Week 2, 2024: Texas at Michigan

Wulaw Horn

5 hours ago, Funk Doctor Spock said:

Does Owen Wilson not like football? I'd be nice to have more of our celebrities show up. It's not like we're lacking. Shit, even Jon Hamm. 

Hamm doesn’t want to explain that he got kicked out for leading a pledge around by his balls with the nail puller end of a hammer. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Weather looks perfect. Sunny and 62 for a high 

I hope so….but they are getting rain Friday and a frontal passage….so north wind on Saturday, possibly slick field turf. And knowing those cheating fucks….they’ll probably run sprinklers out there to irrigate plastic. Anything to slow us down.

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

Thanks for posting! I am skeptical immediately that Kelvin Banks isn't listed as an all american candidate.

Edit: after reading I think he's not far off from the truth. His skepticism of our WR talent seems normal to someone who doesn't follow the team as closely as we do. I know he was trying to only focus on using the CSU game as his definition of our offense - this seems weird to me. Our scheme doesn't change much year-to-year. Will there be added wrinkles and tweaks? Sure. Otherwise, the article is about what I would expect. I won't rehash the conversation that's been happening here the last two days but put me in the camp that calling this Michigan defense better than 2022 or 2023 Alabama as a stretch. Also, he completely misses me when trying to lump in the Ohio State defense this year as elite.

Edited by Noozak
  • Hook 'Em 8

I skimmed it, it basically downplays all of Texas’ strengths while failing to mention how they match against Michigan’s counterparts. 

Im sure he thinks he did something with all the time he spent on it, but it was lacking in both depth and balance. 

• Hook 'Em 7

29 minutes ago, Juicy said:

If you want some super nerdy breakdown from the Michigan perspective on Texas' offense. Alex gets really deep into the mechanics. 

https://mgoblog.com/content/fee-fi-foe-film-texas-offense-2024#read-more

If you don't want to get too deep in the weeds, here is a cheat sheet for Michigan's Defense. 

2024%2002%20Texas-offense_0.jpg

It's an ok assessment.  He's underestimating the skill players besides  Bond and Blue.  The run blocking is bad because the Texas DL are jags and the OL don't face disruptive players in practice anymore. Backs make yards in spite of it, but the OL will get better (maybe not in this game).  He did correctly identify the key to the game which is pressure on Ewers.

Edited by ClubWhatever

Am I reading the chart correctly, such that Banks is not All American caliber (Ewers too, for that matter), but lists Johnson and Graham (no quarrel with those two as AA caliber)?  

It is hard for me to take seriously any breakdown that doesn't classify Banks as AA caliber.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, someguy said:

Am I reading the chart correctly, such that Banks is not All American caliber (Ewers too, for that matter), but lists Johnson and Graham (no quarrel with those two as AA caliber)?  

It is hard for me to take seriously any breakdown that doesn't classify Banks as AA caliber.

Alex doesn't do the chart, he just adds the chart to his breakdown so people know who is where. Anyone with the star up is a really good player. 

51 minutes ago, Juicy said:

If you want some super nerdy breakdown from the Michigan perspective on Texas' offense. Alex gets really deep into the mechanics. 

If you don't want to get too deep in the weeds, here is a cheat sheet for Michigan's Defense. 

You spelled shitty wrong. 

1 minute ago, MotownHorn said:

All you need is a personal trainer, personal chef, unlimited grocery budget, etc.

You don't need all that shit to get fit.  All you need to do is eat less and move more.  And don't drink calories (unless it is a protein shake you are using to replace a meal).  You will lose weight if you consume less than burn. Eating lean protein and veggies is cheaper than processed shit  (and super cheap if you meal prep in large batches and freeze individual portions).  Not to mention what you save by not drinking alcohol.

No one needs a personal trainer.  Get an app on your phone if you don't know enough about resistance training.  If you don't know how to cook, get on YouTube.  But cooking lean proteins and veggies is not rocket science.  Neither is making a decent salad. You can track your calorie deficit by logging your food and activity with any number of free apps.

I have a home gym buying used equipment I have maybe spent $1500 over the last few years.  And truthfully, I could get by with doing pushups, burpees, pull ups, and other body weight exercises. Running, jogging, walking, hiking, etc. are free.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

It's an ok assessment.  He's underestimating the skill players besides  Bond and Blue.  The run blocking is bad because the Texas DL are jags and the OL don't face disruptive players in practice anymore. Backs make yards in spite of it, but the OL will get better (maybe not in this game).  He did correctly identify the key to the game which is pressure on Ewers.

Conner and Majors have never been good runblockers, but the same shit was said last year ahead of the Bama game. Bama will bully Texas, Texas won't be able to run the ball, Bama will dictate the game outcome by owning TOP, etc. Hell, maybe all of it is true for Michigan this time, but I doubt the Texas OL, or any unit, isn't amped up for this game and ready to get hats on hats and move the ball. 

• Hook 'Em 6

51 minutes ago, Juicy said:

I like Alex's work generally and I think this is a good descriptive writeup of our offense. I think that he understandably misses a couple things as an outsider only looking at two games (one of which was extremely vanilla): projection on our skill position guys, Sark's dedication to the run and to deep shots, and some of Quinn's strengths and weaknesses. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, The Dog said:

Nobody is talking about the massive elephant in the room - Michigan's QB situation.

He is a walk on and he sucks ass. His backup is RB pretending he is a QB. Our defense should be able to make them one dimensional and then feast. We will give up less than 17 points even in the worst of scenarios. 

I read that whole Michigan writeup and I can't believe the guy is going with "I haven't heard of these WRs so they must not be very good". We might not have an individual as good as X or Mitchell (as of right now, at least), but we go legitimately 5 deep, probably 6 deep, with guys that can absolutely hurt you.

He does make good points about their DL against our interior OL. It's a strength against a weakness. If they can pressure Quinn with 4, we'll have a lot of trouble sustaining drives. I wouldn't say that staying calm in the face of pressure is one of Quinn's strengths.

• Hook 'Em 3

Hayden Conner isn’t a road grader by any stretch, but he is a very good pass blocking guard. He also doesn’t get blown back too often. Jake Majors plays with good leverage, awareness, and nastiness when he isn’t illegal snapping or false starting. DJ Campbell is probably gonna see fewer snaps this week if he hasn’t stepped it up significantly in practice. Cole Hutson looked promising last week. 

Wouldn’t call our interior OL a weakness. 

Edited by Atticus
Grammar police caught me
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Juicy said:

Wtf is a dangerman 

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

OL Deep-Dig from Alex Dunlap (best game from the offensive tackle position in the 13 years he has been doing the deep dig)

Spoiler

Skill Player Snap Counts and Game-by-Game Percentages of Offensive Snaps (Through Week 1)
Deep-Dig-2024-Skill-Player-Participation.jpg

***please note that exact snap-count numbers may differ from other sources at times, as the Deep Dig does not count plays as offensive player snaps that are blown dead due to penalty, punts, extra points, field goals, spiked balls, victory formations, kneel-downs, etc.***

Personnel-Grouping Frequency Overall and by Game (Through Week 1)
Deep-Dig-2024-Personnel-Utilization-by-Game.jpg

Tight End Total Snap Counts and Alignment Data (Through Week 1)
Deep-Dig-2024-TE-Usage-Chart.jpg

Team Target Share By Week (Through Week 1)
Deep-Dig-2024-Target-Share-By-Game.jpg

Deep Dig OL Grading Scale (each snap by each player is graded as its own independent event)
Deep-Dig-2021-OL-GRADING-SCALE.jpg

OL Grades (Colorado State)

LT Kelvin Banks - 48 snaps
No disruption allowed
DEEP DIG GRADE: 84.96

LG/C Hayden Conner - 45 snaps (4 at center)
1 TFL, 1 run-stuff allowed
1 knockdown
DEEP DIG GRADE: 78.78

C Jake Majors - 48 snaps
1 false start, 1 snap infraction
DEEP DIG GRADE: 77.92

RG DJ Campbell - 45 snaps
1 sack, 1 QB hit allowed
DEEP DIG GRADE: 77.45

RG/LG Cole Hutson - 25 snaps
1 run-stuff allowed
1 knockdown
DEEP DIG GRADE: 77.4

RT Cam Williams - 52 snaps
No disruption allowed
DEEP DIG GRADE: 83.11

Reserves

LG Neto Umeozulu - 23 snaps
No disruption allowed
DEEP DIG GRADE: 77.36

C Conner Robertson - 19 snaps
No disruption allowed
DEEP DIG GRADE: N/A

RT Brandon Baker - 19 snaps
No disruption allowed

LT Trevor Goosby - 15 snaps
No disruption allowed

LT Malik Agbo - 9 snaps
No disruption allowed

RG Jaydon Chatman - 8 snaps
No disruption allowed

OL Grades by Week (Through Week 1)
Deep-Dig-2024-OL-Grades-by-Week-.jpg

OL Snaps-per-Disruption Allowed (Through Week 1)
Deep-Dig-2024-OL-Snaps-Per-Disruption.jpg

OL Snaps-per-Disruption Allowed BY WEEK - Through Season (Through Week 1)
Deep-Dig-2024-S_DIS-OL-BY-WEEK.jpg

2023 OL Snaps-per-Disruption Allowed Versus Historical Precedent (Through Week 1)
*chart will be added as each player reaches minimum 100-snap threshold for eligibility, likely as early as next week for some

QUICK FINAL THOUGHTS

There has never been a game where two Texas offensive linemen both scored in the 80s on the Deep Dig scale until today, at the start of our 13th season. Kelvin Banks and Cam Williams both played like first-round NFL picks in this game and the rest of the offensive line all played at a level that was more than acceptable, including the backups and reserves.

You don't need us to tell you Kelvin Banks is very good at football and if you've been watching him, you don't need us to let you in on the fact that Cam Williams is a star-in-the-making. If he plays like this for the rest of the season (which is going to be really, really hard ... starting Saturday against No.8 and No.0 from Michigan off the edges), he'll not only be gone after this season, but he could be a first-round pick.

He moves so well (and not "for his size", he simply moves well, period). He's balanced and even-keel in all directions and just has such length for reach blocks in the run game and reining in opposing pass-rushers in the pass game. He's absurdly strong and monstrous physically. Just a monster.

The only thing we'll say is that if we get a ticky-tack ref coming up here in the schedule, he's gonna get called for holding and maybe more than once. He's a little handsy, and it's fine, they all are, but I'm sure Flood is going to let him know to keep that stuff inside the chest plate or it's gonna get called.

And some will argue that it's not that big a deal because Colorado State is a bad football team, and they'd have the second part of that sentiment correct, but not the first. It does matter because if you'll recall last season, Texas started out against Rice (also bad) and the offensive line looked like hot garbage. Compare the grades and notes above from the Colorado State game to these copy and pasted from the column detailing the opening game of the 2023 season:

OL Grades (Rice)

LT Kelvin Banks - 67 snaps
1 sack, 1 TFL, 1 run-stuff allowed
1 pin, 3 knockdowns
DEEP DIG GRADE: 77.99

LG Hayden Conner - 67 snaps
4 run-stuffs allowed
1 facemask penalty
DEEP DIG GRADE: 73.96

C Jake Majors - 67 snaps
2 run-stuffs, 1 QB hit allowed
1 knockdown
1 false start penalty
DEEP DIG GRADE: 73.81

RG DJ Campbell - 56 snaps
1 sack, 1 pressure, 1 QB hit, 1 run-stuff allowed
1 knockdown
1 false start penalty
DEEP DIG GRADE: 74.11

RT Christian Jones - 67 snaps
1 pressure allowed
1 pin, 2 knockdowns
DEEP DIG GRADE: 78.54

Texas got it turned around -- to a large degree, at least -- the next week versus Alabama, but it was a highly disconcerting stumble out of the gates. What we saw Saturday was as close to the polar opposite as anyone could reasonably expect.

Everyone who watched with a close eye will have a complaint here or there about Hayden Conner, Jake Majors and/or DJ Campbell because all three had a play or two that stuck out as ones they'd love to have back.

For Conner, it was the play-side half of his body in the zone run game that was his usual bugaboo. When he's trying to run laterally and make angle-blocks, there are times when he allows too much penetration upfield through the play-side half of his body. It led to vast swaths of run-stuffs and TFLs last season. About this we'll say three things: 1) at least he doesn't seem hurt this year like he seemed last year and it was not a frequent issue against CSU; 2) last year it happened so much more frequently when moving to his left but in this game he allowed one moving to his right and the other to his left indicating its probably more of a technique thing than an undisclosed injury to his left lower body; and 3) If he doesn't get it worked out it's going to be a long day for him against NO.55 from Michigan. He's exactly the type of penetrator that we worry about going against Conner. If he has real trouble to start the game, Flood should be ready to deploy Cole Hutson (who, like the rest of the OL, played really well overall in this game).

For Majors it was just the false-start stuff. The snap infractions have to frustrate people like they frustrate us, but in the end, Majors is good and if you look at the overall picture of the CSU game and not a few plays that pissed you off you'll see the same thing for him as you see for DJ Campbell: they played at a level that would provide no detriment to any offensive game plan worth its salt. In short, better than baseline expectation. And those three were just the rank-and-file while the tackles were the stars.

This has been a long time coming to get to chronicle a truly monstrous offensive line for the Texas Longhorns.

Now, the question becomes ... can this group be any semblance in Week 2 of what it was in Week 1 against the best defense it will face all season?

We'll find out.

Onward to Ann Arbor.

• Hook 'Em 8

18 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Hayden Conner’s isn’t a road grader by any stretch, but he is a very good pass blocking guard. He also doesn’t get blown back too often. Jake Majors plays with good leverage, awareness, and nastiness when he isn’t illegal snapping or false starting. DJ Campbell is probably gonna see fewer snaps this week if he hasn’t stepped it up significantly in practice. Cole Hutson looked promising last week. 

Wouldn’t call our interior OL a weakness. 

Hayden Conner's what?

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The tailbacks are more smoke than fire. Edwards can blast through an open hole with the best of them, but if he has to move, he's fucked. The other TB is plain as grits.

Jaydon Blue is who Michigan fans wish Edwards was.

Edited by JBJ
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Juicy said:

His dismissal of Banks is pretty crazy for a guy he admits is projected to the first round. Interesting write up, but definitely looking through Michigan blue colored glasses. Not looking at anything but CSU and the sugar bowl (where the offense was mainly hampered by fumbles ...) is a strange way to approach an indepth analysis. It is especially strange when your primary contention is that Texas has never seen a dline like Michigan has, yet ignore what were two very good Alabama Dlines in 2022 and 2023 that faced many of the some Texas lineman. Also seems to ignore that the Texas Oline went against a pretty similar dline last year every practice. 

Michigan's defense will slow us down. But it will not shut us down. 

Edited by Dahobbs

2 hours ago, Juicy said:

I like the write-up...  Keep thinking of of Texas the same way Alabama did last year and prepare thy anus.

Since this isn’t a neutral site, the officials should be SEC refs. When Michigan comes to Austin in 2027, it should be Big10 refs. (If for some reason we do end up with a Big 10 crew, then we will have an SEC crew in Austin in 2027.)

That’s how it’s supposed to go. 

• Hook 'Em 1