2024 US Open tennis

Damn.

At the US Open currently underway in New York, a single cocktail will surpass $10 million in sales before the tennis grand slam event ends September 8.

The drink’s sales alone could cover the combined championship prize money for both the male and female singles winner — $3.6 million each this year.

The Honey Deuce — a mix of vodka, lemonade and a raspberry liqueur, plus its signature melon balls — has become a major success for both Grey Goose and the tournament. It’s the result of a strategic marketing campaign that exploded as tennis’ popularity did. 

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/us-open-grey-goose-concocted-090020591.html

10 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

spacer.png

10 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

An American man will play in a grand slam final for the first time in 15 years, and of course DirecTV is most likely going to cause millions of Americans to not be able to watch the finals.

image.png?ex=66d92ed8&is=66d7dd58&hm=a69

And the first time since 2006 for the US Open (Roddick losing to Federer). 

10 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

I’d blame Mickey first, but either way. 

He’s a pickleball player now, never won an ATP singles or doubles title. 

6 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

that's surprising, i would've thought he had several 250s.   

He won some challenger events but yeah he had the talent to do more. Some serious helicopter parents in his life.

U.S. Open tennis is on my sports bucket list.  i gotta get there one of these days.  i'm mad at myself for not having already been there.  looks like an absolute blast at night.

i remember this day like it was last week. this was back when i was playing juniors and obsessed with tennis.

Edited by Jive Turkey

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Okay, still get some $. 

Fucking ouch, Iga. 

You can argue she’s done more with less game than most.  Her serve is terrible, ground strokes are good but really not able to finish someone.  She would outlast most, and really benefited from Ash Barty quitting when she did.

I still think Aryna is the favorite but would be cool if JPeg could win a slam.

Iga’s & Coco’s ping-pong grip forehands are ridiculous. How the rest of the tour has allowed them to win 3 Slams on hard courts is a joke. 

It is nice to see them both being discarded before the final four by serious players. 

The two of them should be routinely losing to other Top 10 players until they fix their forehands and learn how to become consistent servers. 

Popping into the thread to see what the temperature is like for these semifinal matches. I hadn't watched tennis in about 20 years since I was a kid watching the Williams sisters play at Wimbledon during my summer boredom (at my grandma's house where only broadcast TV was available). The girlfriend is a big tennis fan, and seeing as It is undefeated, I found myself invested in Wimbledon this year, and now following along to the U.S. Open. And rooting for Americans, fresh off the Olympic bug. 

Tiafoe is my favorite to watch (to these untrained eyes). I had forgotten how much talent is on the court as well. Doesn't hurt to watch Sabalenka, Paolini, Badosa, etc. But obvs I'll also be rooting for the American women today.

• Hook 'Em 1