Week 1, 2024 - Colorado State @ Texas

Wulaw Horn

2 minutes ago, oldhorn2 said:

awww....some are cute enough, but is there a cheer leader qualification up there that only girls with no tits can apply?

They have to be a certain level of athletic and they're wearing tight sports bras. That's what That's what that's going to look like without surgical help.

• Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)

Not sure I understand lowering the ceiling for this team because of the Baxter injury. I know the kid was a 5 star but he was often dinged up last year and I thought he was the 3rd best back out of the bunch. I’d be much more concerned if it was Blue that went down. I think Wisner/Gibson will be more that adequate and if not Sark can scheme around it. I don’t think any production Baxter could have given us is irreplaceable. 

Edited by SarkAfterDark
  • Hook 'Em 6

9 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Not sure I understand lowering the ceiling for this team because of the Baxter injury. I know the kid was a 5 star but he was often dinged up last year and I thought he was the 3rd best back out of the bunch. I’d be much more concerned if it was Blue that went down. I think Wisner/Gibson will be more that adequate and if not Sark can scheme around it. I don’t think any production Baxter could have given us is irreplaceable. 

I don’t analyze each player but I do know there’s a very important aspect of the RB position this discussion often overlooks, protecting the QB.

• Hook 'Em 2

Bobby mentioned Gibson is doing really well at pass protection, so that's a great sign. I have a feeling he's going to have a breakout season. Dude is built like an uncle who spent 20 years in Riker. He's a great in-between the tackles runner who can bounce it outside if need. Once he gets pass pro down completely he'll live up to his billing. I have high hopes for the kid. He and Blue should do well together, with Wisner getting a decent amount. 

I suspect Gibson will be fully immersed with the team by the time we take on ou and face fuck them and kill Arnold. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, mdleast said:

I had my son run the computer model for this game. Other than a slightly shakey defense early on, I think we will be OK

0a56b6c1249deb9def57e992f80827a7.jpg

ed191f6e2c9ef944b81953c00061cc87.jpg

So you're saying take the over? 

Also, 28 points in the 2nd quarter?? Fire PK.

Also also, 4 points in the 3rd quarter, so 2 safeties??! Fire Flood.

I imagine that's how the game thread would go.

Edited by TheBryMan81
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Baxter was the best back in the room. This is a lot like losing Brooks. It takes a while to learn contact balance inside zone. He had it down. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, texifornia said:

They have to be a certain level of athletic and they're wearing tight sports bras. That's what That's what that's going to look like without surgical help.

Spoiler

I found this somewhere else on this board:

The Most Difficult College To Try Out For Cheerleading | Fierce Board - The Voice Of Cheer
Kentucky, for one. Louisville, Alabama, UCF, NC State, and LSU are not far behind.

I don't know height/weight suggestions for the other schools but LSU states:

"While we do not have a weight or height restriction, our girls range in size from 95 pounds to 125 pounds and 4'11 to 5'3. Our guys range in size from 5'8 to 6'2 and 160 to 206. This is a typical size range and fluctuates from year to year. As long as you are adaptable to stunt with several partners you will be considered. Coed stunt experience is essential."

To me, these height/weights seem typical for many of the highly competitive coed squads - BUT like it says, they won't write you off just because you're 5'5" if you have great tumbling & stunting skills. ;)

College Cheer Leader Height Weigh Discussion

Cheer leaders are usually pretty tiny and build similar to gymnastics athletes. Pro-active No PICS you sickos, my niece at 5'6"ish and like 135-140 or so was considered way  too "big" for both. 

From spoiler above regarding LSU Cheer, not verified by me.

While we do not have a weight or height restriction, our girls range in size from 95 pounds to 125 pounds and 4'11 to 5'3.

Edit - only on Surly goes this conversation have to occur. It's why we can't have nice things.

Edited by BurntEyes
  • Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

Slightly off topic:

The weather was crappy and it was a tough day to throw, but I also wonder if the in-helmet communication has coaches thinking about slowing games down so they can talk to the QB all the way up to the 15 second mark on the play clock when communication cuts off. Add this to the running clock on first downs introduced last year. Will be interesting to monitor the first few weeks to see if a trend develops.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, oldhorn2 said:

awww....some are cute enough, but is there a cheer leader qualification up there that only girls with no tits can apply?

They deflate when they come down out of the altitude. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Slightly off topic:

The weather was crappy and it was a tough day to throw, but I also wonder if the in-helmet communication has coaches thinking about slowing games down so they can talk to the QB all the way up to the 15 second mark on the play clock when communication cuts off. Add this to the running clock on first downs introduced last year. Will be interesting to monitor the first few weeks to see if a trend develops.

Crazy to think FSU needed so much time for check down passes and run plays 

Burton

Spoiler

Steve Sarkisian and a number of players will be made available to the media following this morning’s practice.

As we move into this season, Sark will be made available every Monday and we’ll have reports from that.

Couple of notes from the weekend:

- I am told the punting job has been perhaps the most hotly contested, untalked about position competition of the summer.

Ian Ratliff and Michael Kern were said to still be going head to head into the weekend. Even Charlie Ferris had not been entirely dismissed from the competition though I have heard less about him.

- I am hearing it is more and more likely that Texas will use a platoon system for its wide receiver units, that is at least until players start making plays in real games and stand out from one another more than they have at times during fall camp.

As we’ve reported, the two primary scrimmages provided mixed results. By many accounts, Silas Bolden has been the best receiver on the receiver. But he’s also the smallest.

Johntay Cook has had a solid fall camp. Isaiah Bond and Matthew Golden have both shown flashes but consistency will be key. DeAndre Moore and Ryan Wingo have showed well, too.

Bottom line, expect Sark to create a meritocracy, as Rod Babers likes to call it. Perform on game days, you earn your way.

Perhaps Sark releases the depth chart at his presser today. But, as a reminder, he did not do that until two hours before kickoff last season.

• Hook 'Em 4

16 hours ago, Funk Doctor Spock said:

Bobby mentioned Gibson is doing really well at pass protection, so that's a great sign. I have a feeling he's going to have a breakout season. Dude is built like an uncle who spent 20 years in Riker. He's a great in-between the tackles runner who can bounce it outside if need. Once he gets pass pro down completely he'll live up to his billing. I have high hopes for the kid. He and Blue should do well together, with Wisner getting a decent amount. 

I suspect Gibson will be fully immersed with the team by the time we take on ou and face fuck them and kill Arnold. 

Wisner certainly won’t lack in willingness.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

I might actually be bold enough to bring my daughter.  She starts at University of Oregon in September, and after bringing her to Longhorn sporting events since she was a toddler, this will be our last football game together before she officially becomes a Duck.

Pics? (Of daughter, I've seen UofOregon)