Tips for 55+ visiting Austin?

Hoots

Our annual boys get away weekend is in Austin for the UTSA game. None of us have been to Austin - mostly east coasters. 55+ year old crew of six.

Staying near convention center (near East Austin?) and heading to the game Saturday night.

We hope to hit the bars Fri and Sat night, booze, hear live music, chase women, gamble and recover watching NFL all day on Sunday. Any recommendations for good bars and where to watch NFL games? Any suggestions for must sees on Saturday before the game? Thanks in advance! 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

2 hours ago, Hoots said:

We hope to hit the bars Fri and Sat night, booze, hear live music, chase women, gamble and recover watching NFL all day on Sunday. Any recommendations for good bars and where to watch NFL games? Any suggestions for must sees on Saturday before the game? Thanks in advance! 

You want the Golden Nugget or the Stardust on 183 by the airport.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Hoots said:

Our annual boys get away weekend is in Austin for the UTSA game. None of us have been to Austin - mostly east coasters. 55+ year old crew of six.

Staying near convention center (near East Austin?) and heading to the game Saturday night.

Only get tacos east of 35, from a Spanish sounding place

avoid - Torchys and taco deli, both are garbage 

Franklin bbq is still the king 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

This. Don't listen to any suggestion of Taco Deli.

6 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Franklin bbq is still the king 

4 hours ago, Deej said:

This. Don't listen to any suggestion of Taco Deli.

I am on the same wave length but it's just a name brand that's easy to get in town. Breakfast tacos aren't some insane culinary adventure. Taco deli is fine for visitors and easy to find. 

• Like 1

55+? Maybe try a bingo hall? J/K I’m 53 and still party with friends regularly. Posse East pregame was a great call. There ain’t many old school places like it left. It’s pretty nostalgic to the 70’s beer joints that have mostly died out.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Hoots said:

Get some Texas barbecue for lunch.  Micklethwait Craft Meats*, Terry Blacks Barbecue, LA BBQ will all have some wait, but nothing like Franklin Barbecue. 

*my choice

Just now, Jerry Callo said:

Get some Texas barbecue for lunch.  Micklethwait Craft Meats*, Terry Blacks Barbecue, LA BBQ will all have some wait, but nothing like Franklin Barbecue. 

*my choice

You can order franklins in advance and not wait in line if you have a big enough order. 

1 minute ago, immamac said:

You can order franklins in advance and not wait in line if you have a big enough order. 

*Franklin.  That's a good point and not a bad idea, but I would order now because Saturday and Sunday pre-orders will fill up fast for a game weekend.  I would probably still do Micklethwait, though.

11 minutes ago, immamac said:

I always go to mickelthwait, but Franklin is the way to go. Haha the 's didn't make it on the last post. 

So long as we're on the same page that OP and buddies must get good Texas barbecue while here.

Now I have to go to Micklethwait today.  For me it's like Beetlejuice - I say a barbecue place three times and then I have to go.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, immamac said:

Taco deli is fine for visitors and easy to find. 

Hell, I live here and will never turn down a migas or otto taco from taco deli for breffis. 

Edited by Blotto
  • Hook 'Em 1

Real talk, keep an eye on the weather and hydrate. Yeah yeah I know light beet is mostly water. But really, it'll still be hot mid-September, liable to be 90 degrees and muggy at evening kickoff. It could also be fairly pleasant, mid-September to mid-October is really schizo season. Probably won't be super well acclimated to that kind of heat, at that time of year, coming from the east coast.

El Chilito is a really good breakfast taco/burrito/coffee joint, couple locations just east of 35. White people-ified, but good.

You guys are awesome! Thanks for all the helpful advice, esp imammac.

Deep eddy pool ...definitely was not planning on swimming and I doubt I can convince these guys to go. In fact, I'll probably get torched for proposing to visit a "bath house", but it might be good option considering the TX heat. 

TX barbecue is on the list, for sure. Thanks for the suggestions. Placing orders in advance? Wow, ok. Good to know. I figured we could just walk up and order.  

Good tip re: heat, gmr! I was originally disappointed with the 6pm kick, but then I realized its for my own good. 

47 minutes ago, Hoots said:

I'll probably get torched for proposing to visit a "bath house", but it might be good option considering the TX heat. 

Not sure where you got the idea it's a bath house.  It's a pool. https://www.austintexas.gov/department/deep-eddy-pool

More odd is why someone would suggest Deep Eddy over Barton Springs.  https://www.austintexas.gov/department/barton-springs-pool

1 hour ago, Hoots said:

You guys are awesome! Thanks for all the helpful advice, esp imammac.

Deep eddy pool ...definitely was not planning on swimming and I doubt I can convince these guys to go. In fact, I'll probably get torched for proposing to visit a "bath house", but it might be good option considering the TX heat. 

TX barbecue is on the list, for sure. Thanks for the suggestions. Placing orders in advance? Wow, ok. Good to know. I figured we could just walk up and order.  

Good tip re: heat, gmr! I was originally disappointed with the 6pm kick, but then I realized its for my own good. 

There are places you can walk up and order bbq but if you’re in Austin you might as well try the best. 

6 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

*my choice

The only time I went to michlethwait, they served me brisket that was completely DAF.  It wouldn't have been much different to eat a bowl of sand.  I see no reason to go back.  The frito pie was far superior to the brisket. 

1 hour ago, Mittens said:

Not sure where you got the idea it's a bath house.  It's a pool. https://www.austintexas.gov/department/deep-eddy-pool

More odd is why someone would suggest Deep Eddy over Barton Springs.  https://www.austintexas.gov/department/barton-springs-pool

Because Barton Springs will be a full day commitment not a pull up jump in look at some hotties grab a beer on the way out stop on a Saturday morning. 

Its not just a run of the mill pool @Hoots its cool year round even when its 100+ outside. Its a pretty cool place on top. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Deep Eddy Pool -> Pool Burger for a bite -> Deep Eddy Saloon for some pitchers. 

That's honestly the best reasoning for choosing Deep Eddy Pool over Barton Springs.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Mittens said:

That's honestly the best reasoning for choosing Deep Eddy Pool over Barton Springs.

We used to do it with our kids and another family on summer weekends. Guys watch the kids at the pool for a shift while wives go for a round at PB and then switch and my buddy and I would down a quick pitcher at Saloon. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, immamac said:

Blasphemy. 

Harsh!  They do a good job there from my experience.  I'm not gonna tell folks to stand in line at Franklin's.  I take it that you are a big Mickelthwaite or Stiles Switch fan? 

Edited by DalTxHornFan

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

*my choice

It’s been awhile, but LA Bbq used to be damn good 

easily JM quality 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 1

Don’t listen to these guys. You want to stay at the domain. Lots of good shopping and restaurants and bars all in one location.

For bbq there will be a Rudy’s nearby on 183. Or pokejoes. Less of a wait for good bbq

On Sunday go to Dave and busters for NFL since it’s nearby

Austin has invested a lot of money to make it bike and pedestrian friendly so you can easily bike and walk wherever you need to go

Plus, that time of year the weather should be great for biking etc

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, immamac said:

Blasphemy. 

Nah, it's good enough.  Better than Rudy's, almost no wait like the elite joints.  I seriously doubt a bunch of dudes who have never been to Austin are gonna want to wait hours in line for the best of the best during their Hangover reenactment weekend.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, ztejas said:

T Black's will blow anything north of the Mason Dixon out of the fucking water. 

This. No offense to OP but they probably won’t recognize the difference between good and great Texas BBQ unless they’ve had it a few times. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Deep Eddy Pool -> Pool Burger for a bite -> Deep Eddy Saloon for some pitchers. 

Pool Burger is overpriced, overrated mediocrity.

Cedric The Entertainer GIF by CBS

Edited by gmr548

Posted (edited)

Hit up Lala's Little Nugget for some stiff drinks and Christmas 24/7/365 atmosphere.  I can't believe I'd never gone to this place until a couple of years ago. 

Us: It's a Christmas-themed bar.

Uber Driver: Get tha fuck outta hear.

My buddy: It's right up there.  Not to put too fine a point on it, but it's the place with the Santa's sleigh on the roof.

https://www.lalasaustintexas.com/

Edited by dcbc

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

This is a very Austin authentic plan. Bravo. 

I thought this was just kind if a given when saying "deep eddy pool" but I now see how that could mean go to this swimming pool for an outsider haha. 

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

I must push back on the concept of going to either Taco Deli or Tochy’s. Those places are ass and give Austin a bad name in tacos. And the comment about Taco Deli Migas being a good idea is blasphemy. I have no skills in life but one. I am the definitive authority on Migas. And Taco Deli Migas are absolute garbage, some of the worst crap ever offered on a plate. 

• Hook 'Em 1