Washing Machine Built Like a Tank?

1 minute ago, Gil Bang said:

Here's my LG experience, chronicled here (or TOS) at the time:

LG washer takes a shit.  I know, based on the symptoms, that it's the motor.  There's a "10 year Warranty on Direct Drive Motor) sticker on the front of the fucking washer.   So, I call LG.  "Hey, this washer's busted and I think it's the motor".  

OK, we'll come out...our fee is $240.00 

OK, but if the motor is bad, is covered under warranty and there's no charge, right?

We will repair the unit.  The fee is $240.00 

Yeah, but the motor is still under warranty, so it's covered at no charge, isn't it?

We charge $240 to come out, regardless of what is wrong with the unit

Same experience- 2 years after purchase. 

I told them fuck off, tossed the fucker, and bought a new machine from Lowes.  I bought the Lowe's extended warranty, and when you do that, you call Lowe's directly, even if it's still under manufacturers warranty.   

I had a minor problem, called Lowes, and the next day a tech showed up, made the minor repair, and left, no charge.

The repair?  A small air-pressure hose had come loose from the switch, because the GF had washed a heavy blanket, and the hose was zip-tied to the chassis.  It came loose when the machine was shaking.   The tech clipped the zip tie, reconnected the hose, and promised that now the the hose can "float" it wouldn't happen again, and it hasn't. 

On 8/20/2024 at 4:29 PM, RDCanecutter said:

After a mere 29 years, our toploader washer has burnt out, seized up, thrashed on the ground, died.

My job in the family is to research new ones, but fuck that, I figured I'd hang out on Surly instead.

We are looking for sturdy, simple, reliable, if such exists in this world of child-labor. 2 people, so bulk washing marathons are unlikely.

I personally like the idea of a bucket and a stick, but that would have me sleeping under the deck.

Just two of you?  Go Whirlpool.  Get nothing fancier than the functions you desire.  Simple.

• Drool 1

On 8/21/2024 at 12:26 AM, jimmyjazz said:

We got fed up with 3 consecutive front loaders that couldn't make it a decade, so we bought a top loading Maytag.

It's also a piece of shit.

Today's update:  the top-loading Maytag washer just shit the bed again last night.  Fortunately for us, the warranty doesn't expire until Thursday, so we'll be able to get it "fixed" and survive another few months (fingers crossed).

• Rage+1 1

On 9/2/2024 at 5:10 PM, Snake Diggity said:

We bought some LG shit (washer, dishwasher, fridge) 2 years ago during our remodel.  The “craft” ice maker went out last month.  Y’all got me tripping now reading the litany of complaints.

I’m not a fan of LG but we are on year 11 or 12 without any issues.  I’m hoping it lives for a good while longer as we are making a step up to a subZ when this one dies.  

• Hook 'Em 1

We have a second fridge someone gave us that is an LG. It is a POS in its old age. Bottom drawer freezer wont seal well and constantly needs to have ice chipped out of the bottom. Water dispenser doesn't work (ice maker/dispenser still works for some damn reason) and it randomly decides to change its temperature and wont allow you to change it back. You have to unplug it for a few minutes, then you can adjust the temp again.   I will say, everything else has worked well and we are probably at around 12 years on the thing. Still a long cry from my og refrigerator growing up. The thing lived in a hot garage for 35 years or so.

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I’m not a fan of LG but we are on year 11 or 12 without any issues.  I’m hoping it lives for a good while longer as we are making a step up to a subZ when this one dies.  

One cool thing that happened (or might happen) is that I might get the ice maker replaced for free.  Turns out there was a class action lawsuit against LG for those craft ice makers breaking so often.  There’s a site where you just enter your serial number and model number and they send someone out to replace it free of charge.  The site is difficult to find (I found it in a Reddit thread on the topic) but shockingly within 10 minutes of entering my info I had an email confirming an appointment for this week.  If it actually gets fixed for free I will be very happy, as I was quoted $500 to replace it by the repair man.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

Still a long cry from my og refrigerator growing up. The thing lived in a hot garage for 35 years or so.

My garage fridge is an older base model type I got for $50 when someone was moving.  I really, really want something that looks nicer, but my neighbor has cycled thru several newer fridges in his garage.  The fancier looking it is, the shorter it seems to last in that environment.