So, apparently Greg Swindell is a dumbshit

Bolero88

51 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't know baseball, but I know high level select soccer, and a lot of us dads (who were for the most part very hands off) discouraged our sons from playing on the HS team, primarily because it was bully ball with very poor coaching.  I doubt there is an analog in baseball.

This. I wish my kids would quit high school soccer and use that time to play a different sport (like track). HS season is just an opportunity to get hurt while playing dumb soccer and unlearning all the good habits developed at a club. But the kids love the camaraderie and school spirit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, pacman said:

And HS soccer is the worst time of year to be outside in Texas. Cold. Sleet. Ice.

Played HS soccer in Houston and I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there.

Ice? Sleet? What are these things?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Back on the main topic i have to guess that someone in Swindells demographics has a high percentage of being hard core maga (50%) or at least being unable to vote for a democrat (30%).

if you add in that he has an autistic son that was diagnosed soon after vaccines, being a trump supporter must be closer to 95%

6 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Back on the main topic i have to guess that someone in Swindells demographics has a high percentage of being hard core maga (50%) or at least being unable to vote for a democrat (30%).

if you add in that he has an autistic son that was diagnosed soon after vaccines, being a trump supporter must be closer to 95%

But, but didn't Operation Warp Speed rush a vaccine into production?

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Horn75 said:

Stupid fucks on here making fun of an Alum who’s daughter is missing. Do better regardless of political beliefs 

Thread was started prior to that happening. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, this is purely an Austin perspective as far as the high school teams are concerned.  The fields are often terrible, and the style of play is more football on a pitch than the more elegant game we saw against the best select teams from Dallas, etc.

Man, back in the 80s, "club soccer" was a thing, for both boys and girls.  And, yes, occasionally, a player would forego the HS team for club pursuits.  So it was already heading that way.

6 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

It's crazy to me that all these pro athletes, who totally benefit from being a member of a player's union that has made them millions, support candidates that are totally anti-union. Without their unions they would be working as bouncers in some quasi-mafioso's booster establishment. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, this is purely an Austin perspective as far as the high school teams are concerned.  The fields are often terrible, and the style of play is more football on a pitch than the more elegant game we saw against the best select teams from Dallas, etc.

Yeah... I've always viewed high school soccer as the step child of youth soccer in Texas because there are so many exceptional club teams.  The quality of play tends to be suspect.  For our corner of AISD, my son's middle school team somehow bowled over everyone else in the district because the team was exclusively made up of kids who play soccer for local clubs like Westlake, Lone Star, Cap City, etc.  Those kids get fed to their high school and despite having an incredibly laughable practice field, they seem to do well.  Apparently they were one of the top ranked teams in the state.  Maybe that's more due to the kids than the coaching but I think most of them view playing HS ball as a cool thing rather than what you aspire to.  

3 hours ago, pacman said:

And HS soccer is the worst time of year to be outside in Texas. Cold. Sleet. Ice.

You've never sat outside in June or July for 5-6 hours at a swim meet have you?  Little fuckers are in the pool for 10-15 minutes, tops.  

• Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

8 hours ago, Homesickhorn said:

Now, some of these dads don’t even let their sons play on the high school team for a myriad of reasons;

I'm not sure this is happening. Travel/showcase at 16U and up is nonexistent during the high school baseball season. There are not many options during the high school season outside of UIL. There are some home school leagues but those are home schoolers or guys that were cut from their school team. College recruiting isn't taking place in the Spring because coaches are busy with their own season. Pretty much all of the showcase stuff is done in Summer and a bit in the Fall.

59 minutes ago, sidis said:

what an absolute dipshit.

1) he's not an alum.

2) the making fun was done well prior to his daughter going missing. no one is making fun or light of that situation you fucking clown. they are making fun of him for using his minor celebrity to pick up a bullhorn and screaming the stupidest shit imaginable. kind of like your post.

3) you don't actually give a fuck. just made a pathetic effort to act like self-righteous twat in a worthless drive-by post that only a dildo would actually make.

In fairness, you don't have to graduate to be an alumnus.

Also, did he not graduate?

Edited by David Dennison

Stupid fucks on here making fun of an Alum who’s daughter is missing. Do better regardless of political beliefs 

Wow. Read the entire thread, dipshit. Because if you had, you’d see that not only was this thread started before this was news, but that even some were burned, and rebuilt. Lessons learned, hell, the whole shabang.

Your dumbass popped into the elevator, farted on everyone behind you, and immediately got off on the next floor, smirking. Fuck you.

49 minutes ago, shakahorn said:

He was a coach on the baseball team.  So he has to have a 4 year degree from somewhere.

Not unless he was head coach.  The database linked on this thread makes it pretty clear he never earned a degree.

43 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

He was a volunteer assistant coach at Texas State and UT, so no degree was probably required. Also, an alumnus refers to either a graduate or someone who attended a school.

I wasn't sure if he was a volunteer or paid at UT.  I thought he was paid which would typically require a 4 year degree from someplace, not necessarily UT.

I'm not sure this is happening. Travel/showcase at 16U and up is nonexistent during the high school baseball season. There are not many options during the high school season outside of UIL. There are some home school leagues but those are home schoolers or guys that were cut from their school team. College recruiting isn't taking place in the Spring because coaches are busy with their own season. Pretty much all of the showcase stuff is done in Summer and a bit in the Fall.

I want to mention names, but I can’t. I personally know two dads who pulled their sons (pitchers) from playing high school ball their senior seasons, due to the boys’ select coaches and pitching “instructors” telling them to do so. I hope that you’re right, and that this is a rarity. But again, it just makes me shake my head.

I teach at a college that has a pretty large athletic population. It’s very far down the pecking order from a place like Texas, so most of the students don’t openly harbor professional aspirations; they’ve just found a way to finance their education and keep playing their sport. Generally they’re not entitled and decent to talk with; there are some general traits for each sport.

My favorite are the wrestlers. It’s like taking a bunch of surfers who spent the summer working at a funeral home and shooting them up with horse tranquilizers. They’re probably just hungry.

Regarding baseball as the “thinking man’s game,” there’s plenty of strategy and a certain kind of thinking in any sport played at a high level. I always figured that baseball got that moniker due to it being a quite a bit whiter than the big three sports at the top level. At least prior to NBA rules changes regarding the draft, MLB was clearly the least educated of the big three major league sports, yet culturally it was and still is considered the thinking game over the other two. I can’t imagine why.

• Rage+1 1

wow. the story of what went on between texas and oregon has got to be wild. was she a victim and taken unwillingly? did she try and “run away” with him to get away from his travis county warrants? so many questions. either way, i am surprised but relieved to hear that she’s been found safe and, at least on the surface, unharmed. i can’t imagine what that family has been going through wondering where she was and if she was alright. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, David Dennison said:

In fairness, you don't have to graduate to be an alumnus.

Also, did he not graduate?

I always forget (because it is so dumb) that we, as a society shifted from the traditional definition of an alumnus being an actual graduate of an institution to a participation ribbon definition that now includes someone who did a campus tour once. Thanks, Obama. 

no, he didn’t graduate. He was at Texas from 84-86 and, as his social media betrays, education is not a priority. 

• Hook 'Em 2