The Substance

nycHorn

• 1 month later...

This movie is NIGHTMARE FUEL. ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE FUEL. I just finished seeing it and my God that is a well done movie, but again be prepared for some crazy dreams because of that film. I could not stop watching even when I knew it was going to be stuff that made me squirm. Some of it was funny, but Hoo boy that was quite the two hours. Just a wild movie dealing with how beauty is perceived in our culture. I would call it a must watch film. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

Hot chicks+body horror = wheelhouse.

Well you will get plenty of both. Demi Moore deserves a best actress nomination for her performance. Just a wild movie.

54 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

I want to watch this but probably will not watch this.

Go and watch it. Again nightmare fuel, but too good of a movie to not see. 

2 minutes ago, usmc0331horn said:

This movie was absolutely fantastic. People left during the final scene which made it even better for me. Mini Andie MacDowell is smoking fucking hot.

I fucking hated this movie. I couldn’t wait for it to end. Grotesque and over the top don’t begin to describe it. 

But yes, Margaret Qualley is ridiculously hot. 

2 minutes ago, usmc0331horn said:

It's sensationalist, over the top body horror what did you expect from it lol?

Yeah, this genre ain’t my thing. My wife picked it. I had no idea what it was about. Saw no trailers, nada. All I knew about it was Andie Mcdowell’s daughter was in it, and well… that was good enough for me. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/22/2024 at 9:24 PM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Yeah, this genre ain’t my thing. My wife picked it. I had no idea what it was about. Saw no trailers, nada. All I knew about it was Andie Mcdowell’s daughter was in it, and well… that was good enough for me. 

I can respect that opinion. This is way outside of my normal movie range. Not every movie is for everyone and there’s plenty I make no connection with. I think it is just how shocking the movie might be why I enjoyed it so much. I would appreciate more outside the box thinking from writers and directors like this across all genres.

7 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

Just go and see it on the big screen. Even if you go by yourself it’s worth it to do it for this one.

I go see movies by myself all the time. That'll probably be the case with this one - can't imagine my husband will be up for it. 

What level of gross are we talking here? Infinity Pool? The Fly? Terrorizer 2?

2 hours ago, Teebox said:

Well I wanted to see this for the chicks but after reading this thread I'm almost certainly out. 

There is lots of naked Demi Moore and naked Margaret Qualley, although I don't know how much of each is real and how much is prosthetics/CGI.

You could always bail after the first half of the flick. I wish I had.