So, apparently Greg Swindell is a dumbshit

Bolero88

3 minutes ago, sidis said:

I always forget (because it is so dumb) that we, as a society shifted from the traditional definition of an alumnus being an actual graduate of an institution to a participation ribbon definition that now includes someone who did a campus tour once. Thanks, Obama. 

no, he didn’t graduate. He was at Texas from 84-86 and, as his social media betrays, education is not a priority. 

Well according to the Degree Verification link, he did take a class or two in 2004, and maybe previously.

SWINDELL, FOREST G.first semester Fall 1983 last semester Fall 2004

However, I know from personal experience that that last could mean nothing more than enrolled.  After graduating law school, I stayed in Austin to take the bar.  I enrolled for one summer class to get my Student ID validated so I could work out at Rec Sports.  I dropped it after getting my ID renewed.

Some weeks later, I got some kind of communication from the Registrar that my drop was ineffective because, as the only class I was enrolled in, I had to withdraw from the University.  That was weird.  And Degrees shows my last semester as the Summer, rather than Spring.

/csb

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Now so far, we have what appears to me to be a series of victimless crimes.

Hopefully the ringer didn't look empty. Used her dirty undies. Laundry, Dude. The whites.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In dealings with family members, most weird, highly dramatic events are almost always related to drug addiction. Drug addicts make bad decisions especially when law enforcement is involved. As in quickly leaving town with $20 in their pocket and zero credit cards.

Not that I'm even remotely accusing anyone in recent news stories of drug use. 

I do feel for anyone, especially parents, who have a drug addict in their lives. Very emotional and financial draining, and you have to deal with a loved one lying to you constantly. I watched my mom refuse to give a family member $100 for drugs (solid and right decision), but shelling out thousands for bail and lawyers a few days later. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

10 hours ago, Homesickhorn said:

I want to mention names, but I can’t. I personally know two dads who pulled their sons (pitchers) from playing high school ball their senior seasons, due to the boys’ select coaches and pitching “instructors” telling them to do so. I hope that you’re right, and that this is a rarity. But again, it just makes me shake my head.

This is odd and not common at all. The only thing that would justify it is if they were already committed to a D1 program and were healing their arm over the spring and a PO.

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well according to the Degree Verification link, he did take a class or two in 2004, and maybe previously.

SWINDELL, FOREST G.first semester Fall 1983 last semester Fall 2004

However, I know from personal experience that that last could mean nothing more than enrolled.  After graduating law school, I stayed in Austin to take the bar.  I enrolled for one summer class to get my Student ID validated so I could work out at Rec Sports.  I dropped it after getting my ID renewed.

Some weeks later, I got some kind of communication from the Registrar that my drop was ineffective because, as the only class I was enrolled in, I had to withdraw from the University.  That was weird.  And Degrees shows my last semester as the Summer, rather than Spring.

/csb

well, your political career is clearly over before it even started. hope the rec pass was worth it.

Edited by troph

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I’m sure many more OU players are Trumptards compared to you all, but both schools alums are way behind matched up vs most typical SEC fans.  Jesus these people are a beating.  Tried to check out SECrant and it’s mind boggling how many are openly  proud of the confederacy and all its glory.  And they’re serious.  There’s certainly many a fool here that will vote for Trump but it all pales in comparison.  Still fuck anyone voting for that POS regardless of their college allegiance.  

1 hour ago, troph said:

There’s a formerly vocal contingent here - myself included - that wanted nothing to do with the SEC for that reason. How it all went down is done and it’s clear with the west coast league vanishing that SEC was inevitable but fuck that conference all to hell for anything that resembles southern pride or whatever racist bullshit that’s going to turn up to 11 in that conference. No doubt we have our concerns about our own house, but gotdam they are next level. Ugh.

Joining Welcome Home GIF

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, CTC2 said:

Clear the family is going through some things. Hope Greg prioritize that over getting triggered by Democrats and rage tweeting. 

I’m sure well be seeing his posts about how democratic policies are responsible for his daughter’s situation shortly, 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

I’m sure many more OU players are Trumptards compared to you all, but both schools alums are way behind matched up vs most typical SEC fans.  Jesus these people are a beating.  Tried to check out SECrant and it’s mind boggling how many are openly  proud of the confederacy and all its glory.  And they’re serious.  There’s certainly many a fool here that will vote for Trump but it all pales in comparison.  Still fuck anyone voting for that POS regardless of their college allegiance.  

I could’ve warned you not to check their politics board. It’s arguably one of the most cringeworthy message boards on the interwebs.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Homesickhorn said:

I could’ve warned you not to check their politics board. It’s arguably one of the most cringeworthy message boards on the interwebs.

Last time I looked--which was like 4 years ago--there's a poster on there who, best that I could tell, starts a thread for every new Gateway Pundit article. And, at the time, all of the articles were basically, "Confirmed: Dems caught using dead people to cast votes." The same dozen or so posters would thank him for sharing, congratulate themselves for finally catching the libs red-handed, and start preparing for Trump's reinstatement. 

Nothing would come of the "news" (obviously), and it would fall to the bottom of the thread. Only for the next article to become the new hotness. No introspection whatsoever about why none of these stories had any legs. Not one person to tell that dude to stop posting that shit.

A truly fascinating study into the effects of propaganda on the human brain. They 100% seek out sources who will keep lying to them, and not even in clever or convincing ways.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

This is the football boards 😂

I've only seen their football board and it's bad. I can't imagine what their political board is like.

That place is the worst.

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, Homesickhorn said:

probably a fucking portal to the darkweb. I wouldn't consider clicking on their politics board for anything.

10 hours ago, troph said:

There’s a formerly vocal contingent here - myself included - that wanted nothing to do with the SEC for that reason. How it all went down is done and it’s clear with the west coast league vanishing that SEC was inevitable but fuck that conference all to hell for anything that resembles southern pride or whatever racist bullshit that’s going to turn up to 11 in that conference. No doubt we have our concerns about our own house, but gotdam they are next level. Ugh.

Yes. UT does not fit well into the culture of the SEC. 

SEC schools look to have a large following of local/statewide fans who fit the category of tshirt fans. Even they couldn't meet the relatively low academic standards and/or pay the cheap tuition.  Plus many of these schools have a very high percentage of out of state students. Ole Miss is close to 60% out of state whereas UT is <10%. Out of state students are not going to Ole Miss because of the academics. They're attracted to the Ole Miss student life and how they fit into that culture. 

It's no surprise that some of these schools become an echo chamber of racist and bigoted beliefs. They're only repeating what they grew up hearing from their parents and from their fellow students. I would bet that many parents would never let their kids attend these schools.

Obviously I'm not talking about each school and each student but rather the average.

SEC schools are out of the question for my kids. As are OU and A&M. It’s UT, Big 10 (including Oregon and Washington) and ACC with some CA system and privates thrown in to consider.

4 minutes ago, troph said:

SEC schools are out of the question for my kids. As are OU and A&M. It’s UT, Big 10 (including Oregon and Washington) and ACC with some CA system and privates thrown in to consider.

That's the right idea. If you put your kids into situations surrounded by people with bad ideas, there is little chance some of those ideas won't rub off on your kid. We're all often a product of our environment. Send a kid to _____ University don't be surprised when they come home talking like the average student.

29 minutes ago, troph said:

Unfortunately UT is increasingly under Abbott’s thumb these days. I’m afraid it’s only a matter of time that Texas has more in common with its SEC brethren.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

36 minutes ago, troph said:

That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard

4 minutes ago, royiv said:

Unfortunately UT is increasingly under Abbott’s thumb these days. I’m afraid it’s only a matter of time that Texas has more in common with its SEC brethren.

I'm an optimist and I choose to believe that as an institution we still take academics more seriously. And everything goes in phases and Abbott and his ilk's time will pass as well.  Also being back on campus for grad school gives me heart to see how much some of the professors care/love teaching enriching the student's perspectives and lives. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, G650 said:

Why? If she and her children have the ability and funds to attend school at those institutions, more power to them. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Just now, YChang said:

Why? If she and her children have the ability and funds to attend school at those institutions, more power to them. 

Because telling your child where they are and are not allowed to further their education is idiotic.

• Hook 'Em 2

41 minutes ago, troph said:

SEC schools are out of the question for my kids. As are OU and A&M and It’s UT. It’s Big 10 (including Oregon and Washington) and ACC with some CA system and privates thrown in to consider.

FIFM. At this point, fuck UT. Dead serious. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, G650 said:

Because telling your child where they are and are not allowed to further their education is idiotic.

I get that. Hell, my parents were flat out a NO when I told them I wanted to go to Parsons to study art, lol. It's not like there's isn't a wealth of choices of schools from that list. But we don't know troph's family, maybe their value aligns in a certain way that it all fits and doesn't take away from the kid's autonomy. <shrug>

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, troph said:

How it all went down is done and it’s clear with the west coast league vanishing that SEC was inevitable 

Actually, I wonder if the Pac-12 would have disintegrated had UT, OU and A&M joined.  (Was TTech #4?)

On 8/25/2024 at 10:30 PM, Ghost of LL said:

For the record, I said baseball attracts assholes.

It’s hockey that attracts morons.

I say this as a former baseball and hockey player.

IMG_0620.gif

IMG_9374.gif

2 hours ago, royiv said:

my kids likely won't get in but it's number one on the list because of proximity and cost.

2 hours ago, G650 said:

I feel it is well within the parents' discretion, at minimum, to have some input on where their children further their education if they are the ones stroking the checks.  Or at least overriding a terrible choice.

• Hook 'Em 8

2 hours ago, G650 said:

wut? My kids education will not be negatively impacted by saying Arkansas, Ole Miss, OU and A&M are not on the list but Washington, UC system schools, Michigan, UNC, Virginia, Texas, a handful of private schools, and a few others are. UT Dallas and UT San Antonio are also on their radar for transferring into UT Austin.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, YChang said:

I get that. Hell, my parents were flat out a NO when I told them I wanted to go to Parsons to study art, lol. It's not like there's isn't a wealth of choices of schools from that list. But we don't know troph's family, maybe their value aligns in a certain way that it all fits and doesn't take away from the kid's autonomy. <shrug>

we are a turn it up to 11 queer family that rolls in polite society with no problems. I'm not sending my kids to college in the deep south though. sorry, ain't happening.

• Hook 'Em 7

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Eh I never had to say it because they were never interested but I would have told my daughters no if they asked about Baylor. 

same, my kids loathe white racist, homophobic, transphobic culture. they want to go to the west coast.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Native Horn said:

I feel it is well within the parents' discretion, at minimum, to have some input on where their children further their education if they are the ones stroking the checks.  Or at least overriding a terrible choice.

Yeah the only school I prohibited my kids from applying to was aggy.  Kidding but neither of them applied anyway.  My daughter at least applied and was accepted to UT but noped out.  My son didn’t even apply.  My family’s run at Texas is over for at least a generation.  My wife still writes checks to UT but I don’t.  

1 minute ago, troph said:

same, my kids loathe white racist, homophobic, transphobic culture. they want to go to the west coast.

The funny thing is I’m in a fairly conservative town, my neighbors on one side are a pair of old ladies who may or may not be married but they are awesome.  No one gives one shit about it here.  It’s great.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Native Horn said:

That is a fine position, but the kid can easily say fuck you I'm doing it myself.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

Yeah the only school I prohibited my kids from applying to was aggy.  Kidding but neither of them applied anyway.  My daughter at least applied and was accepted to UT but noped out.  My son didn’t even apply.  My family’s run at Texas is over for at least a generation.  My wife still writes checks to UT but I don’t.  

Yeah, I'm down with this... if my kids want to go to school with kissin cousins in Arkie or dentally challenged students at OU, I can cope... its a hard no on aggy.  Too weird.

2 minutes ago, G650 said:

That is a fine position, but the kid can easily say fuck you I'm doing it myself.

LoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooL

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, G650 said:

Not nearly as easily as 30 years ago. 

I'm not sure I would set hard limits on where my kids could go. But I might apply gentle pressure as my mother did when aggy was on my list: do you really want to deal with being an aggy all your life? No, Mom, you are right thanks for the reminder. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, G650 said:

I mean, you can laugh I guess. I've told my parents to go fuck themselves on multiple occasions though.

So you went and paid for your college education using similar numbers to today?  If so, more power to you.

Edited by texasdago

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

Not nearly as easily as 30 years ago. 

I'm not sure I would set hard limits on where my kids could go. But I might apply gentle pressure as my mother did when aggy was on my list: do you really want to deal with being an aggy all your life? No, Mom, you are right thanks for the reminder. 

Sure, I'll definitely give my son advice. But ever saying you can't go to whatever school? Hell no, that's fucking psychotic.

• Like 1