2024 US Open tennis

Play begins at 10 am Central on ESPN+, 11 on ESPN. 

Men's draw

Sinner/Alcaraz/Medvedev up top, Novak down below with some boys. 

Women's draw

Iga & Elena on top, Aryna chillin'. 

Mirra/Osorio, Dani/Dolehide, Raducanu/Kenin, Jelena/Naomi, Putintseva/Noskova, Qinwen/Anisimova, Peyton/Tsurenko some of the fun R1 matchups. 

5 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Damn, Lulu quit. 

Perhaps she should have quit in the Quarters or Semis in Monterrey rather than in the 1st round of the US Open. 

The Grand Slams are where you fund the rest of your year.

55 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Dani C fucked around and found out. She absolutely gave away that final game with loose shots. Just piss poor. Nothing like she’s been playing all year. 

I didn’t watch, but did the USO play a retirement tribute after her match? Is she still retiring this year?

1 hour ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I didn’t watch, but did the USO play a retirement tribute after her match? Is she still retiring this year?

Collins announced in January that this would be her final season on tour, and after the match tournament director Stacey Allaster appeared on court with flowers for Collins.

However, a clearly disappointed Collins did not want to partake in an on-court presentation. Instead, she appeared to wave off Allaster and walked off court. Moments later, and still wearing her match clothes, Collins explained to reporters during her postmatch news conference that she had previously declined such an opportunity when asked. 

"I'm still in the doubles, and I had requested not to have any presentation on the court," Collins said. "I'm not somebody that likes to celebrate my accomplishments. I've struggled with feeling guilt, you know, around success, and that's something I have had to work on.

"So I'm not great, honestly, at having an all-about-me moment. I just ... would prefer to do something like that maybe in private. But I feel like I've gotten enough attention to last a lifetime."

She then compared it to a scene from the 2004 film "Meet the Fockers."

"I was kind of thinking of that movie ... where you know, Gaylord has a shrine and all his 18th-place medals," Collins said with a smile. "I don't want to be like Gaylord, so I think I'm good." 

Never change, woman. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Potato is getting rolled by Leylah, someone posted this… 

Huh, Potapova getting a coaching violation. When it rains it pours. In the final game of the first set she hit a serve out while getting a foot fault. Then on the changeover she was full out crying. And then as she’s walking to the line to receive at the start of the second set she’s getting hit with a coaching violation. Bad day at the office. 

4 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Also, what in the fuck is JPeg wearing?! 

I believe that Svitolina is also wearing the same costume.

I wonder if the clothing sponsors present 2-4 different costume options and then ask:

”Which one do you want?”

or

”Here’s your costume. If you don’t like it, don’t comment about it in any interviews.”

Osaka knocks out #10 seed Ostapenko and her reward is getting to playing to play Muchova in the second round.  Osaka looked good what little bit of it I got to see.  Iga looked terrible going for a winner or damaging shot on the first stroke way too often.  She piled up the unforced errors.  Her opponent played consistent tennis until she had 3 set points in the second set tb.  Then she lost 5 points in a row to hand Iga the second round.  Dani was off.  Not sure if it was due to this being her last US Open or what but just couldn't play with enough consistency to put Dolehide away.  I hated to see Shelby hang it up.  I've always enjoyed watching her compete even though she didn't have quite the same upside as the elite players.  Shelby and Thiem both ending their careers due to constantly battling injuries.  Thiem used to be one of the hardest hitters on tour and his balls looked average compared to Shelton's forehands.  

2 hours ago, ark_longhorn said:

Osaka knocks out #10 seed Ostapenko and her reward is getting to playing to play Muchova in the second round.  Osaka looked good what little bit of it I got to see.  Iga looked terrible going for a winner or damaging shot on the first stroke way too often.  She piled up the unforced errors.  Her opponent played consistent tennis until she had 3 set points in the second set tb.  Then she lost 5 points in a row to hand Iga the second round.  Dani was off.  Not sure if it was due to this being her last US Open or what but just couldn't play with enough consistency to put Dolehide away.  I hated to see Shelby hang it up.  I've always enjoyed watching her compete even though she didn't have quite the same upside as the elite players.  Shelby and Thiem both ending their careers due to constantly battling injuries.  Thiem used to be one of the hardest hitters on tour and his balls looked average compared to Shelton's forehands.  

The Tennis Podcast 🎾 was talking about Danielle Collins for a bit and she apparently suffered heat stroke at the Olympics and then her immune system has been rather weak since. 

They said that she’s just been focused on trying to have enough energy to practice a bit and then play in this tournament and looked absolutely exhausted at her press conference immediately after leaving the court. 

When her press conference was over, she still sat there for a bit before feeling up to actually standing up and heading to the locker room. 

She’s still playing doubles with Caroline Garcia, but it sounds doubtful that she will have enough energy for them to go very far. 

I hadn’t heard about this, but I was kind of in full Olympics mode this year after not caring for the last couple of decades or more. 

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

The Tennis Podcast 🎾 was talking about Danielle Collins for a bit and she apparently suffered heat stroke at the Olympics and then her immune system has been rather weak since. 

They said that she’s just been focused on trying to have enough energy to practice a bit and then play in this tournament and looked absolutely exhausted at her press conference immediately after leaving the court. 

When her press conference was over, she still sat there for a bit before feeling up to actually standing up and heading to the locker room. 

She’s still playing doubles with Caroline Garcia, but it sounds doubtful that she will have enough energy for them to go very far. 

I hadn’t heard about this, but I was kind of in full Olympics mode this year after not caring for the last couple of decades or more. 

I hadn't heard about the heat stroke at the Olympics.  That would definitely explain her level of play. 

I got a kick out of hearing Chris Evert (I think) commenting on Emma Raducanu against Kenin.  Evert said Emma had to talk to her coach every time they changed ends because she didn't know what to do.  It came across as "How can you be this good and not know what to do?".  Maybe that wasn't the way she intended it.

1 hour ago, ark_longhorn said:

I got a kick out of hearing Chris Evert (I think) commenting on Emma Raducanu against Kenin.  Evert said Emma had to talk to her coach every time they changed ends because she didn't know what to do.  It came across as "How can you be this good and not know what to do?".  Maybe that wasn't the way she intended it.

The Tennis Podcast has commented over the last few weeks (and today) that Raducanu chose not to try to qualify for DC, nor The Canadian Open.

They think that she really needs matches and although they are big Raducanu fans (it’s a British podcast), there is a question about just how much she cares about tennis. 

Raducanu is good, but she doesn’t need to fight for results to be able to pay for a coach and physio and… she’s financially set for a while, maybe forever. 

Posted (edited)
On 8/27/2024 at 3:33 PM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Never change, woman. 

"I'm still in the doubles, and I had requested not to have any presentation on the court," Collins said. "I'm not somebody that likes to celebrate my accomplishments. I've struggled with feeling guilt, you know, around success, and that's something I have had to work on.

And of course Collins withdrew from doubles. She went Bye Felicia 

Edited by perfectchaos007

8 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

She won't play any Asian tourneys either, so that's a wrap. 

She's always mentioned kids, but does she even have a serious boyfriend? Guess that's secondary these days with enough $. 

I thought she was in a serious relationship unless that ended. I haven’t kept up 

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

She won't play any Asian tourneys either, so that's a wrap. 

She's always mentioned kids, but does she even have a serious boyfriend? Guess that's secondary these days with enough $. 

43 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I thought she was in a serious relationship unless that ended. I haven’t kept up 

she's mentioned him a few times in public. i've always wondered what kind of guy would date and put up with her.

Edited by gsoda3