Edith Royal (1925-2024)

TxEx84

Used to see her and DKR at the Jim's at the Y in Oak Hill back in the day all the time.  I left them alone, but DKR was fond of the Frontier burger combo. Not sure on breakfast selections.

Also saw Bob Weltlich at the Safeway on Bee Cave and Walsh Tarlton right after he got fired way back in the 80's. He was doing some light shopping and humming along to the Muzak version of Duran Duran's "The Reflex", and yes it was as pathetic as it reads.

RIP Mrs. Royal 

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)

RIP Edith Royal. No doubt, Royal was famous as a coach could get and Edith was the rock by his side. They tragically lost two kids to car accidents in 1970s. 

The final page is turned on one of the greatest coaching eras of any school... at any time ... in the history of college football.

Edith was there for all of it. 

What follows is for the younger Longhorn fans here. I recall some of the latter part of Royal era as a little tyke, the rest I got from my long-deceased dad (UT alum also). The wishbone is my first memory of a UT offense. 

Royal and Texas won 4 of the VERY BIGGEST games of the 1960s. 

-- Shut down Heisman-winner Roger Staubach and Navy in the 1964 Cotton Bowl to finish 11-0 for first national title. Score was 28-6. This was when Navy still had top teams and Staubach was a media and fan favorite. MASSIVE national TV audience. Later in life, Staubach recounted that he was hit harder by the Texas defense than pretty much any time in the pros.

-- Texas stuffed Broadway Joe Namath and Bear Bryant's Bama at the 1-yard line late in 4th quarter to win the 1965 Orange Bowl 21-17. Lergendary Tommy Nobis in on the tackle. It was the FIRST bowl game televised at night. MASSIVE national audience. 

-- Beat Arky 15-14 in the epic game to end the 1969 season. Game moved from mid-season to last game for all of college football that year, celebrating 100 years of college football. MASSIVE audience; no other games played that day. James Street/Randy Peschel heroics, plus Tom Campbell and Danny Lester with two killer INTs in 4th quarter to save and seal the game. Nixon in the house and declared UT national champs in Longhorn locker room. (Joe Paterno and Penn State pissed! Haha! Never gets old!)

-- Beat Notre Dame a few weeks later in Cotton Bowl, as the Irish decide to start playing in post-season bowls. Again, a MASSIVE TV audience. More James Street (and Cotton Speyrer) heroics on 4th down late in the game, with another Tom Campbell INT to seal the win.

-- Beginning in 1968, Wishbone revolutionized college football, which ESPN declared the most important offensive innovation of all-time. Run properly, that offense was a thing of beauty and power.

There was no coach more famous than Darrell Royal in the 1960s. Some as famous, but none more. What a freaking era of UT football! (Despite the charges of Royal-UT being racist in the late 1960s).

Because of all this Edith and Darrell met tons of famous, rich, and powerful people -- celebs, singers (like Willie), CEOs, presidents, and politicians. Royal and Edith were feted statewide by most media and UT fans. 

Edited by BevoAbyss