2024 Texas GameDay Stadium Experience Thread

TrashMaster G

The tickets are crazy expensive this year. I usually go to one game in October or November and holy crap.

I am having a hell of a time pulling the trigger on this. Like certain A&M 9.95ers I make six figs but I am clearly a poor in the Texas Football fanbase.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

11 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

The tickets are crazy expensive this year. I usually go to one game in October or November and holy crap.

I am having a hell of a time pulling the trigger on this. Like certain A&M 9.95ers I make six figs but I am clearly a poor in the Texas Football fanbase.

Like how much?  I was ruminating on the idea of driving up to Dallas while visiting my mother in October.  

I guess the days* of walking up fifteen minutes before game time and buying an upper deck ticket for $15 are over.

(*those were the David McWilliams days)

21 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

Like how much?  I was ruminating on the idea of driving up to Dallas while visiting my mother in October.  

I guess the days* of walking up fifteen minutes before game time and buying an upper deck ticket for $15 are over.

400+ to get in. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Bullneck said:

Heh. I did that for years when I was a kid. And I vividly remember the first time I showed up to the game and there were no tickets to be had for $20. It was 1998, Mack Brown and Ricky Williams killed those days...until 2015. In 2015 you could basically go to every game for free and I pretty much did. Of course you also had to watch the 2015 Texas Longhorns play football.

In the Sims/Applewhite/Vince/Colt era I was living in a shitty apartment in North Austin and working a shitty office job and I would save up $100 for each home game and I got in every game, except for Ohio State 2006, and often had enough for a snack or something.

But the total amount I saved up to see Vince play in every home game in 2005 will not even be close to the amount of money I would need just to buy tickets for me and my family to watch this version of Texas play Florida or Kentucky for one game. Crazy. In fact it will be well in excess of twice that.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

The orange smoke delayed the game (a few seconds) because the refs couldn't see the clocks at the end of the field.  Oops.

I despise the smoke…

…but to be fair (sort of), “they” seemed to be accelerating the start back time between the 3rd and 4th quarters and looked like it caught everyone by surprise.

This of course after every other time out period was excruciatingly long.

11 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

It’s like this for every live entertainment event these days. Sports, music, comedy. Doesn’t matter

but yeah, the football program of the flagship university in the 2nd largest populated (and one of the fastest growing) state in the country that has been starved for a quality product for a decade and half is going to have some sticker shock 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

It’s like this for every live entertainment event these days. Sports, music, comedy. Doesn’t matter

but yeah, the football program of the flagship university in the 2nd largest populated (and one of the fastest growing) state in the country that has been starved for a quality product for a decade and half is going to have some sticker shock 

Since the start of this season from what I've seen on 3rd party apps and this is just going of memory but those ticket prices have increased since season started when generally you see decreases.

7 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

Just a thought everyone ... pick up your trash on the way out.  For bonus points, pick up just one more item than you brought in.

There are trash and recycling cans just outside of the portal exits.

100,000 hands picking up just a little bit could make the place look a lot nicer after a game.

Why are you trying to make the stadium cleaning crew lose their jobs? 

• Haha 3

Yeah I was going to ask if they still use high school students to clean in exchange for money for senior trip or some shit like my school did ~25 years ago. I just remember hearing we were assigned 1 or 2 sections and then ended up having to clear damn near the entire East side lower level.

Sneaking out half full flasks from the student sections was good practice for sneaking in full flasks the following few years though 

Edited by UTexasFight
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

don’t they hire broke students and homeless guys for that ?

10 hours ago, cabowabo said:

I cleaned the motherfucker many a time as a hungover frat pledge 34 years ago. 

On Sunday mornings, High School groups cleaned DKR Stadium in the past too...  

Just now, texifornia said:

It's pretty disappointing we made it our fourth quarter song. It's the beige wallpaper of stadium music and has no connection to Texas.

Not just us. I've seen videos of different college stadiums playing Thunderstuck to amp up the crowd to the same theme: lights off, LED lights synched to Thunderstruck.

3 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Well, they specifically mention going to Texas and having fun in Texas. 

Hah, well fuck me, I just assumed it didn't because they're Australian. I've never actually listened to the lyrics because it's been so ridiculously overplayed my whole life I can't imagine actually wanting to play it for myself. 

Just now, texifornia said:

Hah, well fuck me, I just assumed it didn't because they're Australian. I've never actually listened to the lyrics because it's been so ridiculously overplayed my whole life I can't imagine actually wanting to play it for myself. 

Scottish. At least the Youngs and Bon Scott (not that he was around by then).

I’m so old there was a time when it was new and not overplayed. 

I even remember when “Highway to Hell” was edgy. So, yeah. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Embrace Thunderstruck....

Rolled down the highway
Broke the limit, we hit the town
Went through to Texas, yeah, Texas
And we had some fun

We met some girls
Some dancers who gave a good time
Broke all the rules, played all the fools
Yeah, yeah, they, they, they blew our minds

And I was shakin' at the knees
Could I come again, please?
Yeah, the ladies were too kind
You've been

Thunderstruck
Thunderstruck
Yeah, yeah, yeah, thunderstruck
Ooh, thunderstruck

Yeah

Well, I was shaking at the knees
Could I come again, please?

Thunderstruck
Thunderstruck

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

If you don’t enjoy drunkenly slursinging (almost to a palsy’ed degree) like Brian Johnson while watching the Horns go in dry, I don’t know what to tell you. That is freedom. That is the reason George Washington crossed the Rubicon with Napoleon to secure American independence from the rebel Peruvian forces. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Well, if we're going with lyrics, how about these from a Texas band:

Under the lights where we stand tall
Nobody touches us at all
Showdown, shootout, spread fear within, without
We're gonna take what's ours to have
Spread the word throughout the land
They say bad guys wear black
We're tagged and can't turn back

You see us comin'
And you all together run for cover
We're taking over this town
Here we come reach for your gun
And you better listen well, my friend, you see
It's been slowed down below
Aimed at you, we're the cowboys from hell
Deed is done again, we've won
Ain't talking no tall tales friend
'Cause high noon, your doom
Comin' for you we're the cowboys from hell

Pillage the village, trash the scene
But better not take it out on me
'Cause a ghost town is found
Where your city used to be
So out of the darkness and into the light
Sparks fly everywhere in sight
From my double barrel, 12-gauge
Can't lock me in your cage

You see us comin'
And you all together run for cover
We're taking over this town
Comin' for you we're the cowboys from hell

Comin' for you we're the cowboys from hell, ahhh
Step aside, we're the cowboys from hell

23 minutes ago, gofuckyourself said:

Great experience. My 13 years old's first game and we had some great seats.

Only downer was I told him they'd have a drone show, but I guess that's not at every night game?

He's not a big football fan but had a great time and said "I like football now".

Lack of Bob Cole was fantastic. New dude was fine, and not a distraction at all.

Obviously it was a great outcome. Entry/exit was fast (thanks to the blowout).

We of course stayed the whole time and sang the eyes.

We also brought in some extra trash and threw it around a few sections. /surly

PXL_20240921_232035759.thumb.jpg.6cacaf49ae2ec2cbc7c4ec1e78cc63ab.jpg

I'm guessing that maybe the drone show didn't happen because of the wind.