So, apparently Greg Swindell is a dumbshit

Bolero88

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Greg Swindell is most likely a dumbshit, but stories like this suck:

image.thumb.png.bd3ceaf8a1190e627f27def77b4a4f20.png

@immamac in light of the above and Greg Swindell's connection to the University, I would support taking this thread down for now.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Yep, I spent my time in right field, figuring out just how big of a bubble I could make with hubba bubba grape.   When that ball came my  way, I was completely unprepared.  

In the playoffs against Mountain Lakes, I was thinking about cooze and missed a fly ball.   I never had the makings of a varsity athlete. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

In the playoffs against Mountain Lakes, I was thinking about cooze and missed a fly ball.   I never had the makings of a varsity athlete. 

That could be on my tombstone.  “Never had the makings of much of nothing” 😂

Missing since Thursday, wife posts this on Friday. Doesn’t seem overly concerned about the situation at hand.

When did he post the thing above about their daughter being missing?

57 minutes ago, Blotto said:

why?

It feels like punching down.

36 minutes ago, royiv said:

Missing since Thursday, wife posts this on Friday. Doesn’t seem overly concerned about the situation at hand.

If my adult daughter was out of communication for one day I wouldn’t consider her “missing” unless it came to my attention that she didn’t show up for stuff on Friday.

in other words, it’s highly likely she didn’t know.

• Hook 'Em 2

About 2 too many swindell threads on here for the year of our lord 2024.   One, most importantly, because the situation with his daughter sucks and hopefully it turns out ok, and the other because he has some loopy ideas of what is good in a person and great in a politician. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

an adult doesn't answer calls from their parents and they know roughly where she is, and who she's with? I'm unsure that meets the definition of missing.

the bf has a warrant 

39 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

an adult doesn't answer calls from their parents and they know roughly where she is, and who she's with? I'm unsure that meets the definition of missing.

She may not be with her phone or car. Speculation at this point is just that. As there's a thread covering her disappearance in DT, might as well use that one. We can focus on Swindel being a Maga chud on this thread

• Hook 'Em 5

On 8/22/2024 at 4:42 PM, jimmyjazz said:

My plumber is now $240/hr.  He always cuts me a break, but holy Jesus.  At least he's good, and fast.

I called the plumbers for my elderly mom's house. They were some low number of Kevin Bacons from her late dad's electrical company. Charged her 80 bucks for about an hour's work. My mom, who thinks in 1950 dollars, was indignant.

• Haha 6

My sympathies go out to the Swindell family, and I hope the situation gets resolved swiftly and in a positive manner.  That's for another thread though so I'll leave it at that.

I have to disagree with some of the things being said about the intelligence of baseball players.  I played at the college level(not at Texas), and I never had a chin beard, never owned a pair of Oakleys, and never drove a jacked up truck.  I played with a lot of highly intelligent players in high school and college.  I played with someone who is now a doctor, someone who is now a lawyer, someone who went to Princeton and now works on Wall Street, someone who went to the Naval Academy and also has a master's degree.  Even some of the players who majored in education and/or kinesiology took Algebra III, Calculus II, and Differential Equations in college.  I'm sure at the professional level there are more players who seem like dumbasses, but just because they are uneducated doesn't mean they are not intelligent.

As others have said, baseball is known as the thinking man's sport.  I don't understand how some of y'all can say you can just turn off your brain and play ball.  You should be thinking constantly when playing baseball.  The situation changes from pitch to pitch.  If you're batting you need to be thinking about the pitcher's tendencies in certain situations so you can anticipate a pitch.  You also need to be thinking about the current situation so you know what you need to do to have a successful at bat.  If you're fielding you need to know what the batter's tendencies are, and be thinking about what you're going to do when the ball comes to you.  When you're pitching you need to be thinking about what pitches the batter likes, and how you can get him to swing at your pitch.  There's no turning your brain off if you're trying to play competitively.  

I will challenge some of y'all to go read I Had A Hammer by Hank Aaron or The Science of Hitting by Ted Williams. I'm sure there are other displays of intelligence out there, but those are the first that come to my mind.  Read those books, and then come talk about the intelligence of baseball players.

• Hook 'Em 5

I think "travel ball" and the increasing monomaniacal focus on a single sport is contributing to the dumbassedness of a lot of baseball players.

I have a friend, close to my age, so old, that was a pretty competitive tennis player in HS and took a scholarship to MIchigan.  But he observed that tennis players at that level were just not fun people to be around. Even back then, their lives were full of private coaching, tournament travel and so on an so forth to where they were kind of nuts and psychos.  And that's even compared to just being a D1 athlete, which Lord knows is all-consuming.

He quit playing tennis except for fun.  I have heard similar things from other tennis players my age.  And, it seems more and more sports are heading in that same direction.

And, of course, it takes a good bit of money to do that, so there are probably accompanying issues of entitlement, etc.

Of course, none of this applies to Swindell, also my age, because there wasn't that much extra shit involved in baseball back then, BBI and/or Legion and your HS team.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

4 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

That could be on my tombstone.  “Never had the makings of much of nothing” 😂

“I was thinking about cooze” could be on mine

Edited by Sawbonz
Fuck you autocorrect
  • Haha 4
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, Hammerin Hank said:

My sympathies go out to the Swindell family, and I hope the situation gets resolved swiftly and in a positive manner.  That's for another thread though so I'll leave it at that.

I have to disagree with some of the things being said about the intelligence of baseball players.  I played at the college level(not at Texas), and I never had a chin beard, never owned a pair of Oakleys, and never drove a jacked up truck.  I played with a lot of highly intelligent players in high school and college.  I played with someone who is now a doctor, someone who is now a lawyer, someone who went to Princeton and now works on Wall Street, someone who went to the Naval Academy and also has a master's degree.  Even some of the players who majored in education and/or kinesiology took Algebra III, Calculus II, and Differential Equations in college.  I'm sure at the professional level there are more players who seem like dumbasses, but just because they are uneducated doesn't mean they are not intelligent.

As others have said, baseball is known as the thinking man's sport.  I don't understand how some of y'all can say you can just turn off your brain and play ball.  You should be thinking constantly when playing baseball.  The situation changes from pitch to pitch.  If you're batting you need to be thinking about the pitcher's tendencies in certain situations so you can anticipate a pitch.  You also need to be thinking about the current situation so you know what you need to do to have a successful at bat.  If you're fielding you need to know what the batter's tendencies are, and be thinking about what you're going to do when the ball comes to you.  When you're pitching you need to be thinking about what pitches the batter likes, and how you can get him to swing at your pitch.  There's no turning your brain off if you're trying to play competitively.  

I will challenge some of y'all to go read I Had A Hammer by Hank Aaron or The Science of Hitting by Ted Williams. I'm sure there are other displays of intelligence out there, but those are the first that come to my mind.  Read those books, and then come talk about the intelligence of baseball players.

For the record, I said baseball attracts assholes.

It’s hockey that attracts morons.

I say this as a former baseball and hockey player.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Post Oak said:

These two are absolute spoons.

If memory serves, he has an autistic son and a daughter in the gay community. Odd show of love to your family to support a man (trump) known to shit on thr special needs and the gay communities. Hopefully his other daughter is safe.

Edited by pacman
  • Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Hammerin Hank said:

I get your frustration with people painting with a broad brush around intelligence and baseball.  Obviously, this notion doesn't apply across the board, as evidenced by some of your former team mates and yourself.  I would, however, point out that there is such a thing as baseball IQ, and that doesn't necessarily translate to traditional IQ.  A couple of examples, just off the top of my head are Johnny Damon and Chipper Jones, two guys that could definitely play, and were baseball smart, but lets face it, they aren't going to win any academic bowls.   Chipper is on Atlanta radio a lot, and when it comes to baseball, he's got great insight, beyond baseball, oh boy.  

The bigger reason to me though, as to why baseball is being considered in this light is this explosion of the travel baseball, it's culture, and the notorious baseball dad.  What you are winding up with, is 11 year olds playing a major league schedule and being in an echo chamber where baseball becomes everything.  This isn't healthy, and I've got news for all the baseball dads out there, it's not helping your kids chances.  At a certain point, it comes down to the fact that either you have talent or don't, and while some display promise at these younger ages, the amount of energy solely devoted to this pursuit at that age is ridiculous.  What has developed around the sport is a culture that foregoes almost everything else (including balanced focus on academics) in favor of baseball, and this isn't healthy at all.  Basically, you've got hundreds of thousands of Marv Marinovich's out there psychotically pushing their kids, it's not gonna turn out well for them.  

I don't have a son, but if I did, I would not at all allow him to be in this sort of environment.  It's important for people to have exposure to lots of different sports, activities, and pursuits (to include academics), especially at a young age.  Perhaps parsing things down at an older age, say 16 or so makes sense, but the current psychotic nature of what is going on in youth sports in general is out of fuck control.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Baseball requires about as much thinking as bowling. Thats why 5 year olds have baseball leagues

Yeah, but have you ever seen 5 yo bowling leagues?

I get your frustration with people painting with a broad brush around intelligence and baseball.  Obviously, this notion doesn't apply across the board, as evidenced by some of your former team mates and yourself.  I would, however, point out that there is such a thing as baseball IQ, and that doesn't necessarily translate to traditional IQ.  A couple of examples, just off the top of my head are Johnny Damon and Chipper Jones, two guys that could definitely play, and were baseball smart, but lets face it, they aren't going to win any academic bowls.   Chipper is on Atlanta radio a lot, and when it comes to baseball, he's got great insight, beyond baseball, oh boy.  
The bigger reason to me though, as to why baseball is being considered in this light is this explosion of the travel baseball, it's culture, and the notorious baseball dad.  What you are winding up with, is 11 year olds playing a major league schedule and being in an echo chamber where baseball becomes everything.  This isn't healthy, and I've got news for all the baseball dads out there, it's not helping your kids chances.  At a certain point, it comes down to the fact that either you have talent or don't, and while some display promise at these younger ages, the amount of energy solely devoted to this pursuit at that age is ridiculous.  What has developed around the sport is a culture that foregoes almost everything else (including balanced focus on academics) in favor of baseball, and this isn't healthy at all.  Basically, you've got hundreds of thousands of Marv Marinovich's out there psychotically pushing their kids, it's not gonna turn out well for them.  
I don't have a son, but if I did, I would not at all allow him to be in this sort of environment.  It's important for people to have exposure to lots of different sports, activities, and pursuits (to include academics), especially at a young age.  Perhaps parsing things down at an older age, say 16 or so makes sense, but the current psychotic nature of what is going on in youth sports in general is out of fuck control.  

So much this. Starting at age 15, my teammates and I were on the tip of the spear when it came to travel (select) baseball. For us, it was the opportunity to play during the summer in a more competitive environment than standard little league provided. The idea, at first, was to get more games in after high school broke for summer. It was also extremely fun. It’s also when I began to notice the dawn of the current baseball dad. I’ve since watched this culture evolve into an experiment that went wrong. The whole point of select ball was to get better, so your high school team could potentially compete for a state birth. Also, selfishly, to gain exposure to some coaches at the next level.
Now, some of these dads don’t even let their sons play on the high school team for a myriad of reasons;
They don’t like the coach
They don’t think the level of competition is adequate
They’re paying private fucking select coaches, and hitting/pitching instructors so much money, that the dudes are literally becoming scouts

At that age, the game should be fun. I have to look extremely hard to see that in the kids’ eyes nowadays. And it’s extremely sad.
  • Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, Homesickhorn said:

So much this. Starting at age 15, my teammates and I were on the tip of the spear when it came to travel (select) baseball. For us, it was the opportunity to play during the summer in a more competitive environment than standard little league provided. The idea, at first, was to get more games in after high school broke for summer. It was also extremely fun. It’s also when I began to notice the dawn of the current baseball dad. I’ve since watched this culture evolve into an experiment that went wrong. The whole point of select ball was to get better, so your high school team could potentially compete for a state birth. Also, selfishly, to gain exposure to some coaches at the next level.
Now, some of these dads don’t even let their sons play on the high school team for a myriad of reasons;
They don’t like the coach
They don’t think the level of competition is adequate
They’re paying private fucking select coaches, and hitting/pitching instructors so much money, that the dudes are literally becoming scouts

At that age, the game should be fun. I have to look extremely hard to see that in the kids’ eyes nowadays. And it’s extremely sad.

Heroes get remembered...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Homesickhorn said:

I don't know baseball, but I know high level select soccer, and a lot of us dads (who were for the most part very hands off) discouraged our sons from playing on the HS team, primarily because it was bully ball with very poor coaching.  I doubt there is an analog in baseball.

49 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't know baseball, but I know high level select soccer, and a lot of us dads (who were for the most part very hands off) discouraged our sons from playing on the HS team, primarily because it was bully ball with very poor coaching.  I doubt there is an analog in baseball.

This is 180 degrees from my experience playing soccer, and the parents were so much better for the HS team. This is tempered however by my advanced age, so many things could have changed in the interim.

Just now, G650 said:

This is 180 degrees from my experience playing soccer, and the parents were so much better for the HS team. This is tempered however by my advanced age, so many things could have changed in the interim.

Well, this is purely an Austin perspective as far as the high school teams are concerned.  The fields are often terrible, and the style of play is more football on a pitch than the more elegant game we saw against the best select teams from Dallas, etc.