So, apparently Greg Swindell is a dumbshit

Bolero88

On 8/29/2024 at 10:35 AM, G650 said:

Because telling your child where they are and are not allowed to further their education is idiotic.

What you fail to see here, is that you can’t “further your education” at EVERY school. If I’m paying, I absolutely get a vote. If I’m not paying, I’m still going to heavily influence, but at that point I agree I’d have to let them make their own decision. 

These are the threads I point to when DT posters say the cloak room is too woke or liberal. This thread devolved into some major my money my say when it comes to my kids college choices. That’s some old school conservative thinking, even when it’s under the guise of making them make liberal choices in school choosing.  If you have a child who wants to go to a school you don’t agree with, it doesn’t mean they are going to turn into the stereotype you have of that school. Except for aggy of course, @aggie08 being the exception that proves the rule.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Covri said:

These are the threads I point to when DT posters say the cloak room is too woke or liberal. This thread devolved into some major my money my say when it comes to my kids college choices. That’s some old school conservative thinking, even when it’s under the guise of making them make liberal choices in school choosing.  If you have a child who wants to go to a school you don’t agree with, it doesn’t mean they are going to turn into the stereotype you have of that school. Except for aggy of course, @aggie08 being the exception that proves the rule.

Nuance on message boards can be hard to communicate. I’m one of those that could be accused of this. I personally have a strong aversion to the south. But to be perfectly honest my sons haven’t mentioned a single school in a red state except Texas. So I’m actually not telling them no to anything. And as previously said to clarify if my son came to me and said arky or ole miss was his dream or back up preference school, I would do a lot of listening and I would make him state his case. Then I would make him defend it. If he made it through that - which is not guaranteed - I’d probably say ok because that’s how I parent, but I’d not like it and then come around and end up with a god damned ole miss sticker on my car. But again, they have zero interest.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, G650 said:

Yeah, I'm one of them. Oregon is the most beautiful state, 4 days out of the year

It’s funny that this thread went full circle and back to Oregon. The area around Klamath Falls(where these dipshits were found), Chiloquin, Grants Pass are some of my favorite in the States. The culture there is kind of fucked up, so I’m not shocked that this is where these people were caught. 

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

23 hours ago, troph said:

Oregon is on his short list.

23 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

a friend's kid just started in eugene as well.  expensive af out of state, no?

UO is less selective than aggy. Something to think about when you’re stroking a big ass check for out of state tuition. On the plus side, if you’re a straight dude there are a lot of hot California girls that couldn’t get into the the California state schools, but they can fog a mirror so they end up in Eugene.

3 minutes ago, royiv said:

UO is less selective than aggy. Something to think about when you’re stroking a big ass check for out of state tuition. On the plus side, if you’re a straight dude there are a lot of hot California girls that couldn’t get into the the California state schools, but they can fog a mirror so they end up in Eugene.

UW is higher, Reed College is on his list too (Portland). Cal is his reach. He added Michigan and I’m asking him to broaden his list. I’ve asked him to look at other CA system schools. At this point I think Oregon may be a safety choice. But he thinks he wants to live in those parts so he’s concentrating his choices there. I’ve asked him to look at the east coast too.  It’s all prelim we haven’t taken one single visit. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, troph said:

UW is higher, Reed College is on his list too (Portland). Cal is his reach. He added Michigan and I’m asking him to broaden his list. I’ve asked him to look at other CA system schools. At this point I think Oregon may be a safety choice. But he thinks he wants to live in those parts so he’s concentrating his choices there. I’ve asked him to look at the east coast too.  It’s all prelim we haven’t taken one single visit. 

I can vouch for UCSB.

San Luis Obispo would be my number 2

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, chainsaw said:

UCSB is just about UT in terms of academic eliteness with UT being slightly better in some fields and UCSB being slightly better in others

So with that choice I have to ask where’s he going from there, no where to go but down… but yeah UCSB would be lit. He’s a Santa Barbara kinda kid too (actually in many ways that can be construed).

Edited by troph

Just now, troph said:

So with that choice I have to ask where’s he going from there, no where to go but down… but yeah UCSB would be lit.

For me, the elite college sports would pull me toward UT vs UCSB, but maybe not in the age of Abbott and Hartzell. Also, no beach.

For me, the elite college sports would pull me toward UT vs UCSB, but maybe not in the age of Abbott and Hartzell. Also, no beach.

He actually wants to march in the Texas band. So yeah it’s a big draw.

• Hook 'Em 1

They're very evenly matched but this could be a deciding factor

He’s not top 6-7% even though his unweighted GPA is legit (his extra curricular is unbeatable though) so CAP is a factor too. 

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

The entire UC system is worth looking at.  Stellar schools.  Cost?  Well . . . 

One thing I did was avail myself to the great city college system California has, you can transfer damn near any 100 or 200 level work to the University. Saves a lot of cash.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, troph said:

He’s not top 6-7% even though his unweighted GPA is legit (his extra curricular is unbeatable though) so CAP is a factor too. 

If he's a cis white heterosexual male maybe he can apply as reverse DEI.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, G650 said:

One thing I did was avail myself to the great city college system California has, you can transfer damn near any 100 or 200 level work to the University. Saves a lot of cash.

he’s going to show up with 18 -21 hours I think (some AP others UT onramp classes / not sure if CA will take onramp credits). And yes he will grab some summer school on the cheap.

12 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

If he's a cis white heterosexual male maybe he can apply as reverse DEI.

If you don’t think we are leading with he’s in a queer family for his essay, then you don’t know me well. 

Edited by troph
  • Haha 3

Also, unless there is some specific career path that would be assisted by it, choosing a school mainly on inane and esoteric academic rankings is silly. All of the major schools are about the same. The differences lie in specializations and specific professors.

1 minute ago, troph said:

he’s going to show up with 18 -21 hours I think. And yes he will grab some summer school on the cheap.

Smart way to do it for sure.

3 minutes ago, G650 said:

Also, unless there is some specific career path that would be assisted by it, choosing a school mainly on inane and esoteric academic rankings is silly.

Well, the rankings tend to have flaws, so in that sense I agree.  "Reputation" can matter, especially at the undergrad level, whereas I agree with your focused approach in grad school without question.

2 minutes ago, G650 said:

Also, unless there is some specific career path that would be assisted by it, choosing a school mainly on inane and esoteric academic rankings is silly. All of the major schools are about the same. The differences lie in specializations and specific professors.

Solid reputation / diploma eyeball test

General location for job prospects (who and from where recruits there)

Campus / surrounding area enjoyment

Talent level 

sports experience 

cost 

9 minutes ago, G650 said:

Hoping for one year of credits, half a year of summer school / community college credits, two and a half years we can pay out of pocket or borrow the delta, then pay it off for him quickly. Then living expenses out of pocket.  Same for his younger brother. Going be an heavy lift for sure. All I ask for is a sweatshirt and an invite to a couple of sports events. 

Edited by troph

8 minutes ago, troph said:

Plan II doesn’t fall under the top x% rule

I’m not sure if fine arts does but is he’s good enough for the marching band he should consider applying for FA and doing a double major. Engineering, CS, and McCombs would be out but any CLA and most CNS majors should be available 

From kids of friends who weren’t top 6% and got in:

Education

Economics - apparently you can take a bunch of business courses even though chances of transferring into McCombs are slim and none

Communications

Architecture 

• Drool 1

3 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

I’m not sure if fine arts does but is he’s good enough for the marching band he should consider applying for FA and doing a double major. Engineering, CS, and McCombs would be out but any CLA and most CNS majors should be available 

From kids of friends who weren’t top 6% and got in:

Education

Economics - apparently you can take a bunch of business courses even though chances of transferring into McCombs are slim and none

Communications

Architecture 

This is great info. I don’t think marching band requires a music major does it?

We are going to go talk to UT when band season is over then blitz visit his schools. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, troph said:

Solid reputation / diploma eyeball test

General location for job prospects (who and from where recruits there)

Campus / surrounding area enjoyment

Talent level 

sports experience 

cost 

Yeah, numbers 3 and 4 were pretty much my only criteria when I was looking. 6 obviously had a bearing though.

Number 1 is important, but kind of what I am getting at is any legitimate accredited school is going to be fine without extenuating circumstances. In our work on the board here, we go through a lot of depth of detail of all facets of higher learning, where it's at, where it's going, etc... We are a private school, so much more focus in peer institutions, but realy across the board, academic wise you can succeed anywhere. The biggest differentiation between schools is usually administrative, finances and such. Which certainly matter, but you have to look at different metrics to really get a feel for that.

I also believe undergrad college should have next to nothing to do with one's career, but that's a whole nother conversation

1 minute ago, troph said:

This is great info. I don’t think marching band requires a music major does it?

We are going to go talk to UT when band season is over then blitz visit his schools. 

I don’t think so but you have to audition for college of fine arts so I figure if you’re good enough to make the marching band you’re probably good enough to get accepted for a FA major. 
l never thought of this but do they hold spots for marching band members like they do for athletes?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Sawbonz said:

I don’t think so but you have to audition for college of fine arts so I figure if you’re good enough to make the marching band you’re probably good enough to get accepted for a FA major. 
l never thought of this but do they hold spots for marching band members like they do for athletes?

I’ve heard different things about marching band getting any tie goes to the marcher kinda a benefit. 

9 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

I’m not sure if fine arts does but is he’s good enough for the marching band he should consider applying for FA and doing a double major.

Fine arts doesn't have those limitations.  My daughter got an offer from the School Of Music, and the percussion prof even said he'd make sure she could transfer into Psych (her preferred major).  FA is more like sports.  Talent is what matters.  She was close to top 6% but did the CAP route.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, G650 said:

Yeah, numbers 3 and 4 were pretty much my only criteria when I was looking. 6 obviously had a bearing though.

Number 1 is important, but kind of what I am getting at is any legitimate accredited school is going to be fine without extenuating circumstances. In our work on the board here, we go through a lot of depth of detail of all facets of higher learning, where it's at, where it's going, etc... We are a private school, so much more focus in peer institutions, but realy across the board, academic wise you can succeed anywhere. The biggest differentiation between schools is usually administrative, finances and such. Which certainly matter, but you have to look at different metrics to really get a feel for that.

I also believe undergrad college should have next to nothing to do with one's career, but that's a whole nother conversation

We actually see it the same way on most of this I think. If you go to a solid rep school, you like the area (all the reasons including maybe living around there post college), there are good looking women and solid Mrs prospects (all the reasons) then it’s a good choice. And on major I tend to agree, though I’ve told my boys they can be an FA major, architecture major, a chemistry major or whatever but I do prefer they take enough business classes to have learned something about it. 

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

Fine arts doesn't have those limitations.  My daughter got an offer from the School Of Music, and the percussion prof even said he'd make sure she could transfer into Psych (her preferred major).  FA is more like sports.  Talent is what matters.  She was close to top 6% but did the CAP route.

Good to know because my youngest daughter would probably get in for dance but does not want to pursue it as a major. 

Also I’m not positive but I don’t think the regular Liberal Arts Honors program requires top 6 either. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Covri said:

As someone with first-hand experience at "one of those schools," this is correct. College is what you make of it. I trust my kids to find the right friend groups and challenge their preconceived ideologies. Even at A&M, the people who want to wear overalls and whoop in public were going to be followers wherever they went. No one forced their brainwashing. The student body in College Station pretty reliably leans blue. There's diversity in thought and perspectives at all colleges. Parents, your neighbors, and Texas as a whole are a whole lot more guilty of making them susceptive to cults and stupidly like MAGA than the school itself.

Now, there are other declining academics reasons that I'd try to steer my kids away from A&M if they showed interest (unlikely), but it has very little to do with fear of them getting indoctrinated.

• Hook 'Em 1

Has there been any new information on the "kidnapping" story?

Greg is driving a Kia Carnival back from Oregon right now. Might be able to pull over at the Flying J in Pampa to catch part of the game over a plate of meatloaf in the cafe.

2 hours ago, royiv said:

Greg is driving a Kia Carnival back from Oregon right now. Might be able to pull over at the Flying J in Pampa to catch part of the game over a plate of meatloaf in the cafe.

He seems more of a "free meal at the Big Texan" kind of guy.

• Drool 1