2024 Random Games thread

Just now, AeroHorn said:

The most hilarious thing would be SMU and Cal making it to the ACC championship game, with Cal winning; the most derided football team that nobody wanted.

That would really cap off the debate of the excellence regarding the ACC.

days like this are why I fucking love college football so much, it's a sport that is an experience that can't be topped. Sat down all day long, eating chicken wings and cheese sticks, grilling steaks, watching crazy fucking upsets all day long. My senior citizen dad and mom stopped by and I made them dinner while we watched Bama lose. And the day isn't over, there could still be another top 10 upset. No other sport makes me set aside an entire day like football. It's so much fun, it's an event every week.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

Just now, dcar00 said:

ha.  ESPN game shows major upsets to talk about at half and only shows vandy and ark.  

Everyone knew mizzou was overrated. Aggy “best win of the last several years” is a foot note. 

Like, in professional sports, at least in the US, there's no equivalent of a Vanderbilt beating #1 Alabama. Conceptually it just can't happen, a team playing another team regularly for decades and not winning. The discrepancy in college football is what makes it simultaneously so great because you can get impossible upsets. Another good example of how awesome college sports are was when Steven F Austin beat #1 Duke in Durham. I remember trying to explain to my NBA-watching friends how insane that upset was and couldn't put it into equivalent terms.

I'm so fucking excited for this 12-team playoff. Even if I know the small schools will be crushed every time, I simply love the fact that everybody in college football now realistically begins the year with a shot at winning the title. Just win every game, and you're essentially guaranteed a shot at the title. That is so fucking cool and it's been long overdue in college football. March madness but football? It's gonna fucking rule.

• Hook 'Em 5

Just now, millhouse said:

"The SEC showed favoritism towards the sips by giving them a bye this week"

- some aggy, probably 

Oh they’re already worked up.  Thinking the schedule is set up for them to “control their destiny”