Donating vehicle to charity?

So my son has an older pickup that I was planning on selling and getting him a newer one for a graduation present in the spring. It overheated this week and the verdict is a leaking radiator, with recommendation to replace the hoses as well because it's a 12 yo truck and they are likely to go sooner than later. Also thermostat is dead from the overheating.

Also will probably need at least front brakes as well before the spring. It's a 12 yo GMC with 180K miles, so I am figuring a lot of wear and tear / age issues are going to be coming up in the near future. I have no interest in DIY stuff other than oil changes, and don't want to put any more money into this vehicle. Trying to sell a truck that you can't let anyone test drive seems like a PITA, so I'm thinking about donating it for a tax deduction. 

Questions for those who may have done this, or in general sold a non running vehicle. 

What is the best org to donate to? ideally I would like it to go to one that will fix it and give it to a family in need, not just sell it at auction for $

How much can you safely deduct? I read that it's supposed to be "fair market value," but also that you can deduct up to 5K without an independent appraisal. 

The service writer has a buddy that wants to buy it (I think it's a pretty good truck for someone who can do the labor themselves--can get it running for not much in parts and fix other shit if/when it comes up), but wants me to suggest a price rather than making an offer for it

Any thoughts/suggestions? 

TIA

I've donated a couple older vehicles which weren't worth the expense of fixing or the hassle of selling.  It's been a few years, but my experience was pretty simple.

The FMV thing got changed a few years ago, and you'll now get a deduction only for what it sells for at auction.  So the days of donating a total POS for an cushy $5k deduction are gone, unless you just want to avoid the hassle (it really is simple).  Mine both brought well less than that at auction, but I was fine with getting them out of my driveway and at least a meager donation to something I love (KUTX in this instance).  I'm pretty sure, BTW, that most of the donation programs just contract the process out to a handful of companies that do the actual pickup and auction process, so just pick a decent cause.  Maybe @immamac should sign up for this and offer you a free mousepad or koozie on top of it.

I didn't look into finding anyone who would fix it and donate it to someone in need, but I would guess that if you're not enthusiastic about the hassle of repairs, it's going to be hard to find any organization that is either.  If that's important to you, I wonder if you could find an auto shop program at a disadvantaged high school that would be interested in taking it on as a student project, although I have no idea if that would come with a tax deduction.  Maybe you could talk Southlake into naming an athletics ice bath after your family, or you could get your practice logo on a metal detector at Carter.

I think the obvious answer here is to sell it to the service writer's buddy for tree-fiddy, then add another level to your next fusion and make up the difference. 😜

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Make a large "En Venta" sign, sell it for 2 grand, and donate the money to your favorite charity.   Everybody wins. 

I thought saying a guy at the shop wanted to buy it implied “en venta”

4 hours ago, Damor said:

think the obvious answer here is to sell it to the service writer's buddy for tree-fiddy, then add another level to your next fusion and make up the difference

Add on levels don’t pay what they used to 😢

I did find one company online that says they fix the vehicles to donate to families and if they are able they send you an actual fmv for tax purposes. Don’t know how to figure out if it’s a scam though.  If the guy at the shop doesn’t want it and the program is legit that’s what I’ll do

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

I thought saying a guy at the shop wanted to buy it implied “en venta”

Add on levels don’t pay what they used to 😢

I did find one company online that says they fix the vehicles to donate to families and if they are able they send you an actual fmv for tax purposes. Don’t know how to figure out if it’s a scam though.  If the guy at the shop doesn’t want it and the program is legit that’s what I’ll do

I don't know shit about fuck about your family dynamic.  But, a young man, in these days of YouTube videos, should be able to make these repairs himself.  It will be a great learning experience for him. A confidence builder.  Check rockauto.com for the parts, and let him do the install.  Nothing here is rocket science.   If he's not a dumbshit, he should be able to figure it out.  

1 minute ago, Gil Bang said:

I don't know shit about fuck about your family dynamic.  But, a young man, in these days of YouTube videos, should be able to make these repairs himself.  It will be a great learning experience for him. A confidence builder.  Check rockauto.com for the parts, and let him do the install.  Nothing here is rocket science.   If he's not a dumbshit, he should be able to figure it out.  

lol no

lol no

He’s going to a&m?