2024 Texas GameDay Stadium Experience Thread

TrashMaster G

21 hours ago, blacklab said:

Much better. 
PA announcer much better
several breaks with no music or just band playing 

Agree, it was improved.

Lowlight was the dumbass DJ trying to join in the stadium yell on his microphone and getting it completely off cycle.

Fucking moron.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

44 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Agree, it was improved.

Lowlight was the dumbass DJ trying to join in the stadium yell on his microphone and getting it completely off cycle.

Fucking moron.

Yes. That pissed me off. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_highest_of_fives said:

Cell service in Stadium is significantly better than years past.  Overall a great day.  The bars along Bevo Blvd did choke the area.  Also the new Terrace at LCL is a joke, there is not enough room for people now.  Walked up to see Midland, saw the tight crowd and immediately turned around.

I feel like each year over the last 3-4 years stadium WiFi has gotten better each of those years from the prior. 

The excitement CDC created has been incredible. The atmosphere is even fun for opposing fan bases. There were a few negatives. I agree that terrace at LCL is fucking terrible. The people inside could give two shits about the music and it took up too much space on the lawn. The beer vendor lines got pretty long after awhile. I appreciate the fan friendly prices on some in stadium items but the hot dogs were gray and looked terrible. I saw two different people throwing them up and they weren’t drunk.

Thought the in-game video board production, namely the consistent lack of replays was bad. 

Always thought we showed replays pretty consistently before, but yesterday was awful. 

My kid of course wants kettle corn because I have got it for him in the past, and at least in the entire upper deck there were only two vendors with kettle corn, and both only took swipe cards, so my even though we walked all the way around and waded through the shade seeking crowds at halftime, he got zero kettle corn. 

Love that CDC has held concession prices to his original rollbacks for all these years, it's funny because it makes the third party vendors look so much worse. 

Chick Fil A: $11 for one sandwich. 

H-Tea-O: Iced tea cup mainly filled with ice, $8. 

UT operated concession stands, fountain coke, still $3. Major props there.

Also loved the proactive distribution of the cool towels and setups to replenish with ice water. Smart and helpful. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, TheYoungHorn said:

Thought the in-game video board production, namely the consistent lack of replays was bad. 

Always thought we showed replays pretty consistently before, but yesterday was awful. 

My kid of course wants kettle corn because I have got it for him in the past, and at least in the entire upper deck there were only two vendors with kettle corn, and both only took swipe cards, so my even though we walked all the way around and waded through the shade seeking crowds at halftime, he got zero kettle corn. 

Love that CDC has held concession prices to his original rollbacks for all these years, it's funny because it makes the third party vendors look so much worse. 

Also loved the proactive distribution of the cool towels and setups to replenish with ice water. Smart and helpful. 

Agree on the replays 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/31/2024 at 4:12 PM, blacklab said:

Much better. 
PA announcer much better
several breaks with no music or just band playing 

That's great to hear. It's hard to pry me from the comfort of my big screen and living room but an improved gameday experience and Fall weather certainly help

• Hook 'Em 1

Less noise pollution is a positive. Maybe they finally have the volume right. 
Late or no replays suck. Lack of other scores suck. Concessions in upper deck sucked along with the long lines. 
I don’t understand what effect they are going for with the orange smoke. 
That being said, I did think on whole things are better. 

Edited by CTC2
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

Less noise pollution is a positive. Maybe they finally have the volume right. 
Late or no replays suck. Lack of other scores suck. Concessions in upper deck sucked along with the long lines. 
That being said, I did think on whole things are better. 

I think the olds definitely sent the message that it was too gottdamn loud (and not for good reasons) and CDC acted on that feedback. The replays should not be hard to fix. I mean, most high school stadiums have that figured out.

The pre-installed seat back chairs got a major upgrade, that was nice.

They didn't show the text captions of the announcer/referee comments well this time. The referee audio is often unintelligible, and I like seeing the player names in the commentary. I would have extra liked to read the names and countries of the Olympic medalists, I could barely understand that audio.

Did they change the down markers on the field? I remember being able to read these, now they are these LED numbers that are so dim they are hard to see.

19 hours ago, CTC2 said:

It was to give the student body (youngsters) a taste of what it was like going to the bars on 6th St and downtown from the 60's through the early 2000's.....

Happy Hour Drinking GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Cell service in Stadium is significantly better than years past.  Overall a great day.  The bars along Bevo Blvd did choke the area.  Also the new Terrace at LCL is a joke, there is not enough room for people now.  Walked up to see Midland, saw the tight crowd and immediately turned around.

Who do you have? VZW was trash last season.

On 9/1/2024 at 4:13 PM, TheYoungHorn said:

To me, this is one of the biggest wins for the gameday experience over the last few years. Given inflation, the rising cost of food, and every restaurant jacking up prices to make a quick buck, you'd expect UT to follow suit.

They probably never made much money off of concessions following the rollback, but at this point I bet they lose a good amount just to maintain prices. It probably gets balanced out via alcohol sales or they rationalize it as a "gameday experience" expense, but regardless it's still really great to see.

On another food related note I love that Pluckers continues to give out the 5-free wing coupons following each win. Those coupons have probably outperformed the value of the US dollar over the last 10 years with how expensive wings have gotten.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Pretty Cool... 🤘

Bevo hates the smoke, but it makes for great pictures everytime.  His first season he did an amazing jump after they hit the smoke.  He’s pampered as hell so I’m ok with his awesome smoke jumps. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Good to hear the new PA guy is better. It was a low bar. So, now that our long national nightmare is finally over, in what way is the new guy better? More reserved, no silly attention-seeking affectations, more brevity & simplicity? 

Edited by wood

2 hours ago, wood said:

Good to hear the new PA guy is better. It was a low bar. So, now that our long national nightmare is finally over, in what way is the new guy better? More reserved, no silly attention-seeking affectations, more brevity & simplicity? 

Yes

I agree that the PA volume was noticeably lower and there were fewer jock jams throughout the game.  I'm mildly gruntled.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 9/1/2024 at 4:26 PM, CTC2 said:

They should stop doing that during the day games because it doesn't look as cool as it does during night games. 

You can see the aesthetic of it in this video plus the students seem to love that shit.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

Bevo hates the smoke, but it makes for great pictures everytime.  His first season he did an amazing jump after they hit the smoke.  He’s pampered as hell so I’m ok with his awesome smoke jumps. 

I didn't know that's what caused him to jump like that.  I hope they can continue this.  That is one BAMF entrance for one BAMF mascot. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, TX Wing Fan said:

On another food related note I love that Pluckers continues to give out the 5-free wing coupons following each win. Those coupons have probably outperformed the value of the US dollar over the last 10 years with how expensive wings have gotten.

I love when you get someone who doesn't give a shit and just gives you their whole stack. 

Pro Tip: Take 2 with you on your Pluckers visit and sit at the bar and use one there then once you've ate at the bar get on the list for a table and you can use the other at the table to get 10 free wings on your visit. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

I have never understood the need to eat at a game or a movie for that matter.

Eat before you go or afterwards or both.

Drink instead.

I've never understood the need to drink at a game. Alcohol is way too expensive in stadiums.

Drink before you go or afterwards or both.

Eat instead and hydrate.

On 9/1/2024 at 4:13 PM, TheYoungHorn said:

Video board stuff mostly sucked. We couldn't hear/understand Colt McCoy on his video piece. Lack or replays or timely replays was lame. In game emcee dude was pretty lame, but whatever.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I love when you get someone who doesn't give a shit and just gives you their whole stack. 

My 9-year-old daughter somehow came home from her first-ever DKR visit with 70 Pluckers cards good for 5 free wings each! She's a keeper.

• Hook 'Em 2

Are they still doing that 20 year old flyover GET YRR DEGREE … BLAH BLAH BLAH … BUT MOST OF ALL GET YRRR HORNS UP and everyone goes stupid?

I mean it’s cool I guess but the whole got dam town looks 1000% better now. Can we get a drone up there and update that old Big Foot footage??

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 6

22 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

I have never understood the need to eat at a game or a movie for that matter.

Eat before you go or afterwards or both.

Drink instead.

beverages 

nachos (with canned cheese poured over the top, and lots of jalapeños) 

popcorn (good and fresh)

peanuts 

cracker jacks / candy 

that’s all you need !

* $1 hot dogs  

Edited by tx 3 putt

Forgot to make my annual complaint about the shoddy display of out of town scores.  It shouldn't be hard to take a fraction of the ribbon board on each side and constantly loop through all of the FBS scores.  I know it's not their target demo, but a lot of college football fans attend these games.

At least the wifi is getting better to the point that you can usually check scores on your phone.