Week 2, 2024: Texas at Michigan

Wulaw Horn

1 minute ago, TrashMaster G said:

Maybe we should try to use some kind of radio signal so we don't have to worry about signs being stolen.

I heard we're using the same hologram technology they used to have Tupac perform at Coachella. There's gonna be like two dozen Sarks calling different plays on the sideline. The players will be told via radio headset to run the play being called by, e.g., Sark #7.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

35 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:
40 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Wonder what our plan is to make sure we change up our signs?

This is the sort of detail that Texas cannot overlook.

I don't think this is Sark's first rodeo. Worry not about this.

5 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

The other ESPN hosts don’t have non-public information, and Kirk never tells them anything he hears?

I don’t think anyone would claim info is perfectly siloed, but I think most people could agree that the guys calling the game get access to more info than most, sometimes very specific stuff, and it’s not a good look to have them making predictions when people know this. 

Edited by Doc Daneeka

4 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

I don’t think anyone would claim info is perfectly siloed, but I think most people could agree that the guys calling the game get access to more info than most, sometimes very specific stuff, and it’s not a good look to have them making predictions when people know this. 

He didn't give a score prediction, but you could kind of tell he thought Texas would cover. He wasn't real subtle about it.

Did a search and did not see where this was posted, so apologies if posted elsewhere.  Michigan Defensive Film Study with Vance Bedford if you are so inclined.

Edited by ScottS
I searched so siap and ou sucks

Went back to watch the CSU game and just focused on the lines. 

I think too much has been made of the 118 rushing yards by CSU. In the entire first half, if you take away the final play of tbe half for 12 yards when Texas was just in deep prevent, CSU gained a total of 61 yards. We did not give up much on the ground at all. 

I couldn't find a yardage breakdown by quarter for rushing/passing, but almost all of their rushing yardage was after the game was over and the bench was in. After Texas scored the last TD at the beginning of the 4th CSU just started running almost every play to get out and gained 62 yds in the 4th quarter, probably at least 40 of them rushing. 

The D line got some penetration at times but was mostly very good at standing ground and allowing the linebackers to fly to the ball clean. 

On the other side the offensive line played well but had a few issues with overloads and stunts/twists. That could be an issue Saturday. 

After watching the game again I feel Michigan could have some real trouble with Sark's 2 back sets with Blue and Wisner. He really only used it for 1 drive but CSU had no answer to the speed and versatility combo of both of those guys.  I doubt Michigan would either, especially if they aren't used to seeing it with that kind of speed in the big 10. That's some spice that if mixed in well could break open some drives provided the line just gives a crease in run blocking and stalemates the interior D in pass blocking. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Fuck You 1

So I watched the Netflix special on Michigan cheating. Good watch. The school was definitely complicit with the guy cheating. Someone, a booster, was paying for people to go to games and film signals for all future opponents. They’ve been doing it just about as long as Michigan has gotten good again. Hmmmm. What a coincidence. 

The piece of shit doing it tried to make himself look innocent but he was without question guilty. He had a very very sophisticated stealing system he had developed himself. Smart kid who went to the Naval Academy. 

Interestingly he joined the Michigan staff as a volunteer and brought signal stealing in with him from Navy. 90% of schools have people who try to steal signals, legally.
However espn believes there are five schools that have been doing it illegally including Michigan , Utah, and Clemson. They didn’t name the other two. 

Bottom line is that a significant part of their success over the last two plus years came from stealing signs illegally. Are they still good? Of course.  But the stealing may have given them that final edge.

Finally, I laughed my ass off when espn revealed that it was the Surly of Ohio State message board that investigated and caught Michigan, along with an PI likely hired by Day, and blew the case wide open for the NCAA.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

GWp7YKUa8AACmti?format=jpg&name=large

Too much is being made on the talent gap.  It's actually not very large and a lot of our advantage is in the underclassmen.  It's pretty arguable that Michigan should have the better overall roster this year just looking at recruiting numbers and retention.  They actually didn't put very many soph/juniors into the NFL and have 24 scholarship seniors.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Too much is being made on the talent gap.  It's actually not very large and a lot of our advantage is in the underclassmen.  It's pretty arguable that Michigan should have the better overall roster this year just looking at recruiting numbers and retention.  They actually didn't put very many soph/juniors into the NFL and have 24 scholarship seniors.

What’s with the gap?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Like what?

Watch a game sometime. 

“We watched them run that play in practice this week.” It’s not uncommon for them to point out new formations, how a team intends to address certain situations, or whatever. And that doesn’t even get into whatever they don’t share directly on the air. 

Tom Brady’s access as a broadcaster will be restricted compared to other broadcasters if the Raiders thing happens. For multiple reasons, yeah, but partly because he’d have potentially beneficial access. It’s a conflict of interest. Or at least it has the appearance of one  

Better, imo, just not to have them making predictions partially based on that kind of info.

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

So I watched the Netflix special on Michigan cheating. Good watch. The school was definitely complicit with the guy cheating. Someone, a booster, was paying for people to go to games and film signals for all future opponents. They’ve been doing it just about as long as Michigan has gotten good again. Hmmmm. What a coincidence. 

The piece of shit doing it tried to make himself look innocent but he was without question guilty. He had a very very sophisticated stealing system he had developed himself. Smart kid who went to the Naval Academy. 

Interestingly he joined the Michigan staff as a volunteer and brought signal stealing in with him from Navy. 90% of schools have people who try to steal signals, legally.
However espn believes there are five schools that have been doing it illegally including Michigan , Utah, and Clemson. They didn’t name the other two. 

Bottom line is that a significant part of their success over the last two plus years came from stealing signs illegally. Are they still good? Of course.  But the stealing may have given them that final edge.

Finally, I laughed my ass off when espn revealed that it was the Surly of Ohio State message board that investigated and caught Michigan, along with an PI likely hired by Day, and blew the case wide open for the NCAA.  

One of the two has to be ou considering their history. 

• Hook 'Em 3

20 hours ago, Magus Ossis said:

Sorry for joining the sidetrack-- I'll post once and then leave it.  Our society is perfectly designed to fatten up humans. Those who have said you can lose weight on your own are right for the overwhelming majority of people. Focus on a few simple (yet requiring commitment) rules. If you burn more than you take in, you will lose weight. Most adults reach a point past which exercise in sufficient quantity to affect their weight is unlikely, so the focus should be largely on intake.

1. Only eat at meal time, and stop when you are full. Most people snack or graze at some point.

2. Only eat food over which you have control-- your own from home. The restaurants and food trucks, the sales people with donuts, etc all want to feed your pleasure centers rather than help you moderate your intake.

3. All carbohydrates (except dietary fiber) are sugar. Don't eat sugar if you are watching your weight. You will likely get plenty of sugar even while trying to eliminate it (some people have a medical condition like diabetes or hypoglycemia and need medical supervision on this one). Throw away the sugar in your house from the fridge and the pantry and don't replace it with more. Meat, eggs, greens, and "keto" formulations (the tortillas tend to be edible) are not sugar. Chances are that whatever else you are tempted to buy/eat is sugar or is high in sugar. Fat intake does not lead to the metabolic consequences that make weight loss hard the way that sugar does. Some bacon is OK, but throw away your sugar.

4. As stated above, do not drink calories. Milk is sugar water. Skim milk is sugar water with the delicious fat removed and the sugar retained. Fruit and fruit juice are sugar. Water, unsweetened tea, and unsweetened coffee are not sugar. Artificial sweeteners and diet sodas may increase cravings and impair your satiety signaling, so consume even them with caution.

5. Tell the people around you that you are trying to get in shape. They will be much less likely to sabotage you by inviting you to unhealthy eating and drinking opportunities, and they might even actively support you.

6. Don't go crazy, but give yourself a meal once a week without all the rules. You won't lose all your progress from one meal, and we tend to do better with occasional breaks.

I think you guys are taking what I said a little too seriously. I've actually lost 20-25 lbs myself since April with diet and exercise. I quit drinking a few weeks back too so I assume that will keep the weight loss going.

I fully understand how to lose weight and get in better shape. Still, it's a lot easier for someone like Sark who does have a personal trainer, personal chef, someone who grocery shops for him, etc. That's just a fact. There's a reason why rich people tend to be in better shape than poor people.

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

I think you guys are taking what I said a little too seriously. I've actually lost 20-25 lbs myself since April with diet and exercise. I quit drinking a few weeks back too so I assume that will keep the weight loss going.

I fully understand how to lose weight and get in better shape. Still, it's a lot easier for someone like Sark who does have a personal trainer, personal chef, someone who grocery shops for him, etc. That's just a fact. There's a reason why rich people tend to be in better shape than poor people.

Tom Cruise Reaction GIF

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, jw4381 said:

Tom Cruise Reaction GIF

lol not forever. Just had a daily habit I wanted to break. 3-5 drinks a day and more on weekends. Seemed like a bad habit to continue as a middle aged dad.

Hoping to go back to occasional drinking after 6-8 weeks off the booze.

--------------

On topic I think to have any chance Michigan needs to be able to run the ball well and get at least 2 turnovers.

Otherwise I feel good about our chances.

Edited by MotownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 5

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Pretty easy to guess who one of the other two is: Venables / OU

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Went back to watch the CSU game and just focused on the lines. 

I think too much has been made of the 118 rushing yards by CSU. In the entire first half, if you take away the final play of tbe half for 12 yards when Texas was just in deep prevent, CSU gained a total of 61 yards. We did not give up much on the ground at all. 

I couldn't find a yardage breakdown by quarter for rushing/passing, but almost all of their rushing yardage was after the game was over and the bench was in. After Texas scored the last TD at the beginning of the 4th CSU just started running almost every play to get out and gained 62 yds in the 4th quarter, probably at least 40 of them rushing. 

The D line got some penetration at times but was mostly very good at standing ground and allowing the linebackers to fly to the ball clean. 

On the other side the offensive line played well but had a few issues with overloads and stunts/twists. That could be an issue Saturday. 

After watching the game again I feel Michigan could have some real trouble with Sark's 2 back sets with Blue and Wisner. He really only used it for 1 drive but CSU had no answer to the speed and versatility combo of both of those guys.  I doubt Michigan would either, especially if they aren't used to seeing it with that kind of speed in the big 10. That's some spice that if mixed in well could break open some drives provided the line just gives a crease in run blocking and stalemates the interior D in pass blocking. 

They had 33 rushing yards in the 3Q and 32 in the 4Q.

16 hours ago, TejasPedro said:

I think Texas should have a converted C-17, shooting flares on approach, air drop our gear in the stadium parking lotspacer.png

Need 2 actually. (Bevo) . No need to airdrop equipment, could land in a parking lot at the opposing team stadium, and instead of flares, drop some processed human biological materials on to their tailgaters.

29 minutes ago, Juicy said:

Texas' Defensive side of the ball if anyone is interested 

https://mgoblog.com/content/fee-fi-foe-film-texas-defense-2024

2024%2002%20Texas-defense_0.jpg

Thanks for posting.  The article includes these two youtube clips intended to show our DTs are not as good as Sweat/Murphy.  Here are my thoughts:

Clip 1:

In this clip, Collins acts like he's never seen trap before.  He is absolutely lost--standing straight up--when he goes unblocked, and he gets blasted by the puller, setting up the huge gain.  I wonder if this is a "result" of having a DE spin down to a NG?  He just lacks the reps of knowing what to expect by someone who has played DT/NG their whole life, so he doesn't know to attack the puller when he's left unblocked.

Meanwhile, Gbenda and Hill both overrun the trap, missing the pulling guard and giving the RB a huge hole to run through.  The good news is that Michael Taafe takes the RBs head completely off.

Does this give me some concern for gap run schemes this weekend?  Yeah, maybe?  But this got cleaned up really quickly on Saturday.

Clip 2:

Here is an inside zone run in the third quarter.  Vernon Broughton pins his ears back for some odd reason and absolutely creates a gaping hole.  Far from "eating blocks to leave the linebackers free," he does the classic--run upfield away from the block.  As a result, there's a huge hole for the RB to slice through.  The other down linemen and linebackers generally play this run very well. 

However, Trey Moore's ballerina act is horrible technique against a better/faster opponent.  Here, he's able to use his speed to just stave off the blocker and force the RB to the outside.  But Broughton/Moore next to each other might also be some cause for concern in the run game.

Does this give me cause for concern about Michigan's zone scheme?  Not really.  I imagine we see a lot more Ethan Burke/Baryn Sorrell in this game than we do Trey Moore.  I also imagine we see a lot less Broughton and more Norton/Savea/Lole.

• Hook 'Em 5

11 minutes ago, Danimal said:

Pretty easy to guess who one of the other two is: Venables / OU

OU and BYU are the only two schools with both head coaches and defensive coordinators from the sign-stealing coaching trees.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

43 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

Lost 20 in two months eating like a maniac and limited exercise on an anti inflammatory diet. Sugar isn’t the enemy. Added sugar is the enemy. Fat isn’t the enemy, saturated fat is the enemy. When you eliminate all sources of inflammation from your diet you can eat all the natural foods including fruit that have amazing nutritional values. We have to stop seeing diet as merely calories, fat, protein and carbs. There are foods with sugar that should never be eliminated because they are loaded with micro nutrients we need. Ever read up on a fruit or veg and it says helps weight loss? Some even have carbs and sugar, how can that be? Potatoes are one of them… The enemies are added sugar and saturated fat. You can go a step further with high histamine foods but that’s probably not necessary. If you limit those to zero or near zero then the radical benefits of natural foods can take over. It’s fucking amazing and it’s not a fad it’s a true and sustainable whole food approach to life. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 6

12 hours ago, TotallyLegit said:

I heard we're using the same hologram technology they used to have Tupac perform at Coachella. There's gonna be like two dozen Sarks calling different plays on the sideline. The players will be told via radio headset to run the play being called by, e.g., Sark #7.

I’m pretty sure that’s totally legit.

58 minutes ago, Juicy said:

Texas' Defensive side of the ball if anyone is interested 

https://mgoblog.com/content/fee-fi-foe-film-texas-defense-2024

2024%2002%20Texas-defense_0.jpg

There are 3 five stars starting on that front for Texas and not one is indicated as such. Collins, Muhammad, and Hill. Simmons isn’t even noted as a player on the roster. 

• Hook 'Em 5

Horns247 Staff Predictions: No. 3 Texas vs. No. 10 Michigan

All five 247 staff members picked Texas, with an mean score of 27.8 - 16.6.

Four of the five have it as a two-score Texas win.

Spoiler

There is a lot on the line when the No. 3 Texas Longhorns travel to the Big House in Ann Arbor to face the No. 10 Michigan Wolverines at the Big House. The Horns247 staff has score predictions for one of the biggest non-conference games of the 2024 college football season.

Texas head football coach Steve Sarkisian was adamant that no matter what happened last September when traveling to Tuscaloosa to face then-No. 3 Alabama at Bryant-Denny Stadium, it wouldn't define the Longhorns' season.

It's impossible to downplay the magnitude of the 34-24 triumph over the Crimson Tide. It became a springboard to 12 wins, a conference championship and a berth in the College Football Playoff rather than a fleeting, feel-good moment or the premature apex of a promising campaign.

When it visits No. 10 Michigan on Saturday (11 a.m., Fox), No. 3 Texas has a chance to end two of the Wolverines' notable streaks — a 16-game winning streak (the longest active streak in FBS) and 23 consecutive victories in a row at Michigan Stadium. Michigan could deny the Longhorns a second consecutive road win over an opponent ranked in the top 10 of the Associated Press Top 25 if the reigning national champions emerge victorious as a 7.5-point home underdog.

The location and opponent for the program's marquee non-conference clash of 2024 are different, but Sarkisian's mindset remains the same.

"This game isn't going to define our season," Sarkisian said on Monday. "If we win the game, that doesn't automatically declare us that we're going to be in this great team. If we don't win the game, that doesn't mean that the season was a failure. There's a lot of football left to be played."

That said, a Texas win over the Wolverines would further prove Sarkisian's current trajectory is headed toward the program's fifth national title. The result of the Michigan game won't get the Longhorns into the 12-team CFP or keep them out, but as Sarkisian said, it'll "serve as a bit of a barometer" of where they stand in the college football pecking order.

"We're going to get challenged in all three phases and then, 'OK, what do we need to work on and where do we need to keep growing and getting ourselves prepared for the Southeastern Conference?'" Sarkisian said. "Ideally, it can serve as a springboard for the rest of the season.

"We'll find out Saturday, I guess, around 3:30, 4 [p.m.] or so."

Regarding how things might play out when two of college football's winningest programs (Michigan is No. 1 all-time in FBS wins with 1,005; Texas is fourth with 949 victories), the Horns247 staff has their thoughts and score predictions for Saturday's showdown.

HORNS247 STAFF PREDICTIONS: No. 3 TEXAS vs. No. 10 MICHIGAN

Chip Brown

Quinn Ewers had one of the best games of his career in last season's road win over Alabama. Can he rekindle the road magic and help Texas dispatch the reigning national champions? (Photo: Tim Warner, Getty)

Can Quinn Ewers and this team rekindle the magic they had in Week 2 a year ago when the Longhorns came out aggressively against Alabama and had answers whenever the Crimson Tide punched back?

I say yes.

I mean, games like this are why Ewers came back to Texas for a third year. Steve Sarkisian lives for games like this in terms of the play-calling chess match.

Fresno State quarterback Mikey Keene completed 22 of 36 passes against Michigan. Last year, at Alabama, Ewers completed 24 of 38 passes. You can throw on this Michigan defense, and you can count on Sarkisian to throw to set up the run.

I'll take the Texas defense against the shoot, ready, aim approach the Michigan offense had last week.

Yes, I expect to see a different, more intense, more focused Michigan team than we saw last week. But if both teams play their best, Texas wins. And if Michigan turns it over, Texas wins big. I see Texas scoring either a special teams or defensive touchdown.

Prediction: Texas 27, Michigan 13

Jeff Howe

Can Davis Warren or Alex Orji beat Texas throwing the football? Based on Michigan's season opener against Fresno State, it seems unlikely.

I'm not expecting Texas to run the ball down Michigan's throat. I'm not expecting the Longhorns to effectively run the ball enough to win the rushing yardage battle.

That said, Texas didn't outgain Alabama on the ground in last season's 34-24 win in Tuscaloosa. The vertical passing game the Longhorns used to topple the Crimson Tide wasn't there in the Colorado State game. It didn't need to be a big part of the offense because Texas went up and down the field (545 total yards and 7.7 yards per play) with Quinn Ewers throwing only one pass that traveled 20 or more yards down the field.

Steve Sarkisian admitted this week that he had the offense work on certain plays in fall camp without telling them they'd be used for the Michigan game. The home-and-home series with Alabama showed how good Sarkisian is building a plan for a top-tier non-conference opponent and I wouldn't expect anything different on Saturday.

Three things will determine success or failure at the end of the day for the offense: playing a clean game (Ewers was responsible for three turnovers in last season's 34-30 loss to Oklahoma, which was the team's only loss during the regular season), patience (especially when trying to run the ball) and staying on schedule (avoiding predictable down and distances when Sarkisian's playbook shrinks and Michigan defensive coordinator Wink Martindale can release the hounds on Ewers).

If I'm Pete Kwiatkowski, I make sure that if Michigan beats me it's with Davis Warren and Alex Orji throwing the football.

It was a one-game sample, but outside of an elite tight end in Colston Loveland, the Wolverines didn't appear to have a game-breaking presence on the perimeter against Fresno State. Michigan lacks experience along the offensive line. Still, if the group gains some confidence early and Kalel Mullings and/or Donovan Edwards get going, it could be a long day for the Texas defense with possessions at a premium for Ewers and Co.

When in doubt, pick the team with the most trusted head coach and quarterback to win a big game. Even if one wanted to give the edge to Sherrone Moore over Sarkisian, Ewers is far and away the best quarterback on either side.

Ewers has lost six games as a starting quarterback for the Longhorns. The five quarterbacks who've won head-to-head meetings with Ewers are Bryce Young, Spencer Sanders, Max Duggan, Dillon Gabriel and Michael Penix Jr. (twice).

Unless Michigan hits the waiver wire in the next 48 hours, or if one of the Wolverine quarterbacks has the game of a career and can out-duel Ewers, I'll go with the proven commodity at the most important position on the field to get the job done.

Prediction: Texas 27, Michigan 16

Eric Henry

Jahdae Barron had an interception in the season opener against Colorado State to help the defense pitch a shutout. Things figure to much different on Saturday against Michigan.

Texas' first two games of the season are a perfect opportunity to answer two major questions hovering over the club to start 2024.

In a season-opening annihilation of Colorado State, the much-maligned Longhorn pass defense from a season ago held one of the nation's top passing attacks to 74 yards through the air. That's the lowest passing total in Rams head coach Jay Norvell's seven seasons as a collegiate head coach.

Now, Week 2 sees Texas head to Michigan to take on a Wolverines' team whose identity is rooted in being physical and running the football, led by offensive line coach-turned-head coach Sherrone Moore. Against the Rams, none of the 106 yards allowed to Colorado State running back Justin Marshall were of any real consequence.

However, last season's Longhorn run defense allowed just two 100-yard rushing days (Oklahoma's Dillon Gabriel and Wyoming's Harrison Waylee). My expectation is just as the pass defense rose to the occasion in the season-opener, the run defense will answer the call playing in front of a national spotlight.

The Longhorns are too fast on both sides of the ball and Quinn Ewers' Heisman candidacy will take flight with the litany of weapons at his disposal.

Prediction: Texas 27, Michigan 17

Hank South

Ethan Burke and the Texas pass rush will look to get after the quarterback of a marquee non-conference opponent for the second season in a row.

For anyone who thinks Texas will steamroll Michigan on Saturday, expectations should be dialed back just a tad. The Wolverines, while lacking firepower on offense, still boast one of the nation's top defenses and will have 107,000 fans behind them trying to rattle Quinn Ewers and company.

The defending national champions will certainly present a major challenge, but not one Texas hasn't seen before.

Last season, this same weekend, Ewers led the Longhorns into Bryant-Denny Stadium and snapped a 21-game home win streak that the Alabama Crimson Tide had going. The Wolverines have a 23-game home win streak that UT would like to shatter. 

Texas has the team to do it, too.

The Longhorns have playmakers galore on offense who will give UM headaches and should be able to create some big plays against the vaunted Michigan defense. Eleven players caught a pass from Ewers last weekend in the deepest Texas team we've seen in some time.

The defense pitched a shutout against Colorado State and should be able to create enough pressure on whichever quarterback is playing. This should be a contest where we truly see the strength of the revamped defensive front minus T'Vondre Sweat and Byron Murphy as Michigan is likely to lean on Donovan Edwards and its rushing attack. 

I think Texas wins comfortably but not in any sort of blowout fashion.

Prediction: Texas 28, Michigan 13

Jordan Scruggs

Steve Sarkisian has a chance to notch a signature win in non-conference play for the second consecutive season. It won't be easy since Michigan has won 16 games in a row and 23 straight at the Big House.

Some Texas fans are hoping for a blowout after seeing how Michigan performed against Fresno State. I think that's unrealistic since the Wolverines return a plethora of talented players from a national championship team amid offseason attrition, including 13 picks in the 2024 draft.

Michigan is built to play with a lead. Sherrone Moore's team wants to dominate the time of possession. If the Longhorns can avoid getting behind, I like their chances of controlling the game with their offense.

I believe it'll be the burnt orange setting the tone when it comes to offensive firepower.

Playing in the largest stadium in the country will surely affect the team once the game starts, but it's not like Texas hasn't been in similar situations.

A lot of guys on the roster played in or traveled to Tuscaloosa last season for the Alabama game. There are a few Longhorns who were a part of the Arkansas game in Fayetteville in 2021, so this is a team that's experienced hostile environments.

If things go as predicted, Steve Sarkisian will arrive back home Saturday night with another signature win and a nice springboard before SEC play starts at the end of the month.

Prediction: Texas 30, Michigan 24

• Hook 'Em 3