Artists referencing their own song

stc

Listening to records this weekend and I noticed 2 occurences of this. I'm sure there are many more...

1. Tom Petty- U Get Me High. 1:13 in the video clearly calling back to Don't Fade On Me from Wildflowers. "I remember feeling this way you can lose it without knowing. You wake up and you don't know which way the wind is blowing". 

2. Spoon- They Want My Soul. 2:17 call back to Jonathan Fisk.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm pretty sure Sting references his own songs . . . often.

"It's a big enough umbrella but somehow I always end up getting wet" appears in at least 3 songs.  Not a direct reference to himself or The Police, but cocky (or desparate) as hell.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm pretty sure Sting references his own songs . . . often.

"It's a big enough umbrella but somehow I always end up getting wet" appears in at least 3 songs.  Not a direct reference to himself or The Police, but cocky (or desparate) as hell.

The Beatles did it a fair amount as well, as indicated in a couple of the above posts.  There was also Savoy Truffle, which references Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da.  John Lennon referenced I Am The Walrus in his song "God."  Harrison referenced You Really Got A Hold On Me in When We Was Fab.

I know Madonna has put prior lyrics in one or more of her songs -- just can't recall the song(s), though.

Edited by Carl Spackler

• 3 weeks later...

There is only one band at the top of the self referential mountain and that is KMFDM.  Half their songs are about KMFDM.

This is their greatest self reference creation. It  has lyrics solely made up of their own album names, song titles, and existing lyrics...