NDA newbie question

Posted (edited)

A potential business partner and I have been putting together a business case for a US/CA distribution business.  We are looking to gain exclusive distribution rights in these geographies for a testing device supplied by an international manufacturer currently not selling this product into them.  This manufacturer does sell other devices into these geographic regions however.  We know the technology/markets well and believe this manufacturer might not be aware of the most lucrative market.  These types of devices were produced for one market however have value in a more niche yet profitable adjacent market.

We are at the point where we would like to approach this manufacturer and have some preliminary conversations about their interest.  We have no intention of revealing the adjacent market details during any initial meetings.  At some point however that information may need to be shared.  Our fear is they could take this information and simply decide to sell this product line directly.  Would an NDA help protect against that should we need to disclose our market knowledge at some point?  I will of course check with an attorney formally but thought this might be a good starting place since apparently 95% of posters here are attorneys.  

Edited by Bodhi

• Bodhi changed the title to NDA newbie question
Just now, Hank Scorpio said:

Tell me what the device and market is and I'll let you know. 

Sent a PM with this information.  Also sent my SS number and back account numbers just in case those were needed as well. 

Good question I had not considered.  They are growing at an anemic ~1.5% annually.  If we can execute against our business plan, and give them confidence of that, we should be able to increase that to 2.5% within 24 months.  My assumption is that a president of a smaller company in a mature industry would love to report to shareholders they found an additional 100 bps of growth.  They are our first choice of partner however not the only one.  Hopefully the potential revenue upside to them is material enough to sign an NDA?