active threat to the installation.”

The base resumed normal operations. It was not clear if Air Force Security Forces would assign more personnel to the gates at Lackland and other facilities on JBSA, which included Randolph AFB, the Army's Fort Sam Houston and the Camp Bullis training ground.

San Antonio Police Department officers responded to the scene of the shooting and helped to collect evidence.

The Chapman Annex, located just west of Lackland's main facilities, is the home of Air Force special warfare training. Long known as the Medina Annex, it was renamed in 2020 for Air Force Master Sgt. John Chapman, a combat air controller who was killed in a battle in Afghanistan on March 4, 2002, and was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, SurlyGator said:

That sounds gang initiation-esque...

It really doesn’t. The area around Lackland has been gangland since the 90s. No one’s done something like this before. It was either a poorly executed attack or some really stupid teens acting on their own accord.  

9mm?  GTA taught me that any bullets  landing within 100’ of a sentry at a military base would bring down automatic rifles, machine gun fire from HMMWV, mini guns and rockets from Blackhawks and eventually an Abrams or two.  

• Hook 'Em 4

So many random thoughts about this story. That’s a pretty good distance away from the guard both to the street. Coming back a second time, probably because nobody returned fire the first time, sounds like kids going home and bragging about it, somebody calling their bullshit, and tagging along with them for a second pass. How do they know the shooters have no connection to the military if they don’t know who the shooters are. Our police carry assault rifles all the time. Our military base security only carries 9mm? Even after they allegedly added additional security personnel following the first shooting? 

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

So many random thoughts about this story. That’s a pretty good distance away from the guard both to the street. Coming back a second time, probably because nobody returned fire the first time, sounds like kids going home and bragging about it, somebody calling their bullshit, and tagging along with them for a second pass. How do they know the shooters have no connection to the military if they don’t know who the shooters are. Our police carry assault rifles all the time. Our military base security only carries 9mm? Even after they allegedly added additional security personnel following the first shooting? 

I suspect very few police have select fire / full auto (assault) rifles. Probably just SWAT… Deputy Doofy has a hard enough time staying on target as it is, can you imagine? Shooting Pew Pew GIF

Edited by B00M
But I agree with your general point that it’s odd to limit guards to 9mm, and the general distrust the US military seems to have for its soldiers ability to be responsible with firearms on base is… interesting

It’s not that hard when you look at rates of alcohol use and suicide for active duty personnel. Having lots of guns around is a bad idea. Now guard shack of a major installation seems different to me, but it is also located inside the city limits of a relatively safe American city. 

• Hook 'Em 3

12 minutes ago, drt said:

It’s not that hard when you look at rates of alcohol use and suicide for active duty personnel. Having lots of guns around is a bad idea. Now guard shack of a major installation seems different to me, but it is also located inside the city limits of a relatively safe American city. 

In terms of crime rate SA is above average for large cities, and that base is located in a rough part of town. There’s routinely shootings very close by. Can’t recall anyone ever taking shots at the guard booth though, if that’s even what really happened. I’m not putting car backfiring out of the realm of possibility now, or just some stray bullets landing close to the guards either.

1 hour ago, B00M said:

But I agree with your general point that it’s odd to limit guards to 9mm, and the general distrust the US military seems to have for its soldiers ability to be responsible with firearms on base is… interesting

I can never tell what is trolling or intended as satire here anymore.  Base gates are manned by Military Police, or in this case, Security Forces (AF name for MP).  These aren't random soldiers/airmen pulling rotational duty.  Military sidearm has been 9mm since the 1911 was replaced back in the 80's...do you think MPs are rolling w/ M16/M4 to check IDs?  It's an incredibly low risk role.

Side rant:  "Joint Base ______" will forever be stupid as fuck to me.  It's Lackland AFB, Randolph AFB, Fort Sam Houston, etc.  Solutions for problems that don't exist.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Adding to what @Mittens said, Lackland is where Security Forces are trained - it's their Tech School facility (& also where military working dogs are trained).

It is extremely rare to see ANY Security Forces member even cruising around base with a longarm because there simply isn't much need.

Same thing for working a gate; this is generally a low risk aspect of the job unless you're deployed to an active hot spot or maybe even somewhere like Diego Garcia, etc.

& By no means am I saying I know even 1% of what goes on, however my Dad was 2× Squadron Commander for USAF Security Police in the 80's (pre "S.F.'s" name change) for Randolph. 1st go around '81 ➡️ '83 & 2nd '87 ➡️ '89.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, drt said:

Has nothing to do with that, really.  Firearms are expensive and potentially dangerous tools that aren’t needed outside of a training environment or combat.  Same reason people don’t stroll around base with a javelin or tool about in an MRAP. Or wander around with maintenance equipment for that matter.  So it isn’t misused, broken, or go missing. 

Bases are very safe environments and people are there to work. LEO SWAT teams aren’t just chilling in the office with their full kit either.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, B00M said:

But I agree with your general point that it’s odd to limit guards to 9mm, and the general distrust the US military seems to have for its soldiers ability to be responsible with firearms on base is… interesting

It’s an active-duty training base, and if it’s like the Army, ammo and firearms are locked up tight.  We were never allowed to leave any ranges with live rounds, and even trying to pocket some “souvenir” brass would get you in a world of shit.  We would get our pockets, etc. checked, when we finished at a range.

edit: even non-training bases were extremely strict.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 1

It varies if you live on base (regardless of rank, E, CWO or O), to be permitted to have any weapons in your on base personal domicile.

Even then, individual base / facility regs are Commandant specific.

My dad wasn't an overt "gun owner" guy & I don't ever recall even once seeing him carry while in uniform.

Screenshot_20240819_002350_Chrome.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

It’s an active-duty training base, and if it’s like the Army, ammo and firearms are locked up tight.  We were never allowed to leave any ranges with live rounds, and even trying to pocket some “souvenir” brass would get you in a world of shit.  We would get our pockets, etc. checked, when we finished at a range.
edit: even non-training bases were extremely strict.

Uh, I hate to break it to you but everything you just said is untrue. I personally know of two other instances that didn’t make the news like this one, and I’m sure there are many more.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/crime/man-woman-grenade-atascocita-texas/285-35c07c36-f10b-4288-972d-9f6eec2122f3

Shit goes missing all the time. But they do try and check you thoroughly.

Night time jump at Bragg (sorry, I still am not used to calling it Liberty). We were watching and waiting for my brother to land. Someone lost their M-4 in the jump. MP's surrounded the roads in and out and no one could leave. Dad said fuck that, knew the back roads and we left. MP stopped us, dad laughed, showed some badge and MP saluted and away we went. I always laughed at him and asked where he hid that M4.

My dad was 90% of the time carrying on base except at the E or O clubs. Depending on what he was doing would be his service pistol and an MP-5. This was at Bragg, Campbell and when at the Pentagon.

There are usually long rifles at entrances, just not out in the open. When security levels go up you will see them occasionally when checking traffic coming onto base.

• Like 2

My step dad did 20 years as an Air Force SP. Never once had to draw his sidearm, although he'd tell me stories about cracking skulls of unruly drunks or wife beaters with a baton. 

When we were kids, we adopted a German Shepard puppy that we had to give up because it was too aggressive to strangers once he was full grown. The entire family drove down from Austin (he was stationed at Bergstrom back when it was an AFB) and gave the dog to the SPs at Lackland. The dog trainers made sure he wasn't gun shy, and took him away. 

My sisters and I were bawling our eyes out. 

Homer was a good dog, even if he didn't like strangers. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Uh, I hate to break it to you but everything you just said is untrue. I personally know of two other instances that didn’t make the news like this one, and I’m sure there are many more.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/crime/man-woman-grenade-atascocita-texas/285-35c07c36-f10b-4288-972d-9f6eec2122f3
Uh, I hate to break it to you but everything he said is absolutely true.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

At the end of October, 1950 when my family was stationed at Fort Brooke in San Juan, a group of Puerto Rican nationalists attempted a violent uprising to declare independence for the island.

That day, we Army dependent kids in school at the Navy Air Station on the other side of San Juan Bay were bused back to the post under armed guard - Jeeps with mounted machine guns in front and back of our two bus “convoy”. Even our driver, a corporal, had a 1911 .45 sidearm. The MPs at the main post gate had Garands. 
We were told to remain in our quarters with our moms until further notice. 
Three blocks from the rear post gate (which was 2 blocks from our quarters), there was a big shootout at La Fortaleza when a group of nationalists tried to storm the governor’s mansion to assassinate him.
They failed, being shot up by the governor’s security & National Guardsmen. Pretty noisy, with dozens of shots being fired. 
Our rear post gate was heavily guarded by US Army MPs with a machine gun and the usual Garands. 
That night my Dad, with a 1911 .45, was on duty at the post HQ near the main gate - he got tear-gassed when the wind changed as some National Guardsmen were attempting to breach a nearby building where some rebels were holed up. 
Incidentally, the next day (November 1st) in Washington DC, two Nationalist agents tried to assassinate President Truman who was staying at the Blair House across the street from the White House (the latter being under renovation). 
One of the WH police agents on duty out front was killed, as was one of the two wouldbe assassins.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Like 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

45 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

A distant cousin on my wife's side works for the CIA in VA. He regularly goes down to Lackland. When I asked, he didn't even hint at what he is doing there. So it may not be the sleepy AFB like everyone thinks it is.

Lackland has a bunch of electronic warfare stuff (they had EW training there in the early 90s when I was in high school and spent a week at a JROTC camp there).

https://www.350sww.af.mil/Units/850th-Spectrum-Warfare-Group/453rd-Electronic-Warfare-Squadron/

But your cousin is probably doing this at Lackland

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Cryptologic_Center

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/19/2024 at 7:04 AM, Herbie Hancock said:

A guy who had been discharged from the Navy and somehow has a hand grenade has nothing to do with the fact that the military is usually a lot more strict about that stuff on training bases. I'm not kidding when I say we had our pockets and pouches emptied every time we came off of a range, and we had to have empty magazines.

And I'm aware that people have stolen stuff from bases (a lot of it seems to be National Guard, and I understand that having been in the NG), but it is almost always somebody who has armory access (such as a unit armorer) and they usually have the cooperation of somebody who can help them falsify records (because stuff gets inspected fairly often). It's easier at NG armories when stuff probably doesn't get checked as often.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

A distant cousin on my wife's side works for the CIA in VA. He regularly goes down to Lackland. When I asked, he didn't even hint at what he is doing there. So it may not be the sleepy AFB like everyone thinks it is.

During one patrol in the Arctic we took on 4 "Marine Biologists." Their lab on the hanger deck was Restricted and they did not associate with any of the crew off duty. They looked extremely hard and did a lot of deep dives.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

A guy who had been discharged from the Navy and somehow has a hand grenade has nothing to do with the fact that the military is usually a lot more strict about that stuff on training bases. I'm not kidding when I say we had our pockets and pouches emptied every time we came off of a range, and we had to have empty magazines.
And I'm aware that people have stolen stuff from bases (a lot of it seems to be National Guard, and I understand that having been in the NG), but it is almost always somebody who has armory access (such as a unit armorer) and they usually have the cooperation of somebody who can help them falsify records (because stuff gets inspected fairly often). It's easier at NG armories when stuff probably doesn't get checked as often.

Ok, cool. My personal experiences say it happens with frequency.

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Lackland has a bunch of electronic warfare stuff (they had EW training there in the early 90s when I was in high school and spent a week at a JROTC camp there).

https://www.350sww.af.mil/Units/850th-Spectrum-Warfare-Group/453rd-Electronic-Warfare-Squadron/

But your cousin is probably doing this at Lackland

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Cryptologic_Center

Also a major ops center for things beyond the southern border.

4 hours ago, crash_davis said:

The 16th Air Force is head quartered there and they do a lot of shit with the NSA there too.

On 8/20/2024 at 8:42 AM, crash_davis said:

Anyone know anyone that doesn't work at Camp Mabry?

22 hours ago, F250 said:

The 16th Air Force is head quartered there and they do a lot of shit with the NSA there too.

Ninetyninethousandpercent of our fellow citizens have NO IDEA what's going on

8 years ago when Stone released Snowden i thought the citizenry would wake up, just a little

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

time for football! (nttawrt)

• Hook 'Em 1