So, apparently Greg Swindell is a dumbshit

Bolero88

5 minutes ago, royiv said:

It always amazes me how white football players can play a sport where more than half of the players at the highest level are black and openly be the worst MAGAT. Arch and Quinn openly supporting a racist POS seems like it would make for some awkward interactions with teammates.

It used to be you likely didn't know your teammates' political views or whatever dumbfuck shit they thought.  Same with your coworkers, your neighbors, etc.

Then Obama got elected and that went out the window.  And social media. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 8
  • Rage+1 1

11 hours ago, Da Fino said:

That’s unfair to her. He lost his marbles, drank them, and then she stepped out on him. 

Is all of this well-known?  Somehow I missed it.  I think James had a drinking problem and that follows genes pretty strongly.

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

It used to be you likely didn't know your teammates' political views or whatever dumbfuck shit they thought.  Same with your coworkers, your neighbors, etc.

Then Obama got elected and that went out the window.  And social media. 

Very true, but I also find it strange that you can play a sport for so long surrounded by teammates that you call your brothers and then support a racist, either openly on social media or just in your brain. These are guys you’re interacting with on a daily basis and going to battle with. On the field, he’s your brother and off the field you support people who think your brother is less worthy than you are. The disconnect has always blown my mind. Perhaps it demonstrates how bad critical thinking skills are in vast swaths of our population.

2 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

money. next question.

The Office Yes GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

Hopefully no current players pull a Buck Burnette and drop an n-bomb on social media if/when Kamala wins the election. We don’t need that.

https://www.austinchronicle.com/daily/sports/2008-11-07/699807/

And yet he’s got a successful career in construction, is a frequent MAGA Twitter user,  Makes sure you know he played football at UT, and likes retweeting Musk’s bullshit. 

• Rage+1 1

A board comprised of ultra liberals somehow shocked to find out a few former Texas athletes fall into the other 55% of the state population that disagree with them politically.  LOL.    

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Fuck You 1
  • Drool 1

1 minute ago, Skipper said:

A board comprised of ultra liberals somehow shocked to find out a few former Texas athletes fall into the other 55% of the state population that disagree with them politically.  LOL.    

Lolz if you believe 55%.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

The experience I had as a kid/young man was reconfirmed by the experience my son had: baseball attracts assholes.  I don't know why it is, but my high school baseball team was all of the biggest assholes in school.  And it was ultimately what led me to give up playing (yeah--the fact that I couldn't hit a fastball that had any movement on it had nothing to do with it at all).

Playing hockey was the exact opposite experience.  Not that there isn't assholish behavior.  And not that I never got into a fight in a parking lot after a game.  But on balance, it was just a bunch of chill dudes who understood that we're all on the same team and we're all looking forward to going out drinking after the game.

I had quite the opposite experience some years earlier, at least as concerned the baseballers in my grade and younger.  The ones a year older had some asshole potential.

But, in my day, football was still KING and almost a prerequisite to being any kind of asshole.  Anyone who played anything else, only, was relatively humble.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Skipper said:

Over 55% of the idiots at aggy are magats. We all know they are fucking idiots.

So what's your point? 

8 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Anyone who’s surprised that a bunch of white athletes who have been told how special they are all their lives somehow end up being entitled assholes are dumber than said athletes.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

There's a difference between conservatives and alt-right MAGA conspiracy-addicted clowns.

Well, there used to be at least.

About once a month when slow I'll take a look at this board then flip over to Orangebloods and read their board and it's hilariously night and day.  All UT fans that somehow found their message board political tribes.  To be clear, I think both extremes are crazy.  And I'll vote for Kamala.  But 55% of this State will vote for Trump and the vast majority of those are full blown MAGA.  So that a bunch of former Texas athletes fall into that category is not at all surprising to anyone not living in an echo chamber.  Just not sure why this is deserving of a thread considering the reality is their political viewpoint is relatively mainstream.

30 minutes ago, royiv said:

It always amazes me how white football players can play a sport where more than half of the players at the highest level are black and openly be the worst MAGAT. Arch and Quinn openly supporting a racist POS seems like it would make for some awkward interactions with teammates.

Pretty sure my political beliefs were pretty shitty when I was at UT in the early 90's. "Enlightened" is not a word I would use to describe my 20-year-old self.

18 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

money. next question.

Yes, where there's money (in Texas for sure) more often than that, people are going to be conservative and quite a few are of the MAGA variety.

10 minutes ago, Skipper said:

As I said above, I was an idiot in college (my wife might argue I still am from time to time). However, I would think Arch's family would understand the political climate in this country and would strongly urge Arch to just leave all of that alone. Or maybe they're just shitty people and don't GAF.

Continuing on in the baseball-players-are-assholes-discussion, I can concur that this was my experience having to deal with athletes in college and the pros over a 10+ year period in the sports media biz. NHL hockey players were by far the nicest athletes I encountered. Then I'd slot in football and basketball players next. Baseball players as a group were the worst. A few golfers could be just as shitty as the shittiest baseball player but a lot of those guys were great too.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

NHL hockey players were by far the nicest athletes I encountered. Then I'd slot in football and basketball players next. Baseball players as a group were the worst. A few golfers could be just as shitty as the shittiest baseball player but a lot of those guys were great too.

Pretty consistent with my interactions as well.  Exact order.  Limited experience around any NHL guys but those guys have always seemed super down to earth/normal when I've seen them out and about.

30 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Likely the preschool that brought them together drew them in with finely tuned dog whistles about cat boxes and "traditional values"

They want full on grooming 24/7, from the home to the school to the church. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I had quite the opposite experience some years earlier, at least as concerned the baseballers in my grade and younger.  The ones a year older had some asshole potential.

But, in my day, football was still KING and almost a prerequisite to being any kind of asshole.  Anyone who played anything else, only, was relatively humble.

Same. I played both baseball and football and the football team had the most assholes by a significant margin.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Pretty consistent with my interactions as well.  Exact order.  Limited experience around any NHL guys but those guys have always seemed super down to earth/normal when I've seen them out and about.

I get it and I understand that my political leanigns don't aign with yours but I like to think you believe being a decent person doesn't equate with being ultra liberal these days. 

• Hook 'Em 6

2 minutes ago, YChang said:

I get it and I understand that my political leanigns don't aign with yours but I like to think you believe being a decent person doesn't equate with being ultra liberal these days. 

If he truly is voting for Kamala, take the win and move on. At least he’s not voting for fascism. Meanwhile, I’ll be at my newly opened post birth abortion clinic. Business is booming!!!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 7

25 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Just not sure why this is deserving of a thread considering the reality is their political viewpoint is relatively mainstream.

Only a moron would think that.  

The fact that you think MAGA is a “mainstream” viewpoint means that you agree with a cult of personality. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Just now, YChang said:

There is some anti-trump alignment on this board at the moment for sure, but outside of election season when political issues have come up (i.e., Covid, Israel, fiscal policy/taxation, etc.) moderate (and majority) positions are routinely shouted down.  It is what it is.  I think in an alternative universe where MAGA didn't hijact the Republican party and a candidate like 2012 Romney is the nominee, he wins this election pretty easily, but clearly would not be supported on this board.  That's not the reality but it's not really a debate in my view that this board leans pretty hard left.  I remember thinking John Delaney was the ideal candidate (moderate and reasonable/realistic about what could actually be accomplished) after hearing a few of his answers in the 2020 D debates and many on this board crucified him. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

1 minute ago, Gatorubet said:

Only a moron would think that.  

The fact that you think MAGA is a “mainstream” viewpoint means that you agree with a cult of personality. 

Do you live in a fantasy world where Trump isn't about to get at least 47% or 48% of the popular vote?  You don't call that mainstream?  Just because not everyone puts a MAGA flag on their truck doesn't mean his viewpoints aren't mainstream. 

11 minutes ago, F250 said:

Same. I played both baseball and football and the football team had the most assholes by a significant margin.

GOLL and I went to the same hs, which shall remain unnamed but could be gleaned from prior postings.

For whatever reason, and I'm sure this was not unique to our hs, you had to play football to be cool, at least until junior or senior year.  Example:  The, anointed QB1 quit football after his freshman year to focus on basketball.  He succeeded to the point that he played some at Arkansas under Nolan Richardson, as a 6-1 white guy.  But, his quitting football was just scandalous.

My sense is that that phenomenon mitigated some between my time and his time at the school.

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Yeah! I mean totally normal to call people you disagree with baby killers, pedophiles, and assassins.

• Hook 'Em 4

32 minutes ago, Skipper said:

About once a month when slow I'll take a look at this board then flip over to Orangebloods and read their board and it's hilariously night and day.  All UT fans that somehow found their message board political tribes.  To be clear, I think both extremes are crazy.  And I'll vote for Kamala.  But 55% of this State will vote for Trump and the vast majority of those are full blown MAGA.  So that a bunch of former Texas athletes fall into that category is not at all surprising to anyone not living in an echo chamber.  Just not sure why this is deserving of a thread considering the reality is their political viewpoint is relatively mainstream.

Surprising isn't the right word. I have tons of Trump voting family and friends. Such is life in the two party system when you're absolutely convinced that Democrats are coming for all of your money. But, if tomorrow they start re-tweeting Kevin Sorbo, I'd still be disappointed.

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, Skipper said:

That wasn't the point of my post. It's that the logic used by Swindell is so fucking dumb that I'd be embarrassed if a 10 year old used it, let alone a grown man. I just can't believe how fucking dumb he really is. 

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, Skipper said:

There is some anti-trump alignment on this board at the moment for sure, but outside of election season when political issues have come up (i.e., Covid, Israel, fiscal policy/taxation, etc.) moderate (and majority) positions are routinely shouted down. 

There is a reason "tyranny of the majority" is a thing.  Right and wrong are not defined by a group vote.

2 minutes ago, Bolero88 said:

That wasn't the point of my post. It's that the logic used by Swindell is so fucking dumb that I'd be embarrassed if a 10 year old used it, let alone a grown man. I just can't believe how fucking dumb he really is. 

To an extent he's right in that a whole lot of inhabitants of this state are Magats, so it shouldn't surprise us much that our athletes are Magat-y, athletes not being known for intelligence or sensitivity.

But the objectionable thing is that they aren't expressing conservative ideas, they're parroting the stupidity of the current variant of the right-wing, as Huckleberry points out.  It's the CR problem:  "conservatives" get shouted down because they don't currently articulate any sort of reasoned conservative viewpoint.

• Hook 'Em 5

33 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, I would not call this board a bunch of "ultra-liberals."  This is essentially the same people that 15 years ago were pretty damn conservative.

Nothing like the conservative party turning into a bunch of truth-impervious, fascistic cultists to turn that trend right the fuck around.

Former straight ticket R here.

I Got It Lol GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

GOLL and I went to the same hs, which shall remain unnamed but could be gleaned from prior postings.

For whatever reason, and I'm sure this was not unique to our hs, you had to play football to be cool, at least until junior or senior year.  Example:  The, anointed QB1 quit football after his freshman year to focus on basketball.  He succeeded to the point that he played some at Arkansas under Nolan Richardson, as a 6-1 white guy.  But, his quitting football was just scandalous.

My sense is that that phenomenon mitigated some between my time and his time at the school.

I think this is the case in most schools in Texas. It's common for the head football coach to oversee the other sports coaches. They ingrain the "your a football player first and play other sports to keep you in shape year round" mentality. Then they reward the players with preferential treatment and popularity.

It was like this in my time and it was pretty much the same way with my own kids when they were in high school.

• Hook 'Em 4

15 minutes ago, immamac said:

Its hilarious that people think this board is liberal. This board is intelligent and rejects nonsense. 

Orangebloods is legitimately the polar opposite and the actual worst place for longhorn anything. There's a reason everyone has made Ketchum a pariah and why he's the only media org I won't toss a bone or include in any of our NIL initiatives/activities/interviews/etc. 

THIS. I've been lurking here (well, the predecessors) since 2008 I believe. I still go over to Orangebloods from time to time when I am jonesin' for some additional football content when things are slow. The first thing I noticed honestly was how unfunny most posters on Orangebloods are. Then the need to post "first!" when a new thread is started. Assinine. My politics as left-center wouldn't sit well there.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

Wearing red shorts usually points them out. 

26 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

You're completely wrong but confidently so, at least you've got that going for you. 

A very large percentage of this board are conservatives (i.e., classical liberalism adherents). The issue is that the current GOP is not conservative. It's a cult of personality with the lovely features of authoritarianism and with plenty of fascists starting to work their way into positions of power. Those things are the exact opposite of conservative ideals. 

Words have meaning. The fact that you mistakenly think in 2024 Democrat = ultra liberal and Republican = conservative doesn't make it true. 

This. The Republicans have completely veered away from the notion of classical liberalism and actively promote illliberalism these days. These are not people that quibble over negative and positive rights, they just threw the notion of rights out the window. They don't even promote laissez-faire capitalism anymore but instead have gone all in on state capitalism.

• Hook 'Em 3

29 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

You're completely wrong but confidently so, at least you've got that going for you. 

A very large percentage of this board are conservatives (i.e., classical liberalism adherents). The issue is that the current GOP is not conservative. It's a cult of personality with the lovely features of authoritarianism and with plenty of fascists starting to work their way into positions of power. Those things are the exact opposite of conservative ideals. 

Words have meaning. The fact that you mistakenly think in 2024 Democrat = ultra liberal and Republican = conservative doesn't make it true. 

I don't think that.  You aren't reading what I wrote.  Do you think 2012 Romney would win this current election in a hypothetical world where he was a Republican nominee and "MAGA" didn't exist?  I think he would win somewhat easily.  Do you think the majority of regular posters on this board would vote for that candidate?  Again, I don't think it would really be close in the other direction. 

I don't think 2024 Democrat = Ultra LIberal.  There are a ton of Anti-Trump moderates that are now "Democrats" by default.   But that doesn't mean I don't think this board doesn't lean pretty liberal which becomes more obvious when it isn't election season and actual issues are discussed.