Week 2, 2024: Texas at Michigan

Wulaw Horn

Things feeling really good after beating a weaker opening game opponent the way contenders are supposed to beat them.  Don’t want to shout any lofty expectations just yet though.  Michigan will be another test, specifically along the line of scrimmage, and on the road.  If The Horns do indeed pass this test, then let those great expectations flow freely

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Week 2, 2024: Texas at Michigan

Michigan still has a salty defense. Not sure what to make of their dual QB situation but no doubt they were hiding a few things in their game vs Fresno St. having said that we came out flexing with our power and athleticism. 

I worry about their defense because they will throw the kitchen sink at us and then some. We have so many weapons on offense that I do think we win by 10 points. Our defense is vastly improved and I didn’t see much out of their offense yesterday to scare me. I do expect them to run the ball quite a bit. 

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Did many folks watch the Michigan/Fresno game last night? 

To say that I was not impressed would be putting it lightly, and I didn’t have high expectations going into it. 

The QBs for Michigan are objectively bad. Warren would be 4th string at Texas only because I don’t think we actually have a scholarship 4th stringer. Orji isn’t a QB and Michigan appears to realize that, but no one must be willing to tell him. They hardly played him and, when they did, it was basically a Wildcat offense.

Worse than the QBs were the skill position players not named Loveland. There isn’t a single WR that played last night that would be in the Texas two deep. I know we’re deep, so that statement may not be doing their lack of talent justice. Mullings appears to be the go-to TB because Edwards still can’t run inside and they don’t seem to have much interest in running outside. 

Loveland is a true stud TE. Texas needs to take him seriously and take him away as a safety net.  If they do this, Michigan QBs will turn the ball over. 

The offensive line looked mediocre in their first game together. Fresno State wasn’t exactly living in the backfield, but Michigan wasn’t getting push and having their way, which I expected based on the breathless way the Michigan Insider guys were raving about them. 

The Michigan front looked great defensively, allowing 9 yards rushing. This is the strength of their team and it is not even close. 

The Fresno State QB is not a guy Texas would recruit and he was missing guys all night. He made the mistake of testing Will Johnson as well and I hope Texas doesn’t. Frankly, there is no need to do so.

The Michigan LBs and safeties are not fast. Sarkisian is great at picking apart mismatches like this. I’ll never forget watching him scheme to match up the Bama WRs against slow Ohio State LBs repeatedly in the 2020 season’s national title game. Knowing the speed and quickness of our receivers and watching Michigan’s Big 10 pass defense last night gave me a lot of confidence. Michigan has one LB that they rave about because he’s such a thumper. He’s a transfer from Maryland. I want to see him matched up against Texas on passing downs, please. 

The Big House isn’t particularly loud, allegedly. I’m looking forward to seeing it in person. My hope is that Texas goes up by two scores early, takes away home field advantage and forces Michigan to do something, anything on offense. 

I texted a friend during the Michigan game, "We're going to beat them by three TDs". Of course I had been drinking all day. But yes, they were not impressive at all and quite the contrast to the speed and athleticism we put on the field. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, D3zii said:

I’m expecting Tim Tebow and Chris Leak against us. Not wat we seen yesterday 

Prepare to be disappointed. You’re going to something more akin to Tyrone Swoopes and non-ATM Case McCoy out there. Tebow/Leak deserves better than this comparison. Holy shit. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The Fresno State QB is not a guy Texas would recruit and he was missing guys all night. He made the mistake of testing Will Johnson as well and I hope Texas doesn’t. Frankly, there is no need to do so.

Agreed, throw it to where he ain't. We have so many receiving weapons. 

Just now, Hank Kingsley said:

Footwork and decision making in the pocket when facing a better defense. 

He made, as far as I could tell from my limited focus, one bad decision when trying to throw the ball away. 

Yeah, of course, the entire team is going to need more intensity next week, but Ewers was just fine in context. Imo. 

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

To say that I was not impressed would be putting it lightly, and I didn’t have high expectations going into it. 

The QBs for Michigan are objectively bad. Warren would be 4th string at Texas only because I don’t think we actually have a scholarship 4th stringer. Orji isn’t a QB and Michigan appears to realize that, but no one must be willing to tell him. They hardly played him and, when they did, it was basically a Wildcat offense.

Worse than the QBs were the skill position players not named Loveland. There isn’t a single WR that played last night that would be in the Texas two deep. I know we’re deep, so that statement may not be doing their lack of talent justice. Mullings appears to be the go-to TB because Edwards still can’t run inside and they don’t seem to have much interest in running outside. 

Loveland is a true stud TE. Texas needs to take him seriously and take him away as a safety net.  If they do this, Michigan QBs will turn the ball over. 

The offensive line looked mediocre in their first game together. Fresno State wasn’t exactly living in the backfield, but Michigan wasn’t getting push and having their way, which I expected based on the breathless way the Michigan Insider guys were raving about them. 

The Michigan front looked great defensively, allowing 9 yards rushing. This is the strength of their team and it is not even close. 

The Michigan LBs and safeties are not fast. Sarkisian is great at picking apart mismatches like this. I’ll never forget watching him scheme to match up the Bama WRs against slow Ohio State LBs repeatedly in the 2020 season’s national title game. Knowing the speed and quickness of our receivers and watching Michigan’s Big 10 pass defense last night gave me a lot of confidence. Michigan has one LB that they rave about because he’s such a thumper. He’s a transfer from Maryland. I want to see him matched up against Texas on passing downs, please. 

The Big House isn’t particularly loud, allegedly. I’m looking forward to seeing it in person. My hope is that Texas goes up by two scores early, takes away home field advantage and forces Michigan to do something, anything on offense. 

Thanks for the breakdown.  Was watching A&M, but keeping tabs on The Michigan score, only noting that the score wasn’t exactly a dominant showing against similar competition to what Horns faced at DKR yesterday.  Historically, it’s been hard to get a read on every team week 1, and often we’ve seen night and day different performances from teams week 1 to week 2 so I have to leave the door open that last night’s Michigan might not exactly be The Michigan Texas will get in Ann Arbor next week.  And I will be genuinely interested to see next week’s battles along the line of scrimmage no matter what I hear all week leading up to the game.  But like I hinted at above, it’s getting really hard to remain objective after what we saw from Texas yesterday.  There’s certainly reason to suspect Texas might not only win at The Big House, but perhaps convincingly 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, StassneyHorn said:

Threw enough screens in the last game to leave me confident that Sark will use that to try and negate pass rush early and keep that in their minds.

Just don’t throw it to the sidelines and get pick sixed like Fresno did yesterday. 

Michigan had just the right amount of suck yesterday to not make any drastic changes for this week. It was 16-10 with 6 minutes left in the 4th at home against Fresno St and then they ended up winning 30-10. It was perfect. Reminded me of basically any non conference win we had from 2010-2022.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

Thanks for the breakdown.  Was watching A&M, but keeping tabs on The Michigan score, only noting that the score wasn’t exactly a dominant showing against similar competition to what Horns faced at DKR yesterday.  Historically, it’s been hard to get a read on every team week 1, and often we’ve seen night and day different performances from teams week 1 to week 2 so I have to leave the door open that last night’s Michigan might not exactly be The Michigan Texas will get in Ann Arbor next week.  And I will be genuinely interested to see next week’s battles along the line of scrimmage no matter what I hear all week leading up to the game.  But like I hinted at above, it’s getting really hard to remain objective after what we saw from Texas yesterday.  There’s certainly reason to suspect Texas might not only win at The Big House, but perhaps convincingly 

I don’t see anything I’d object to in regard to your thoughts in your posts, or really most here so far. I don’t feel any different. I’m not heading to Ann Arbor thinking we’re getting a gimme, but we have every reason to feel good about the matchup.

The similarities to last year are pretty stark for me, personally. Texas played the first opponent of the year better this year than last, and Michigan played theirs worse than Bama did. There aren’t a ton of other differences. 

Michigan, like Bama, has an unproven QB(s). Having followed Milroe in recruiting, I felt like he could be formidable but also a turnover machine. I guess another difference is that I don’t think the Michigan QBs can be formidable. They fucking suck. 

Michigan lost a lot, like Bama last year, but is expected to be a stout defense. Michigan has big question marks across the offense and secondary. See Bama. Then again, another difference is that Michigan doesn’t have the athletes that Bama or Texas has. They’re not a fast team. 

So I guess the similarities aren’t so many as to be eerie or anything. 

Watching the game, Michigan wasn’t showing much on defense, so we’ll get some new looks. On offense, they weren’t hiding a fucking thing. They struggled all night and pretty much sucked. They got a short field touchdown in the first quarter and outside of that did nothing until late, when superior physical talent and depth finished off an inferior opponent. It was a 16-10 game with 6 minutes left.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Limit turnovers and we should be ok. Going to be tough to run on these guys so will have to throw more 

This… The Michigan offense is a work in progress at best. Going to be a game that punting isn’t a terrible option. Michigan will struggle with consistent offense. Make them  string together first downs to score. Texas will need more from their interior OL, than we saw in game 1. Get an early lead and Michigan is in serious trouble. Biggest mismatch may be Michigan WRs vs Texas DBs 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 3

They will have the best d line we will see. Sark tends to really scheme well early on using the backs RPO we have WRs all over. It will need to be quick pop passes to limit the Dline. 

it will be a test of our d line to establish thier story. Last year that def had thier story. This year the defense will have to create their own narrative   It feels like a 27-17 type game. I’d like to have another cupcake in front to tune up. But I trust sark 

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

Fresno State is better than CSU. It is more along the lines of Wyoming from last year. Michigan looked bad offensively, but I wouldn't overreact to the game. That defense will create problems for us.

Michigan was not impressive, in an almost alarming way last night.  As in, are these dudes playing possum or are they really what they look like? I’m more concerned about overconfidence than anything.

They barely outgained Fresno. Fresno was driving to make it a one score game late before a bad pick six on a screen pass. Their qbs, outside of a few Orji runs where he got loose, were not good. 

Beyond that, I didn’t think their offensive line was very physical. They punished teams on the ground last year. Remember what they did to Penn State? They didn’t even pretend to pass against them and ran it like 30 times in a row. Last night they ran it 34 times for 148 yards. That isn’t going to frighten anyone.

Their defense is talented and the dts are a problem. Fresno couldn’t do dick running the ball and became one dimensional. If the Texas oline can keep them in check, keep Ewers clean and keep them honest in the run game, then I like our chances notwithstanding excessive turnovers or special teams miscues. 

Michigan is going to have to turn the game into a rock fight to win.

• Hook 'Em 2

56 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

When you watch Edward’s Highlights or see a small sample size, you think this guy is 1st round talent. See him in a few games and you start notice he has very poor vision. If the hole is where it supposed to be, Edward’s is a threat to score. If it 1 step to the right or left, good chance he misses the hole 

Edited by Codaxx

54 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I was at the game last night. I don’t know how it read on TV, but Michigan basically played man/press man single high all night and dared Fresno to pass it and Fresno couldn’t. There wasn’t much to see, really. 

Offensively, Michigan’s lack of push was surprising. Also, their receivers couldn’t get open, and when they did Warren was not good. Orji’s one pass caused an audible reaction from the crowd. It was comical. 

The Big House is a cool place to watch a game. But it’s a very shallow bowl all the way around, hence not very loud. This is also the first year of beer sales there. 

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

game week thoughts and articles and commentary

Here's my detailed, level-headed and realistic breakdown of our next matchup subsequent to yesterday's excellent performance:

Michigan sucks ass. Texas will beat them so badly that on Saturday night Chargers owner Alex Spanos fires Harbaugh immediately because quote, "that fucking mudholing out there was too embarrassing for us to be even tangentially associated."

They make Cameron Dicker the player/head coach for the remainder of the season.

Chargers go on to embarrass the Raiders 111-7. Dicker kicks 9 field goals, including a 68 yarder as time expires. They also win the Super Bowl becoming the first undefeated team since the Dolphins.

But first, on Sunday afternoon, due to national outrage and political pressure across the aisles to do "what's best for the integrity of the sport," Michigan discontinues their football program. The nation rejoices and we're all brought together in harmony.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'll be pretty surprised if, similar to GA-Tech/FSU, Michigan's gameplan isn't going to be to use all of the play clock, try to grind out drives, limit our offensive possessions, and make it a 4th quarter game where anything can happen.   A fast start for us is going to be key.  

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I did have that game on last night (granted in multi-view) and this is spot on. It felt like if the Fresno State QB could have gotten into any grove they had a chance. The Final score does not at all indicate how close this game was until that last INT mistake. 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/41074439/michigan-taps-davis-warren-starting-qb-fresno-state

QB is a leukemia survivor. Amazing

Warren said he felt "a range of emotions" when learning that he had won the starting job and reflected on his journey and those who had helped him. He was diagnosed with leukemia in March 2019 and went through chemotherapy before returning to play four games during the 2019 season. His 2020 high school season was wiped out by COVID-19

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Keep 7 in the box with low safeties, double their TE, and dare the QB to beat us.

On offense, short and intermediate passing game them to death.  Bolden could have a huge game in this one.

Fresno State was able to get behind the Michigan safeties on several occasions and then the QB couldn’t connect. I’m guessing that gets noted in film review this week. I don’t think that was any kind of smokescreen by Michigan. I don’t think their safeties are that good. 

• Like 1