Week 2, 2024: Texas at Michigan

Wulaw Horn

4 hours ago, naija said:

Will Johnson might be the top rated DB in next year's draft

Something wasn't right with Will Johnson in the opener. He was getting cooked against Fresno State and missed a couple series due to some type of injury. 

This is something that hasn't been discussed enough if he isn't healthy. 

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

4 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Not only that but it wasn't the same combo. The route concept that Fresno ran, where the inside receiver also runs a curl allows the defender to come off his man and jump the route. In that same alignment against Texas, he would have had to follow the inside receiver downfield and cleared out the area. 

Yeah, a double curl route to one side of the field is just a recipe for disaster, low reward super high risk.

But I would not worry about that, the cushion their CBs give should be a pre snap read for Quinn

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Do they? The DC is new. The DLine coach is new. The LB coach is new. The DBs coach is new. Why are they so great?

There's a theory that it doesn't matter because they've been running the Martindale scheme this entire time. Never mind Harbaugh's record before Stallions began putting on a mustache and calling himself Liberty Mutual detective. It has nothing to do with sign stealing, and all to do with "they've been doing this the entire time, guys!!!"

3 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Saw this on Twitter, had a Link to Show More - was disappointed at result

I was scrolling Twitter and found some amazing insight into the game this Saturday. She brings up 2 really good points.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

I was scrolling Twitter and found some amazing insight into the game this Saturday. She brings up 2 really good points.

I have a sneaking suspicion this trash will be the 4th wife of the Louisiana shoe-painter who was trolling these forums for business.  

geeze....I am amazed at all the wimpy moaning and groaning about the MIGHTY MU defense....Get a grip. We have played great defenses and we gave as good as we got. Washington had a good defense....Had it not been for their great offense we would have won going away...Meat chicken don't have that WU offense.2022 Bama beat us with an offense that Meat chicken don't have either.

I am not saying we are gonna boat race em, but if we don't have turnovers we will be fine.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Droopy said:

Michigan -

I respect your school and team. I hope, sincerely, that Texas drags their nuts across your team’s chin on Saturday. Congratulations on all of your success. 

Droopy  🤘🏼

ps - Your hatred for Ohio St is valid. 

co-signed

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Something wasn't right with Will Johnson in the opener. He was getting cooked against Fresno State and missed a couple series due to some type of injury. 

Both Moss and Galena had big receptions against him.

Michigan lost a lot more than starters from the 2023 team, their overall returning production ranks 128th and defensive returning production ranks 109th.  This team has basically nothing to do with last year.

I don't want to read too much into week 1.  I think this will be a close game, but there's a lot to be optimistic about.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I don’t think there is anything wrong with him. Last year Michigan did a good job getting home to QBs and getting hits on QBs. In game 1 vs Fresno he had to cover longer than he normally would have the year prior. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Always like Rick. I lived in Boulder when he was there. His was perfect for Colorado, building a dynasty with Texas & California kids. Colorado ended Lectric-Leland's Heisman campaign and Top 5 A&M's dreams. Tragic when he left.

He was funny when he talked about Troy Aikman transferring to UCLA. Rick was QB when Troy showed up; said he looked like Tarzan.

9 hours ago, South Austin said:

Not to dampen any confidence around here, but if the game day weather trends more toward rain, would that be of some help to Michigan? 

Turf field should drain well. If there is any slippage, our WR's will toast the DB's.

9 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Goddamn this is so much better as a day game. 

Agree 100%. I started drinking at 10 am in New Orleans, and was beyond fucked up walking to the game. Way to old to be doing that shit. Much shorter walk on Saturday.

8 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

My biggest concern is we have a tendency to make shitty quarterbacks look like Heisman Trophy candidates

I think those days are over. The two pics against CSU showed awareness, athleticism, and closing speed.

7 hours ago, jdhorn92 said:

My take is this secondary is closer to Ross, Griffin brothers, Earl etc.. .  I could be wrong , but this secondary has more Huffs than BJ Foster (thank you for Sugar Bowl caused fumble) and Chris Adimoras

I agree. It's moving in that direction. 

6 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

... one position group that is not being talked about enough or given any credit is the Texas Offensive Line. 

Yeah, the Michigan DL is filled with beasts. I hope Flood and the players have a little chip on this shoulder going into the game. We didn't play great in Week 1, which is fairly typical for O-lines. But all of the talk is is the Michigan DL when we have tons of starter/game experience with multiple players with elite talent. 

Yeah, I think we're getting ready to see the mean streaks these guys have. I like see the IOL guys pulling against CSU.

5 hours ago, MrX said:

By my count, 11 guys from 2022 Bama’s defense got drafted to date, including 3 first rounders. Hard to say this Michigan team is gonna top that. 

Thank you. Michigan have some studs, but not 11 of them, with a brand new DC and all the position coaches.

No way their scout team has any correlation to Texas.

3 hours ago, Rimbo said:

The best defense Ewers faces is the one he faces on every day other than Saturday.  when he looks in the mirror. 

FIFY.

Quinn biggest problem is starting slow out of the gate. If he starts on rhythm with the scripted plays, game over.

41 minutes ago, Funk Doctor Spock said:

Does Owen Wilson not like football? I'd be nice to have more of our celebrities show up. It's not like we're lacking. Shit, even Jon Hamm. 

His call sign in Behind Enemy Lines was Longhorn. It was painted on the F-18.

• Hook 'Em 9

4 hours ago, Codaxx said:

Michigan guys think Grant has the higher ceiling between the 2 (not the better player currently). He just hasnt consistently shown that. This play got a lot of pub. 

It would be a real shame if our RBs got tackled from behind after giving up 35 yards give or take.  Real shame.  

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Yeah, they lost 9 starters on defense and the NB. 1 DT, 2 DEs, 3 LBs, 1 NB, 1 CB, 2 safeties. 

Graham is back, Johnson is back. Those guys go early. The backup DT who is now a starter, if he can show that he can overcome his Sydir Mitchell-esque conditioning issues, is allegedly a top 50 guy. 

The rest? Well, well, well, just rinse and repeat and the new guys are as good as the old guys. Transfers at LB that were not lauded lesser Big 10 programs are suddenly amazing. The program is touting Barham as a high draft pick because he’s a Big 10 thumper. I guess we’re gonna find out. 

Anyone accusing this Michigan defense as the best defense Texas has faced lately or will face this season is basing that take on what that other Michigan defense did with 3 of the same guys. 

Similarly, anyone worrying over the Michigan offense is doing so solely off of what they saw from other Michigan offenses in other seasons. They bring one starter back in Loveland. Fully new OL, including transfers, unknowns at QB, lowly rated new WRs, and Edwards (Corum’s backup) and unknowns behind him. 

The premise that this Michigan is that Michigan is laughable. They had a wholly separate offseason approach from prior seasons, they have a new DC, and they’re replacing Jim fucking Harbaugh. 

No one should really be expecting a blowout, but no one here is a buffoon for thinking that -7.5 makes sense or even looks good. 

Idk I'm going to have my butt puckered every Saturday this season for no good reason. This weekend is no exception. I'm still getting used to the fact that we're Texas again. Been trying to speak it into existence for so long.

Edited by Bevo14
  • Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Sal said:

Listened to some NY hedge fund managers (picture copious hair gel and 3+ shirt buttons undone so you can see their chest hair) complain at a conference today that their Texas alum colleagues have been beating their chests lately. That’s what I like to hear

Well, fuck 'em. If they didn't want their chests beaten, they shoulda left their shirts buttoned.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

He was in a boot early August. They kept him away from the media and were really coy about his availability. That was still almost a month ago at this point but now anytime he is asked it is he is 100%
  • Hook 'Em 1

Michigan guys think Grant has the higher ceiling between the 2 (not the better player currently). He just hasnt consistently shown that. This play got a lot of pub. 

Anyone who is saying this is just doing it for the hot take. Graham is and will be the better player.

Was that an insane play to get off the ground and chase the ball carrier down. Absolutely. Is grant a freak. Absolutely. Would anyone take grant over graham to anchor their DL for the next 10 years. Unlikely.

1 minute ago, Hank_Hill said:

Yea, a large portion of people choosing fuckhole Texas over staying in Michigan is not the flex that person thinks it is.

I watched one of his YouTube videos earlier. His voice is beyond annoying and his football analysis is a level below @Helobious's. 

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

4 hours ago, Droopy said:

Michigan -

I respect your school and team. I hope, sincerely, that Texas drags their nuts across your team’s chin on Saturday. Congratulations on all of your success. 

Droopy  🤘🏼

ps - Your hatred for Ohio St is valid. 

Cosigned.

• Hook 'Em 1

Great article/info about the Mich QB……

“A senior from Los Angeles, Warren wasn’t even named the successor to J.J. McCarthy as Michigan’s starting QB until less than a week ago. Even then, it was kept under wraps until Saturday night.”

https://tinyurl.com/2csqx5vu

Edited by Cairn Horn88
  • Hook 'Em 1