So, apparently Greg Swindell is a dumbshit

Bolero88

4 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I don't think that.  You aren't reading what I wrote.  Do you think 2012 Romney would win this current election in a hypothetical world where he was a Republican nominee and "MAGA" didn't exist?  I think he would win somewhat easily.  Do you think the majority of regular posters on this board would vote for that candidate?  Again, I don't think it would really be close in the other direction. 

I don't think 2024 Democrat = Ultra LIberal.  There are a ton of Anti-Trump moderates that are now "Democrats" by default.   But that doesn't mean I don't think this board doesn't lean pretty liberal which becomes more obvious when it isn't election season and actual issues are discussed. 

Yes, 2012 Romney would have a lot of supporters on this board. The fact you don't understand that is on you, not the other posters on this board. 

Give specific examples of conservative positions that are shot down on this board. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I don't think that.  You aren't reading what I wrote.  Do you think 2012 Romney would win this current election in a hypothetical world where he was a Republican nominee and "MAGA" didn't exist?  I think he would win somewhat easily.  Do you think the majority of regular posters on this board would vote for that candidate?  Again, I don't think it would really be close in the other direction. 

I don't think 2024 Democrat = Ultra LIberal.  There are a ton of Anti-Trump moderates that are now "Democrats" by default.   But that doesn't mean I don't think this board doesn't lean pretty liberal which becomes more obvious when it isn't election season and actual issues are discussed. 

You are just flat out wrong. I already told you why. Intellectual honesty and Intelligence guides more of what is going on here than partisan shit. In a world with no party affiliation everyone is a Democrat because there is non-such thing as Republican policy its just "whatever Donald says" 

• Hook 'Em 2

30 minutes ago, F250 said:

I think this is the case in most schools in Texas. It's common for the head football coach to oversee the other sports coaches. They ingrain the "your a football player first and play other sports to keep you in shape year round" mentality. Then they reward the players with preferential treatment and popularity.

It was like this in my time and it was pretty much the same way with my own kids when they were in high school.

That's very true, yes.  And some baseball/football players did indeed receive pushback from the HFC.

I am, however, referring to the "social" hit that QB1 took.  Not that he became a pariah or anything, but the understanding that he foreswore being "Lord God king boofoo" of our hs to play what was regarded as a distant second-tier sport.

Edited by TwiceHorn

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

That's very true, yes.  And some baseball/football players did indeed receive pushback from the HFC.

I am, however, referring to the "social" hit that QB1 took.  Not that he became a pariah or anything, but the understanding that he foreswore being "Lord God king boofoo" of our hs to play what was regarded as a distant second-tier sport.

Wasn't the Aggy QB a baseball star; surefire 1st round pick?   I know nothing about the guy, but I'm curious if the status of being the king shit football player was part of the decision process for him.   

36 minutes ago, F250 said:

I think this is the case in most schools in Texas. It's common for the head football coach to oversee the other sports coaches. They ingrain the "your a football player first and play other sports to keep you in shape year round" mentality. Then they reward the players with preferential treatment and popularity.

It was like this in my time and it was pretty much the same way with my own kids when they were in high school.

Yeah our athletics class was football and then "offseason" during the period. Only after school would you practice any non-football sport. We'd show up to district games in basketball absolutely exhausted with dead arms from an intense workout earlier that day.

One kid decided to quit football to focus on basketball and he was a fairly decent WR. The WR coach was writing names on the lockers for the new school year and pretended like he'd never met him and asked him his name. Grown ass man acting like a weirdo because a kid didn't want to play a game anymore.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Yeah our athletics class was football and then "offseason" during the period. Only after school would you practice any non-football sport. We'd show up to district games in basketball absolutely exhausted with dead arms from an intense workout earlier that day.

One kid decided to quit football to focus on basketball and he was a fairly decent WR. The WR coach was writing names on the lockers for the new school year and pretended like he'd never met him and asked him his name. Grown ass man acting like a weirdo because a kid didn't want to play a game anymore.

lol same experience. Stayed in football class all year long and had to play baseball games after having grueling offseason workouts in football class earlier in the day. My kids had similar complaints but there seemed to be a lot more coordination between the offseason football training and baseball games than what I experienced.

I can honestly say I never had an athletics class. Is that like super PE or something?

Football for me in HS was August to December, then don't think about it again until two a days the following summer.

200.gif
Well, in their minds, there are "good ones" and "bad ones". The team might have some "bad ones" that are tolerated because of their abilities, but the "good ones" are deemed brothers and they won't have to worry because Trump isn't taking about them.

7 minutes ago, G650 said:

I can honestly say I never had an athletics class. Is that like super PE or something?

Football for me in HS was August to December, then don't think about it again until two a days the following summer.

Pretty much. Starting in 7th grade, you could choose athletics instead of PE and that meant you did football and chose between basketball and track for your other sport.  But really it was the way you 1)start learning terminology and playbook for football that was the same all the way through varsity, 2) had coaches get eyes on you to rank your abilities early on, and 3) get you in a real lifting program and working on fitness at a level above what PE delivered. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

56 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Yes, 2012 Romney would have a lot of supporters on this board. The fact you don't understand that is on you, not the other posters on this board. 

Give specific examples of conservative positions that are shot down on this board. 

Fiscal conservatism, Covid, Israel are all topics I've been shouted down as Maga/Trumper/Republican for having a non-liberal position the few times I engage over here.  No time to debate this further today.  If this board (and we are talking about most, not all) wants to pretend it doesn't lean liberal, go for it. I don't really give a shit. Just call it like I see it when I rarely venture over here.

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

"Fiscal conservatism, Covid, Israel" aren't positions, I asked for specific positions. 

You are proving the argument for me. Instead of engaging on policy discussion when asked you are waving your hands and running away. In your mind this will be added to the pile of times you claim you were shouted down when what is really happening is you aren't proposing or discussing anything of substance. And having some posters call you names and disagree with you doesn't mean the whole board is like that. It means you're too sensitive if a handful of assholes makes you feel like the whole forum is ganging up on you. 

But this is how it works. People come to the Cloak Room either unwilling or unable to discuss things then run away and claim people were mean to them. 

Quit being so ultra liberal on skipper! He’s just calling it like he sees it in his own head which is infallible and not open for debate!

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

You are proving the argument for me. Instead of engaging on policy discussion when asked you are waving your hands and running away.

LOL This isn't a "policy discussion" thread.  This is a thread trashing former UT athletes for having political positions that don't align with this board. I just found that amusing considering the state we live in.  Of course a shit load of former UT athletes are Trumpers.   Just like a bunch of your family, friends, and work colleagues are.  It's not newsworthy.  Trump will easily carry this state again as we all know.

But next time I engage in an actual policy discussion thread/topic I'll be sure to loop you in since.

7 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Fiscal conservatism, Covid, Israel are all topics I've been shouted down as Maga/Trumper/Republican for having a non-liberal position the few times I engage over here.  No time to debate this further today.  If this board (and we are talking about most, not all) wants to pretend it doesn't lean liberal, go for it. I don't really give a shit. Just call it like I see it when I rarely venture over here.

You'd agree that "lean liberal" is a sizeable goalpost move from "ultra liberal" and "echo chamber" that you used earlier, yeah?

Though, obviously, there are some very outspoken ultra liberals who occasionally need to tap the brakes, but I don't find it to the majority, even with my ultra conservative background. Now more than ever educated people lean liberal.

• Hook 'Em 4

Also, the Israel thread is 159 pages long. Now, I haven't read all of them, but there's not a single conflicting viewpoint? Not one? 

If prong horn can survive posting nothing but alt-right Twitter at 3 in the morning, I don't think a well-reasoned, sincere opinion with attempts to back up with logic would be shouted down.

You certainly aren't one of the them, but the insincerity the drips off some of the drop-in conservative posters as they feign curiosity is so tiresome (Animal Tobacco anyone?).

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 3

23 minutes ago, Skipper said:

LOL This isn't a "policy discussion" thread.  This is a thread trashing former UT athletes for having political positions that don't align with this board. I just found that amusing considering the state we live in.  Of course a shit load of former UT athletes are Trumpers.   Just like a bunch of your family, friends, and work colleagues are.  It's not newsworthy.  Trump will easily carry this state again as we all know.

But next time I engage in an actual policy discussion thread/topic I'll be sure to loop you in si

Once again, that is not the reason I started this thread. Your reading comprehension is fucking garbage.

37 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Idk about those other topics, but I member when you negged me for saying that Hamas doesn't represent Palestinians any more than Netanyahu represents Jewish people and then flipped your lid and said everyone supporting a ceasefire was a terrorist sympathizer. Could be crazy, but that's why you might have been "shouted down". Don't worry, your boy Macklemore had your back, though.

• Hook 'Em 9

3 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Idk about those other topics, but I member when you negged me for saying that Hamas doesn't represent Palestinians any more than Netanyahu represents Jewish people and then flipped your lid and said everyone supporting a ceasefire was a terrorist sympathizer. Could be crazy, but that's why you might have been "shouted down". Don't worry, your boy Macklemore had your back, though.

Maybe this is an ultra liberal hot take, but if someone is going to scream at someone else that they're a terrorist sympathizer because they don't think thousands of children should be intentionally starved, I don't think they should bitch about people who disagree with them on other issues being mean to them. And if someone does do both of those things, we should probably all call him a pussy.

1 hour ago, F250 said:

lol same experience. Stayed in football class all year long and had to play baseball games after having grueling offseason workouts in football class earlier in the day. My kids had similar complaints but there seemed to be a lot more coordination between the offseason football training and baseball games than what I experienced.

Well, ours wasn't that bad.  Those in other sports used that 6th period for that sport, even when they were football players.  A star-stud MLB was a standout on both teams and a "coach on the field" and he didn't get much grief, I suppose because he didn't need a bunch of extra coaching in spring workouts.  I remember a WR didn't come out for baseball until his senior year because of pressure to attend spring workouts and avoid injury.  I remember specifically he was put in as a PR and got deked and tagged out by a SS who fake threw back to the pitcher.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

LOL.  Sure thing.  You are Exhibit A as to why most avoid this place. 

3 hours ago, royiv said:

It always amazes me how white football players can play a sport where more than half of the players at the highest level are black and openly be the worst MAGAT. Arch and Quinn openly supporting a racist POS seems like it would make for some awkward interactions with teammates.

i’ve always wondered how steve young was able to share a locker room with deion sanders, terrell owens, and worst of all charles haley.

I played baseball & football in high school, was the best player at both too. Everyone crying about baseball players being stupid douchebags are probably the same guys who I stole girlfriends from back in the day. 

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I played baseball & football in high school, was the best player at both too. Everyone crying about baseball players being stupid douchebags are probably the same guys who I stole girlfriends from back in the day. 

sure-grandma.png

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Skipper said:

LOL.  Sure thing.  You are Exhibit A as to why most avoid this place. 

You hold pretty good opinions about most things. I don't think you're a bad guy. I'm just pointing out one instance in which you went wild in one of the examples you gave about being shouted down.

Also "this place" is the 2nd most active board on Surly, behind football, and has thousands of unique posters and lurkers. It has to be the most active politics boards out there (if not the most active) on a fundamentally sports-centric message board, so I'm not sure as many as you think are avoiding it.

Edited by Brian Fantana
  • Hook 'Em 4

9 minutes ago, Helobious said:

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Horn75 said:

It’s Houston street. You guys are very mean. I’m sorry my tweet hurt your feelings

It's spelled Huston, Houston.

Edited by bolverk
Red Five beat me to it by mere seconds.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I played baseball & football in high school, was the best player at both too. Everyone crying about baseball players being stupid douchebags

…now have another data point supporting their position.

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

There is no such thing as fiscal conservatism in the real world.

• Hook 'Em 3