Chelsea 2024-25: We miss you, Roman

RichUT

Posted (edited)

I guess the fact that the new season has kicked off and nobody has bothered to start a thread for it speaks volumes. I barely recognize this club anymore, and somehow I find myself really missing a Russian Oligarch with known ties to criminal organizations. He might be a pretty crappy human, but he sure knew how to build a respectable Football Club.

At any rate, now we officially have a spot to express our frustrations as Todd Boehly and the Guggenheim Partners continue to dig a deeper hole for this club. 

If you have a problem with the thread title, see my first sentence. You have only yourself to blame. 

Edited by RichUT
  • Hook 'Em 1

In the actual news department, we signed Joao Felix today. I have no idea how he fits with what we have, but I could say the same thing about 10 other guys on our 40+ member "first team". Presumably we did this in order to avoid losing Gallagher on a free after the season. 

https://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/chelsea-fc-transfer-rumours-news/2024/8/19/24223710/chelsea-atletico-madrid-agree-joao-felix-transfer-reports

I'm pretty non-plussed by this signing, which is about the same way I felt when we signed Cole Palmer. So, I look forward to eating crow when Joao ends up being our run away POTY. 

I'm still all-in.

I would like to see some continuity with key players and maybe a manager who lasts longer than an hour-and-a-half. 

But I Iike the Felix signing and think the club can compete for a top 4 finish this season.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Horny Bull said:

Welcome back Felix!

No kidding - welcome back!  lol

Assume Madueke will be sold now - can't keep that kind of performance around the club for long...

<edit> Also, he must have given some Ted Lasso-like halftime speech...

Edited by morehornsepower

Sure sounds like Sancho is trending to become a Blue. Loan with an obligation to buy. 

And thank god. We’re dangerously thing in wingers. 🙄

I really want to see us figure out this Osimhen deal. I’m just not very confident we will. 

And no Osimhen. I swear to god. I cannot fathom why this club cannot figure out the striker position to save their lives. It’s been one of our two most pressing needs for 4+ years running. 

That 2nd half was complete shite. We were sloppy and generally disinterested until about the 88th minute. We let Palace boss the midfield and at times it almost felt like we were playing a man down. For all the money we’ve spent on the middle of pitch we look positively average there. 

Yep.  I was sitting there at 1-0 halftime wondering if we'd pay for all the near misses in the first half.  Also, have to give credit to their keeper for three good saves.

The bad is that Chelsea could've scored 6 and only got 1.  The good is that they could've scored 6.  The buildup and chance creation are legit.

Anyone been to Stamford Bridge?  I'm going to London in a few weeks and want to go see a match.  I've been following the team since 2012, but have never had the chance to see them live.  Is there a way to get tickets, I know the UK is tough on scalping?

Anyone have Todd Boehly's number?

1 hour ago, Stringer said:

Anyone been to Stamford Bridge?  I'm going to London in a few weeks and want to go see a match.  I've been following the team since 2012, but have never had the chance to see them live.  Is there a way to get tickets, I know the UK is tough on scalping?

Anyone have Todd Boehly's number?

My wife and I went to a game in 2018 at the Bridge.  We had to join Club Chelsea (free) and buy one of the specialty ticket packs: https://www.chelseafc.com/en/club-chelsea?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=MBM_Brand_ROW&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwufq2BhAmEiwAnZqw8s5mzAwCXIUEeZV5_GZh-rqKnYEcPb9t-LLOhjBR3kb9W9p3Rjq5QRoCq8AQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds.  We went with the UTB package.  Tickets were up high, but the Bridge isn't very big so we still had a good view.  It was expensive, but the experience was worth it.  

3 points away from home. Job done. Wasn’t especially pretty and we’re fortunate to have kept a clean sheet. 

Sancho looked pretty solid on his debut, and picked up an assist on the match winning goal. It’ll be interesting to see how Baby Pep manages the rotation across the wingers. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I didn't wake up early enough to watch it live. Good to see Jackson respond after all the whispers about Nkunku maybe moving in on his start spot. Here is a quick from The Athletic on the boys trending up:

Are Chelsea… good?

It’s probably time to start separating Chelsea the football team, the collection of players and coaches that go out onto the pitch every week, from Chelsea the organisation, the corporate entity, which exists in a completely different reality.

The latter seems chaotic, with the various individuals involved seemingly briefing the media against each other, arguing over who the coach should be, buying players seemingly at random and selling hotels to themselves.

The former, however, seems… well, actually quite good.

Since the middle of February, Chelsea have only lost two out of 20 Premier League games, the only two teams to beat them being… Arsenal and Manchester City. They have taken 42 points from those 20 games, the only teams with more being… Arsenal and Manchester City.

In this nascent season, they lost to City on the opening day when they weren’t even particularly bad, the game slightly overshadowed by the curious situation involving Raheem Sterling, a situation at least in part caused by the other part of the club, the ownership.

Since then, they have thrashed Wolves, were admittedly not brilliant in drawing with Crystal Palace, ground their way past Bournemouth and, most recently, made very short work of West Ham.

So… are they… actually good? If not good, the team led by Enzo Maresca — in his first Premier League job and thrown into a cauldron of chaos — is doing much better than you might expect them to be doing given everything that is happening around them.

Nicolas Jackson is scoring goals, Cole Palmer continues to be excellent and Moises Caicedo is finally starting to look like the player they thought they were signing.

The other problems are still such that it will take a while for the idea of Chelsea’s competence to fully cut through to the broader consciousness, but in terms of purely the football, things are looking up.