Washing Machine Built Like a Tank?

After a mere 29 years, our toploader washer has burnt out, seized up, thrashed on the ground, died.

My job in the family is to research new ones, but fuck that, I figured I'd hang out on Surly instead.

We are looking for sturdy, simple, reliable, if such exists in this world of child-labor. 2 people, so bulk washing marathons are unlikely.

I personally like the idea of a bucket and a stick, but that would have me sleeping under the deck.

55 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Woman says she read that Speed Queen will eat your clothes. Any experience with that?

Best to buy their commercial line if you can find a store that sells them. The ones that go in laundromats, but without the pay function. Or with, I guess. 

• Drool 1

We got fed up with 3 consecutive front loaders that couldn't make it a decade, so we bought a top loading Maytag.
It's also a piece of shit.

I’ve got a Maytag front loader that’s in its 10th year , hopefully it doesn’t jinx it
  • Drool 1

9 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

LG is just total dogshit.  Across the board. 

Our first one didn't last 8 years.  I was dead set against another one.  But there was a top end floor model with the control set in the door for $600.  I rolled the dice, and it has been rock solid for years now (no jinx).  The dryer, which outlasted the original washer, still is going strong well over a decade now (again, no jinx).  We've got two teenage boys and run the machines constantly.

• Drool 1

Posted (edited)

We have the Speed Queen front load washer.  Bought it after our old Maytag finally died in unrepairable fashion, after multiple repairmen told us to keep fixing it and not replace it because it was better than anything else available.  Everyone I talked to suggested Speed Queen.  Had it for a few years (family of 4), no issues at all.

EDIT:  Dryer went out around the same time, and chose NOT to get the matching Speed Queen because it is actualy more expensive than the washer.  Ridiculous.  Got something cheap and if I have to replace it two more times over the life of the washer I'll still be better off financially.  Wife was not gruntled over the look of a mis-matching set.  She got over it.

Edited by SurlyGator
  • Drool 1

We went through Samsung, LG, and Maytag in about 15 years.  Had the best luck of those 3 with Samsung.

Ended up with Electrolux when the Maytags shit the bed during the great appliance shortage.  They were expensive and came from a local dealer not a box store, but have been great for the last 3 years.  Not a huge timeline, but haven't had any issues yet.  **knocks wood

• Drool 1

Electrolux is Frigidaire. I wonder how many components they share. 

Same with Maytag being under whirlpool along with kitchenaid, jennair, amana, and hotpoint.  

haier owns GE appliances now too. 

Are they really using such different parts across lines to account for the price difference?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Electrolux is Frigidaire.

It looks like its actually Frigidaire is Electrolux.

I did ZERO research as it was pretty much take it or leave it being directly in the middle of shortages.  They cost more than I really wanted to pay, but I appear to have lucked into quality.  Again a bit low on run time, but they clean and dry really well and have had no hiccups.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

It looks like its actually Frigidaire is Electrolux

As far as corporate org chart, yeah. I just don’t know that it makes a difference, as I assume inventory harmonization would take place regardless, and generally for the cheaper part. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

4 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Changing a water pump is easy and cheap. 

Definitely a bad pump issue. Draining this thing is impossible without total chaos or ingenuity. Good thing I am an agent of chaos and ingenuity.

Solution, pinch the drain pipe between two 1x's and a clamp, then stick it into a shop vac. Have plenty of towels. There will still be leaks.  Worked like a champ. Waiting for the pump delivery from Amazon. 

I really can't spend more money this month after paying for 2 kids select baseball, yearly home and auto insurance and a 20x20 concrete pad and metal cover at the ranch. I am not 1%. Thank God I can fix this for 50 bucks. 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

Definitely a bad pump issue. Draining this thing is impossible without total chaos or ingenuity. Good thing I am an agent of chaos and ingenuity.

Solution, pinch the drain pipe between two 1x's and a clamp, then stick it into a shop vac. Have plenty of towels. There will still be leaks.  Worked like a champ. Waiting for the pump delivery from Amazon. 

I really can't spend more money this month after paying for 2 kids select baseball, yearly home and auto insurance and a 20x20 concrete pad and metal cover at the ranch. I am not 1%. Thank God I can fix this for 50 bucks. 

I cyphoned with a garden hose. But at the time, my washer was in the garage so it was easy to get the water outside. That got everything out to the bottom of the drum and made it light enough to move. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

If it's an Amazon part, you will be doing it again in a matter of months. Got burned so many times by fake parts from them on cars, dishwasher and even stove late last year.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

41 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:
18 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

If it's an Amazon part, you will be doing it again in a matter of months. Got burned so many times by fake parts from them on cars, dishwasher and even stove late last year.

Very much this. Amazon has become a cesspool of counterfeit shit over the last few years.

1 hour ago, Mother mopar said:
18 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

seconded.

I've given up on Amazon for parts.  So much bad information on parts fit/cross reference.  There was a golden period of like 15-19 that was so awesome.  In hindsight its not surprising that sending $15 parts cross the country in 2 days wasn't sustainable.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Mother mopar said:
On 8/22/2024 at 5:08 PM, HOOKEM4 said:

10 hours ago, royiv said:

Very much this. Amazon has become a cesspool of counterfeit shit over the last few years.

9 hours ago, Incredulity said:

seconded.

I've given up on Amazon for parts.  So much bad information on parts fit/cross reference.  There was a golden period of like 15-19 that was so awesome.  In hindsight its not surprising that sending $15 parts cross the country in 2 days wasn't sustainable.

We will see. It was the same part number from Samsung and looked identical to the original when I held them next to each other.  Printed numbers,  fasteners and all.  I will report back if it fails immediately. 2 cycles done since I fixed it.

I will say there were several offers at half the price but they seemed off in the listing so I went with the more expensive version.

We will see. It was the same part number from Samsung and looked identical to the original when I held them next to each other.  Printed numbers,  fasteners and all.  I will report back if it fails immediately. 2 cycles done since I fixed it.

I will say there were several offers at half the price but they seemed off in the listing so I went with the more expensive version.
I work on enough mechanical stuff, it will fail and it will be at the most inopportune time. Murphys law and what not.

27 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:
12 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

I work on enough mechanical stuff, it will fail and it will be at the most inopportune time. Murphys law and what not.

We know, because you have mopar in your handle. 

12 hours ago, Mother mopar said:
On 8/23/2024 at 9:33 PM, HOOKEM4 said:

Rooting for my shit to fail? What is the solution then? Enlighten me.

I replaced the heater in a Samsung dryer three times with Amazon parts. Same part number, looked exactly alike, etc. all three failed in a month or so. Finally bought the Samsung part on Parts Direct (I think) and it's lasted almost two years now.

32 minutes ago, Paco said:
1 hour ago, HOOKEM4 said:

I replaced the heater in a Samsung dryer three times with Amazon parts. Same part number, looked exactly alike, etc. all three failed in a month or so. Finally bought the Samsung part on Parts Direct (I think) and it's lasted almost two years now.

Not a faulty part situation but I had a dryer have an issue with the electrical relay from the thermocouple, so it didn’t moderate its heat. If left on too long, it would overheat until the thermal fuse melted and killed power to the heater. I didn’t want to deal with it or pay for a $200 wiring harness and rewire the whole damn thing, so I bought a 5 pack of thermal fuses for like $10 on Amazon and if we accidentally melted one I’d just replace it.  

Sold that house with all appliances and I couldn’t leave that for the new owner, so that’s when I bought a new one. 

FML.  Our Kenmore  dryer started making serious noise.  I bought a roller kit from Amazon for 40 bucks, and it included a belt and idler pulley.

I spent a few hours this morning taking the fucker apart, cleaning it thoroughly, installing the new parts, and re-assembly.   I must have taken out 75 screws.  I put 71 screws back in.  4 left over.  But it's as quiet as a church mouse now. 

One of the rollers seemed to spin OK, but there are two big flat spots on the wheel, so it was seizing up for sure.  Maybe when it got hot? 

On 8/22/2024 at 10:31 AM, Gene Parmesan said:

Get something with minimum settings.  Much like everything else it's probably something in the electronics that is going to have issues rather than a mechanical component.

all of this

• Hook 'Em 2

Mrs. Canecutter has ignored all Wisdom of the Tribe, and has her heart set on some sort of LG dryer-stacked-on-top-of-washer creation.

I am reduced to brute labor shoveling a small mud slide away from the basement door we don't use but that the washers will move through. Guess I need a dolly or a burro or Pyramid builders or whatever.

Here's my LG experience, chronicled here (or TOS) at the time:

LG washer takes a shit.  I know, based on the symptoms, that it's the motor.  There's a "10 year Warranty on Direct Drive Motor) sticker on the front of the fucking washer.   So, I call LG.  "Hey, this washer's busted and I think it's the motor".  

OK, we'll come out...our fee is $240.00 

OK, but if the motor is bad, is covered under warranty and there's no charge, right?

We will repair the unit.  The fee is $240.00 

Yeah, but the motor is still under warranty, so it's covered at no charge, isn't it?

We charge $240 to come out, regardless of what is wrong with the unit