Week 1, 2024 - Colorado State @ Texas

Wulaw Horn

The Insider: Intel galore on the yet-to-be-released Texas Longhorns depth chart heading into the 2024 opener

FChip Brown

Spoiler

In this week’s edition of "The Insider," we give you intel galore about the Longhorns’ yet-to-be-released depth chart, a can't-miss Crystal bBall prediction and more.

— Texas fifth-year senior center Jake Majors is still recovering from an ankle injury suffered late in fall camp.

I'm hearing Majors will start in the Longhorns' season opener against Colorado State on Saturday (2:30 p.m., ESPN). Nevertheless, Majors isn't likely to be in the game for long to ensure he's healthy for next week's game at Michigan.

Junior Cole Hutson, who started every game as a true freshman at right guard in 2022, and senior left guard Hayden Conner have been working as backups to Majors — not necessarily in that order.

In addition to being one of the smartest, most technical and best communicators/leaders on the team, here's why you should appreciate Jake Majors:

When I asked him about the team's struggles trying to finish drives with touchdowns in the red zone last season (50.82% touchdown rate, which ranked 120th in FBS), Majors talked about how it was unacceptable to have first-and-goal from the 1-yard line against Oklahoma and come away with zero points.

"Even though I wasn't in there during that play [because of an ankle injury earlier in the game], it's still a bad taste in my mouth," Majors said. "As an O-line, we've embodied the embarrassment of that and we've told ourselves, 'Never again.' It's easier said than done. You've got to go out there and have your actions prove that we're not going to allow that stuff to happen anymore."

Texas won't release a depth chart until game day Saturday, but I'm hearing the first three wide receivers on the field will be Alabama junior transfer Isaiah Bond and sophomores Johntay Cook and DeAndre Moore Jr.

Bond, Cook and Moore were all excellent in camp, and Steve Sarkisian feels strongly Cook and Moore should be rewarded for their development within the program as kids recruited by Texas out of high school.

While Bond, Cook and Moore are likely to start, I'm hearing no one had a better fall camp than Oregon State graduate transfer Silas Bolden.

Silas Bolden had his first practices as a Longhorn when camp opened and he made a strong first impression. All indications are that he finished strong and should have a major role on offense for Texas in 2024.

"Bolden could easily be in the starting lineup," a source close to the situation told Horns247.

Steve Sarkisian has said he trusts six receivers (Bond, Cook, Moore, Bolden, Houston junior transfer Matthew Golden and true freshman Ryan Wingo), five of whom can play inside and outside (Wingo is primarily outside).

If Sarkisian rolls out three receivers at a time, you'd have Bolden, Golden and Wingo subbing for Bond, Cook and Moore.

"The ones who start may not be the ones getting the most touches," a source said.

Sarkisian has also praised redshirt freshman Ryan Niblett, who's learning the running back position in addition to his role as a wide receiver. Eventually, Sarkisian will reward Niblett with some plays called for him because of his hard work and sacrifice in taking on a dual role.

In some ways, Saturday's game against Colorado State is an audition by UT's half-dozen wideouts to stay in Sarkisian's circle of trust heading to Michigan. That's when you'll see if the rotation stays at six or shrinks.

Longhorn Nation will be watching right tackle Cameron Williams to see how the offense's new starting right tackle performs. The Duncanville product is taking over for Christian Jones, who is now with the Arizona Cardinals.

Williams, listed at 6 feet 5 inches and 335 pounds (down from 369 last season), has been better in pass-blocking against bigger defensive ends than he has against speed rushers. One team source said Williams has improved "a lot" as a run blocker, but added that Williams and right guard DJ Campbell "are still working" on their communication.

Jaydon Blue stepped up in a big way late last season after Jonathon Brooks went down with a knee injury. In 2024, the Longhorns need Blue to be the bell cow in the backfield following CJ Baxter's injury. (Photo: John David Mercer, USA TODAY Sports)

Running back Jaydon Blue, who became RB1 when sophomore CJ Baxter (knee) was lost for the season on the first day of full pads in fall camp, said this week he's ready to carry the ball "20 to 25 times" or "be more of a receiver type."

"I'm just willing to do whatever the team needs," Blue said.

Blue played at 191 pounds last season. He said Monday that he's now at 205 pounds.

"The main thing is just me putting on weight," said Blue, who turned to steady servings of red meat to help put on the pounds. "I knew that was something I was going to have to do in order to play at this level and to be able to run between the tackles."

Several sources said Blue is hungry to prove himself as the lead back with sophomore Tre Wisner serving as RB2. But those sources said not to expect Blue to get overworked on Saturday.

"Need him fresh next week [at Michigan]," one source said.

Running backs coach Tashard Choice has full faith in Wisner, who will surprise a lot of people this season "as a rising star," according to a team source.

"Fans will be talking about him as a go-to guy by the end of the season," the source said. "Tre is tough, runs tough, runs violent, [has a] good stiff-arm and is hard to bring down with good speed and good hands."

Here is some positive news at running back following a cruel fall camp for the position room: True freshman Jerrick Gibson (5-10, 205) has been rising to the occasion.

Texas has needed Jerrick Gibson to step up with the running back room losing two scholarship players to season-ending injuries during camp.

"He has worked his ass off on pass protection and knowing where the free defender is coming from and then squaring 'em up," a team source said.

Gibson was ahead of freshman Christian Clark at the time of Clark's non-contact, season-ending Achilles tear. Clark's injury came five days after Baxter was injured during a contact period.

The source said the coaches trust Gibson and that he'll likely play quite a bit on Saturday.

"The team needed him to step up, and he is," the source said.

I'm not sure if walk-on running backs Colin Page (a junior from Austin Anderson) or Reid Watkins (Fort Worth All Saints) will play much if at all this season.

However, several sources praised Page and Watkins for their performances during fall camp. Both scored touchdowns during the team's first two fall camp scrimmages.

"Colin Page is a really, really good dude and one of the hardest workers on the team," Hayden Conner said. "I keep telling him, 'Just keep working.' He's going to get a shot."

— Before we move onto the defense, let's talk about Quinn Ewers for a moment...

It was an offseason of commercial celebrity for Ewers, repping everything from Hulu and EA Sports "College Football 25" to the Davis Law Firm ("444-4444!") as well as playing Dr. Pepper-wielding Fansville "Deputy Quinn Ewers" alongside sheriff/former Oklahoma linebacker Brian Bosworth.

The Fansville commercial, dubbed "Calling For Backup," features Ewers refusing Bosworth's call for backup with a hilarious joke referring to teammate Arch Manning.

"We don't need any backup," Ewers says. "Even if he has great hair and famous relatives."

Quinn Ewers enters what should be his last season as a Longhorn as a Heisman Trophy candidate. He's grown as a leader and is prepared to lead Texas into the SEC.

So, I asked several team sources to characterize Ewers' fall camp and preparation for the season.

Here's what they said:

— "Totally locked in."

— "Worked really hard to gain chemistry with his receivers and has shown incredible leadership."

— "Has cleaned up his footwork and technique in the pocket."

— "The team totally believes in him and will play for him."

— "If these receivers are as good in games as they've been in camp, Quinn is going to have really fast, really fresh wideouts going against worn-out DBs in the second halves of games, when it matters most. It could be a really big year for him."

Ewers was asked if he has used the end of last year's College Football Playoff semifinal loss to Washington as motivation for this season:

"I've definitely thought about it," Ewers said. "I mean, I'm a human being, and I understand what happened. But it's tough to look back on games like that. I think it adds a little bit of motivation, and added motivation over the offseason, for sure. But I try not to focus on it too much."

Defensively, I'm hearing some interesting things about the back seven.

Don't be surprised to see Jahdae Barron and Jaylon Guilbeau on the field together — a lot — interchanging at nickel and corner depending on the matchups.

Malik Muhammad will be the starter at boundary corner. When Barron or Guilbeau isn't at field corner, you'll see senior Gavin Holmes as well as reps for junior San Jose State transfer Jay'Vion Cole and redshirt freshman Warren Roberson.

You'll probably see true freshmen Kobe Black and/or Wardell Mack play at least one series on Saturday at cornerback.

Michael Taaffe might start in the opener against Colorado State, but there figures to be a good rotation at safety between Taaffe, Derek Williams, Andrew Mukuba and Jelani McDonald.

At safety, don't be surprised to see Michael Taaffe and Derek Williams Jr. start the game and then rotate Clemson junior transfer Andrew Mukuba and sophomore Jelani McDonald.

Taaffe is one of the players on defense the coaches have given helmet communication to along with linebacker Anthony Hill Jr.

"Taaffe knows his stuff and can communicate it at a high level," one team source said. "Mukuba knows his stuff, too, and will play a lot. So will Jelani."

The revamped Texas pass rush will be on full display Saturday because the Longhorns don't plan to sit back and drop eight against Colorado State's up-tempo, Air Raid passing attack. So, you'll see if UTSA junior transfer EDGE Trey Moore, the American Athletic Conference Defensive Player of the Year last year with 14.5 sacks, can have the same kind of impact at Texas that he had in Group of Five football.

You'll see the bend and dip of five-star true freshman edge Colin Simmons.

You'll see the first game action for redshirt freshman Colton Vasek, who got the nickname "Baby Bosa" from Christian Jones before Vasek suffered a back injury that sidelined him all of last season.

Of course, you'll also see senior Barryn Sorrell, the team's unquestioned leader on defense, along with juniors Ethan Burke, last year's sack leader (5.5), and Justice Finkley.

"Sorrell, Burke and Moore are going to play a lot this season," a team source said.

Don't be surprised to see Burke lining up as an interior lineman at times on Saturday because of his exceptional arm length (83-inch wingspan). If Texas can't get to the quarterback, the Longhorns will look to use their length inside — Burke, 6-foot-5-inch Alfred Collins and 6-foot-6-inch Bill Norton — to get arms up and bat passes.

The Colorado State game will be the first for Anthony Hill Jr. and David Gbenda as the starting linebacker tandem for the Longhorns. (Photo: Jordan Scruggs, 247Sports)

At linebacker, there might not be as much rotating as you'll see at some of the other positions, especially during next week's game against Michigan, sources said.

"It'll probably be Ant Hill and David Gbenda on the field a lot together," a source said. "I don't know if you can afford to take them off the field yet, especially next week [at Michigan] because Gbenda can play both middle and weakside linebacker. So, when Ant [Hill] moves into pass-rush mode, Gbenda can hold down the middle."

Look for Hill to be in pass-rush mode rather than in pass-coverage mode on Saturday.

Crystal Ball prediction for a five-star target

Steve Sarkisian and the Longhorns have already landed one five-star prospect in August. Could Michael Terry III join Jonah Williams in the 2025 Texas recruiting class?

Texas hopes to get good news on the five-star front Friday morning when wide receiver Jaime Ffrench announces his decision on the 247Sports YouTube channel bright and early at 7:25 a.m. The Longhorns are trending, and have been since the spring.

But what about another five-star, the nation's No. 1 athlete in the 2025 recruiting cycle, Michael Terry III?

As we've written here several times, the Alamo Heights product has been expected to decide in late August, or at least before the start of his senior season on Sept. 6. Checking with sources over the last few days, that still appears to be the case, and, assuming Ffrench ends up with the Longhorns on Friday, Terry might not be too far behind.

Sources believe he's still closing in on a decision and that the Longhorns are still trending in the right direction for the 6-foot-3, 217-pound do-it-all athlete who will likely be featured on offense should he pick Texas.

I'm joining Horns247's Jordan Scruggs (who put his in on July 1) with a 247Sports Crystal Ball prediction for Terry in favor of Texas

Oregon and Nebraska are seen as Texas' biggest competition for Terry, but, if you ask me, the Longhorns are pushing all the right buttons in this one to ultimately win out. — HANK SOUTH

As Steve Sarkisian and almost every Longhorn defensive player made available for Monday's availability said, a large focus of the Texas defensive game plan against Colorado State centers around slowing down the Rams' star wide receiver Tory Horton.

Former Middle Tennessee State coach Rick Stockstill faced Horton in consecutive seasons, going 1-1 against Colorado State.

In those games, Horton combined to catch 19 passes for 285 yards and five touchdowns against the Blue Raiders.

"We knew going into those games how talented of a receiver he is," Stockstill told Horns247. "We were up [34-0] against them and he almost brought them back with three touchdown catches in the second half."

For a retooled Texas secondary, following Sarkisian's plan to properly defend Horton — know where he is at all times, win battles when he gets to the top of routes and get him on the ground — must be followed. While the 6-foot-3-inch, 195-pounder can win when competing for 50/50 balls (according to Pro Football Focus he made eight contested catches last season on 14 attempts, good for a 57.1 percent contested catch rate), Horton was one of college football's most productive slot receivers in 2023.

According to PFF, Horton had 31 catches on 40 targets from the last season, good for 510 yards and four touchdowns. Horton recorded 4.18 yards per route run, 9.7 yards after the catch per reception, an average depth of target of 7.0 yards and forced 10 missed tackles (those metrics were among the best in the country last season among wideouts who played in the slot).

Horton is one Ram who can make Texas pay for a blown assignment or unsound technique. Stockstill said Horton amplifies as a Colorado State Air Raid offense that's tough to defend before putting a sure-fire NFL draft pick on the perimeter.

"Communication is key against him and that offense as a whole because they're so dynamic in the way they run their scheme," Stockstill said. "He's big, physical and once he gets the ball in his hands, he can run away from the whole defense." — ERIC HENRY

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, Red Five said:

This is interesting. I wonder if this is more a reflection on the play of Hutson and Neto, or that of Campbell.

I would guess that with reports of the defense using more movement across the front that Campbell is still struggling with stunts, but again just a guess. 

35 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

"Sorrell, Burke and Moore are going to play a lot this season," a team source said.

Hot. Take. 

Who else is going to play a lot Chip? Anthony Hill? Quinn Ewers? 

Edited by Red Five
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Getafix said:

This guy's gonna kill it.  Or kill someone.

Have we programmed certain trigger phrases in to his brain Manchurian Candidate style?

• Hook 'Em 4

4 hours ago, Red Five said:

This is interesting. I wonder if this is more a reflection on the play of Hutson and Neto, or that of Campbell.

Considering they said Campbell is more at risk than Hayden Conner, I’d say it’s of a poor reflection on Campbell.

The fact that none of Hutson, Neto or Campbell appear better than Conner in camp also seems like a bad sign. Conner was pretty bad last year. 

• Rage+1 1

What I know about CSU

WR Tory Horton is a legit NFL guy arguably the best WR on the field for either team

QB Fowler-Nicolosi is solid not great

They try to lull you to sleep with quick short passes and hit you with a bomb down field

Fowler-Nicolosi had 17 interceptions last season, so we’ll have opportunities for picks

Running game is virtually non existent 

Their best defensive player last year was an edge rusher with 13.5 sacks got drafted last year

The strength of their defense is interior D-line

The rest of their defense to put it politely is pretty ass.

Quinn and the offense should have a big day 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

What I know about CSU

WR Tory Horton is a legit NFL guy arguably the best WR on the field for either team

They try to lull you to sleep with quick short passes and hit you with a bomb down field

Fowler-Nicolosi had 17 interceptions last season, so we’ll have opportunities for picks

Their best defensive player last year was an edge rusher with 13.5 sacks got drafted last year

Sounds like their safeties are slow but competent. Problem is, their CBs and LBs are godawful and constantly leave them exposed.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Getafix said:

This guy's gonna kill it.  Or kill someone.

He’s just going to be yelling like “Lord Humungus & Wez” in the “Road Warrior”

Coach calls in Tampa 2 split or something and Hill just starts yelling “No!!! Kill them, Kill, Kill, Kill them”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

IT team notes

Spoiler

It was a good, clean week of practice. The coaches made it hard by design to prepare them for the 2:30 heat. The team appeared dialed in and is hungry to compete. In general, there seem to be fewer mental mistakes this time of year than last year.  

One big question on offense?
The source mentioned how difficult it is because “who would have thought there would be red zone struggles last year?”

He mentioned seeing how the new transfers and young players click with the experienced player. He means on the field, not in the locker room. Everybody needs to be on the same page. On the flip side, he mentioned the O-line has played a lot together and they can’t get complacent and not communicate. “They can’t get complacent or too comfortable. No assumptions the guy next to you will pick a guy up.”

He was grasping and had to think about it. Overall, thanks to so much experience he feels confident on the offense.

How will they play in the red zone?
“Sark is so competitive and that was the one critique he heard about last year and all offseason. He’s the type that loves to prove people wrong. He’ll have it figured out.”

I could tell from practice reports we’ll see some different looks but a source said we’ll see some different calls from last year. 

The Texas head coach has thrived at making weaknesses strengths in previous years. There’s no reason to believe he won’t do it again. 

One big question on defense?
The back-end has been solid; communication has been consistently good. However, he did say the LB’s and DB’s in coverage playing together is still worth watching. He wasn’t concerned necessarily but did acknowledge it as being a reasonable question. Like on offense, he struggled to answer here.

This is a good zone team with much better ability to play man on the perimeter.  

Potential special teams stalwarts?
IT does not expect to see running back Tre Wisner on special teams much, if at all. The injuries at running back are robbing Texas of one of its best special teams weapons. However,  expect Jelani McDonald and Tyanthony Smith to be mainstays and Ryan Niblett has a chance to become a stud on coverage units. 

Any change to projected depth chart? 
One of my least favorite things is people bringing reporting from elsewhere to the board. Trust me, I understand it, but if I was hearing what others were reporting then that’s what I would report. I cannot tell you how many times this has happened and were right the whole time. 

Rumors abound that DJ Campbell might not start. Per our sources, he’s starting. Rumors abound, and these are seemingly comical, that Jahdae Barron might not start. I have him starting at boundary corner with Jaylon Guilbeau at Star and Malik Muhammad at field. Maybe, maybe, the field-boundary relationship is off but those are your starting cornerbacks. 

In addition, everyone seems to have differing wide receiver groups. Our info continues to point to Isaiah Bond and Matthew Golden as outside receivers and DeAndre Moore in the slot. 

None of this really matters because all these dudes are going to play early and often, but, I might as well try and get it right.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Machinator said:

Our info continues to point to Isaiah Bond and Matthew Golden as outside receivers and DeAndre Moore in the slot. 

I would much rather see Wingo, Cook, and Bolden.

9 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Line jumped from 32 up to 34.5 in the last 36 hours

why

Me. The big money has moved in

Edited by Sal
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/29/2024 at 3:18 PM, A’Dam Psycho said:

What I know about CSU

So you’re saying we have a chance………

8 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Golden the starter while cook behind Moore is a surprise. Barron the starting corner is something of a surprise too.

Cook was what surprised me. Hopefully it's just an issue of groupings, who plays best together. Really want to seek Cook ball.

Without watching them play or practice or whatever, it feels strange to me that cook is in slot and not behind bond. Cook looked like the better player vs bond during the spring game. I hope bond and golden really show up bc they are taking some spots from some real dudes.

7 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

It just doesn't feel like football season until somebody declares the season a failure after one bad drive.

I know I’ll only feel like the season is truly underway after the first ‘Ewers sucks’ post; over/under at 2:41PM…

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1