What’s behind this brick? (Need to put electrical socket)

So, I’ve had this tv (in photo) on our backyard patio awhile, but as you can see, the only outlet is near the ground. I’ve put a socket for a tv in diff rooms, but NEVER tried to do it on brick. Thought I’d ask the pros here. YouTube is good, but, I didn’t see a wall exactly like this. Saw a fireplace, etc etc. behind this wall (tv wall) is our bedroom. Drywall on our bed room wall. I’ll prob get romex, splice and add another near tv, but unsure how to cut/do that part. Can I run Romex behind brick? I’m an idiot when it comes

To this. Thanks!

716480fe82a70035a538f6ad7411ce17.jpg

5f79c247496e6ff9d64a38148199a931.jpg

Posted (edited)

The drywall is fastened to the inside of the studs. The outside of the studs should have some kind of house wrap, like Tyvek.  There should be a 1 1/2-inch air gap between the brick and the wrap, with brick ties fastening the brick to the studs.  I doubt the electrical code would allow you to run Romax behind the brick.  I'm neither an electrician nor a builder, but I did frame houses in Houston during the summers in high school.

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper

50 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

The drywall is fastened to the inside of the studs. The outside of the studs should have some kind of house wrap, like Tyvek.  There should be a 1 1/2-inch air gap between the brick and the wrap, with brick ties fastening the brick to the studs.  I doubt the electrical code would allow you to run Romax behind the brick.  I'm neither an electrician nor a builder, but I did frame houses in Houston during the summers in high school.

Exactly as NMAS said:

image.thumb.png.65e69e489dc2a70060c2553748600923.png

Patching or replacing drywall is easy; replacing chipped/cracked exterior bricks seems quite a bit harder.  

If it was me, I think I'd put the power line in a (metal or plastic) conduit mounted to the brick.  Not as nice as a hidden cable, but a step cleaner than a dangling power cable.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I would buy a new house. One with an acceptable outdoor partying setup. Also, let's get a bigger TV. Can't see shit on that thing.

Serious answer, who cares about the cords? The wife? If you try to run romex behind the brick, it won't be to code and it will be a nutroll. Not to mention repairing/sealing the brick. Hire someone or deal with the cords.  But please buy a giant TV and tell your wife it is needed bc you can't see good no how.

3 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

open up the drywall.  Get a masonry bit.  Run EMT through the brick and install a surface box behind the TV. 

This.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

I would buy a new house. One with an acceptable outdoor partying setup. Also, let's get a bigger TV. Can't see shit on that thing.

Serious answer, who cares about the cords? The wife? If you try to run romex behind the brick, it won't be to code and it will be a nutroll. Not to mention repairing/sealing the brick. Hire someone or deal with the cords.  But please buy a giant TV and tell your wife it is needed bc you can't see good no how.

This.

haha. That TV was the designated "outdoor tv" because it is old as shit. We put another one out there before but it, even though the patio is covered, did not make it. That ol bird was been through thick and thin! Plus, I have our "game room" that has two 50-inch tvs side x side to watch/play xbox on. :) That was an upgrade after using a 32-inch smart tv that I moved all over the house or into the living room to watch college football. ANYWAY, eh, I kind of care about the cords. I've done all of our tvs on the inside, so thought, why not here?!?

Use a hammer drill or you’ll be there all day.
Not at all.  Go through the mortar joint or you will either crack the brick as [mention=1111]Gil Bang[/mention] said or even worse, dislodge an entire brick (or two).
My question would ild be the (small) possibility of some wiring on the other side of this specific location.
Typically you will have receptacles set max 18" up from the floor & switches @ 48".
In Texas, ceiling fans & can lights will be wired down from the attic however (as noted) you need the controls on the wall @ 48" & there is always a possibility something was run horizontally... ¿Why?  Who knows.

6 hours ago, luke duke said:

Who doesn’t go through the mortar?

Who joins the aggy CofC if they aren't going to actually accept a commission & join the military?

Why does an athletic program & mascot identity that celebrates the theft of Native American land actually have a law program offering a Master's degree for Indigenous People's Studies?

IANAE, but I fished a new Romex from existing patio outlet up into the attic, down the wall from the attic to my TV and cut out a piece of brick that was the size of the box. Don't know the term for the wood header in the attic but I had to drill two new holes down through the wood at the top of the wall. It was really tight in the attic that close to the end of the roof and it was a pita, but you don't want exposed conduit.

40 minutes ago, woohorn said:

IANAE, but I fished a new Romex from existing patio outlet up into the attic, down the wall from the attic to my TV and cut out a piece of brick that was the size of the box. Don't know the term for the wood header in the attic but I had to drill two new holes down through the wood at the top of the wall. It was really tight in the attic that close to the end of the roof and it was a pita, but you don't want exposed conduit.

"top plate"

• Like 2

The simplest solution I can think of would be to ignore the wiring, and replace the TV with a large painting of some favorite moment in sports. That feeling is what you're looking to recapture every time you watch a new game, and let's be honest, they usually disappoint. So go for a 100% chance of happiness with your favorite sports painting.

Maritime plywood oughta do the trick. I would not frame it or otherwise cover it, because june bugs will get up inside it, try to eat their way back out, then die.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RDCanecutter said:

The simplest solution I can think of would be to ignore the wiring, and replace the TV with a large painting of some favorite moment in sports. That feeling is what you're looking to recapture every time you watch a new game, and let's be honest, they usually disappoint. So go for a 100% chance of happiness with your favorite sports painting.

Maritime plywood oughta do the trick. I would not frame it or otherwise cover it, because june bugs will get up inside it, try to eat their way back out, then die.

GapKid.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1