2024 Transfer RB Velton Gardner

Machinator

• Machinator changed the title to 2024 Transfer RB Velton Gardner

I’m no Velton Gardner expert, but a few minutes of research seems to show he was a very productive but quite undersized QB at Skyline, was a fairly well regarded recruit under the “Athlete” category, picked Kansas where he actually worked his way to starting RB despite not great size. Leipold warmed up to Devin Neal (understandable) and Gardner saw the writing on the wall, left three games into the ‘21 season to preserve his redshirt, transferred to SMU where he wasn’t a star, but a contributor. Not a bruiser, so not a one-for-one Baxter swap size wise, but a guy with actual game experience in a power conference (more than anyone on our roster) and may be able to take a few carries and return some kicks. Good pick up at this point.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Stats from his final 2 years at SMU. With less than 10 days from the start of the season, beggars can't be choosers. He'll get game time even as our 4th string RB

image.thumb.png.3dfdc3a57747be7705362cb70299f0a4.png

He is small enough to sneak by some folks behind our massive line. More importantly he will take practice reps for the benefit of our line and LBs. Welcome to the 40 young man! Now make the most of it.

Edited by DanTheHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

If he can at least hold onto the ball and help slow down EDGE or LB pressure by .2 seconds, he'll prove useful. Both skills are needed when you're up 34-14 and trying to minimize wear and tear on the 2-deep. Glad to get someone like him at this juncture.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

For all of the fanboys of Savion Red, their prayers have been dutifully answered by Twelve Win Theven. This guy basically has his numbers but with more reps and he’s apparently not a burgeoning fat ass with anger issues. 

I never understood the love for Red. He's mediocre. Hell, he's not even the starter at fucking Nevada. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

For all of the fanboys of Savion Red, their prayers have been dutifully answered by Twelve Win Theven. This guy basically has his numbers but with more reps and he’s apparently not a burgeoning fat ass with anger issues. 

Does Velton Gardner play with a chip on his shoulder? Does he get the defense riled up during practice? Can we pencil him in as our short yardage and goal line back, having scored a grand total of one touchdown in his career? Is he the vibe?

Until we can answer all of these in the affirmative AND he becomes a burgeoning fat ass with anger issues, let's hold off on anointing him as the next Savion Red. Make the man earn his stripes.

Edited by Voluminous Banality
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, Voluminous Banality said:

Does Velton Gardner play with a chip on his shoulder? Does he get the defense riled up during practice? Can we pencil him in as our short yardage and goal line back, having scored a grand total of one touchdown in his career? Is he the vibe?

User name checks out 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Drool 1

I never understood the love for Red. He's mediocre. Hell, he's not even the starter at fucking Nevada. 
I think it's because he ran with reckless abandon and zero regard for his own body or those trying to stop him.

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Jerome Bettis, Rodney Culver (RIP), Japorkie Lane, Jabong Doobs. Count me out on this notion in today's CFB, but the nostalgia is great. 

I’m guessing that’s supposed to be JaMar Toombs? 

10 minutes ago, ousux said:
1 hour ago, T-shirt Sip said:

I think it's because he ran with reckless abandon and zero regard for his own body or those trying to stop him.

How much running do you think he actually did? Outside of a few plays against Tech, the guy was basically a whole lot of behind the LOS sound and fury, gaining nothing. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, BERT said:

I’m guessing that’s supposed to be JaMar Toombs? 

If that’s what you want to call him. It’s not what we called him back in the day. That fatass was busted on more than one occasion basically hogging most of the weed in the greater BCS region. 

How much running do you think he actually did? Outside of a few plays against Tech, the guy was basically a whole lot of behind the LOS sound and fury, gaining nothing. 
Never said he was particularly good at whatever his craft is, just stating why I think some people liked him.

20 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Nice reference, and reminds me ‘ol Bill Shakespeare predicted some Surly threads/posters:

Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
  • Hook 'Em 3

12 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

How do you make this list and leave off Bathtub Mike Alstott and Peyton The Avalanche Hillis

Weird. I likely have an aversion to revering big white dudes toting the rock. Isn't there a Toby something or other as well, now that you mention it?

2 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

Nice reference, and reminds me ‘ol Bill Shakespeare predicted some Surly threads/posters:

Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

This should the quote on the cornerstone of the physical Surly office building where @immamac plots his infernal schemes.

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Weird. I likely have an aversion to revering big white dudes toting the rock. Isn't there a Toby something or other as well, now that you mention it?

12 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

That's Heisman runner-up Toby Gerhart to you

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Jerome Bettis, Rodney Culver (RIP), Japorkie Lane, Jabong Doobs. Count me out on this notion in today's CFB, but the nostalgia is great. 

The Henry Melton thing was hilarious for a little while. Dudes just bouncing off of him. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

59 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

If that’s what you want to call him. It’s not what we called him back in the day. That fatass was busted on more than one occasion basically hogging most of the weed in the greater BCS region. 

That’s all I’ve ever called him. We were childhood friends and he was never the same running the ball after breaking his leg in junior high. But yes, he wasn’t the brightest person when it came to making important decisions. 

He ran around with the wrong crowed growing up, in high school, in college and I’d assume still does now. 

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

What I wouldn't give to have Mike Allstot Juggernauting around this season. 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Holy shit.  Literally 2 days ago I was trying to remember Rodney Culver's name.  I was listening to an SVPod where they were discussing Fantasy drafts, and I had a flashback when someone tried to draft Culver in the late rounds a few months after he died.  I just couldn't remember his name.

That was an awkward moment of people looking around deciding if we would tell the guy and let him repick, or make him live with it.

YARN | This guy here is dead! | Major League (1989) | Video clips by quotes  | a3551842 | 紗

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Red Five said:

The Henry Melton thing was hilarious for a little while. Dudes just bouncing off of him. 

The only thing remember about Melton's RB career here is the option play at tOSU where he pulled up at the goal line just a tad and kept the buckeyes in it.  Of course we got a safety on the next play or two, but GDGD calling an option to our power back at the 1 damn near cost us.

44 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

The only thing remember about Melton's RB career here is the option play at tOSU where he pulled up at the goal line just a tad and kept the buckeyes in it.  Of course we got a safety on the next play or two, but GDGD calling an option to our power back at the 1 damn near cost us.

Jamaal would have strolled in.

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

This should the quote on the cornerstone of the physical Surly office building where @immamac plots his infernal schemes.

Surly-Office-1.jpg

• Drool 1

8 minutes ago, BigHornedLurker said:

Count me in the group that didn't realize adding to our roster was even a possibility this late , and happy for some depth 

I guess in the future we really shouldn't worry about the numbers.....because we still had an open spot this year that we just filled.

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Are Natrone Means and Bam Morris diabetic enough to be included?

9 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Toby Gerhart out of Stanford, sir. He was pretty, pretty good. 

4 hours ago, Chili dog said:

Are Natrone Means and Bam Morris diabetic enough to be included?

After reading our collective posts, I think a “big back” thread would be fun on the football board. Lot of room to work with and they always pop up with new personalities each season. 

• Hook 'Em 1