UTSA and UT Health San Antonio Merging

F250

I just heard about this on the news this morning.

The Board of Regents for the University of Texas System voted to merge UTSA and UT Health San Antonio by 2025. UTSA President Taylor Eighmy will lead the newly combined university.

According to the news release, UT Health San Antonio ranks in the top 3% globally for funding from the National Institute of Health, and the newly-merged university will become the third-largest research university in Texas, with nearly $470 million in combined annual research expenditures.

https://www.texasstandard.org/stories/utsa-ut-health-san-antonio-merge-by-2025/

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Some people I work with at UT Health are not particularly happy about it. Associating with UTSA doesn't really elevate their brand from a prestige perspective. Other schools are making runs at their faculty.

When I heard about this, I was kind of afraid of this.

It’s great for UTSA, but I didn’t know how well UT Health would like it. 
But just from an efficiency POV, probably makes sense. IDK.

I'm curious if UT southwestern gets merged into UT Dallas as well….

10 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

I'm curious if UT southwestern gets merged into UT Dallas as well….

Interesting idea and a boon for UTD. I looked into it and found that this was contemplated before - within the 2000s - but UTSW was dissatisfied with the bridge program between the schools. So, deal off and still off until UTSW can be convinced (or compelled) otherwise.

It's a smart move, even if there are short term pains.  I've wondered for years why Texas Tech and TTUHSC don't merge.  They would almost instantly become eligible for AAU status, along with other tier 1 research rankings.  My understanding is that the pushback from administrators who aren't interested in losing their jobs and/or titles with a merger is the biggest stumbling block to moves like this.