Week 2, 2024: Texas at Michigan

Wulaw Horn

4 minutes ago, D3zii said:

It’s a lot of rat poison out there!!! 

I hope Sark has the boys heads right!!!

This isn’t that type of game. This will be the national game. Texas gets up for these types of games. I might worry about coming out flat vs someone like Kentucky. Not to mention Sark has been prepping for this game for months. Players have been prepping for months, even if the coaches didn’t tell them. 

6 minutes ago, Bob Lives! said:

Can someone give us the locations of gameday and big noon kick off in Ann Arbor this weekend?

Big noon will be in the pioneer field. 

College Gameday will be at ferry field next to the surly horns tailgate. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, jdhorn92 said:

Earnest Shazor tipped it iirc

image.thumb.png.5145b575f24bb8012453529038d26fae.png

I don't remember it being tipped but it wobbled like it for sure.  Here are a few pics, I seem to remember another pic with view behind Mangum that shows ball going cleanly between defenders arms.  I remember my Michigan buddy emailed me one of those pics a few days after the game and I didn't believe it at first.

Screenshot_20240903-195104.png

Screenshot_20240903-183454.png

Screenshot_20240903-183338.png

Screenshot_20240903-195907.png

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I'm reading and hearing a lot of thinking around the notion that Michigan "held a lot back" against Fresno.

I can follow that from the defensive perspective and agree. Fine. I also know that Martindale is going to blitz ridiculous amount of time and he's very likely to do it a bunch with Barham, the Maryland LB transfer. They think he's a great blitzer, so that is a Martindale wet dream. Ewers' numbers when blitzed drop off historically, so that adds to that interest. I expect to see plenty of mugged fronts and weird looks before a few drop back and 1 or 2 come from different places until Ewers handles it. Not incredibly bold to think that.

Now, on offense, I'm interested in understanding what in the fuck they were holding back. They tried shit with Orji, they were breaking in new players everywhere (including a new QB), they barely led 13-3 after 3 quarters. They weren't holding back a fucking thing. That was an offense trying to figure out how to play together and also get a win. 

I'm assuming this will be a close game, but I'm also not sure how Michigan is going to score barring short fields via turnover. They're slow at WR, they're inexperienced at QB and OL, they have a big name back that looks pedestrian, and then you have the star TE that isn't a secret. They're going to sustain a bunch of drives because Texas lacks Sweat and Murphy? Okay.

Just caught up on this thread, and have been thinking this the whole time. This isn't some high flying offensive team with a wild playbook that they're sitting on. Their complete offense is pretty vanilla, what are we expecting them to unleash?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BachelorTrek said:

I didn't say it did. I was providing historical context on these Meatchicken chokers in big games at home.

Also, they are still part of the BIG SLOW TEN.

It’s not historical context for anyone who will be playing on Saturday. 

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

This isn’t that type of game. This will be the national game. Texas gets up for these types of games. I might worry about coming out flat vs someone like Kentucky. Not to mention Sark has been prepping for this game for months. Players have been prepping for months, even if the coaches didn’t tell them. 

Yeah ultimately there are some mental hurdles the team has to get used to, it has to get used to being the top dog, and not falling for the rat poison.

But Michigan is not that. They are the defending champs and that is good enough to keep them mentally focused.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 7KHorn said:

I don't remember it being tipped but it wobbled like it for sure.  Here are a few pics, I seem to remember another pic with view behind Mangum that shows ball going cleanly between defenders arms.  I remember my Michigan buddy emailed me one of those pics a few days after the game and I didn't believe it at first.

I’ll never understand how this kick wasn’t blocked. I remember watching it and yelling “no” because I thought it had been blocked and was going to land somewhere near the goal line. I was shocked when it went through.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, 7KHorn said:

Brown told the senior "You're the luckiest human being in the world because your last kick at Texas will win the Rose Bowl." 

• Hook 'Em 5

30 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Crap, good point. Didn't even think about the possibility of a team with a 23-game home winning streak playing well on Saturday. Definitely changes the calculus.

No way Sark and the team are mentally preparing for the biggest stadium in CFB against a top 10 opponent differently than fucking Cougar High. Zero

• Haha 4
  • Drool 1

Saw the same things y'all did. QB was bad, but Loveland is a potential problem. 

Not a lot of opportunities for defensive guys to put up tape against 6'-5" high round prospect tight ends. You want the scouts attention? Go shut that motherfucker down. Not even for the whole game, just consistently fuck up his game and keep him from being a reliable safety blanket. That tape is going to get played over and over by scouts. 

They'll have help. Calling Michigan's QBs inaccurate would be a compliment. There will be lots of opportunities for contested balls and highlight plays. One way, or the other.  

Our D will be ready. 

Michigan's QBs are so bad they're throwing balls into the ground on a consistent basis. Orji and Davis are awful this year. There WR's are slow as molasses. Their TE is their biggest weapon and I highly, highly doubt he scores more than once. Their RB's are the definition of meh to mid. I have no idea how Edwards made the cover of NCAA 25. Their offense is just bad. Pretty much shut down the run and you're good. Sark will have a game plan that he's probably been working on for 9 months. This game has been circled. It's not like our players haven't been to a loud stadium before in a hostile environment. It's fine. These dudes will be prepared. Bama had more 1st-2nd round players drafted last year and we won by double digits over the greatest coach in modern history in their house. 

• Hook 'Em 4

9 hours ago, NYCHORN2013 said:

Just caught up on this thread, and have been thinking this the whole time. This isn't some high flying offensive team with a wild playbook that they're sitting on. Their complete offense is pretty vanilla, what are we expecting them to unleash?

CJ Vogel had a nice stat on one of the OTF live streams - Michigan ran play action on 3 of Davis Warren's 26 drop back. There are ways to sandbag a vanilla offense. 

13 hours ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Forgive me if I don’t think a 1991 game will mean fuck all on Saturday. No one playing was even born. 

Well, considering Michigan is slower than shit except for 1 CB, and we have elite skill position players all over the field, the comparison is apt.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Well, considering Michigan is slower than shit except for 1 CB, and we have elite skill position players all over the field, the comparison is apt.

The more I watch Edwards, the less a like him. I think he runs with blinders on and Scipio (I believe) said he is a head case. Apparently, if things dont start well he has been known to sulk on the bench. That said the guy is far from slow. He can make you pay, when they open up holes for him (if he finds them). Michigan can lull you to sleep and all of sudden Edwards pops off a big one. 

11 hours ago, NYCHORN2013 said:

Different looks in a creative run game 

3 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Not to dampen any confidence around here, but if the game day weather trends more toward rain, would that be of some help to Michigan? 

Think the rain is Friday, Saturday will be football weather that we don’t usually get til November. Texas will have a little more pep in their step playing in the AC. 

On 9/1/2024 at 8:28 AM, Wulaw Horn said:

This is what college football should be all about. 2 blue bloods squaring off in front of 100,000 people with gameday in town and the eyes of the college football nation upon our horns. 
this squad, I believe, is really freaking good. We are going to take it to a 1 dimensional Michigan team. 
Texas is going to win and it’s going to be like Ohio State in 2005 and be the platform to launch us into a pretty special season. 
game week thoughts and articles and commentary goes here. 

The Eyes of Texas are mutha fucking upon you, Michigan. I'm pumped. You're pumped. We are all pumped! Mudhole will be stomped on many a maize and blue players around 12:30 PM (CST), Saturday, September 7th.

• Hook 'Em 4

16 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

So, most of my typical game-watching pals are actually going TO the game.  I will not (been out of town for 5 weekends in a row, so wasn't going to make another one happen).  Any of y'all gonna watch somewhere in central to NW Austin area (I'm in NW Austin).  Would be happy to connect with a Surly game-watching crew.

Drive to San Antonio and we can get real tacos and watch the Horns

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, 7KHorn said:

We were at that game. What a fun time. It was cold. 

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Texasborn91 said:

I just don’t see Michigan being able to stay in this game with such shit Qb play. We would have to bring our B- for them to make this a game. That’s not fandom that’s just facts. 
I think if Texas gets to 24 that will be plenty. 

It is possible that Michigan just had a game like we did against Wyoming last year. Similar level of opponent (good lower level team capable of beating p4 teams). You'd think Ewers was terrible based upon just that game. The difference is that we had plenty of other game tape on him to prove he could play at a high level. Now, I think it is more likely that Michigan is going to struggle offensively this year. But I don't think it is necessarily a safe assumption that Michigan's QB play will be anywhere near that bad on Saturday. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

The more I watch Edwards, the less a like him. I think he runs with blinders on and Scipio (I believe) said he is a head case. Apparently, if things dont start well he has been known to sulk on the bench. That said the guy is far from slow. He can make you pay, when they open up holes for him (if he finds them). Michigan can lull you to sleep and all of sudden Edwards pops off a big one. 

Edwards is a good #2 back/change of pace back. He's not an every down grind it out type of back...like you said he's a hit the hole and make you pay homerun back.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

10 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

It is possible that Michigan just had a game like we did against Wyoming last year. Similar level of opponent (good lower level team capable of beating p4 teams). You'd think Ewers was terrible based upon just that game. The difference is that we had plenty of other game tape on him to prove he could play at a high level. Now, I think it is more likely that Michigan is going to struggle offensively this year. But I don't think it is necessarily a safe assumption that Michigan's QB play will be anywhere near that bad on Saturday. 

Obviously anything can happen, but they are starting a former walk-on because Orji didn't improve enough in the offseason. Their QB situation this year, particularly for a defending national champion in the portal era - is a disaster. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Edwards is a good #2 back/change of pace back. He's not an every down grind it out type of back...like you said he's a hit the hole and make you pay homerun back.

He is going to be a guy that does well at the combine. He is a guy that you watch and just think this guy should be way better. Maybe one day he puts it together and hits his physical ceiling. Hope it isnt this week

Strengths:

• Big-play speed

• Receiving playmaker 

• Manufactured touches 

• NFL size and build

Concerns:

• Inconsistent vision

• Pass protection 

• Open-field elusiveness 

https://www.thedraftnetwork.com/2024/06/13/donovan-edwards-scouting-report-nfl-draft#google_vignette