Oldies

Wiler77

I am an unapologetic lover of oldies music.  I'm talking 50's and 60's music.  I grew up in the 80's listening to Oldies 94.5 in Houston while riding with my dad, and to this day I love the music of that generation.  I find myself listening to oldie stations on Sirius more than any other music because it just puts me in a good mood.  Curious what some of your favorite songs are from that era.  Here are a few I've heard the past few days that even my kids had to admit they liked.  I could post the entire Beatles and Stones catalog, but I'll keep my selections to other artists, as there are many to choose from.

BTW, I had no idea Steve Winwood was in Spencer Davis group until I looked this song up.  Of course he is.  It sounds just like him.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Probably told this before, but Dallas station KLUV 98.7 was always in my rotation as a teen and young adult and especially so because it was the longest-lasting station between Dallas and Austin.  So I got a healthy dose of that music and have always enjoyed it.

ETA:  KLUV remains an "oldies" station (mostly, it has flipped format briefly a couple of times), but "oldies" now means 80-90s. 😬😬

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I could go for days, so will try to limit myself.  Back when I was around 10 or so (1976), we got this collection, 4 record box, actually bought one off of ebay a couple of years ago, still holds up.

Also, when I was in high school, there was a mail order company called Sound Choice.  Had a catalog with tons of 50's and 60s songs, you could pick 12 for like 5 buck or so, send your order in and they would send you a cassette back with your songs on it.  Really cool.  

(Stupid formatting, since I can't insert images and then keep typing, I'll add some of my favorite tunes in a separate post...)

rock n roll.jpg

rnr2.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

Anyway, just a tiny sampling of some of my faves.  I actually have a folder on a hard drive of mp3s, Top 40 rock and pop hits chronoligically from basically the dawn of rock and roll (the first one is from 1951, the Five Keys "Glory of Love") up to the end of 1999.  About 6200 songs, kind of a history of rock and roll.  

A few faves:

LOVE Fats Domino:

This sax solo just rips:

The way this one just builds, damn

Sixties?  Ok

Very first Beach Boys single:

Sound familiar?  (Hey Monkees, where'd you get that theme song from?)

Uno mas - I've posted this one before.  Classic Brian Wilson, easily a pre-cursor to Pet Sounds, great Wrecking Crew backing.  Given to Glen Campbell as a "thank you" for Glen helping out on tour when Brian was having panic attacks from flying.  Can easily hear Brian singing this one, and in fact you can hear him on the background vocals.

• Hook 'Em 2

One additional post - if you are really into the history of rock and roll, I cannot recommend this podcast strongly enough - you will learn not just the stories behind the songs, but how songs develop, all the insiders behind the bands, managers, money men, etc and how they all intertwine.  It takes a while to get used to the host's delivery style, but seriously you will learn a ton of shit you did not know about the music business..  I listen on Spotify but you can listen at the website as well, and you really do need to start at the beginning and work your way forward to get the full impact of the influence of styles and people from one song to another...

https://500songs.com/

• Hook 'Em 1

Lots of great songs so far.  Can't believe I didn't post Yakety Yak.

Oh man...Everly Brothers.  Love those dudes.  My dad wore out the Everly Brothers around the house and in the car, and I never got tired of it.  Can't help but belt this one out when it comes on.

Good call on Dave Clark Five.  This is probably my favorite.

• Hook 'Em 1

also grew up listening to 98.7 kluv in dallas. was also a big fan of twine time with paul ray. have a huge oldies playlist that i listen to frequently. one of my favorites...

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

When I was in school there was a radio station that played oldies — rock ‘n’ roll/R&B from the 50’s and 60’s before the British Invasion. It lasted only a short time before they switched to a more traditional classic rock format but I loved it while it lasted. I was starting to build a CD collection but I was also collecting oldies on 45.

Here are a couple faves no one’s posted yet. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)

Let's do a little street corner singing, doo wop baby:

goddam I love this song:

Seriously had no idea this was 4 white boys from Canada, it kicks ass:

All these songs had the same chord structure (I-vi-IV-V), same goes for the classic 12-bar blues progression, but damn they all sound good:

Edited by UTCzech III
music theory and shit
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

When I was a little kid, my parents had Runaway on a 45.  They had plenty of other records that I can't recall, but I loved this song.  I played it over and over.  Just listened for the first time in decades and its still great.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Great thread full of memories!

Beach Boys were awesome along with many others. 
Wine Wine Wine by the Nightcaps was one of my favorites in high school.

That was on the jukebox at the Dairy Queen when I was in high school and was one of the favorite plays.  When our radio station played them, they weren't yet oldies.  🙂

Edited by abuelo gringo
  • Hook 'Em 1