Week 2, 2024: Texas at Michigan

Wulaw Horn

17 minutes ago, Josef Pwag said:

If you have a concern, you must believe the Michigan short passing game has some capacity to hurt us in the shallow middle. What is the foundation of this belief? The abortion we saw last Saturday?

Michigan has one QB who has barely played football (because of cancer & covid) and a running QB who would be starting if he was 50% of DJ U. No matter who starts, he will be playing behind a new o-line comprised of 5 guys who have only started last weeks games. We know they will run and use the TE. 

Just because OU and UH did something last year doesn't mean the worst QB group I can remember Texas facing (since we steamrolled OU 49-0), behind a brand new o-line, can do the same.

I'm worried about their TE getting into the flats on split zone RPOs/PAs, but that's about it.

4 hours ago, Brandywine said:

This has probably been asked, but, If Ewers struggles will Sark go to Arch or let Quinn play through it?

Do you think Sark is looking to start a QB controversey? Only way he comes out is hurt or the outcome is no longer in question.

Edited by Longhornlove
double post
  • Hook 'Em 1

The whole Arch thing is funny. So many people talking about a perfectly conventional and boring QB situation. Ewers is the starter and Manning is the backup and nothing unusual has happened. Next year, or if Ewers gets injured, Manning will be the starter.

Yet people out there keep acting crazy about it. Celebrity is a weird thing.

• Hook 'Em 5

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Benny is also recovering from a broken angle and is playing tentatively even in practice. They don't have proven DT depth.

Yikes. I don't think Jerrin Thompson ever recovered from that injury. 

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, Fud said:

If you're on On3, there's a good poster on their Michigan site who knows his stuff (MrSharkFB) if you're desperate for moar Michigan takes

55 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

So post them?

53 minutes ago, Fud said:

No

He posts a ton, so I'd rather not go through and copy all of his posts

Here's one

"Last night, Michigan ran 17 zone scheme run plays to 15 gap scheme run plays. If you look at last year, they did the same thing week 1 against ECU. In that game they were 19 zone and 11 gap. In every other game that season, they were more gap than zone except Iowa,. In fact, they finished the year with 301 gap scheme runs to 187 zone. We didn't get a ton of vertical movement from my 1st watch recollection on zone runs. I'll be interested to see if we start to migrate to more gap (pin & pull, counter, duo, power)."

He also thinks the touchdown they gave up was because Wink did a cover zero blitz like he was in the NFL and Fresno was ready for it 

27 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

The whole Arch thing is funny. So many people talking about a perfectly conventional and boring QB situation. Ewers is the starter and Manning is the backup and nothing unusual has happened. Next year, or if Ewers gets injured, Manning will be the starter.

Yet people out there keep acting crazy about it. Celebrity is a weird thing.

I'm surprised all the push-pull/wishcasting stories/rumors of "Arch WILL 1000% TRANSFER away from Texas!" blah, blah, blah, have stopped.

I feel whelmed and quite gratified that there's a whole nation of CFB fans that are SO Envious of Texas getting Arch that they kept up that Insanity for that long -- Hell, they may STILL be writing those stories right now.  Lulz.

I am coming around on the 2006 Ohio State at Texas comparison to this game, except we are better than 2006 OSU and 2024 Michigan is not as good as 2006 Texas. Ohio State controlled the entire 2nd half of that game and cruised to a 24-7 win. Thinking this game mirrors that one.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, Longhornlove said:

Do you think Sark is looking to start a QB controversey? Only way he comes out is hurt or the outcome is no longer in question.

Finally, someone answers the question. This was a question I was being asked from my friends and thought I’d pass it on. I totally agree with your answer. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Rewatched the CSU game last night and I'm feeling better about our RB room. I don't buy into cultish coach worshipping, but we really need to hang on to Tashard Choice, whatever it takes.

I was afraid Tre Wisner would turn into a wasted scholly with all the good HS RB's the year he came in, but the kid runs really hard and has some moves as well. We know what Blue can do when he's on his game, but I feel like Jerrick Gibson can get us some yards between the tackles, very promising first game even when the competition is taken into account. WR speaks for itself...maybe the deepest room in Longhorn history. Oh, and Michael Taffe may make fools of us all once the season is done, and if he does then I won't fret about any safeties perceived to be more athletic haunting the sidelines.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I don’t understand the concept of not being allowed to make a prediction if you’re calling the game.

There would be people bitching that the announcer is slanting their commentary in favor of the team he picked to win, so the stations just tell them to be neutral. It usually works as long as your name isn't Tim Brando. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

There would be people bitching that the announcer is slanting their commentary in favor of the team he picked to win, so the stations just tell them to be neutral. It usually works as long as your name isn't Tim Brando. 

I think i watched a video yesterday where he was on someone else's podcast/show and he predicted we should win. I don't know if I'm making that up or not, but I'm pretty sure I saw it. I'm trying to remember who he was talking to. I remember he was at his house and was a guest for about 10 mins. 

My concern is the bufu  B1G refs, but then again, the big 12 refs have prepared our anuses well enuf we should have calices , if not venereal warts, so we should be ready.

Is it confirmed that a Big12 crew is officiating the game? I looked earlier, but didn’t find anything. If Kevin Mar walks out of the tunnel then I hope the pole assassin’s monkey attacks him.
  • Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, Player said:

Is it confirmed that a Big12 crew is officiating the game? I looked earlier, but didn’t find anything. If Kevin Mar walks out of the tunnel then I hope the pole assassin’s monkey attacks him.

It’s a home and home it should be an SEC or B1G crew, the Big 12 crew was at the LSU/USC game because it was a neutral site game.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!

I can't tell if this holy fucking shit, I can't believe a big 12 crew is officiating this game, or I can't believe you guys are stupid enough to believe that's a possibility.

I really hope it's the latter, but given that this game was scheduled while we were in the big 12 I could see the contract saying that.  If true, I can't imagine CDC not negotiating a change.

It's almost always that the visiting team brings their conference officials each way.   The occasional deviation is when there's too many road games for a given conference that week.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, ousux said:

Rewatched the CSU game last night and I'm feeling better about our RB room. I don't buy into cultish coach worshipping, but we really need to hang on to Tashard Choice, whatever it takes.

I was afraid Tre Wisner would turn into a wasted scholly with all the good HS RB's the year he came in, but the kid runs really hard and has some moves as well. We know what Blue can do when he's on his game, but I feel like Jerrick Gibson can get us some yards between the tackles, very promising first game even when the competition is taken into account. WR speaks for itself...maybe the deepest room in Longhorn history. Oh, and Michael Taffe may make fools of us all once the season is done, and if he does then I won't fret about any safeties perceived to be more athletic haunting the sidelines.

My 13yo said Wisner is going to be the next Jonathan Brooks- having to wait his turn behind a couple of bad asses (like Brooks did behind Robinson and Johnson) but turn into a bad ass himself when given a chance. Don’t know if he’ll be right or not but so proud that he loves the longhorns so much that he can produce educated opinions.

• Hook 'Em 6

9 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

My 13yo said Wisner is going to be the next Jonathan Brooks- having to wait his turn behind a couple of bad asses (like Brooks did behind Robinson and Johnson) but turn into a bad ass himself when given a chance. Don’t know if he’ll be right or not but so proud that he loves the longhorns so much that he can produce educated opinions.

Agree with the teen on Wisner.

Losing two in the RB room before the season means he won't have to wait, and if he has a really good season he will at least move up to second next season with Blue gone to the NFL. Unless Baxter comes back better than ever next year Wisner will get plenty of snaps.

My concern is the bufu  B1G refs, but then again, the big 12 refs have prepared our anuses well enuf we should have calices , if not venereal warts, so we should be ready.
Not worried about it, if any team is given protection this year it will be the fuckeyes. Besides, is it possible to get worse than Kevin Mar and company?

So I finished the Netflix special on the Michigan sign stealing scandal. They are guilty as fuck, with zero remorse. What’s also interesting is that they just squeaked by Maryland, Ohio State and Alabama after the scandal was exposed. Stealing signs was a significant component to their winning. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Not a cat said:

I can't tell if this holy fucking shit, I can't believe a big 12 crew is officiating this game, or I can't believe you guys are stupid enough to believe that's a possibility.

I really hope it's the latter, but given that this game was scheduled while we were in the big 12 I could see the contract saying that.  If true, I can't imagine CDC not negotiating a change.

The latter. Come on.