A Pedophile Stole My Putter

Dbeasy

Posted (edited)

And I want it back.

As a young boy in the mid-1970’s, I played golf with friends at Hancock golf course in Austin. We played all the time. Someone would drop us off early in the morning, we’d play all day, and then someone would pick us up in the late afternoon.

One day the guy working the clubhouse noticed the putter in my bag. He wanted to buy it. Unbeknownst to me at the time, it was valuable. 

It was an antique MacGregor putter. My grandfather was a PGA golf professional and I inherited it when he passed away. With that putter I was deadly good. It was incredible.

When I later came out of the clubhouse, it was gone.  Fucker had stolen it, but I had no proof. The adult me would have beaten the shit out of him until he gave it back. The 11 year old me had no option, so I just had to brush it off.

Another day, this asswipe tried to setup private lessons with me and my buddy. We both declined.  Years later, this asshole was arrested and convicted of diddling little boys, presumably found at Hancock while he worked there. He went to jail for awhile.

This guy might be dead.  He might be alive and in jail. Or he might be alive and out of jail. If he’s alive, I want to track this guy down and find out what happened to my putter, even if it means visiting him in jail. I can’t remember his name or the year he was caught. Google searches proved fruitless. His first name might have been Bobby. He was caught somewhere between the years 1978-1995. There were Austin American Statesman news stories about it. That’s how I found out originally.

If anyone can help me figure out who this guys was, I will chronicle my putter revenge tour here on Surly, and forever be in your debt.

Edit: this is all allegedly. 

Edited by Dbeasy
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

8 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

And I want it back.

As a young boy in the mid-1970’s, I played golf with friends at Hancock golf course in Austin. We played all the time. Someone would drop us off early in the morning, we’d play all day, and then someone would pick us up in the late afternoon.

One day the guy working the clubhouse noticed the putter in my bag. He wanted to buy it. Unbeknownst to me at the time, it was valuable. 

It was an antique MacGregor putter. My grandfather was a PGA golf professional and I inherited it when he passed away. With that putter I was deadly good. It was incredible.

When I later came out of the clubhouse, it was gone.  Fucker had stolen it, but I had no proof. The adult me would have beaten the shit out of him until he gave it back. The 11 year old me had no option, so I just had to brush it off.

Another day, this asswipe tried to setup private lessons with me and my buddy. We both declined.  Years later, this asshole was arrested and convicted of diddling little boys, presumably found at Hancock while he worked there. He went to jail for awhile.

This guy might be dead.  He might be alive and in jail. Or he might be alive and out of jail. If he’s alive, I want to track this guy down and find out what happened to my putter, even if it means visiting him in jail. I can’t remember his name or the year he was caught. Google searches proved fruitless. His first name might have been Bobby. He was caught somewhere between the years 1978-1995. There were Austin American Statesman news stories about it. That’s how I found out originally.

If anyone can help me figure out who this guys was, I will chronicle my putter revenge tour here on Surly, and forever be in your debt.

I am sure that when he went to prison - safeguarding the stolen putter for 50 years was uppermost in his thoughts.

IOW, 

IMG_2932.gif.7a78e68f6f7c58c21d48f9ae5df84266.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

And I want it back.

You lost a putter, but saved your anoos. Grandfather knew what was up and protected you from beyond the grave.

• Haha 1
  • Drool 2

1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

Do you remember him discussing the fine details of grammar required on No Parking signs?   Hancock golf course is not that far from where TxTow was chucking rocks at cars on the lower deck of I-35.  

One of my all time favorite legends on this site.

• Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

One of my all time favorite legends on this site.

If I remember correctly, on a previous iteration of this site, another legend is the dude who boasted of doing nefarious shit on the dark web who later got busted for running a hit man recruiting and drug exchange services on the dark web. 

27 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

If I remember correctly, on a previous iteration of this site, another legend is the dude who boasted of doing nefarious shit on the dark web who later got busted for running a hit man recruiting and drug exchange services on the dark web. 

Dread Pirate Roberts

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

LOL. This is going to be a wild ass guess. My apologies to this guy's family but all I'm doing is pulling up results from the web.

I googled "Bobby Hancock Golf Austin" and "Bobby Seaholm Austin" which leads me to these results. He was a Head Pro at Hancock. He dead. Maybe he's buried with the putter.

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/statesman/name/robert-seaholm-obituary?id=17858892

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/379310177/

Edited by crash_davis

12 minutes ago, Da Fino said:

Dread Pirate Roberts

6 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Don't remember his postings but google says Ross William Ulbricht.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/pr/ross-ulbricht-aka-dread-pirate-roberts-sentenced-manhattan-federal-court-life-prison

Using the online moniker “Dread Pirate Roberts,” or “DPR,” ULBRICHT controlled and oversaw every aspect of Silk Road, and managed a staff of paid, online administrators and computer programmers who assisted with the day-to-day operation of the site.  Through his ownership and operation of Silk Road, ULBRICHT reaped commissions worth more than $13 million generated from the illicit sales conducted through the site.  ULBRICHT also demonstrated a willingness to use violence to protect his criminal enterprise and the anonymity of its users, soliciting six murders-for-hire in connection with operating the site, although there is no evidence that these murders were actually carried out.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

LOL. This is going to be a wild ass guess. My apologies to this guy's family but all I'm doing is pulling up results from the web.

I googled "Bobby Hancock Golf Austin" and "Bobby Seaholm Austin" which leads me to these results. He was a Head Pro at Hancock. He dead. Maybe he's buried with the putter.

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/statesman/name/robert-seaholm-obituary?id=17858892

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/379310177/

Holy shit, this might be the guy. He had curly hair back then but wore glasses like the picture.  

Just now, Dbeasy said:

Holy shit, this might be the guy. He had curly hair back then but wore glasses like the picture.  

I did not see any results alluding to his alleged proclivities of fondling younglings. Me thinks your 50 yr old memory is off?

BTW, I think he may have been related to the namesake of the Seaholm Power Plant

Let me tell you a little story? I once knew a guy who could have been a great golfer, could have gone pro, all he needed was a little time and practice. Decided to go to college instead. Went for four years, did pretty well. At the end of his four years, his last semester he was kicked out... You know what for? He was night putting, just putting at night with the fifteen-year-old daughter of the Dean...

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

3 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

I bought an antique MacGregor putter at Hancock golf course back in the 70's so this hits close to home

I still prefer mine over that fancy shit. embarrasses the fuck out of the guys I play with when I beat them on the green with a piece of shit peter pan putt putt mini-golf putter.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, troph said:

I still prefer mine over that fancy shit. embarrasses the fuck out of the guys I play with when I beat them on the green with a piece of shit peter pan putt putt mini-golf putter.

We're still talking about golf, right?

• Haha 7

11 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

I did not see any results alluding to his alleged proclivities of fondling younglings. Me thinks your 50 yr old memory is off?

BTW, I think he may have been related to the namesake of the Seaholm Power Plant

ya, I'm searching and thinking that maybe the reason I remembered the name Bobby is because he was the pro there when we played. It may have been someone else in the clubhouse.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

We're still talking about golf, right?

metal is too cold to be anything else, I mean I'm pretty good with the silcone putter on the greens too, love using it on the high-end, well manicured ones especially.  for the record, I'm not talking about junior golf AT ALL.

Edited by troph
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

ya, I'm searching and thinking that maybe the reason I remembered the name Bobby is because he was the pro there when we played. It may have been someone else in the clubhouse.

The witness is unreliable.  Case dismissed.

11 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

The witness is unreliable.  Case dismissed.

Not so fast. I have found some information which is relevant to this situation that would partially corroborate my memory. However, I will not publish the information here yet because I don't want to sully a potentially innocent man. I'm looking for more solid evidence to bolster what I've found.

However, in my commitment to this thread to document my Putter Revenge Tour 2024, I have reached out to one of Bobby's descendants to investigate the whereabouts of the putter. I will report back if and when I hear something from this person.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

I have reached out to one of Bobby's descendants to investigate the whereabouts of the putter. I will report back if and when I hear something from this person.

Subscribed. 

I'm not even sure how you approach this.

"Does your Dad have an old MacGregor putter. I believe he stole it from me when I was a 11 yr old kid."

2 hours ago, crash_davis said:

https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/pr/ross-ulbricht-aka-dread-pirate-roberts-sentenced-manhattan-federal-court-life-prison

Using the online moniker “Dread Pirate Roberts,” or “DPR,” ULBRICHT controlled and oversaw every aspect of Silk Road, and managed a staff of paid, online administrators and computer programmers who assisted with the day-to-day operation of the site.  Through his ownership and operation of Silk Road, ULBRICHT reaped commissions worth more than $13 million generated from the illicit sales conducted through the site.  ULBRICHT also demonstrated a willingness to use violence to protect his criminal enterprise and the anonymity of its users, soliciting six murders-for-hire in connection with operating the site, although there is no evidence that these murders were actually carried out.

Was he on TOS?  What name did he use?  From what I have read of Ulbricht, he kept his Silk Road activity VERY close to his chest, so it seems strange he bragged about it on TOS.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, crash_davis said:

I was never busted. 

Disclaimer: this is a joke. I have never been involved with nefarious people or activities.

Edited by MissingInAction

10 minutes ago, abuelo gringo said:

Was he on TOS?  What name did he use?  From what I have read of Ulbricht, he kept his Silk Road activity VERY close to his chest, so it seems strange he bragged about it on TOS.

He made a few posts alluding to his nefarious activities. It was after he was busted that some people found his old posts and figured out it was him.