Clear Your Calendars: Week One Preview

texifornia

I enjoy these threads and adding my thoughts/predictions to them. I have absolutely nailed some weekends over the years and made a complete fool of myself often enough as well. CFB is the best because it is obnoxiously hard to predict. 

Thursday:

-I know NDSU isn't what they were under Kleinman, but they are still tough in the trenches. CU has allegedly firmed things up on the OL. Why? I don't know. They lost their best OL starter to the portal and will have at least one true freshman OL starting. NDSU is a trendy/desired pick to straight up beat CU. I expect CU to win this game and I am here for it either way. If CU's OL shows signs of life, I'll start to regret buying the under on 5.5 wins this year.

-Minnesota and UNC are both sneaky teams due to schedule to make a run at a title game appearance. The Minnesota QB is a New Hampshire transfer and Fleck has been celebrating the guy as a surprise Big 10 star this year. I have no idea what to make of that. UNC is favored on the road breaking in a new QB. I like Minnesota to win. If UNC wins, they will start to register nationally as a team that could be an ACC arguing point for a second or third CFP team because of their pathetic schedule.

-Jax State has QB transfer from Furman that is getting some NFL buzz - Tyler Huff. I doubt I watch this game, but something of note for those who do.

Friday: 

-FAU/MSU - this is the kind of game that Herman has historically won. I'm taking FAU in a shocker in which people declare the Jonathon Smith Era DOA but means nothing for MSU's actual future. Herman begins building his Lane Kiffin case for a return to P4.

-OU/Temple - this game will be a blowout that tells us nothing about OU but causes Stan Drayton to begin working on his resume surreptitiously on the flight home. Temple is a bottom 10 out of 135 FBS team this year. 

-The guy at Stanford can fucking coach. Sonny Dykes on the road would concern me as a bettor. TCU wins, but the game is closer than expected. 

Saturday:

-UGa might be starting a walk-on at TB and won't have Etienne or several back-ups. They lost their two main offensive threats to the NFL. Lovett is a serviceable #3 WR and will be UGa's #1. Mike Bobo is calling plays. Great OL and Beck, but that's a lot working against UGa. Clemson's strength is a top 15, maybe much better, defense. No one is giving Clemson a chance and Dabo is being underestimated. I'm taking Clemson with the shocking upset and it still doesn't change my opinion of Clemson for the year. 

-You have transposed the rivalry between Pitt and WVU onto the game against PSU. It made me laugh to think about it, really. This one could be an upset as well. If Allard is actually the dogshit he looked like last year, WVU has more than a prayer. Vegas doesn't really think so, though, giving WVU +8 at home.

-The far better 3rd "early" game is Okie State hosting SDSU at 2E/1Central. I expect that to be a fistfight because of the way Gundy approaches the early season and due to the fact that SDSU is part of the cream of the FCS crop. 

-You summed up the Miami @ Florida game as well as one can. Whatever the fuck happens in that game should surprise no one. Someone comes out of that game with their hair and ass on absolute fire. Should be fun. 

-Michigan is going to have to actually run their playbook against Fresno. Fresno is a good G5 team, but Michigan is also replacing 18 starters and needs to actually figure out what they have. Orji is "freak athlete" in the sense that he's big and can run the ball and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn when he throws the ball. It could be an ugly win for Michigan. 

Sunday/Monday:

-Give me Lincoln Riley's offensive mind over anything LSU can counter with fat fuck Beau Baker's brother as DC. 

-Castellanos should give FSU fits. I'm not in the new "FSU is going 4-8!!" crowd and I expect FSU to win this game. That said, it's another beating for FSU while dealing with a brutal schedule. Might matter for them down the line heading to somewhere between 6-6 and 9-3.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I enjoy these threads and adding my thoughts/predictions to them. I have absolutely nailed some weekends over the years and made a complete fool of myself often enough as well. CFB is the best because it is obnoxiously hard to predict. 

Thursday:

-I know NDSU isn't what they were under Kleinman, but they are still tough in the trenches. CU has allegedly firmed things up on the OL. Why? I don't know. They lost their best OL starter to the portal and will have at least one true freshman OL starting. NDSU is a trendy/desired pick to straight up beat CU. I expect CU to win this game and I am here for it either way. If CU's OL shows signs of life, I'll start to regret buying the under on 5.5 wins this year.

-Minnesota and UNC are both sneaky teams due to schedule to make a run at a title game appearance. The Minnesota QB is a New Hampshire transfer and Fleck has been celebrating the guy as a surprise Big 10 star this year. I have no idea what to make of that. UNC is favored on the road breaking in a new QB. I like Minnesota to win. If UNC wins, they will start to register nationally as a team that could be an ACC arguing point for a second or third CFP team because of their pathetic schedule.

-Jax State has QB transfer from Furman that is getting some NFL buzz - Tyler Huff. I doubt I watch this game, but something of note for those who do.

Friday: 

-FAU/MSU - this is the kind of game that Herman has historically won. I'm taking FAU in a shocker in which people declare the Jonathon Smith Era DOA but means nothing for MSU's actual future. Herman begins building his Lane Kiffin case for a return to P4.

-OU/Temple - this game will be a blowout that tells us nothing about OU but causes Stan Drayton to begin working on his resume surreptitiously on the flight home. Temple is a bottom 10 out of 135 FBS team this year. 

-The guy at Stanford can fucking coach. Sonny Dykes on the road would concern me as a bettor. TCU wins, but the game is closer than expected. 

Saturday:

-UGa might be starting a walk-on at TB and won't have Etienne or several back-ups. They lost their two main offensive threats to the NFL. Lovett is a serviceable #3 WR and will be UGa's #1. Mike Bobo is calling plays. Great OL and Beck, but that's a lot working against UGa. Clemson's strength is a top 15, maybe much better, defense. No one is giving Clemson a chance and Dabo is being underestimated. I'm taking Clemson with the shocking upset and it still doesn't change my opinion of Clemson for the year. 

-You have transposed the rivalry between Pitt and WVU onto the game against PSU. It made me laugh to think about it, really. This one could be an upset as well. If Allard is actually the dogshit he looked like last year, WVU has more than a prayer. Vegas doesn't really think so, though, giving WVU +8 at home.

-The far better 3rd "early" game is Okie State hosting SDSU at 2E/1Central. I expect that to be a fistfight because of the way Gundy approaches the early season and due to the fact that SDSU is part of the cream of the FCS crop. 

-You summed up the Miami @ Florida game as well as one can. Whatever the fuck happens in that game should surprise no one. Someone comes out of that game with their hair and ass on absolute fire. Should be fun. 

-Michigan is going to have to actually run their playbook against Fresno. Fresno is a good G5 team, but Michigan is also replacing 18 starters and needs to actually figure out what they have. Orji is "freak athlete" in the sense that he's big and can run the ball and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn when he throws the ball. It could be an ugly win for Michigan. 

Sunday/Monday:

-Give me Lincoln Riley's offensive mind over anything LSU can counter with fat fuck Beau Baker's brother as DC. 

-Castellanos should give FSU fits. I'm not in the new "FSU is going 4-8!!" crowd and I expect FSU to win this game. That said, it's another beating for FSU while dealing with a brutal schedule. Might matter for them down the line heading to somewhere between 6-6 and 9-3.

Good point on Okie Lite / SDSU, that one will be fun. And given how much of #PittTwitter I follow I'm shocked at myself for the rivalry mixup. 

12 hours ago, texifornia said:

College football is back for real! Time to lock in.

Saturday games:

Hell yeah, this is the good stuff. Starting with...

Penn State @ West Virginia (12/11 FOX)
Backyard Brawl is BACK. If Clemson/Georgia is a prestige drama, this is soap opera football. Drama, hatred, pedophilia, burning couches. Hopefully James Franklin's Charmin-soft side comes out and lets WVU punch Penn State in the face in Morgantown.

EDIT: Whoops wrong Pennsylvania Appalachian school for that rivalry, so it's not Backyard Brawl but I'll leave it there to annoy @PittsburghTiger.

This is the game the deserves, no, demands the earth open up and rivers of hot molten lava overwhelm any and all fans, players and university officials in attendance.

lava GIF

• Haha 3
  • Drool 1

Regarding Coastal Carolina and Jax State, I forgot that Tim Beck is coaching at Coastal Carolina. They went 8-5 last year with a quality QB. Their worst record since 2019. Is it going to surprise any of us if this program plummets back below .500? I basically see it as likely. 

Dick Rod versus Tim Beck is truly a bizarro match-up.

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Regarding Coastal Carolina and Jax State, I forgot that Tim Beck is coaching at Coastal Carolina. They went 8-5 last year with a quality QB. Their worst record since 2019. Is it going to surprise any of us if this program plummets back below .500? I basically see it as likely. 

Thoughts on our team this year?

Does anybody else think Georgia Tech should be on upset alert after just notching their biggest win in forever AND having to travel back from Europe? Georgia State has a new coach and a bunch of transfers in and out, but if there was ever a recipe for a letdown it's gotta be this one. Maybe this belongs in the betting thread, but 21.5 seems like a crazy number in this game.

16 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I think Georgia is horribly overrated. They are living off their rep and for the reasons you listed, are going to struggle on offense. They had the cushiest schedule imaginable last season and lost to the only good team they faced in what was essentially a home game in Atlanta. I think they have a better than decent shot of missing the playoffs with games at Texas, at Bama and at Ole Miss. But I do think they beat Clemson in a terrible, low scoring, borderline unwatchable game.

I think LSU takes down USC. The LSU offensive line is going to control the game. USC lost 5 of their last 7 games last season, and that was with Caleb Williams doing Houdini shit all over the field. They hemorrhage points and I have zero faith in Lincoln Riley fixing them.

The A&M / ND game is fascinating, at least from a rooting for an earthquake perspective. If the ND oline can hold up with its youth, I think they win easily. Otherwise I think it's a coin flip.

• Hook 'Em 2

An interesting thing about the OL for ND is that they're choosing to bench at least two guys who have started games and have playing experience to instead play guys who have never taken live fire before Saturday night. I don't really know whether that means the younger guys are just substantially better or if ND is taking the opportunity to build a unit that could be great the following two years together.

13 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

An interesting thing about the OL for ND is that they're choosing to bench at least two guys who have started games and have playing experience 

One of those guys is Tosh Baker.  A guy Turtle Tom went after and some on the recruiting board was craving for.  If I remember, he was in the mold of Reese Moore in that he needed to add some good weight.  I guess he's had a slightly better career than Reese.

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

That game will be a cock fight 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Does anybody else think Georgia Tech should be on upset alert after just notching their biggest win in forever AND having to travel back from Europe? Georgia State has a new coach and a bunch of transfers in and out, but if there was ever a recipe for a letdown it's gotta be this one. Maybe this belongs in the betting thread, but 21.5 seems like a crazy number in this game.

The Cover 3 podcast was talking about this one and then had a good laugh when they mentioned that Georgia State didn't get a spring because their coach at the time quit after two practices. Something like "how do you take that as a player? We did so bad at practice that the coach ran away."

• Haha 1

Complete tv schedule and broadcaster listing:

https://506sports.com/

- No surprise that Mark Jones has been assigned to Boulder so he can auto fellate Sanders. 

- Devin Gardner has been sentenced to the same booth as that buffoon Tim Brando. And someone else now has to deal with Tillman. 

- Gus has gotten out of control encapsulated by his ongoing "THE World Famous Ohio State University" nausea.  His partner is the best in the business but Gus has gotten sideways. Herbsteit and McElroy are also solid on color. Jordan Rodgers is underrated. He and Tom Hart are a great pair. 

- Fozzy should be a good listen on SEC Net.  

- And no Beth to be found in Week 1. There is a God. 

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Yeah but his partner is Galindo.  Good luck with all that.

Is Brando really not paired with Spencer Tillman this year?  Hasn't that dynamic duo been together for decades?

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, WBT said:

Is Brando really not paired with Spencer Tillman this year?  Hasn't that dynamic duo been together for decades?

Galindo. Pretty hard to miss that shit yet somehow I did. 

16 minutes ago, WBT said:

Call me a homer, but I’ve always been impressed with Fozzy in interviews and podcasts. I didn’t watch a ton of the game, but his talking about how the defense responded to motion on a given play, for example, and what that meant the offense might come back with from the same look is exactly to kind of stuff I wish more color analyst guys did. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

There are a lot of games that interest me more for the back story aspects than the national championship picture.

I actually picked Miami to play in the ACC championship, and I think Miami is a mediocre team with mediocre coaching. That should tell you my level of respect for the ACC generally. What happens against Florida will be a strong indicator of whether or not I had a clue, which, I openly admit I probably don't. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised by pretty much anyone winning the ACC, it's that messed up top to bottom, imo. 

UGa's game has much a bigger impact on Texas and as such will be the game I focus on outside of CSU. I've already noted my lack of respect for the ACC. I have to go against some here and lean toward Georgia my SEC champ pic. However, I do think this game is a lot closer than it appears to be by most.

I'll always turn on UNC in hopes of seeing Mack Brown lose. That's a also ran game and neither are going to make any big impact this year.

Finally, I fully admit I'm turning on the CU game in hopes of a dumpster fire of some sort.

Lots of interesting games this weekend that will clarify a lot of things for me regarding the bigger picture this year.

Edited by BurntEyes

1 hour ago, Wally Pryor said:

Complete tv schedule and broadcaster listing:

https://506sports.com/

- No surprise that Mark Jones has been assigned to Boulder so he can auto fellate Sanders. 

- Devin Gardner has been sentenced to the same booth as that buffoon Tim Brando. And someone else now has to deal with Tillman. 

- Gus has gotten out of control encapsulated by his ongoing "THE World Famous Ohio State University" nausea.  His partner is the best in the business but Gus has gotten sideways. Herbsteit and McElroy are also solid on color. Jordan Rodgers is underrated. He and Tom Hart are a great pair. 

- And no Beth to be found in Week 1. There is a God. 

506 is great for NFL coverage maps as well. Weekly visit for this Cowboys fan living in Houston.

• Hook 'Em 1

Shit, Temple may be like bottom 3 bad. OU is going to annihilate them. 

Don’t know what to make of TCU this year.  Kind of like Stanford and the points. 

Georgia Southern and Boise in Statesboro should be a fun one. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Looks like Max Johnson didn't outright win the QB battle at UNC - Mack is teasing a platoon: https://www.on3.com/news/north-carolina-unc-tar-heels-football-quarterback-situation-opener-minnesota-2024/

“P.J. didn’t release a depth chart, so Mack decided to be a little bit coy about who his starter’s going to be. Max Johnson has the most experience. He obviously played at LSU. He played at Texas A&M,” Thamel said. “He brings 1,600 snaps into this, so he’s probably expected to start over Conner Harrell, but I do expect both to play. Mack Brown told me as much last week.

Thamel continued: “What Conner Harrell brings is an element of dynamism. He could come in situationally. He could come in the ‘Wildcat.’ He started North Carolina’s bowl game last year. He’s not the polished passer that Johnson is, nor does he have the experience, but he can really stress a defense. Look for both to see some action in Minneapolis.”

On 8/28/2024 at 3:44 PM, BurntEyes said:

There are a lot of games that interest me more for the back story aspects than the national championship picture.

I actually picked Miami to play in the ACC championship, and I think Miami is a mediocre team with mediocre coaching. That should tell you my level of respect for the ACC generally. What happens against Florida will be a strong indicator of whether or not I had a clue, which, I openly admit I probably don't. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised by pretty much anyone winning the ACC, it's that messed up top to bottom, imo. 

UGa's game has much a bigger impact on Texas and as such will be the game I focus on outside of CSU. I've already noted my lack of respect for the ACC. I have to go against some here and lean toward Georgia my SEC champ pic. However, I do think this game is a lot closer than it appears to be by most.

I'll always turn on UNC in hopes of seeing Mack Brown lose. That's a also ran game and neither are going to make any big impact this year.

Finally, I fully admit I'm turning on the CU game in hopes of a dumpster fire of some sort.

Lots of interesting games this weekend that will clarify a lot of things for me regarding the bigger picture this year.

My kinda guy

Has the opening Thursday and Friday always had this much action? In addition to CU-NDSU tonight several ranked teams and unranked SEC teams in action. 

No. 12 Utah v. S. Utah

No. 11 Mizzou v. Murray St.

No. 22 KU v. Lindenwood (who?)

No. 24 NCSU v. W. Carolina

Arkansas v. UA Pine Bluff

I don't recall that many ranked and higher profile teams on an opening Thursday in the past. 

Posted (edited)
On 8/27/2024 at 6:25 PM, closetojumping said:

I'm surprise OSU-SDSU is on ESPN+. You'd think there would be some interest in seeing if SDSU can pull it off. Don't expect a typical sleepy Gundy v. FCS opener as in past years. He usually treats them as preseason games getting everyone snaps and maintaining just enough distance that the final score isn't a wide margin but we were always in control. He knows who these guys are, reigning FCS champs on a 29 game win streak, FCS Heisman winner at QB, and a team that will be on fire to take down a ranked P4 squad. He's not treating this as a typical warmup game. It's far more likely that we'll blow them out than we lose a close one. Last year was an anomaly without a starting QB and Gundy's strange need to ensure equal playing time between all three QBs. Unlike last year, Bowman isn't new, he has a full season under his belt, and has taken all the starting offseason snaps. Ollie Gordon isn't an unknown who we OSU fans knew had unrealized potential but didn't expect multiple 200+ rushing games. The young defensive coordinator (Nard Dog!) has another season of experience. Not much lost in the portal compared to the year before. Gundy is treating this like a bigtime game, because it really is, despite the FCS badge on their jerseys. I think we win a close one 35-27.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Has the opening Thursday and Friday always had this much action? In addition to CU-NDSU tonight several ranked teams and unranked SEC teams in action. 

No. 12 Utah v. S. Utah

No. 11 Mizzou v. Murray St.

No. 22 KU v. Lindenwood (who?)

No. 24 NCSU v. W. Carolina

Arkansas v. UA Pine Bluff

I don't recall that many ranked and higher profile teams on an opening Thursday in the past. 

Three of those games don't even have posted ML odds because the other team is such dogshit. There's only 2 games tonight that on paper are particularly watchable. 

I may have a different definition of "action" than you, however. 

Just now, ztejas said:

Three of those games don't even have posted ML odds because the other team is such dogshit. There's only 2 games tonight that on paper are particularly watchable. 

I may have a different definition of "action" than you, however. 

I'm talking about the fact that the teams are ranked, seems unusual to see that many ranked teams play on an opening Thursday. I guess "action" was the wrong word, I agree they'll be blowouts.