Week 1, 2024 - Colorado State @ Texas

Wulaw Horn

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

2) This team is going to be awesome. I know we had 11 guys drafted last year. I set the over under at 9.5 and took the over and @Bevoand a couple other people mocked me. There was no mocking come draft day. This team is more talented at more important places. I’d setting the O/U at 13.5 and taking the over. It’s possible that we have every single starting offensive player drafted off this team. I wouldn’t expect it but I’d actually suspect 7 or 8. And, the defense just got done outplaying the offense in camp. Think about that. 

Can you search it? That doesn't sound like me so I'm kind of curious.

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Can you search it? That doesn't sound like me so I'm kind of curious.

Search function on here is awful. I set the over under at 8.5 and bet over. People scoffed. I said that the following could get drafted (if they went) Whittington, Watts, Crawford, Thompson and Robinson. 
People focused on me saying Crawford could get drafted as a special teams guy because one team like him as an afterthought with me saying something like “hurr durr he’s guaranteed 2nd day guy”.  This went back and forth over a stupid number of pages when my main point was “bet the over on 8.5 or 9.5 or whatever the bell it was. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

18 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Search function on here is awful. I set the over under at 8.5 and bet over. People scoffed. I said that the following could get drafted (if they went) Whittington, Watts, Crawford, Thompson and Robinson. 
People focused on me saying Crawford could get drafted as a special teams guy because one team like him as an afterthought with me saying something like “hurr durr he’s guaranteed 2nd day guy”.  This went back and forth over a stupid number of pages when my main point was “bet the over on 8.5 or 9.5 or whatever the bell it was. 

1. Yes, the search engine is awful. I was hoping that it was just me who couldn't find anything. I assume @immamac knows.

2. Yes, I did argue that certain players wouldn't get drafted. For some reason above I thought you were talking about wins rather than the number of players drafted. I would assume that I said Whittington, Crawford, Thompson, and Robinson wouldn't get drafted and Watts would get drafted. I still feel that guys like Whittington and Robinson are a dime a dozen which probably means that they will be in the league 15 years.

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

1. Yes, the search engine is awful. I was hoping that it was just me who couldn't find anything. I assume @immamac knows.

2. Yes, I did argue that certain players wouldn't get drafted. For some reason above I thought you were talking about wins rather than the number of players drafted. I would assume that I said Whittington, Crawford, Thompson, and Robinson wouldn't get drafted and Watts would get drafted. I still feel that guys like Whittington and Robinson are a dime a dozen which probably means that they will be in the league 15 years.

Winning has a halo affect for guys that are fungible. That probably makes sense too 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I have nothing unique or specific to say about Colorado State. I have no opinion on them. All I know about is what I read in @Scipio’s preview- thinking Texas football ;if you haven’t bought it already do so- it’s awesome and he previews every opponent in addition to awesome writing on Texas football. 
I do have lots of opinions on this year’s this team and this program. 

1) Sark is the man. I said it before almost everyone else did- when he nailed the off-season after 5-7. I strongly suspected he would be good. When we started year 2 by playing the Alabama dynasty with a Heisman trophy winner like a peer I knew he would be good. After year 3 there’s absolutely no doubt in my mind. The only question imo is whether he maximizes his decade run like Royal with multiple championships, or if he’s snake bit like Mack brown and doesn’t fill the trophy case like be should. Because we are going to rip off double digit wins, be a playoff perennial team and get a metric shit ton of kids drafted between here and there. 

2) This team is going to be awesome. I know we had 11 guys drafted last year. I set the over under at 9.5 and took the over and @Bevoand a couple other people mocked me. There was no mocking come draft day. This team is more talented at more important places. I’d setting the O/U at 13.5 and taking the over. It’s possible that we have every single starting offensive player drafted off this team. I wouldn’t expect it but I’d actually suspect 7 or 8. And, the defense just got done outplaying the offense in camp. Think about that. 

3) the program is overall in great shape and the SEC move is going to be fun. I love that we have games with Michigan and Ohio State on the schedule. I’m going to be pissed off if these slack jawed yokels we share a conference with continue to be pussies and insist on an 8 game schedule. A 9 game SEC schedule, mixed with a blue blood, a decent regional team and a pay for play patsy is absolute football nirvana. Like- forget the good old days we’ve never had it this good as college football fans. Texas won’t be the game that every program circles for jihad, but we will be among more peers (such that we have any) and I expect us to be running shit in short order. Just like we have everywhere else we’ve been. But hopefully with more football titles than in the big 12. 

I am so happy for game week to be back. Thoughts about the season, state of the program, Colorado State or whatever else you want to talk about leading up to week 1 go here. 

Meg Ryan Love GIF by HULU

• Hook 'Em 3

Lets Go Start GIF

CSU is the little brother to a program that only won 4 games last year.  At -32.5 we we should be up significantly at half. Would this be a game worth getting some snaps for Owens? I’d expect to see Arch in the 3rd. 

• immamac changed the title to Week 1, 2024 - Colorado State @ Texas

I won't lie—I'm slightly concerned about the running game with the loss of Baxter. It obviously shouldn't be an issue against CSU, but in Week 2 at Michigan, I think we'll have some problems moving the ball on the ground. I'm not sure yet how significant this will be—our offense is still loaded everywhere else, and I think the defensive front is going to be electric. However, I do think Baxter's absence lowers the ceiling for this team. Hopefully, I'm wrong, someone steps up, or the ceiling was so high to begin with that lowering it slightly doesn't end up mattering.

16 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

I won't lie—I'm slightly concerned about the running game with the loss of Baxter. It obviously shouldn't be an issue against CSU, but in Week 2 at Michigan, I think we'll have some problems moving the ball on the ground. I'm not sure yet how significant this will be—our offense is still loaded everywhere else, and I think the defensive front is going to be electric. However, I do think Baxter's absence lowers the ceiling for this team. Hopefully, I'm wrong, someone steps up, or the ceiling was so high to begin with that lowering it slightly doesn't end up mattering.

Jerrick Gibson may well surprise if what's being said by OTF is true. Apparently, he is supposed to be the best in pass protection and he is ahead of the curve in physical development compared to most freshmen RBs. Still, a lack of seasoning at the collegiate level and familiarity with the playbook is reason enough to be concerned. IMO, Michigan's front was going to be challenging to run against even with Baxter in the fold though. Sark needs to have the team in the right frame of mind for that game. Going to be a gritty dogfight in the trenches. That and Tashard Choice needs to hammer home ball protection to the RB's. That's one aspect of coaching Stan Drayton was better at IMO.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

in Week 2 at Michigan, I think we'll have some problems moving the ball on the ground.

That could happen with Baxter. At Michigan, that could happen with Priest & Ricky. 

After Silas Bolden's 3rd TD, you won't care about the running game in Ann Arbor.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

3 minutes ago, Josef Pwag said:

That could happen with Baxter. At Michigan, that could happen with Priest & Ricky.   After Silas Bolden's 3rd TD, you won't care about the running game in Ann Arbor. 

family-guy-brian-griffin.gif

• Hook 'Em 2

Because of an August vacation off the grid, I’m less prepared than ever for the start of this season and am trying to catch up.  I did catch the RB injury situation while away.  I trust Sark with the offense completely.  I’m wondering about the other side of the ball.  Does everyone think we will struggle to replace the beef we had on the D-Line (Murphy/Sweat) because getting pressure with 4 due to those guys was a massive part of last season’s success?

18 minutes ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

Because of an August vacation off the grid, I’m less prepared than ever for the start of this season and am trying to catch up.  I did catch the RB injury situation while away.  I trust Sark with the offense completely.  I’m wondering about the other side of the ball.  Does everyone think we will struggle to replace the beef we had on the D-Line (Murphy/Sweat) because getting pressure with 4 due to those guys was a massive part of last season’s success?

I feel pretty good about the defense actually. Sark & Co addressed the needs well enough in the portal that a good rotation of bodies should yield steady, if not stellar performance. I expect great play from Alfred Collins and probably good performance from Norton, Lole, and Savea along with the rest of the interior DL roster. They will rotate interior bodies. They don't have to collapse the pocket really, if they can plug their gaps and hold, our stellar stable (emphasis added) of Edges and LB's can take care of the rest. And there is also Nance's effect to consider. He should add some disruptive wrinkles to the defense. Reports from practice were that some of his alignments caused issues for the OL at times. Pressure is more likely to come from the Edges this season and I'd expect AC to also add to that occasionally up the middle. He's so fast and athletic off the ball, he will be disruptive in his contract year.

The secondary has been talked up a good bit too, and while I'm hopeful, it's also kool-aid season. Hope they really take a step forward this season with their technique and playing the ball. Improved pressure off the Edges should help them.

• Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)

While I think we greatly out match CSU, Sark too often out thinks himself, imo. I think early on he's going stick with a script that's built to defeat Michigan and test some various run looks. While I think it is important, I think he's looking a little bit too far ahead. As Sark is very hard to move away from script and there are some 1st qtr struggles, relatively.

Ultimately, I think it results in a 1st half lead than make me and a lot of Surly twitchy. 

Then I think pure size and skill allows us to pull away in the second half. Texas wins by 3-4 touch downs but the game feels a lot closer than that for most of the duration.

Edited by BurntEyes

5 minutes ago, Funk Doctor Spock said:

We gonna skull fuck them to the tune of 65-14. This team is too talented, and Quinn is much more polished. Our red zone issues will improve as well. Year 4 for Sark, year 3 for Quinn in his system, and we're ballin' out. 

You have 17,000 posts on this site and I don't remember seeing your name before yesterday. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

Blue will burn them at least once for a long score

We score on a trick play.

CSU qb leaves game in first half

something like 42-13

Drive home and eat tacos. Watch aggy look really bad against domers

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, hookemATL said:

Blue will burn them at least once for a long score

We score on a trick play.

CSU qb leaves game in first half

something like 42-13

Drive home and eat tacos. Watch aggy look really bad against domers

Blue get 3 long runs of 30+

There is going to be some shenanigans with WR end around maybe in passes more than once.

Tacos are largely terrible in Tennessee. 🥺 

I think you're correct but watching either of those teams go off the rails is fun for me.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

The 32.5 point spread is interesting. Lots of ways Texas could control the game and still potentially not cover.

We should be able to move the ball at will against these guys. They lost quite a bit on defense.

I’ll be paying the most attention to the secondary. This is the only true Air Raid team we will play this year so it’s a unique matchup and Horton is legit at WR. If we show good communication and are contesting lots of throws, it’s a good sign. I expect CSU to be throwing underneath a ton.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 4

18 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Thinking the same. A lot of quick shots to keep their QB from dying.

I mentioned it in a thread last week but CSU allowed 13 total sacks last year.

They aren’t going to let their QB sit back and try to go through progressions.

9 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

My dad is retired in Fort Collins with his she-devil, too mean to die, bitch of a wife who happens to be a CSU alum. I'm looking forward to hanging half a hunnert on the Rams.

Then after the game call and ask to talk to her and start cussing her out and gloat! 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

Not a bad group at all for an ag school in a city famous for smelling like fertilizer

august-25-2018-colorado-state-cheerleade

1321109170423-CSU-v-CU.jpg

When i was in the army at ft carson we would go to ft collins all the time for games. lots of talent there. mostly california girls either too dumb to get into berkley and not rich enough to get into usc. but great talent. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

My dad is retired in Fort Collins with his she-devil, too mean to die, bitch of a wife who happens to be a CSU alum. I'm looking forward to hanging half a hunnert on the Rams.

Ah, "mom". 

2 hours ago, Red Five said:

You have 17,000 posts on this site and I don't remember seeing your name before yesterday. 

You can’t tell from the semi autisticness that it’s SpiderYBanana?

• Haha 4