So, apparently Greg Swindell is a dumbshit

Bolero88

21 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Where is the Arch being openly MAGA coming from? He doesn’t seem to do socials. 

the day of the shooting this summer both QBs posted the fist up, little ouchie on the ear pic.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, BrickHorn said:

That is part of it, but the same is also true of soccer (at least in the US). And in my (and my kids’) experience, baseball players are way dumber and way more MAGA than soccer players, statistically speaking. 

I think it’s a combo of (a) suburban and (b) dumb. Baseball just doesn’t require much thought.

Full disclosure my son is a non-MAGA 6A HS pitcher in a fairly MAGA area.  There are MAGA parents and kids on the team but a lot are not and others I know outright detest it.  On the smarts front it runs the gamut but there are probably at least 7 or 8 seniors who are at least in the top 20% of their class at a pretty academically competitive school.  So like with a lot of things it runs the gamut and painting anything with a broad stereotype while it may statistically resonate is a fool's errand when it gets down to individual to individual in the sport or any sport.  And beyond all that uhhh "the thinking man's game?"  But we can agree to disagree there.

I do think baseball is by far the most emotionally taxing team sport.  It can single out every single one of your failures to even the most unknowledgeable fan.  Sure in football a coach can tell if you missed that block or didn't carry out that fake, but in baseball when you stand there and strike out with all eyes on you, commit an error with all eyes on you, are a pitcher who has lost command/control on the mound with all eyes on you....yea there isn't any hiding when those things happen. There really isn't another team sport that you have to wallow in the failure quite like baseball.  Given the way the game is structured, it can be a while before you have another chance to make amends (unlike in football there is another play you are likely involved with coming right up, basketball another trip down the court, etc)  So you have to stand out there with that failure marinating in your brain. I think the inability to deal with that (by kids and their parents) is what makes so many kids quit and or turns them into assholes.  

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Full disclosure my son is a non-MAGA 6A HS pitcher in a fairly MAGA area.  There are MAGA parents and kids on the team but a lot are not and others I know outright detest it.  On the smarts front it runs the gamut but there are probably at least 7 or 8 seniors who are at least in the top 20% of their class at a pretty academically competitive school.  So like with a lot of things it runs the gamut and painting anything with a broad stereotype while it may statistically resonate is a fool's errand when it gets down to individual to individual in the sport or any sport.  And beyond all that uhhh "the thinking man's game?"  But we can agree to disagree there.

I do think baseball is by far the most emotionally taxing team sport.  It can single out every single one of your failures to even the most unknowledgeable fan.  Sure in football a coach can tell if you missed that block or didn't carry out that fake, but in baseball when you stand there and strike out with all eyes on you, commit an error with all eyes on you, are a pitcher who has lost command/control on the mound with all eyes on you....yea there isn't any hiding when those things happen. There really isn't another team sport that you have to wallow in the failure quite like baseball.  Given the way the game is structured, it can be a while before you have another chance to make amends (unlike in football there is another play you are likely involved with coming right up, basketball another trip down the court, etc)  So you have to stand out there with that failure marinating in your brain. I think the inability to deal with that (by kids and their parents) is what makes so many kids quit and or turns them into assholes.  

Lol I have a story.  A small town story but none the less. I sucked as a little  league player for the most part.  There was this one game, where I got it.  I was 3 for 4, including a home run, and at my last at bat I hit a screaming triple down the baseline.  I missed second base when I was running.  I mean my feet just missed the bag I was going so fast.  

I got called out.  I was ashamed and mad.  You know what I did?  I took my uniform to the coach and said sorry, I can’t do this anymore.    You know what I didn’t do? Cry and whine and litigate second base, and say someone cheated.  So yeah, baseball teaches lessons, and has been very very good to me.

spacer.png

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Hook 'Em 2

42 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

I believe the Arch pic was photoshopped. 

I was pretty drunk by the time i looked on IG but pretty sure I saw it on both their pages. But then again, I was drunk so could definitely be wrong there in regards to only Mr. Manning.

Edited by achooloco

1 hour ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

was 3 for 4, including a home run, and at my last at bat I hit a screaming triple down the baseline.  I missed second base when I was running.  I mean my feet just missed the bag I was going so fast.  

Ooof. One of my sons did this in a Little League game. It was the end of the season and we were competing for the ToC seeding against a team that was tied in first with us.

The bases were loaded and my son drilled a ball that hit the top of the fence. What looked like a stand up triple resulted in him being out for not touching 2nd base. He went from elation to disappointment in seconds after the blue made the call.

I was the head coach and just told him "it doesn't count if you don't do it right. Remember to stay focused."

Yes, there are a lot of life lessons learned in the game.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Surly Bevo said:

I lettered in football, baseball and track. DE/TE in football and 3rd basemen catcher in baseball. Regarding the mental aspect of the game, football never came close to baseball. As you said, you can quickly make up for a mistake in a football game but it could take weeks to come out of a slump in baseball. Baseball can be a mind fuck but football not so much.

1 hour ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Lol I have a story.  A small town story but none the less. I sucked as a little  league player for the most part.  There was this one game, where I got it.  I was 3 for 4, including a home run, and at my last at bat I hit a screaming triple down the baseline.  I missed second base when I was running.  I mean my feet just missed the bag I was going so fast.  

I got called out.  I was ashamed and mad.  You know what I did?  I took my uniform to the coach and said sorry, I can’t do this anymore.    You know what I didn’t do? Cry and whine and litigate second base, and say someone cheated.  So yeah, baseball teaches lessons, and has been very very good to me.

spacer.png

Holy fucking shit, you're Chico Escuela?

Season 18 Omg GIF by America's Got Talent

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

I don't give a shit if Quinn and Arch support Trump or not.  That's their right, but what I think will be interesting to watch as the new NIL world evolves is whether visible political stances cost people like Quinn and Arch some dough.  Orgs like Burnt Ends likely won't care.  But businesses driven by profit motive (vs say something like X) want least common denominator, unoffensive pitchmen that do not alienate customers.

• Hook 'Em 6

Baseball is a great sport for the type of athlete that prefers to sit down on a bench in the shade for half the game waiting your turn to be involved.  And stand there, more or less stationary, for most of the other half of the game, waiting for a ball that usually isn’t going to come to you unless you one of a tiny number of key players.   It’s also good if you’re the type of person that wants to brag about failing 2/3 of the time. 

54 minutes ago, Goredho said:

I don't give a shit if Quinn and Arch support Trump or not.  That's their right, but what I think will be interesting to watch as the new NIL world evolves is whether visible political stances cost people like Quinn and Arch some dough.  Orgs like Burnt Ends likely won't care.  But businesses driven by profit motive (vs say something like X) want least common denominator, unoffensive pitchmen that do not alienate customers.

Yeah. If I remember from when I was that age (and I don't remember much) politics was waaaay down on the list of things I thought about. More than likely these celebrity athletes aren't spending too many cerebral cycles splitting the policy governance atom. They are just along for the ride. I think these two have are probably surrounded by smart people helping them navigate these waters and not get too fiesty in either direction. And they seem like cool cats who are too level to go nuts. Hopefully I didn't just kill us all.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

On the one hand, the team/individual aspect of it can be mentally taxing, as well as keeping track of responsibilities in the on-again/off-again nature of the game.  On the other, a lot of the muscle memory required I think can be inconsistent with being much of a thinker.  If you are a thinker, you have to be able to turn it off, at the plate at least.  And that can give dumbshits kind of an advantage.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

On the one hand, the team/individual aspect of it can be mentally taxing, as well as keeping track of responsibilities in the on-again/off-again nature of the game.  On the other, a lot of the muscle memory required I think can be inconsistent with being much of a thinker.  If you are a thinker, you have to be able to turn it off, at the plate at least.  And that can give dumbshits kind of an advantage.

Agree. I had to really slow down my brain when I was batting. I had a mantra at the plate that I just repeated over and over to simplify everything. 

3 hours ago, Goredho said:

Presumably these guys sign contracts for each NIL endeavor. I would have to assume that there is language in the deal allowing termination if the individual conducts themselves in certain ways that are damaging to a brand. But cancelling a deal for political ideology (or religion ,etc...) seems like a thorny proposition after the deal is signed. Better do a good job vetting the dude before you  cough  up a check. 

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

You gotta know what a crumpet is to understand cricket. 

Wise man say: "Forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza."

• Like 1

On 8/24/2024 at 7:58 AM, SydneyCarton said:

Maybe, just maybe, he’s irritated because he played high level baseball and he’s a liberal democrat who posts in the cloak room, none of which screams “victim.”

Statistically, you may be right, but let me go ahead and start painting mental illness with a real broad brush and see how you feel, derka. 

Maybe he shouldn’t be such a pussy about random internet comments.

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Agree. I had to really slow down my brain when I was batting. I had a mantra at the plate that I just repeated over and over to simplify everything. 

Yep, I spent my time in right field, figuring out just how big of a bubble I could make with hubba bubba grape.   When that ball came my  way, I was completely unprepared.  

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Yep, I spent my time in right field, figuring out just how big of a bubble I could make with hubba bubba grape.   When that ball came my  way, I was completely unprepared.  

Found some audio of you

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Yep, my mantra was “please don’t let Coach find out I’m fucking his wife.”

• Drool 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

17 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

See, e.g., Dykstra, Lenny.

10 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Curt Schilling

Honestly, I’m struggling to think of a former MLB player who went on to do anything even remotely intelligent after retiring. In football, basketball, soccer, and hockey, former players provide insightful color commentary and in-studio analysis. I can’t think of a former baseball player that fills these roles without embarrassing themselves as either drunken clowns (e.g., Mike Shannon) or just plain dumb (e.g., John Kruk, Joe Morgan). Edit: Billy Bean would be an exception.

Not all baseball players are dumb. A lot of us grew up playing the sport, and we’re a smart group. But at the high levels, the game just doesn’t seem to attract or develop intelligent players.

The stats nerds have ruined the sport, but they understand it far, far better than players. It’s just a weird disconnect because literally no other sport presents that dynamic.

Edited by BrickHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Honestly, I’m struggling to think of a former MLB player who went on to do anything even remotely intelligent after retiring. In football, basketball, soccer, and hockey, former players provide insightful color commentary and in-studio analysis. I can’t think of a former baseball player that fills these roles without embarrassing themselves as either drunken clowns (e.g., Mike Shannon) or just plain dumb (e.g., John Kruk, Joe Morgan). Edit: Billy Bean would be an exception.

Not all baseball players are dumb. A lot of us grew up playing the sport, and we’re a smart group. But at the high levels, the game just doesn’t seem to attract or develop intelligent players.

The stats nerds have ruined the sport, but they understand it far, far better than players. It’s just a weird disconnect because literally no other sport presents that dynamic.

Nolan Ryan

A Rod

Big Papi

• Hook 'Em 2

coming in hot, insulting me, and losing his shit because i said that white american baseball players are the poster children for trump fan boys, which they are, actually does scream victim. if what i said doesn’t apply to him then why is he all in his feelings over it?
we all know that im fat and mentally ill. people around here talk shit about fat and/or mentally ill people all of the time. do you see me throwing a fit whenever that happens? no? then go ahead sydney, paint away. won’t hurt my feelings.  because my fat, uneducated, mentally ill ass is clearly more mature and secure than whoever the fuck this homesick horn pussy is, so maybe he should worry about that before worrying about whatever my fat ass is saying. sorry if i hurt your friend’s feelings with my factual statement, he still ran in here reacted like a little bitch.

I never came in hot, or played the victim. I made a tongue in cheek joke about getting laid, and you can’t let it go. I’m the victim? Keep your rant going though, you’re crushing it.

37 minutes ago, Homesickhorn said:

I never came in hot, or played the victim. I made a tongue in cheek joke about getting laid, and you can’t let it go. I’m the victim? Keep your rant going though, you’re crushing it.

dude don’t backtrack now. you came in here all butthurt and triggered, calling me a fatass and telling me what a loser i was in high school while bragging about all the pussy your “nice guy” self got (lol yeah that tracks). either apologize for being a dick for no reason or double down and tell me that i’m a fat loser with body odor. don’t sit here and pretend like you didn’t come in here like an asshole because my accurate post that had nothing to do with you set you off and got you all in your feelings.