2024 Season Thread and all the shit in between games

Bobby

On Saturday night, Jaydon Blue was held out because of injury.

As we mentioned, had it been the OU game and not UTSA, Blue would have suited up and played against the Sooners. The sidelining of Blue was precautionary as much as anything.

Blue has participated in practice this week.

But will he play against ULM? Are there possibly others that might get a week of rest?

Sark and his staff are absolutely monitoring the health and durability of the players more than ever before IMO. He has to considering the potential length of the season.

Right now, according to ESPN, Texas is the single team rated the most likely to make the college football playoffs with a 90-percent likelihood.

Potentially, that means more games than ever before. Resting players and/or making sure they’re full go at the right time is important.

It’s also something that can be done only if you have strong depth. And, thankfully, Texas has that depth now as much as ever.

As CJ mentioned, Quinn Ewers tossed the ball some at practice yesterday. He did not really let it fly, but he was warming some.

Sark labeled Ewers as questionable for Saturday’s game. I think that’s being kind. We fully expect Arch Manning to start against ULM.

6 hours ago, Nope said:

I don’t think I can remember a year like this, where we don’t have any teams with an elite passing attack on the schedule.

Is it a concern that our secondary may face their first real test in the playoffs?

username answers your question. think of the test THEIR secondary faces.

• Haha 1

I don’t think I can remember a year like this, where we don’t have any teams with an elite passing attack on the schedule.
Is it a concern that our secondary may face their first real test in the playoffs?
We have enough new faces combined with more experienced ones that the secondary no longer concerns me. Sure they faced pretty crappy offenses so far, (even Mich) but I trust our offense to score more points in the event of a shootout.

If anything is a concern it's really good running teams. Our run D seems to be either stuff the RB at the line or allow them to rip off 10+ yards, not much in-between. That said, not sure which likely playoff team has a monster run game.

7 hours ago, Nope said:

I was discussing this with a buddy at lunch. After thinking about it, the best passing attack we'll face is probably UGA. They're not bad, but they're not 2023 UW either. 

He also made the point that our secondary faces a "real test" in practice. Even if there isn't a great passing team on the schedule, the secondary is still having to defend against one of the best QB and WR rooms in the country every day. 

• Hook 'Em 2