Abbott: Border barriers needed between New Mexico, Texas

atomheartbevo

Three years and counting since my last visit to Texas. My nephew can feel free to come meet me when he’s old enough to leave the state on his own since his dad won’t bring him on a plane to come visit. I feel bad about not having seen my five year old niece except on FaceTime in the last three years, but I’m good with staying completely away from the entire state. What a banana republic/3rd world dumpster fire y’all have going on down there.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, G650 said:

Yeah, the unsaid part of that is I first heard that joke in high school, and, well, it's been a long time since I've been in high school

My theory is that Georgia, Alabama, and Mississippi are all the same state with three different personality disorders.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

On 8/29/2024 at 5:42 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Yep, that kind of thinking is the same thinking that thinks "Greg Abbott will respect the wishes of Texans and their legislators when it comes to public education"

Meanwhile, Greg Abbott went on a spending and PR spree to try and kick out any Republican legislators who wouldn't do what he said and support public vouchers.

He will spend tens and hundreds of millions of dollars of Texas taxpayer money on walls, but he isn't going to touch any of the numerous corporations and individuals in Texas who hire labor that they know is not here legally.

What will the MAGAs do when forced to pay $9 for a head of lettuce?

3 hours ago, Satchel said:

What will the MAGAs do when forced to pay $9 for a head of lettuce?

3 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Blame it on Biden

Or the drag queens, trannies and queers.

1 hour ago, miguelito said:

Heat (1995)

[repeated line]

Neil McCauley: Don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113277/quotes?item=qt3442812

I understood the reference, for the record. 

I cannot describe the amount of grief I have over losing my state. I’m as Texan as you can be, and I would love to remain. It’s at a dangerous level now.  I hope we and one day y’all or them can save Texas. Knowing Beto won native Texans just tears me up. I’m right, Texans are good people.  But this isn’t Texas anymore.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

18 minutes ago, mdmost said:

For me, the sun rises and sets with her, man. 

That’s a good one too. actually a great one. I do feel cheated on or at least betrayed and my love for Texas will never die.

But I think he meant the one he quoted because I was talking about being willing to leave quickly. 

the moment my legal identity is threatened to be undone is when we bolt and we go fast. And make no mistake about it, it’s not an if anymore it’s when. 

Edited by troph
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Just had a thought.  I wonder if Abbott can have those river buoys moved to the border with New Mexico.  I'm sure his donor with the contract for that work would love to truck them out towards Alamogordo National Forest.

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

And now you need to pick up the Heat 2 novel. 

I wanted to listen to the audiobook of that, but the narrator is stuck in perpetual "I'm an action movie trailer voice over actor" mode and it's very distracting

Weird about my feelings for Texas.  I didn't think much of it, and then went off to college in northern Cal and frankly didn't make the best of it. 

I came back to law school at UT and suddenly felt grounded, like I belonged.  It was the Austin before Austin got big and it just seemed like everyone was on the same page and it was my page.

Fast forward and I'm in Dallas and I am very fond of Dallas.  I live near the lake and I bike on the trails so it feels like I'm outside a lot given the way the weather is getting.  And the cooler neighborhoods in Dallas are great.  I feel like it's my town, but the border to my town is pretty close in.

But I feel a closer bond with Washington DC than I do with Garland or Plano or Allen.  And really with any large city.  With climate change alone, I'd move if I could.  Keeping me here - the grandson in Allen, TX.  

I feel for you younger folks who still need to make your career and raise your families.  I can see how it would really hurt to the state turning into something you didn't think it would.  

I don't hate the folks who more here because it's friendlier to what they believe in and not what I believe in.  They need a place to be.  But life is short, and there are nicer places to be. 

I'm okay with them changing the definition of what I thought it was to be Texan.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

I feel for you younger folks who still need to make your career and raise your families.

Yeah, this is my life here in Virginia Beach to be honest. But I know why I'm doing it, so it's certainly manageable. If I had my druthers though I'd be living in Northern Italy.

• Drool 1

Whether it’s with the ballot box or an inspired act of god, Abbott, Paxton and their billionaire mega donor MAGA pastors Tim Dunn and Farris Wilks, have to go before they can accomplish their goal of turning Texas into a true Christian Nationalist state. The will of the people is not being done in our state. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

4 years for me.  I last went to Houston on a business trip in February of 2020. I have not been back since. Alas, I think I am going to have to go back this year, but I am waiting until hurricane season is over/heat humidity is back down....so December maybe.

The Book of Mormon will be there from Jan 7-12 if you want to see some show tunes in the big city before going back to whatever cultureless city you happen to live in.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

The Book of Mormon will be there from Jan 7-12 if you want to see some show tunes in the big city before going back to whatever cultureless city you happen to live in.

Ha Ha Smile GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Saw BOM on Broadway in 2015. Right before I saw Hamilton a week after the Obama's saw it.