Playoff Pickin' - 2024 CFP Predictions

closetojumping

Normally, there's a "pick your playoff champion" thread this time of year by someone. I've written a few and find them fun to see where people are landing with their outlook for the season. The guesser two years ago closest to the pin was @Wulaw Horn, getting 3 out of 4. I got 1 out of 4 - whoops. Last year was closer for just about everyone, with a few getting 3 out of 4. 

This year, things are different. There will be 12 teams making the playoff, with the highest ranked 4 conference champions getting 1st round byes. The 5th highest ranked conference champion gets the 12th seed (or better if they're ranked higher). 

So, you pretty much have to pick the P4 conference title game champions. This is where a 9-4/10-3 can automatically get in and throw some things for a loop with a bubble 11 seed getting bumped by an unexpected 11-2/12-1 title game loser. Here are my picks and various thoughts for anyone interested. I'm not going into seeding because that's on a whole 'nother level, dawg. I've picked the conference title games and winners, followed by the other 7 P4 bids and then the G5 Ms. Congeniality prize winner. 

Big 10 Title Game - Penn State versus Oregon - Oregon wins

SEC Title Game - Texas versus Ole Miss - Texas wins.

Big 12 Title Game - Utah versus Oklahoma State - Utah wins.

ACC Title Game - Virginia Tech versus Miami - Virginia Tech wins.

That's your top 4 seeds. 

Following that, I like:

-Bama, Georgia and Ole Miss from the SEC

-Penn State, Ohio State from the Big 10

-Miami from the ACC

-Notre Dame 

-Memphis from the AAC

That's 12 teams for 12 spaces. No 2nd team for the Big 12 and no 4th team for the Big 10. Fuck Liberty and their bullshit even if they go 12-0. 

For my championship game, I'm taking Texas versus Oregon because I am a homer and then taking Texas over Oregon because I am also a homer and will believe that Dan Lanning can win a game against a comparably talented opponent after the 1st time I see it.

I had a long write-up about competing teams that I pondered breaking down into conference threads but that made me feel like it was too much and that it might look like I'm all hopped on speed or something, which I am not. I decided to just spoiler my thoughts on various contenders and hope that others addicted to this shit would read up and offer their own takes. 

Spoiler

The Teams That Make It

PSU - Penn State has a cakewalk schedule and they're a talented team. "No one benefits more from the expanded playoff more than PSU" is what you hear from the media. Maybe. What I do believe is that no one benefits more from an expanded Big 10 than PSU. Now, these boring dipshits get to avoid facing both OSU and Michigan each cycle. Their schedule this year is laughable compared to many other contenders. They have to win at WVU, which might be their biggest challenge besides hosting Ohio State and going to USC and to Wiscy over a 3 week stretch. Barring surprising teams on the uptick, they need only win 3 of those 4 and they're a shoe-in for the playoff and if they win 2 of the 3 Big 10 matchups and go undefeated in conference otherwise, they're in the title game. PSU is loaded again on defense, has a great backfield, decent options at WR and TE (Fleming and Co. + Warren) and the favorable schedule. All they have to overcome is a douchebag HC, a new OL, a mediocre and overrated QB, and likely some sort of sexual abuse scandal. PSU in for the playoffs.

Oregon - Speaking of favorable schedules, Oregon has one. They get OSU at home and play Michigan in Ann Arbor 3 weeks later. They have Boise and Oregon State in the non-con, both being respectable match-ups but wins. What Oregon lost in the draft it adequately replaced in the portal. They added Gabriel at QB, Stewart at WR, Caldwell at DT and Muhammad at CB. They're loaded. This is my pick to win it all if Texas doesn't.

Texas - I'm not going to bloviate further on Texas. They return a ton, plus staff consistency, and the schedule is favorable. If Twelve Win Theven is the real deal, he's working with an 11-1/12-0 type team and the floor is 10-2.

Ole Miss - Ole Miss is everyone's darling for the playoffs. Has Kiffin ever beaten someone with comparable talent? Maybe PSU last year? I don't know. I'm not bullish on him in big games. The issue here is that Ole Miss doesn't really have many big games, at least heading into the season. The non-con is shameful - with Wake being their P4 opponent. Ole Miss can lose at home to Georgia and still go 11-1. Maybe that gets them into the title game where they lose to another serious opponent. Can an 11-2 Ole Miss, who loses to its two legit opponents, get in over 10-2 teams that played a tougher schedule? Only if it is SEC on SEC crime that allows for it. I think Ole Miss will get in as the SEC Title Game loser due to optics over someone like a 10-2/9-3 LSU or 9-3 Michigan. 

Utah - Utah has to play at Okie State and at UCF. While I think the Big 12 is somewhat wide open with a lot of solid teams in the middle, I think Utah, with their experience and toughness culture, will take care of business. If they win all but one of @ OSU and @ UCF, they're into the championship game and they'll win it. 

Oklahoma State - The okies don't get enough love heading into the season. They basically return everyone, with 19 starters coming back. They have stars on both sides of the ball in Gordon on offense and Martin and Oliver on defense. They have to beat Arkansas early, so Gundy needs to give a shit, and then manage the Utah/@ KSU swing in late Sept to have a prayer as the 2nd team into the playoffs if they're 11-2 after the Big 12 Title Game. I am dubious on Gundy not fucking something up, but still see him taking the team to the B12CG. I do not see Okie State making the playoff accordingly.

Virginia Tech - Huh? Yes, I think Va Tech will return to prominence this season. VT returns 21 starters off of a young team that went 7-6, winning 3 of their last 4. They have an excellent QB returning. The VT schedule should be commended for not scheduling an FCS school, but their non-con consists of @ Vandy, Marshall, @ ODU, and Rutgers. Not exactly murderer's row, albeit Rutgers, Marshall and ODU could all eek into a bowl. They avoid Louisville, SMU, FSU, UNC, and NC State. They get Clemson at home. If they take care of business, they could still lose @ Miami and make the conference title game with 1 loss. 

Miami - I do not think Miami is "back", but I do think the ACC is weak enough to merit the notion that they somehow get to the title game. They avoid Clemson, NC State, UNC, and SMU. They get VT and FSU at home. Home field advantage when Miami is good is something akin to Texas basketball being good at The Drum. The advantage sort of works in the reverse of most places where the energy is so low that it actually sucks the life out of opponents while the home team is used to it. Miami returns 15 starters and added Cam Ward and Damien Martinez at QB and TB. Cristobal has recruited really well there as well. They should do well. The only thing could stand in the way of Miami and a playoff is the fact that their head coach would attempt to buttfuck a rhino if you told him that a couple of boneheaded losses were hiding up the rhino's ass. Given the weakness of the ACC and the down nature of UF, I think Miami still gets into the playoffs at 11-2.

Alabama - Bama is getting a lot of love to beat out Texas and Ole Miss for a rematch in the SEC game against UGa. I don't really have a problem with them as a playoff team choice. The roster is still loaded and DeBoer is an excellent coach. That said, the transition from Saban will cost them somewhere, shit happens. They lack high end playmakers at TE, WR, and TB. Maybe Haynes and Ryan Williams make me look like a fool saying that. That's counting on serious youth to pull that off against the SEC and @ Wiscy. Defensively, their secondary was ravaged, the DL hasn't met expectations, and the LBs can't do it all themselves. The schedule is tougher than people think. USF's turnaround is real and they played up against Bama last year. @ Wiscy in week 3 should be a great non-conference game for both. Bama gets UGa at home, goes to Tenn, gets Mizzou at home, has LSU and Oklahoma on the road and hosts Auburn. I think I can find 2 losses in all of that, but a 10-2 Bama is in. 

Georgia - While UGa's everyone's pick to open the season, they have a tough schedule and roster question marks. Beck and the OL will be elite. Etienne will be terrific when he wants to be. Yurosek and Delp will be fine at TE but nothing akin to what Bowers provided. That said, none of that spells "explosive" to me, and the WRs are a mixed bag of decent (Lovette) to hope and unknown. Defensively, while the NFL loves Mykel Williams and Starks, they're just kind of picking other guys like Jalon Walker because they play at Georgia and ... because. They have a bunch of highly ranked defensive players but guys involved with working with their defense don't even think it will be one of the top ones in the Smart Era. Outside of that. Georgia gets Clemson to open and they close with a likely bowl bound Ga Tech. In between, they have to go to Bama, Ole Miss, and Texas. They get Auburn at home to follow Bama and Tennessee to follow going to Ole Miss. You can be the most talented team in the country and still lose 2-3 games with that mix. I see Georgia going 10-2 and in the playoff. 

Ohio State - Ohio State *should* make the playoffs. They have a ton of talent returning and their schedule is extremely favorable. Ryan Day *should* avoid coming within 100 yards of elementary schools. Just because some things *should* happen, it doesn't mean they will. OSU went backwards at QB in the portal, whether they know that or not. They brought on a malcontent at TB and disaster on the OL from Bama. Magically, they've been lauded for these additions. OSU will continue to have the same problem that has plagued them during the Day Experience - weak OL play. They'll get manhandled in Eugene and at home late against a rising Michigan. Is there another loss due to that at home against Iowa or Nebraska or at PSU? I doubt it, but it wouldn't be crazy. After losing to Michigan again but making the playoff, Ryan Day shaves his beard and sweater of back hair as a show of humility to that fatassed fanbase smelling of stale beer and nauseating cologne, earning himself another year. 

Notre Dame - Much wringing of hands has occurred on this site regarding the Notre Dame @ ATM game to open the season. I think that is unwarranted. Yes, they have to rebuild the edges on the OL and they've got work to do in the backfield. That's about where the issues end. They have a solid, if overrated transfer QB in Leonard. They have NFL talent at TE and talent at WR. The defensive side is loaded with AA candidates and NFL draft picks at every level, including returning AAs at CB, Safety and NG. Their schedule is laughable and they should absolutely not get into the CFP with a 10-2 record this cycle. They have to beat ATM and USC on the road to open and close the year and then yawn their way through the rest of their schedule. Notre Dame gets in at 12-0 or 11-1. 

Memphis - If Memphis beats FSU, you have to like them as the P5 team to get in. They bring back 16 starters included a good QB and their schedule favors double digit wins, whether they beat FSU or not. Beating FSU and losing one in conference still likely gets them rated above other P5 conference winners. 

The Pretenders

USC - USC's schedule is comparable to UF's and no one cares because everyone hates Lincoln. The new QB, Moss, doesn't have magic feet and can't also play defense. USC finishes closer to 6-6 than 12-0. Seriously, go look at their schedule. The travel is brutal and the opponents are legit. Opening with LSU and closing with Notre Dame is a tough non-conference slate when adding bowl candidate Utah State as the patsy.

Michigan - Michigan replaces 18 starters and faces a far more daunting schedule than the cupcake run from last season. They'll have a great defense that Wink Martindale will attempt to fuck up by negating talent and blitzing 55% of the snaps. They also do not have a QB. I'm sure they'll develop well and be formidable by year's end, but the losses will be too many when all is said and done for a CFP run. 

KSU - KSU's brand seems to merit getting mentioned as a Big 12 contender and CFP contender. Outside of a Charmin soft schedule, I don't get it. They lost 4 of 5 OL starters, their TE, and their starting QB. Avery Johnson is allegedly the truth, so maybe that helps, but you don't just "reload" at a place like KSU. Defensively, they bring guys back, but unlike many other years, I don't think I can name a defensive starter without cheating. The schedule is pathetic - they get Arizona as a non-con opponent and miss Utah, UCF, and TCU. Given parity within conference and the offensive rebuild, I still don't see 10-2 or better shaking out. 

FSU - Everyone loves FSU in part because of what happened to them last year. This year isn't last year. They're betting on the portal magically making guys get better. DJU and Malik Benson won't be made better by the portal. They have to replace something akin to 15 starters, including multiple high draft picks. Marvin Jones Sr isn't walking through that door, but unfortunately for FSU, Marvin Jones Jr is. The schedule is also a little ridiculous. FSU has a travel heavy early in the season and then has to beat Memphis. They also close with UF and pick up many of the top ACC programs for 2024. With weak depth, major talent losses and a difficult schedule, FSU will do well to get to 8-4 and I will stunned to see them higher. The fact that people are pointing to DJU as some sort of asset is fucking comical. 

Clemson - Be forewarned, each of the last 2 seasons has seen many a Surlyer picking Clemson, only to wind up very disappointed. There's a reason for that - they don't have the same depth of "dudes" anymore and won't for what could be a very long while. No one seemed to think it was weird that local schools weren't all over Cade Klubnik and his 5 stars a few years back. No, no, it was just ol'Dabo working his magic and getting over on everybody while we all gladly watched that guy leave (except for the Westlake honks). Stunningly, Klubnik's been a mediocrity. He's also surrounded by as much at OL. The returning back is solid and the TE is excellent. They're basically praying that Wesco and/or Moore can work some magic at WR as true freshmen because the returning WRs aren't scaring anyone. Peter Woods is great on the DL and they have dudes on defense up front. They have a stud true freshman at LB named Sammy Brown who could be a big deal. That said, this won't be a top 5 defense in CFB to couple with a likely bottom half P4 offense. The schedule is tough, opening as a double digit dog against Georgia and then turning around immediately against an App State team will likely win the Sun Belt. Dabo will find a way to lead this team to another 8-4 record while telling anyone who will listen that Clemson is also on its way back up. 

LSU - The coonasses brought in help on the defensive coaching side, and that should go a long ways, but will it be enough? No. It won't. Coaching isn't going to manufacture enough DL help to fog a mirror. Corey Raymond isn't going to put his recruiting phone down long enough to actually, you know, coach and develop DBs. Also, they're replacing a Heisman winner with a dude named "Nussmeier". While I know the idiots commenting around the program think the offense won't miss a beat, it's hard to believe there won't be a fall off. Meanwhile, they still bizarrely lack TB talent and sent multiple WRs to the NFL. The OL will be outstanding and the TE is certainly lauded. Kudos to LSU also being willing to play two P4 non-con games against USC and UCLA. They'll be better on one side of the ball and worse on the other while playing a difficult schedule. 9-3 won't be getting them into the CFP, but wins against ATM and Oklahoma will certainly have us entertained. 

Liberty - I only mention these clowns to say that they should get no consideration. They played the worst schedule in FBS last year and were rewarded by getting to embarrass themselves on live tv in a big bowl. If I wanted to see someone get humiliated in public, I'd ask to be seated next to @BurntOrange&White while his wife berates him for not being taller and the waiter for his insouciance at the local tex-mex joint. A team like this should have to beat several P4 non-con opponents to be taken seriously. Again this year, they've avoided scheduling even one P4 program. They play in the weakest conference in FBS, scheduled an FCS school anyway, and play 3 more programs who are within 3 years of also being an FCS program (Kennesaw, Jx St, SHSU). Get the fuck out of the conversation, you dickless wonders. 

These Programs Aren't Worthy of Dialogue, Irrespective of Preseason Rank

OU -These guys suck, particularly their QB, fight song and HC.

ATM - They got worse in the offseason across the board and the portal magically has made guys they brought in better. Right. 

Iowa - Go fuck yourselves until you can score 20 points against a ranked opponent again.

Wisconsin - a year or two early and Van Dyke is hard to take seriously.

Tennessee - The QB might be the real deal but I'm going to need to see it week in and week out. The WRs look like the same shit from last year. Pearce is a stud on defense surrounded by a bunch of guys named Matt. They have to replace 11 starters, good luck.

NC State - Picked these guys to be a top 4 CFP team one of the last two years. Won't be making that mistake again, so they'll likely win the whole thing. If they beat Tennessee in the early part of the year, maybe they make a run.

Boise State - They have a leadership transition, a highly paid back-up in Malachi Nelson, and scattered names I don't recognize throughout the starting 22. They have to beat Oregon to be relevant and I don't see it. 

Missouri - Can they catch lightning in a bottle two years in a row? I feel like it never works out that way. They return a lot on offense but play a tough schedule in the SEC. Maybe they're a sleeper to go 10-2 and get in due to others falling off? When Boston College beats them early this year, we'll be reminded that, no, they're just the same old Missouri.

Hook'em and thanks for any others bringing their own opinions to the table.

Here are links to prior season thoughts:

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

SEC- Texas

Big 10- Ohio State

Big 12- Utah

ACC- NC State

Others in the playoffs- Georgia, Bama, Ole Miss, Michigan, Oregon, Notre Dame, Ok. State, Liberty

Through after the first round of playoffs- Oregon, Georgia, Bama, Notre Dame

Through to the semis- Texas, ohio state, Georgia, Oregon

Texas over ohio state

That was probably stupid to list them all out as if I knew what the seeding was going to be to know where match ups were going were. 

If we were scoring this I would suggest 1 point for every team in the 12 that gets in and an additional 1 point for picking the team that got the bye correctly.   

B10 Title - tOSU vs Michigan - tOSU wins

SEC Title - Texas vs Bama - Texas wins

B12 Title - K State vs UCF - KState wins

ACC Title - Florida State vs NC State - Florida State wins

G5 - Liberty

Other Seeds

Georgia, LSU, Ole Miss, Bama, Michigan, Penn State, Oregon, UCF

Title Game - Georgia vs tOSU with Kirby winning and sending Ryan Day into the worst hell an 11 win a year coach can be in. 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Normally, there's a "pick your playoff champion" thread this time of year by someone. I've written a few and find them fun to see where people are landing with their outlook for the season. The guesser two years ago closest to the pin was @Wulaw Horn, getting 3 out of 4. I got 1 out of 4 - whoops. Last year was closer for just about everyone, with a few getting 3 out of 4. 

This year, things are different. There will be 12 teams making the playoff, with the highest ranked 4 conference champions getting 1st round byes. The 5th highest ranked conference champion gets the 12th seed (or better if they're ranked higher). 

So, you pretty much have to pick the P4 conference title game champions. This is where a 9-4/10-3 can automatically get in and throw some things for a loop with a bubble 11 seed getting bumped by an unexpected 11-2/12-1 title game loser. Here are my picks and various thoughts for anyone interested. I'm not going into seeding because that's on a whole 'nother level, dawg. I've picked the conference title games and winners, followed by the other 7 P4 bids and then the G5 Ms. Congeniality prize winner. 

SEC Title Game - Texas versus Ole Miss - Texas wins.

Big 12 Title Game - Utah versus Oklahoma State - Utah wins.

ACC Title Game - Virginia Tech versus Miami - Virginia Tech wins.

That's your top 4 seeds. 

Following that, I like:

-Bama, Georgia and Ole Miss from the SEC

-Penn State, Ohio State from the Big 10

-Miami from the ACC

-Notre Dame 

-Memphis from the AAC

That's 12 teams for 12 spaces. No 2nd team for the Big 12 and no 4th team for the Big 10. Fuck Liberty and their bullshit even if they go 12-0. 

For my championship game, I'm taking Texas versus Oregon because I am a homer and then taking Texas over Oregon because I am also a homer and will believe that Dan Lanning can win a game against a comparably talented opponent after the 1st time I see it.

I had a long write-up about competing teams that I pondered breaking down into conference threads but that made me feel like it was too much and that it might look like I'm all hopped on speed or something, which I am not. I decided to just spoiler my thoughts on various contenders and hope that others addicted to this shit would read up and offer their own takes. 

Hide contents

The Teams That Make It

PSU - Penn State has a cakewalk schedule and they're a talented team. "No one benefits more from the expanded playoff more than PSU" is what you hear from the media. Maybe. What I do believe is that no one benefits more from an expanded Big 10 than PSU. Now, these boring dipshits get to avoid facing both OSU and Michigan each cycle. Their schedule this year is laughable compared to many other contenders. They have to win at WVU, which might be their biggest challenge besides hosting Ohio State and going to USC and to Wiscy over a 3 week stretch. Barring surprising teams on the uptick, they need only win 3 of those 4 and they're a shoe-in for the playoff and if they win 2 of the 3 Big 10 matchups and go undefeated in conference otherwise, they're in the title game. PSU is loaded again on defense, has a great backfield, decent options at WR and TE (Fleming and Co. + Warren) and the favorable schedule. All they have to overcome is a douchebag HC, a new OL, a mediocre and overrated QB, and likely some sort of sexual abuse scandal. PSU in for the playoffs.

Oregon - Speaking of favorable schedules, Oregon has one. They get OSU at home and play Michigan in Ann Arbor 3 weeks later. They have Boise and Oregon State in the non-con, both being respectable match-ups but wins. What Oregon lost in the draft it adequately replaced in the portal. They added Gabriel at QB, Stewart at WR, Caldwell at DT and Muhammad at CB. They're loaded. This is my pick to win it all if Texas doesn't.

Texas - I'm not going to bloviate further on Texas. They return a ton, plus staff consistency, and the schedule is favorable. If Twelve Win Theven is the real deal, he's working with an 11-1/12-0 type team and the floor is 10-2.

Ole Miss - Ole Miss is everyone's darling for the playoffs. Has Kiffin ever beaten someone with comparable talent? Maybe PSU last year? I don't know. I'm not bullish on him in big games. The issue here is that Ole Miss doesn't really have many big games, at least heading into the season. The non-con is shameful - with Wake being their P4 opponent. Ole Miss can lose at home to Georgia and still go 11-1. Maybe that gets them into the title game where they lose to another serious opponent. Can an 11-2 Ole Miss, who loses to its two legit opponents, get in over 10-2 teams that played a tougher schedule? Only if it is SEC on SEC crime that allows for it. I think Ole Miss will get in as the SEC Title Game loser due to optics over someone like a 10-2/9-3 LSU or 9-3 Michigan. 

Utah - Utah has to play at Okie State and at UCF. While I think the Big 12 is somewhat wide open with a lot of solid teams in the middle, I think Utah, with their experience and toughness culture, will take care of business. If they win all but one of @ OSU and @ UCF, they're into the championship game and they'll win it. 

Oklahoma State - The okies don't get enough love heading into the season. They basically return everyone, with 19 starters coming back. They have stars on both sides of the ball in Gordon on offense and Martin and Oliver on defense. They have to beat Arkansas early, so Gundy needs to give a shit, and then manage the Utah/@ KSU swing in late Sept to have a prayer as the 2nd team into the playoffs if they're 11-2 after the Big 12 Title Game. I am dubious on Gundy not fucking something up, but still see him taking the team to the B12CG. I do not see Okie State making the playoff accordingly.

Virginia Tech - Huh? Yes, I think Va Tech will return to prominence this season. VT returns 21 starters off of a young team that went 7-6, winning 3 of their last 4. They have an excellent QB returning. The VT schedule should be commended for not scheduling an FCS school, but their non-con consists of @ Vandy, Marshall, @ ODU, and Rutgers. Not exactly murderer's row, albeit Rutgers, Marshall and ODU could all eek into a bowl. They avoid Louisville, SMU, FSU, UNC, and NC State. They get Clemson at home. If they take care of business, they could still lose @ Miami and make the conference title game with 1 loss. 

Miami - I do not think Miami is "back", but I do think the ACC is weak enough to merit the notion that they somehow get to the title game. They avoid Clemson, NC State, UNC, and SMU. They get VT and FSU at home. Home field advantage when Miami is good is something akin to Texas basketball being good at The Drum. The advantage sort of works in the reverse of most places where the energy is so low that it actually sucks the life out of opponents while the home team is used to it. Miami returns 15 starters and added Cam Ward and Damien Martinez at QB and TB. Cristobal has recruited really well there as well. They should do well. The only thing could stand in the way of Miami and a playoff is the fact that their head coach would attempt to buttfuck a rhino if you told him that a couple of boneheaded losses were hiding up the rhino's ass. Given the weakness of the ACC and the down nature of UF, I think Miami still gets into the playoffs at 11-2.

Alabama - Bama is getting a lot of love to beat out Texas and Ole Miss for a rematch in the SEC game against UGa. I don't really have a problem with them as a playoff team choice. The roster is still loaded and DeBoer is an excellent coach. That said, the transition from Saban will cost them somewhere, shit happens. They lack high end playmakers at TE, WR, and TB. Maybe Haynes and Ryan Williams make me look like a fool saying that. That's counting on serious youth to pull that off against the SEC and @ Wiscy. Defensively, their secondary was ravaged, the DL hasn't met expectations, and the LBs can't do it all themselves. The schedule is tougher than people think. USF's turnaround is real and they played up against Bama last year. @ Wiscy in week 3 should be a great non-conference game for both. Bama gets UGa at home, goes to Tenn, gets Mizzou at home, has LSU and Oklahoma on the road and hosts Auburn. I think I can find 2 losses in all of that, but a 10-2 Bama is in. 

Georgia - While UGa's everyone's pick to open the season, they have a tough schedule and roster question marks. Beck and the OL will be elite. Etienne will be terrific when he wants to be. Yurosek and Delp will be fine at TE but nothing akin to what Bowers provided. That said, none of that spells "explosive" to me, and the WRs are a mixed bag of decent (Lovette) to hope and unknown. Defensively, while the NFL loves Mykel Williams and Starks, they're just kind of picking other guys like Jalon Walker because they play at Georgia and ... because. They have a bunch of highly ranked defensive players but guys involved with working with their defense don't even think it will be one of the top ones in the Smart Era. Outside of that. Georgia gets Clemson to open and they close with a likely bowl bound Ga Tech. In between, they have to go to Bama, Ole Miss, and Texas. They get Auburn at home to follow Bama and Tennessee to follow going to Ole Miss. You can be the most talented team in the country and still lose 2-3 games with that mix. I see Georgia going 10-2 and in the playoff. 

Ohio State - Ohio State *should* make the playoffs. They have a ton of talent returning and their schedule is extremely favorable. Ryan Day *should* avoid coming within 100 yards of elementary schools. Just because some things *should* happen, it doesn't mean they will. OSU went backwards at QB in the portal, whether they know that or not. They brought on a malcontent at TB and disaster on the OL from Bama. Magically, they've been lauded for these additions. OSU will continue to have the same problem that has plagued them during the Day Experience - weak OL play. They'll get manhandled in Eugene and at home late against a rising Michigan. Is there another loss due to that at home against Iowa or Nebraska or at PSU? I doubt it, but it wouldn't be crazy. After losing to Michigan again but making the playoff, Ryan Day shaves his beard and sweater of back hair as a show of humility to that fatassed fanbase smelling of stale beer and nauseating cologne, earning himself another year. 

Notre Dame - Much wringing of hands has occurred on this site regarding the Notre Dame @ ATM game to open the season. I think that is unwarranted. Yes, they have to rebuild the edges on the OL and they've got work to do in the backfield. That's about where the issues end. They have a solid, if overrated transfer QB in Leonard. They have NFL talent at TE and talent at WR. The defensive side is loaded with AA candidates and NFL draft picks at every level, including returning AAs at CB, Safety and NG. Their schedule is laughable and they should absolutely not get into the CFP with a 10-2 record this cycle. They have to beat ATM and USC on the road to open and close the year and then yawn their way through the rest of their schedule. Notre Dame gets in at 12-0 or 11-1. 

Memphis - If Memphis beats FSU, you have to like them as the P5 team to get in. They bring back 16 starters included a good QB and their schedule favors double digit wins, whether they beat FSU or not. Beating FSU and losing one in conference still likely gets them rated above other P5 conference winners. 

The Pretenders

USC - USC's schedule is comparable to UF's and no one cares because everyone hates Lincoln. The new QB, Moss, doesn't have magic feet and can't also play defense. USC finishes closer to 6-6 than 12-0. Seriously, go look at their schedule. The travel is brutal and the opponents are legit. Opening with LSU and closing with Notre Dame is a tough non-conference slate when adding bowl candidate Utah State as the patsy.

Michigan - Michigan replaces 18 starters and faces a far more daunting schedule than the cupcake run from last season. They'll have a great defense that Wink Martindale will attempt to fuck up by negating talent and blitzing 55% of the snaps. They also do not have a QB. I'm sure they'll develop well and be formidable by year's end, but the losses will be too many when all is said and done for a CFP run. 

KSU - KSU's brand seems to merit getting mentioned as a Big 12 contender and CFP contender. Outside of a Charmin soft schedule, I don't get it. They lost 4 of 5 OL starters, their TE, and their starting QB. Avery Johnson is allegedly the truth, so maybe that helps, but you don't just "reload" at a place like KSU. Defensively, they bring guys back, but unlike many other years, I don't think I can name a defensive starter without cheating. The schedule is pathetic - they get Arizona as a non-con opponent and miss Utah, UCF, and TCU. Given parity within conference and the offensive rebuild, I still don't see 10-2 or better shaking out. 

FSU - Everyone loves FSU in part because of what happened to them last year. This year isn't last year. They're betting on the portal magically making guys get better. DJU and Malik Benson won't be made better by the portal. They have to replace something akin to 15 starters, including multiple high draft picks. Marvin Jones Sr isn't walking through that door, but unfortunately for FSU, Marvin Jones Jr is. The schedule is also a little ridiculous. FSU has a travel heavy early in the season and then has to beat Memphis. They also close with UF and pick up many of the top ACC programs for 2024. With weak depth, major talent losses and a difficult schedule, FSU will do well to get to 8-4 and I will stunned to see them higher. The fact that people are pointing to DJU as some sort of asset is fucking comical. 

Clemson - Be forewarned, each of the last 2 seasons has seen many a Surlyer picking Clemson, only to wind up very disappointed. There's a reason for that - they don't have the same depth of "dudes" anymore and won't for what could be a very long while. No one seemed to think it was weird that local schools weren't all over Cade Klubnik and his 5 stars a few years back. No, no, it was just ol'Dabo working his magic and getting over on everybody while we all gladly watched that guy leave (except for the Westlake honks). Stunningly, Klubnik's been a mediocrity. He's also surrounded by as much at OL. The returning back is solid and the TE is excellent. They're basically praying that Wesco and/or Moore can work some magic at WR as true freshmen because the returning WRs aren't scaring anyone. Peter Woods is great on the DL and they have dudes on defense up front. They have a stud true freshman at LB named Sammy Brown who could be a big deal. That said, this won't be a top 5 defense in CFB to couple with a likely bottom half P4 offense. The schedule is tough, opening as a double digit dog against Georgia and then turning around immediately against an App State team will likely win the Sun Belt. Dabo will find a way to lead this team to another 8-4 record while telling anyone who will listen that Clemson is also on its way back up. 

LSU - The coonasses brought in help on the defensive coaching side, and that should go a long ways, but will it be enough? No. It won't. Coaching isn't going to manufacture enough DL help to fog a mirror. Corey Raymond isn't going to put his recruiting phone down long enough to actually, you know, coach and develop DBs. Also, they're replacing a Heisman winner with a dude named "Nussmeier". While I know the idiots commenting around the program think the offense won't miss a beat, it's hard to believe there won't be a fall off. Meanwhile, they still bizarrely lack TB talent and sent multiple WRs to the NFL. The OL will be outstanding and the TE is certainly lauded. Kudos to LSU also being willing to play two P4 non-con games against USC and UCLA. They'll be better on one side of the ball and worse on the other while playing a difficult schedule. 9-3 won't be getting them into the CFP, but wins against ATM and Oklahoma will certainly have us entertained. 

Liberty - I only mention these clowns to say that they should get no consideration. They played the worst schedule in FBS last year and were rewarded by getting to embarrass themselves on live tv in a big bowl. If I wanted to see someone get humiliated in public, I'd ask to be seated next to @BurntOrange&White while his wife berates him for not being taller and the waiter for his insouciance at the local tex-mex joint. A team like this should have to beat several P4 non-con opponents to be taken seriously. Again this year, they've avoided scheduling even one P4 program. They play in the weakest conference in FBS, scheduled an FCS school anyway, and play 3 more programs who are within 3 years of also being an FCS program (Kennesaw, Jx St, SHSU). Get the fuck out of the conversation, you dickless wonders. 

These Programs Aren't Worthy of Dialogue, Irrespective of Preseason Rank

OU -These guys suck, particularly their QB, fight song and HC.

ATM - They got worse in the offseason across the board and the portal magically has made guys they brought in better. Right. 

Iowa - Go fuck yourselves until you can score 20 points against a ranked opponent again.

Wisconsin - a year or two early and Van Dyke is hard to take seriously.

Tennessee - The QB might be the real deal but I'm going to need to see it week in and week out. The WRs look like the same shit from last year. Pearce is a stud on defense surrounded by a bunch of guys named Matt. They have to replace 11 starters, good luck.

NC State - Picked these guys to be a top 4 CFP team one of the last two years. Won't be making that mistake again, so they'll likely win the whole thing. If they beat Tennessee in the early part of the year, maybe they make a run.

Boise State - They have a leadership transition, a highly paid back-up in Malachi Nelson, and scattered names I don't recognize throughout the starting 22. They have to beat Oregon to be relevant and I don't see it. 

Missouri - Can they catch lightning in a bottle two years in a row? I feel like it never works out that way. They return a lot on offense but play a tough schedule in the SEC. Maybe they're a sleeper to go 10-2 and get in due to others falling off? When Boston College beats them early this year, we'll be reminded that, no, they're just the same old Missouri.

Hook'em and thanks for any others bringing their own opinions to the table.

Here are links to prior season thoughts:

Also- ha on NC State- I think you just were a year early on them. Their schedule blows and they are probably pretty good. That's sort of the same blueprint for VA Tech so I get where you were going with that. Wouldn't be surprised if those were your two ACC title game participants. In the big 12 I think it's OSU and Utah. I picked NC State and Utah but could just as easily see it being the other way around.  

3 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

I will wait for the expert to give his predictions before I chime in on this conversation.

GDM7ZY64Y5D3VAEG6L4H34H4CY.JPG?auth=a15c

Amazing that he still draws a paycheck from any company except Dollar General. I'll bet that Miles Davis album cover actually contains the Best of Tickle Me Elmo

Posted (edited)

Stealing the formatting from @Vertigo cause I'm lazy, it's close to my pics and like it.

B10 Title - tOSU vs Oregon - tOSU wins

SEC Title - Texas vs Georgia- Georgia wins

B12 Title - OSU vs Utah - Utah wins

ACC Title - Miami vs NC State - NC State wins

G5 - Memphis

Other Seeds

Texas, LSU, Miami, Bama, Michigan, Oregon, ND (I could easily see Iowa in over Miami but I think Miami gets the talking heads love and TV sets them in. The BIG and Big XII are bitching in 2024 instead of ACC)

Title Game - Texas vs tOSU

Texas wins!!! 

Edit - If Liberty makes it into the playoffs any validity the CFp might have had will be completely gone in my view. They shouldn't have made that bowl last year. Similarly, if ND makes it in on 9 wins, it's equally fraudulent. 

Dark Horse - I mentioned it above but I'll make the call. I think there is a good chance Iowa makes the playoffs with a 10 ppg history. For whatever fucking reason the B1G can't fucking close those clowns. They shouldn't be in and I think a lot of teams not named Liberty or ND will deserve to be in over them... but something always tweeks me about the season and I'm guessing at least 2 of them will this year. ND with 9 wins and Iowa with 10 ppg make it to the playoffs. In which case the ACC goes apoplectic, and this year they're correct.

Edited by BurntEyes
Fixed
  • Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Stealing the formatting from @Vertigo cause I'm lazy, it's close to my pics and like it.

B10 Title - tOSU vs Oregon - tOSU wins

B12 Title - K State vs Utah - Utah wins

ACC Title - Miami vs NC State - NC State wins

G5 - Memphis

Other Seeds

Texas, LSU, Miami, Bama, Michigan, Oregon, ND (I could easily see Iowa in over Miami but I think Miami gets the talking heads love and TV sets them in. The BIG and Big XII are bitching in 2024 instead of ACC)

And????

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Big10 TOSU over oregon

SEC Georgia over Alabama

BIG12 Kstate over West Virginia (long shot)

ACC Miami over Clemson

Other 8 Texas, Oregon, Penn State, ND, Okie Lite(kills me because don’t think they will be good), NC State, Alabama, Michigan 

Championship game Oregon beats Ohio state 

Edited by Pdawg88

B10 Ohio St over Oregon 

B12 Utah over Iowa St

ACC Florida St over Miami

SEC Georgia over Alabama

The rest of the playoff - Texas, Oregon, Miami, Bama, Penn St, Mississippi, Memphis, LSU

Georgia beats Texas for the title. 

SEC - Texas over Missouri

Big Ten - Ohio State over Oregon

ACC - Clemson over NC State

Big 12 - Kansas State over Utah

Playoffs:

#5 Georgia over #12 Memphis

#6 Oregon over #11 Missouri

#7 Notre Dame over #10 Michigan

#8 Alabama over #9 Penn State

#1 Ohio State over # 8 Alabama

#2 Texas over #7 Notre Dame

#6 Orgeon over #3 Clemson

#5 Georgia over #4 Kansas State

#5 Georgia over #1 Ohio State

#2 Texas over #6 Oregon

#2 Texas over #5 Georgia

• Hook 'Em 2

SEC - Bama over Texas

B10 - Oregon over Ohio State

ACC - FSU over Miami

B12 - KSU over Utah

Playoff Teams: Bama, Texas, Missouri, Ole Miss, Oregon, Ohio State, Penn State, KSU, Utah, FSU, Miami, and UTSA.

Final Four: Bama, Oregon, Ole Miss, Texas

Championship: Texas wins a rematch against Bama to come full circle on the 2010 Rose Bowl. Gotta go full homer, here.

Bold predictions:

1. We get bullshit upsets in the Big 12 and ACC title games (along with some conference ref conspiracies) that kick Georgia and/or ND out of the playoff, and this auto bid stuff ends up with a very short shelf life. 

2. UTSA making the playoff as A&M goes 7-5 makes everybody in College Station start having hardcore buyers remorse on Elko and start pining for Traylor.

3. OU has a losing record.

Mine:

SEC Title Game - Georgia versus Missouri - Georgia wins.

Big 12 Title Game - Kansas St versus Arizona - Kansas State wins.

ACC Title Game - Florida St versus Louisville  Florida State wins.

That's your top 4 seeds. 

Following that, I like:

-Missouri and Texas from the SEC

-Penn State and Ohio State from the Big 10

-Notre Dame 

-Arizona from the Big 12

-Miami from the ACC

-Boise State from the MW

The Athletic CFP experts really know their stuff, so -- sorry -- Texas is already out:

Hi Jayna. The four teams I see the most legit national title hype for: Oregon, Ohio State, Georgia and Texas. Who are we overrating, and who are we missing?

Jayna: Texas is the team that looks most likely to trip up from that group. As The Athletic’s Stewart Mandel detailed in his mailbag this week, the hype around the Longhorns is rooted in one great season last year … but there were a lot of mediocre ones before it. Quarterback Quinn Ewers will surely have a great year, but the offense is bound to suffer a setback after losing two running backs this preseason to injury, including starter CJ Baxter. And Texas will be adjusting to its first SEC season (with tough conference road trips at Oklahoma, Arkansas and Texas A&M).

So I just found out we have to play AT Oklahoma this year. Not sure how you guys, and everyone else following college football since 1912, missed that.

Also breaking news: Texas A&M is tough.

Posted (edited)

Jayna doesn’t seem very bright. What the actual fuck do prior mediocre seasons, mostly with previous coaches, have to do with this season and looking at returning players and portal takes?

Tough break for Texas being the only one not returning everyone from last year’s offense, unlike, say, Georgia and Oregon. 

Edited by Doc Daneeka

3 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

SEC - Bama over Texas

B10 - Oregon over Ohio State

ACC - FSU over Miami

B12 - KSU over Utah

Playoff Teams: Bama, Texas, Missouri, Ole Miss, Oregon, Ohio State, Penn State, KSU, Utah, FSU, Miami, and UTSA.

Final Four: Bama, Oregon, Ole Miss, Texas

Championship: Texas wins a rematch against Bama to come full circle on the 2010 Rose Bowl. Gotta go full homer, here.

Bold predictions:

1. We get bullshit upsets in the Big 12 and ACC title games (along with some conference ref conspiracies) that kick Georgia and/or ND out of the playoff, and this auto bid stuff ends up with a very short shelf life. 

2. UTSA making the playoff as A&M goes 7-5 makes everybody in College Station start having hardcore buyers remorse on Elko and start pining for Traylor.

3. OU has a losing record.

Oh, god, that would be glorious.

Posted (edited)

Here is my final answer:

Big10: Oregon 

SEC: Georgia 

BIG12:Utah

ACC: Clemson

Other 8:  OSU, Texas, Penn State, ND, Bama, Florida State, Ole Miss, Memphis

Championship:  Homer pick.  Texas beats UGA in the rubber match.

Sidenote:  I really don't know what to do with the Big 12 or ACC at all. I feel decent about the Utah pick but the ACC is a total crapshoot.  I guess we get a feel for FSU in about an hour.  It won't shock me if both the ACC and Big 12 beat each other up revealing a bunch of good not great teams and neither gets 2 teams in the playoff.  Or at least we all feel like that is the correct outcome.  Not sure the committee will have the balls to do that unless it isn't debatable.

Edited by Skipper

Posted (edited)

Fresh back from a multi-week August vaca, if I’m being honest, I’m far too unprepared to have an opinion about much of anything college football related so I’ll be using this thread as a number of tools to kick off that rust and get in the game. Opine away fellas

Edited by Steelers Roll Left

SEC - Texas over Bama

B1G - Oregon over Michigan

ACC - Virginia Tech over FSU

Big XII - Okie State over Utah

G5 - Boise

At-Large - Notre Dame, Bama, Georgia, Michigan, tOSU, Utah, K-State

B10 Title - tOSU vs Oregon - tOSU wins

B12 Title - OSU vs Utah - Utah wins

ACC Title - Miami vs Clemson - Clemson wins

G5 - Boise State

Other Seeds

Texas, LSU, Miami, Bama, Michigan, Oregon, ND.

Horns Win (first of Three-peat!)

The hardest part of making a prediction is the rankings aspect, and then making picks based on who plays who each round. Yeah, you pick the conference champions and could do a fairly decent job ranking 1-4. They're in a bye for the first round. Got it. 

Then, there's 5-12. Picking the other 8 best teams you'd think make it in isn't necessarily too difficult, either. 

But then comes the tricky part. Using @closetojumping's picks for making the playoff, would you take ND over Miami if that's a round 1 matchup? If so, what's the pick if the next round they're playing Utah? Would it change if ND was Vtech? So on and so on. 

Dbtb3dAVQAAcLtr.jpg

So I'll just predict Texas will face 3 different teams and win the national championship. 

Ctrl+f Tennessee-0 results

Volunteers are an interesting team and this is a huge year for them as a program. They've slowly crawled out of a decade plus long period of SEC irrelevance. With Saban retiring and UGA already having passed them, it feels like a spot has opened up at the top of the conference that won't stay open forever.

They have nice pieces on defense and at the skill positions and Oline. And they have a QB they think could be special

@NC State @ OU @UGA

Need to win 2 of those

They get Bama and their daddy Florida at home plus Kentucky and other winnable games

B1G Champ/#1: Ohio State

SEC Champ/#2: Georgia

Big 12 Champ/#3: Utah

ACC Champ/#4: FSU - probably would have picked them by default because the conference is a crapshoot of mediocrity so I'm gonna honor that since I'm picking after their loss this morning.

Top G5 Champ/#12: Boise State... Another where I don't actually know who to pick but people seem to like them this year and they should only lose to Oregon OOC.

5-11 Seeds in no particular order: Texas, Oregon, Penn State, Ole Miss, Alabama, Kansas State, and... hot take... USC.

First two out: Notre Dame, LSU

Posted (edited)

Big 10  Iowa, Oregon, Michigan, Ohio State, USC: I think Iowa wins the Big 10. 

SEC - Texas, Ole Miss, Bama, Missouri: I think Texas or Missouri wins SEC.

Big 12 - Texas Tech, Iowa State, UCF, Utah and Okie State. I think Texas Tech wins. 

ACC  - Georgia Tech, Clemson, Miami. I think Clemson probably wins but impressed with Georgia Tech.

I also like:

-UCF, Memphis, Rice and Boise State. 

I realize I made this after Florida State lost to Georgia Tech but I wasn’t high on Florida State. They could still get in but their chances look bleak. 

It’s not really much of a prediction. I having issues determining the divisions within each conference for playoff purposes. My bad. I do think Clemson or Georgia Tech makes the playoffs. 

Edited by Nicole44

I think the 12 team format is going to make this pretty chalky in most cases. The Big 12 and ACC can potentially make things interesting, but with more chaos in those conferences, the higher likelihood it is that another preseason favorite from the SEC or B1G gets in and the other conferences get just 1 or maybe 2 teams in.

ACC- This league is wide open. Clemson, FSU (even with the loss to GT), Miami, NC State, Va Tech, and even SMU have a realistic shot at going 10-2 which would put them in the conversation. Miami is the most talented so I'll take them as the champ even though Cristobal is an idiot. I just don't have a ton of confidence in anyone else. Champ: Miami

Big 12- I view the Big 12 as less wide open than the ACC but the middle can jump up and spoil things for the rest of the league. I expect that the champion has 2 or maybe even 3 losses which will most likely relegate it to a one bid league. I'm not buying all of the hype on K-State and Avery Johnson. They will be a top 3 team in the league but Utah if healthy is a safe bet to at least make the championship game and from there its probably a little better than a coin flip that they win it if they are there. Oklahoma State would be my second pick here. Champ: Utah

B1G- Outside of the top 4 teams, this league is mediocre. Outside of the Top 6, this league downright sucks. I don't see Ohio St, Oregon, or Penn State losing more than 2 games and Michigan's schedule is so weak that 9-3 is the floor there too. Ohio State has the most tough games out of the top 3 but they are the most talented roster. Conversely Penn St probably has the least talented roster but the easiest schedule. I have an Ohio St vs Penn St rematch in the championship and Ohio St winning it. Champ: Ohio St

SEC- I think Georgia and Texas are near locks to at least make the playoff. They are the most talented teams and have the most depth. Alabama is still a very talented team and Deboer can coach so I'm not writing them off as a 9-3 team. It'd be very underwhelming for Ole Miss to go anything less than 10-2. I'm not buying Tennessee. Nico may be awesome and Pearce is a great pass rusher but there is a legitimate talent gap between the rest of that roster and the top of the SEC. They are kind of like Ole Miss without the infusion of transfer portal talent. LSU will be a fun team to watch but I think USC, Ole Miss, A&M, Alabama, Oklahoma will yield 3 losses. A&M has a super weak schedule when comparing to other teams but their thin depth and injury risk does not align very well with where most of their important games land on the schedule. They are lucky Notre Dame lost its LT but a healthy Riley Leonard is going to suck for them to deal with, they get Florida early before that brutal schedule kicks in, they get Arkansas early enough where the team is still fighting for Pittman's job, Missouri before they have to dig too deep into their depth, then LSU, Auburn, and Texas all in the back half. I'll take Texas as the champ because I'm a homer but I'll bet that Texas and UGA split the game in Oct and the SEC championship. Champ: Texas

Indy- I think Notre Dame is going to get in because I think they have a 10-2 floor and chaos in the ACC and Big 12 make it so there is not obvious replacements for them.

G5- Liberty is a popular pick because of the schedule quality but I'm not going to take them. I thought it would be Boise but the top of the MWC could be scrappy and complicate things for them. Probably a crapshoot but I'll put Miami (OH) in there to mix it up.

PLAYOFF TEAMS (no order)

1. Miami

2. Utah

3. Ohio St

4. Texas

5. Notre Dame

6. Miami (OH)

7. Georgia

8. Ole Miss

9. Alabama

10. Oregon

11. Penn St

12. Michigan

Since this is a lazy prediction thread with no prize money, I guess anyone throwing their picks out there through Thursday afternoon is fine. 

Here's the tally as best as I could count it right now:

Alabama - 15

Arizona - 1

Boise State - 4

Central Florida - 1

Clemson - 8

Florida State - 7

Fresno State - 1

Georgia - 18

Iowa - 2

Kansas State - 9

Liberty - 4

LSU - 4

Memphis - 6

Miami - 8

Miami (OH) - 1

Michigan - 10

Missouri - 5

North Carolina State - 5

Notre Dame - 13

Ohio State - 17

Ole Miss - 10

Oklahoma - 1

Oklahoma State - 6

Oregon - 17 

Penn State - 13

Tennessee - 1

Texas - 19

Texas San Antonio - 1

Texas Tech - 1

Utah - 15

Virginia Tech - 2

31 programs out of 135 possible were selected at least once. 

Now that the pundits have made their expertise available I can chime in.

image.png.c90df99c3f387533081911afeaa7ec63.png

G5: Texas State (ignoring both and adding my own ridiculousness)

ACC: Miami vs VTech - VTech champ

BIG XII: Utah vs West Virginia - WV champ

SEC: Texas vs Georgia - Hook'em (F the pundits)

B1G: Oregon v Ohio State - Oregon

Power 2 Losers: Georgia, Ohio State

Common Pundit Picks: Utah, Ole Miss, Michigan

Aggy Tears: Notre Dame

Lol: Oklahoma